Attn: Eric Olsen - Re: OWNER REVIEW - MSR PocketRocket

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hi Eric,

      Welcome and thank you for you Owner Review. As of right now I cannot
      accept your OR, unfortunately, there are several "piece" missing that
      we require. One large missing section that stood out to me is your
      lack of field information and details regarding the use of this stove.
      Please take a look at www.backpackgeartest.org under the "How to
      Become a Tester" section and consider reading some other stove reviews
      for an idea of what kind of information we are looking for. Secondly,
      I would highly recommend sending an email to Jennifer P, the mentor
      coordinator, at (jennifer.pope@...). She can hook you up with a
      BGT mentor who will help you learn the ropes and get going on your
      first 2 Owner Reviews.

      Best of luck.
      Regards,
      Jamie DeBenedetto
      BGT OR Edit Admin Manager
    • Eric Olsen
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2007
        Mountain Safety Research POCKET ROCKET
        BY ERIC OLSEN
        OR
        February 02, 2007

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Eric Olsen
        EMAIL: eric.m.olsen@...
        AGE: 28
        LOCATION: Utah
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
        WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

        Backpacking Background: Grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska spending about 5-7
        nights a year camping with my family until I was 12. From then until I was
        18 I spent about 14 nights a year , mostly in the summer. The last 10 years
        I have lived in Utah and have spent about 10 nights a year in all seasons.
        These nights are split mostly between ultralight 1-2 night trips and
        ultra-heavy 1-2 night car camping. I am a frugal consumer and like to get
        the best bang for my buck.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Assembled Stove">>
        Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
        Year of Manufacture: 2001
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.msrcorp.com"
        LINK TEXT = "MSR Home Page">>
        MSRP: US $39.95
        Listed Weight: 3 oz (86 g) without fuel canister
        Measured Weight: 3 oz (86 g) Stove Only. 4.3 oz (122 g) with case, without
        canister
        Other details: Uses compressed fuel canisters

        FIELD USE

        I purchased it based on the advertisements and positive reviews in outdoor
        magazines and have yet to be disappointed. It is quick to set up, boils
        water in a hurry, and packs away almost as quickly (though don't pack it
        away until it is cool, I expect it could melt the plastic case. It has
        worked nearly flawlessly for the 5 years that I have had it. It seems very
        reliable and I have not had to perform any maintenance on it. I have used
        the stove at least 15 times in the 5 years that I have owned it. A few
        notable trips that demonstrate use include:

        A spring car camping trip to Gunlock Reservoir near Saint George, Utah.
        There were 5 people on the trip. It was about 70 F (21 C) during the day
        and got down to about 45 F (7 C) at night. There was very limited wind. The
        PocketRocket was used for breakfast for for the 5 of us boiling water for
        oatmeal and drinks. One night we pushed it to its limits trying to cook
        pasta for the whole group. While bringing nearly 3/4 gallons (2.84 L) of
        water to a boil one of the post supports gave out. The supports often get a
        bit of red glow to them but the weight became to much for it. I was able
        to bend the support back and cook the pasta with about .5 gallons (1.89 L).

        A spring climb to the top of "Y" mountain next to Provo, Utah. It was a
        single night trip to test some ultralight gear. The light weight and
        compactness of the PocketRocket and simpleness of food taken make it a
        perfect choice. THe trip covered 8 miles (12.9 Km) going from an elevation
        of about 5200 feet (1585 m) to the peak at 8559 feet (2609 m) and back.
        Temperatures we warm (about 65 F (18 C) at dinner to 45 F (7 C) at
        breakfast The stove was used to boil water for dinner as well as for
        breakfast. Despite the altitude the stove had no problem bringing 16 ounces
        (.47 liter) to a quick boil (I did not time it but fast)

        A final trip showing the use of the PocketRocket was a winter snowshoe day
        trip. It was for a winter camping class and we were forced to cook a meal
        on a day trip rather than my traditionally more simple lunches. We were
        scrambling some eggs with the fuel canister placed directly on the snow.
        This caused 2 problems. First, the base was not very stable and the whole
        unit (pan, stove, fuel canister) tipped over spilling out eggs (see
        picture). The stove didn't go out when tipped over and with better
        preparation of the base it did just fine after that.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove with Case">>

        SUMMARY

        It set up fast, boils water quickly, and packs away small and safe. It has
        performed nearly worry free in a variety of conditions.

