repost owner review Expedition poles David Bradish

  • d_bradish
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22 2:01 PM
      Hello Roger,

      Ray laughed so I guess I was not supposed to ask for someone. He is a
      clown. But he is helping me with my pictures so I wont fire him yet.
      I have the review in the test folder. It is named owner review
      Expedition poles David Bradish.

      Thank you,

      Dave

      BLACK DIAMOND EXPEDITION TREKKING POLES
      BY DAVID BRADISH
      OR
      February 18, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: David Bradish
      EMAIL: davebradish@...
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      I started hiking in my teens in Arizona and New Mexico, primarily
      focusing on winter hiking Since 1991 I have hiked a lot with my
      brother-in-law Ray mostly in California's Sierra Nevada range, and
      the southern mountains. In winter I bring as much gear as necessary
      to be safe and comfortable. For 3 season I try to follow the
      priciples of ultra light.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Black Diamond
      "http://www.bdel.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 79.95
      Listed Weight: Not given
      Measured Weight: 22.2oz (629 g)
      Length: 125 cm/49" comes in 140 cm/55" also
      Shortest length: 57 cm/22.5"
      Longest length: to the stop marks 127 cm/50"
      Limited Warranty: For climbing and backcountry ski gear we warrant
      for one year from purchase date and only to the original retail buyer
      (Buyer) that our products (Products) are free from defects in
      material and workmanship. For headlamps our warranty is for three
      years. If Buyer discovers a covered defect, Buyer should deliver the
      Product to us at the address on the back cover. We will replace such
      Product free of charge. That is the extent of our liability under
      this Warranty and, upon expiration of the applicable warranty period,
      all such liability shall terminate.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Expedition Poles are a three piece trekking poles that telescope
      into themselves to make them compact for ease of carrying. They are
      made of aluminum with a sharp carbide tip at the end. The upper shaft
      of aluminum is colored blue. The two lower sections are shiny
      aluminum.

      The sections are locked together with flick locks. They are plastic
      or nylon locks that have a lever that uses a cam action to pinch
      closed the lock when the lever is folded into the shaft. The locks
      are black.

      Each section of shaft has markings for adjustment . They go from 85
      cm to 125 cm and are every 5 cm apart.

      At the end of each pole is a carbide tip. It can be pulled out with
      pliers to replace it. Just above it is is a 3/4 basket to keep the
      pole from pushing through the snow.

      At the top of the poles are the grips which are made of two kinds of
      rubber. The black rubber is soft and gripable. The blue rubber is
      harder and kind of slick. A webbing strap is attached to the top of
      the grips. The strap adjusts through a plastic buckle.

      FEILD USE

      I took the Expeditions on three trips over two and a half years in
      the Bristlecone Pine Forest in California's White Mountains. I also
      used them many times in the San Bernardino and San Jacinto mountains.
      The best trip was to Shasta in 2004. The highest elevation was
      13300'/4054m and they have been on all kinds of snow and ice. This
      picture is coming back from White Mountain in 2005.

      FIELD EXPERIENCES

      I used to use some trekking poles from REI but did not like how they
      would keep slipping their adjustment when I used them in snow. My
      wife's brother Ray was having the same problem and found us the
      Expedition poles. They work great. I have never had a pole slip again
      since I got these. The locks are easy to use, even with thick gloves
      on. It is very easy to reset the length, but I leave them at one
      setting most of the time.

      The tips are very sharp and stick in ice and iced over snow well. I
      have never had to replace them.

      I don't really use the straps much. Only if I am going down hill on
      skis so I don't drop one. They are easy to adjust , but I leave them
      at the widest setting.

      The aluminum shafts are very strong. I use them as an anchor
      sometimes to keep my sled from blowing away. One time I got up in the
      morning and they were frozen into the snow so hard that I had to use
      an ice axe to get them out of it. I have also used them this way to
      tie lines to my tent.

      The grips are comfortable to use. I almost always wear gloves but the
      times I did not the grips were fine and I did not slip.

      The baskets that came with them work well. They have teeth under them
      that grabs in packed snow.

      My regular poles are very light weight because they are made of
      carbon fiber and the Expeditions feel very heavy compared to them.
      Ray has some poles he is testing that are carbon fiber and have the
      flick locks. I might have to get some too.

      Pros

      Do not slip
      Easy to adjust
      Strong