        THINGS I LIKE

        * Extreme light weight - 3 ounces (86 g) is hard to beat
        * Very small size - can be fit inside many pots, even small ones if you
        leave the original case at home.
        * Fairly stable despite small size - as long as you do not overload the
        stove or are on soft terrain.
        * Ease to ignite stove - As with most canister stoves it requires no pumping
        or priming.
        * Ease of flame adjustment. Can be adjusted from a roaring boil to a simmer
        though I rarely simmer

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Winter Trip">>

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        * It is a little hard to get back into its original case.
        * It is not overly strong - I only had one problem and that was when I was
        boiling about .75 gallon (2.84 liters) of water with pasta and one of the
        three pot supports bent. I bent it back and it has continued to work fine.
        * As with most fuel canister stoves, to keep it running well, I had keep the
        fuel bottle from getting very cold, especially when almost empty.
        * The stability is limited to the base of the fuel canister. Not a problem
        in most cases but snow caused me a problem one time.

        SIGNATURE

        Eric Olsen
        www.thearticsummit.com

        Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

      • Eric Olsen
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20MSR%20PocketRocket%20-%20Eric%20Olsen/

          Mountain Safety Research POCKET ROCKET
          BY ERIC OLSEN
          OR
          February 02, 2007

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Eric Olsen
          EMAIL: eric.m.olsen at gmail dot com
          AGE: 28
          LOCATION: Utah
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
          WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

          Backpacking Background: Grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska spending about 5-7
          nights a year camping with my family until I was 12. From then until I was
          18 I spent about 14 nights a year, mostly in the summer. The last 10 years
          I have lived in Utah and have spent about 10 nights a year in all seasons.
          These nights are split mostly between ultralight 1-2 night trips and
          ultra-heavy 1-2 night car camping. I am a frugal consumer and like to get
          the best bang for my buck.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove and
          case">>Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
          Year of Manufacture: 2001
          Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.msrcorp.com"
          LINK TEXT = "MSR Home Page">>
          MSRP: US $39.95
          Listed Weight: 3 oz (86 g) without fuel canister
          Measured Weight: 3 oz (86 g) Stove Only. 4.3 oz (122 g) with case, no
          canister
          Listed size: 4x4x2 inches (10x10x5 cm)
          Measured packed size: Packed in case - a triangle with 2.25 inch (6 cm)
          sides and 4.5 inches (11 cm) tall.
          Measured pot supports: inner diameter of pot supports is 2" inches (5 cm)
          and outer diameter is 4.75 inches (12 cm)
          Materials: pot supports-steel, mount to bottle- aluminum, nozzle-brass,
          washer seal-rubber.
          Other details: Uses compressed fuel canisters

          FIELD INFORMATION

          I have used the stove from sea level in California and Alaska to 8559 feet
          (2609 m) in Utah. Temperatures have ranged from 25 F (-4 C) to 100 F (38
          C). Terrain varied from dry sand desert to dense forest. Weather
          encountered included rain, snow and wind but was mostly used in dry, warm
          and calm conditions.

          FIELD USE

          I purchased it based on the advertisements and positive reviews in outdoor
          magazines and have yet to be disappointed. It is quick to set up, boils
          water in a hurry, and packs away almost as quickly (though don't pack it
          away until it is cool, I expect it could melt the plastic case. It has
          worked nearly flawlessly for the 5 years that I have had it. It seems very
          reliable and I have not had to perform any maintenance on it. I have used
          the stove at least 15 times in the 5 years that I have owned it. A few
          notable trips that demonstrate use include:

          A spring car camping trip to Gunlock Reservoir near Saint George, Utah.
          There were 5 people on the trip. It was about 70 F (21 C) during the day
          and got down to about 45 F (7 C) at night. There was very limited wind.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Winter Trip">>The
          PocketRocket was used for breakfast for the 5 of us boiling water for
          oatmeal and drinks. One night we pushed it to its limits trying to cook
          pasta for the whole group. While bringing nearly 3/4 gallons (2.84 L) of
          water to a boil one of the post supports gave out. The supports often get a
          bit of red glow to them but this time the weight became too much for it. I
          was able to bend the support back and cook the pasta with about .5 gallons (
          1.89 L).

          A spring climb to the top of "Y" mountain next to Provo, Utah. It was a
          single night trip to test some ultralight gear. The light weight and
          compactness of the PocketRocket and simple variety of food taken make it a
          perfect choice. The trip covered 8 miles (12.9 Km) going from an elevation
          of about 5200 feet (1585 m) to the peak at 8559 feet (2609 m) and back.
          Temperature was warm (about 65 F (18 C) at dinner to 45 F (7 C) at
          breakfast The stove was used to boil water for dinner as well as for
          breakfast. Despite the altitude the stove had no problem bringing 16 ounces
          (.47 liter) to a quick boil (I did not time it but fast)

          A final trip showing the use of the PocketRocket was a winter snowshoe day
          trip. It was for a winter camping class and we were forced to cook a meal
          on a day trip rather than my traditionally more simple lunches. We were
          scrambling some eggs with the fuel canister placed directly on the snow.
          This caused two problems. First, the base was not very stable and the whole
          unit (pan, stove, fuel canister) tipped over spilling out eggs (see
          picture). The stove didn't go out when tipped over and with better
          preparation of the base it did just fine after that.

          BOIL TEST

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Assembled
          stove">>As I have yet to time a boil on an actual trip I decided to run some
          tests to try and get some boil times. In every experiment I used 16.9 oz
          (500 mL) and did not use the lid (in case you want to be using it for
          something else). I started with a mostly used MSR IsoPro canister (80/20
          isobutene/propane mix). This 8oz canister new weighs 12.75 oz (361 g) and
          empty 4.75 oz (135 g). I started tests with a weight of 6 oz (170g) and
          used it up. Here are the results:

          With air and water at 69 degrees F (31 C) at medium heat = 3:10 and used .2
          oz (6 g) of fuel
          With air and water at 69 degrees F (31 C) at full blast = 2: 35 and used .3
          oz (8.5 g) of fuel
          With air at 25 degrees F (-4 C) and water at 35 F (2 C) at medium heat =
          6:30 and used .4 oz (11 g) of fuel
          With air at 25 degrees F (-4 C) and water at 35 F (2 C) at full blast = 7:05
          and used .3 oz (8.5 g)
          The stove then burned with some shaking and holding the fuel canister (to
          heat it) for another 7 minutes and had better flame than the last two tests.

          So all in all it burned for 26:20 on 1.25 oz (35 g) of fuel. This was at
          varying amounts of flame (for the last two tests I think due to the end of
          the canister and the cold the flame was very low). At this same rate it
          would burn for 2 hours 46 minutes. This is higher than the stated 1-2 hours
          on the bottle and is probably due to the slow fuel use for 13 of the 26
          minute test. In any case, a few things to note are:

          It can boil sufficient water in a hurry.
          Near the end of the bottle beware of cold. If I expect it to get close to
          freezing I sleep with a water bottle and my fuel canister.

          THINGS I LIKE

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove inside
          pot">>* Extreme light weight - 3 ounces (86 g) is hard to beat
          * Very small size - can be fit inside many pots, even small ones if you
          leave the original case at home.
          * Fairly stable despite small size - I have not had a problem unless I
          overloaded the stove or I was on soft terrain.
          * Ease to ignite stove - As with most canister stoves it requires no pumping
          or priming.
          * Ease of flame adjustment. Can be adjusted from a roaring boil to a simmer
          though I rarely simmer

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          * It is a tiny bit hard for me to get back into its original case.
          * It is not overly strong - I only had one problem and that was when I was
          boiling about .75 gallon (2.84 liters) of water with pasta and one of the
          three pot supports bent. (not very smart on my part I'll admit.) I bent it
          back and it has continued to work fine.
          * As with most fuel canister stoves, to keep it running well, I had to keep
          the fuel bottle from getting very cold, especially when almost empty.
          * The stability is limited to the base of the fuel canister. Not a problem
          in most cases but snow caused me a problem one time.

          SUMMARY

          It set up fast, boils water quickly, and packs away small and safe. It has
          performed nearly worry free in a variety of conditions. I love it.

          SIGNATURE

          Eric Olsen
          www.thearcticsummit.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
            Glad you stuck with it Eric. :)

            reviews before submission.

            Moderator.

            will use APPROVED in the subject line.

            the list or contact me directly.

            Edit Administration Manager
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2007
              Hello Eric,

              Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
              will take the following format;

              EDIT: must be changed

              When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
              to the subject line.

              Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
              you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
              for example of the proper form and substance.

              A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
              experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
              If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
              request a mentor by sending an email to Jennifer Pope, the mentor
              coordinator, at (jennifer.pope@...).

              Ray

              Well, that is the standard info that I start someone off with on
              their first review. You have been doing your homework I see as you
              already are using the Report Writer and have the HTML in the test
              folder. Good. I will work from the HTML version then and we will get
              this done all that much faster. Good job. After the changes put the
              new version back in the test folder after deleting the first one.

              Also, you need your name in the subject line of all posts please.

              *** LOCATION: Utah

              EDIT: We need more info than just the state. This is from the
              Survival Guide that you should read completely before getting to the
              testing phase. "City (or region), state, and country where you live."

              ***Manufacturer's Website: MSR Home Page

              EDIT: you need the actual URL written out here, hyperlinked as you
              have it.

              ***Measured Weight: 3 oz (86 g) Stove Only.

              EDIT: 3 oz (86 g) stove only. (no caps)

              ***Listed size: 4x4x2 inches (10x10x5 cm)

              EDIT: 4 x 4 x 2 inches (10 x 10 x 5 cm)

              ***Materials: pot supports-steel, mount to bottle- aluminum,

              Edit: mount to bottle- aluminum? On my stove the threads that mount
              to the bottle are not aluminum. Are you talking about the outer
              housing? I think aluminum would not last very long screwing on and
              off of a steel canister.

              ***and packs away almost as quickly (though don't pack it away until
              it is cool, I expect it could melt the plastic case.

              EDIT: where are you closing the parentheses?

              ***While bringing nearly 3/4 gallons (2.84 L) of water to a boil

              Comment: yikes! That almost constitutes little-stove-abuse…

              ***It was a single night trip to test some ultralight gear.

              Question: who do you test gear for?

              ***Despite the altitude the stove had no problem bringing 16 ounces
              (.47 liter) to a quick boil (I did not time it but fast)

              EDIT: (I did not time it but "it was" fast)

              First, the base was not very stable and the whole unit (pan, stove,
              fuel canister) tipped over spilling out eggs (see picture).

              Comment: Yeah, I was going to say "Never cook on yellow snow".

              ***In every experiment I used 16.9 oz (500 mL) and did not use the
              lid (in case you want to be using it for something else).

              EDIT: can you replace "you" with "I" so as not to be projecting? We
              keep the reviews in the first person.

              *** Very small size - can be fit inside many pots, even small ones if
              you leave the original case at home.

              EDIT: same thing

              ***(not very smart on my part I'll admit.)

              EDIT: (Not very smart on my part I'll admit.) need the cap here
            • James Sterling
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                Mountain Safety Research (MSR) PocketRocket Stove

                Tester Bio

                Name:
                Jes Sterling
                Age:
                26
                Gender:
                Male
                Height:
                5’8” (1.7 m)
                Weight:
                185 lbs. (84 kg)
                Email address:
                sterline@...
                City, State, Country:
                Columbia, SC, USA
                Date:
                1/8/2008
                Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for about 12 years
                now. Because of my busy schedule, I usually only get to go out for 2
                or 3 nights at a time, but I have been out for as many as 5 nights.
                I normally backpack the Southern Appalachians, but I have also been
                found in swamps and coastal areas. I try to keep my pack lighter
                than 50 lbs., but have recently been working to scale the weight
                down. My goal for my next trip is 25 lbs.

                Product information

                Manufacturer
                : Mountain Safety Research (MSR)

                Year of manufacture
                : 1999

                Manufacturer’s Website: http://www.msrcorp.com

                Listed weight
                : 3 oz.

                Weight as delivered: 3 oz. (plus 1 oz. more in storage container)

                MSRP: $39.95

                Product description

                The MSR PocketRocket is a great stove for the cost, weight, and
                size. It is a canister-mounted stove and uses MSR’s Isopro fuel
                canisters. It comes in a triangular, hard plastic container,
                measures only 4”x 4”x 2”, and weighs only 4 oz. Full extension
                of its pot supports creates an equilateral triangular pot support
                base with about 3 in. between support points. The PocketRocket also
                sports a “quickclip” built-in windscreen and a “glove-
                friendly” valve adjuster.

                Field information

                I have used this stove in climates ranging from low-lying swamps to
                6,000 ft. peaks. I have used it in warm, dry weather, summer
                thunderstorms, autumn winds, and even in a winter storm rolling over
                the peak of North Carolina’s Cold Mountain (6,030 ft.). I bought
                this stove in 1999 and have used it on every backpacking trip I have
                taken since.

                Summary

                Overall, the PocketRocket has proven itself to be a durable,
                reliable, and easy-to-use stove. In the 8 years since I bought it, I
                have never once needed to clean or prime it to get it going. Simply
                screw it on to the fuel canister, turn the valve, and light it. I
                can generally boil a small pot of water (about 3 cups) in just over 2
                minutes, depending, of course, on altitude and weather conditions. I
                have used the stove to make everything from ramen noodles to pancakes
                and it has always worked well.

                The MSR Isopro fuel canisters that it runs on are easily found in
                just about any outdoors shop and can be purchased through the MSR
                website. The canisters come in 4 oz. and 8 oz. sizes. I have always
                bought the 8 oz., which normally runs about $7.00 and will last, at
                the very least, 2 trips if I am only cooking for myself.

                The PocketRocket’s drawbacks are typical to any canister-mounted
                stove. The stove sits high on top of the canister so it is important
                to find a flat and level space to cook on and use extra care when
                stirring the pot, particularly if you are cooking something thick.
                Another drawback is that the flame tends to concentrate in the middle
                of the pan, thus making stirring a constant if you need to use high
                heat and simmering can be difficult. The “quickclip” wind shield
                does not work well in high winds and, due to the height of the unit
                when cooking, cooking in high winds is nearly impossible unless you
                are inside the tent (which, of course carries with it the standard
                safety hazards).

                Overall, though, I would consider the PocketRocket an excellent piece
                of gear. The price is relatively low, there is no maintenance, the
                fuel is not expensive, the weight of the stove and 8 oz. fuel
                canister together is only slightly more than 1 lb., and the stove has
                proven reliable for me for 8 years

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 18, 2008

                  reviews before submission.

                  Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
                  backpackgeartest.org).

                  Moderator.

                  will use APPROVED in the subject line.

                  the list or contact me directly.

                  Edit Administration Manager
                • Mark McLauchlin - Swan Valley IT
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                    Why would this be coming through now when the post was/Is dated Sun May 11,
                    2003 10:07 pm

                    Cheers

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                      You been on the turps Mark?

                      Mine shows Jamie's post as Sat 19/01/2008 3:15 PM.

                      Bottoms up

                      Ralph

                      _____

                      From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                        MMM, only 1 beer so far.

                        If you check out the "messages in this topic" that's where I got the date
                        from. Also the date in the OR.

                        Weird

                        _____

                        From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com

                        From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                          Ok. Rod has put an incorrect date in his bio for whatever reason. The editor
                          will pick that up.

                          Have another ale.

                          Ralph

                          _____

                          From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com
                          Sent: Saturday, 19 January 2008 5:32 PM
                          To: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com
                          - MSR PocketRocket

                          Why would this be coming through now when the post was/Is dated Sun May 11,
                          2003 10:07 pm

                          Cheers

                          _,___

                        • rayestrella1
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                            Hello Jes,

                            Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
                            will take the following format;

                            EDIT: must be changed

                            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                            to the subject line. Include your name also please.

                            Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
                            you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
                            for examples of the proper form.

                            A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
                            experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
                            If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
                            request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
                            K, at mentor@...

                            Ray

                            ***Columbia, SC, USA

                            EDIT: you need to spell out the name of the State for the benefit of
                            our international readers

                            ***1/8/2008

                            EDIT: for the same reason you need to spell out the date. Different
                            parts of the world use different numerical orders

                            ***Listed weight: 3 oz.

                            ***Weight as delivered: 3 oz. (plus 1 oz. more in storage container)

                            EDIT: all weights and measrements need metric conversions. Also the
                            abbreviations should not have a period after them (lb oz etc) Please
                            look for all instances of this.

                            ***MSRP: $39.95

                            EDIT: "US" $39.95, or 39.95 USD

                            ***It comes in a triangular, hard plastic container, measures only
                            4”x 4”x 2”, and weighs only 4 oz.

                            EDIT: your measurements seemed to have been Yahoo'd. But they all
                            need metric conversions. If you can't get them to display correctly
                            here I will check them in the HTML when we get to that point.

                            ***Full extension of its pot supports creates an equilateral
                            triangular pot support
                            base with about 3 in. between support points.

                            EDIT: conversion needed. Also you could certainly describe the stove
                            in more detail. Extension of what pot supports? How do they deploy?
                            What does the stove consist of? Burner head, valve, etc? How does the
                            fuel attach? Take a look at some of the reports and reviews from
                            veteran testers for examples of what I am referring to.

                            ***The PocketRocket also sports a glove-friendly valve adjuster.

                            Edit: flame control?

                            ***The MSR Isopro fuel canisters that it runs on are easily found in
                            just about any outdoors shop

                            EDIT: we try to avoid projection and speculation by staying away from
                            comments like that. Unless we have been to "just about any shop" we
                            can't know that. Better to say, "I have found the IsoPro fuel at most
                            outdoors shops> or something like that which keeps it to your own
                            observations.

                            ***and can be purchased through the MSR website.

                            Edit: are you sure about that?

                            ***The canisters come in 4 oz. and 8 oz. sizes. I have always bought
                            the 8 oz., which normally runs about $7.00

                            EDIT: metric conversions needed, and we do not put the prices of
                            things other than the MSRP from the manufacturer. Please take the
                            price out.

                            ***The PocketRocket’s drawbacks are typical to any canister-mounted
                            stove.

                            EDIT: again unless you have tried them all you should not say this.
                            How about "any canister stoves in your experiences"?

                            ***The stove sits high on top of the canister so it is important
                            to find a flat and level space to cook on and use extra care when
                            stirring the pot, particularly if you are cooking something thick.
                            Another drawback is that the flame tends to concentrate in the middle
                            of the pan, thus making stirring a constant if you need to use high
                            heat and simmering can be difficult. The “quickclip” wind shield
                            does not work well in high winds and, due to the height of the unit
                            when cooking, cooking in high winds is nearly impossible unless you
                            are inside the tent (which, of course carries with it the standard
                            safety hazards).

                            EDIT: three times in the above paragraph you use the word "you". Here
                            is the problem with that;

                            Projection

                            "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in
                            an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you
                            are ready to go down the trail."

                            This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said
                            what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our
                            thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their
                            shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

                            We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So
                            we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

                            "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an
                            out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready
                            to go down the trail."
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 19, 2008
                              Hi Mark,

                              Jes posted his OR on Jan 10th but the yahoo pics up all the other
                              posts with this same title and adds them to the thread. MSR Pocket
                              Rocket has is quite popular and the May message you saw is from
                              another poster.

                              It is weird but the yahoo program can't think beyond this. Thank
                              goodness I can!! Well sometimes. hahaha!!

                              jamie

                              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin - Swan