EDIT: Petzl Tikka Plus - Andrew Buskov

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
      EDIT: Petzl Tikka Plus - Andrew Buskov

      Hi Andrew

      A nice review.
      Some of my own comments (couldn't resist), just FYI, and a few Edits as well. Bio is definitely too long. :-) The two
      very similar pics need considering. My usual brief edits are listed below.

      When you have fixed these could you repost the plain text and html (with URL) please?

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT EDitor
      ---------------------------
      > I started backpacking when I was 8 and quickly became hooked on the
      EDIT: this is 154 words! You need to get it down to our limit of 100. Sorry, but we do all manage (eventually).

      > adapt the light to the activity and at and light duration needs.
      EDIT: too many 'and's ...

      > light duration statistics from the website
      Comment: useful here - although we don't normally include too much from the web site as the reader can get the info from
      there.

      > Autonomie
      Comment: Hum ... OK.

      > Immediately after opening the package, I was impressed.
      Edit: there are two pics after this which look almost the same. It is not clear what they are meant to illustrate? Can
      you improve on this?
      Suggestion: I was hoping that the first one might show this rubber strip and the battery compartment you mention.

      > After inserting the batteries into the cover, I tried out the light and near
      > blinded myself. The light from the 4 LEDs are quite bright, and can easily
      > cause discomfort if looked at directly, even at a low light setting. The
      > battery case does a great job of holding the batteries in place even if the
      > cover isn't securely placed.
      Edit: you have a bit of a sudden switch back and forth here, between talking about putting batteries in and the
      brightness of the light. It disconcerted me. Can you rearrange?

      > I found that only a few times did I need the
      > brightest setting as most of the time my eyes were adjusted to the dark
      > enough that the low light setting worked perfectly.
      Comment: with you here! Even the 'dim' settings are far too bright as well.

      > Another item that struck me as weird was the fact that the instructions
      > state NOT to use Lithium batteries.
      Comment: Yeah, complete negative for Petzl. They rely on the sag in battery voltage while under load for part of the
      regulation, and Lithiums don't sag. But alkalines don't work sub-freezing, while Lithiums do. Petzl need to change their
      design.

      > One of the things that has bothered me with the operation of the Tikka Plus
      > is the sequence of lighting that is designed into its electronics.
      Comment: Several companies all use the same chip for the regulation, and it is a chip design feature/fault. Annoys the
      hell out of me too in the Princeton Tec Quad.

      > I feel that the operating levels should be reversed
      > and post an unnecessary drain on the battery, as well as additional strain
      > on the switch as it is now.
      EDIT: this sentence got mixed up (and I agree with the ideas).

        > > I started backpacking when I was 8 and quickly became hooked on the
        > EDIT: this is 154 words! You need to get it down to our limit of 100.
        > Sorry, but we do all manage (eventually).

        You are right! I don't know how that old bio got in as the new one is under
        100 words. Sorry.

        > > Autonomie
        > Comment: Hum ... OK.
        French, I'll remove.

        > > Immediately after opening the package, I was impressed.
        > Edit: there are two pics after this which look almost the same. It is not
        > clear what they are meant to illustrate? Can
        > you improve on this?
        I can only assume that you are talking about the two pictures that show
        different light direction at tilted and non-tilted angles. The arrow shows
        the direction when the lamp is tilted. I will however explain this in my
        text to make it easier to understand. I'll try to get a picture of the
        rubber band that holds, but pictures that I took didn't come out too well
        because of the extreme closeup I had to take.

        REVISED BELOW
        HTML: http://tinyurl.com/yq9fbz

        AB
        Owner Review - Petzl Tikka Plus
        Andrew Buskov
        January 23, 2007

        Tester Biographical Information
        Name: Andrew Buskov
        Age: 31
        Gender: Male
        Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
        Weight: 218 lbs (99 kg)
        Email: Rescue(at)Corridor9(dot)net
        City, State Zip Madisonville, Kentucky USA
        Backpacking Background:

        I started backpacking and became hooked on the outdoors. I realized that I
        enjoyed the colder weather and solitude of deep backcountry, and have hiked
        various environments from the green mountains of the Appalachians to the
        barren desert of Arizona. My hiking season starts early September and ends
        early June. I’m usually a moderate weight hiker, but as an Emergency Medical
        Technician I’m trained to be prepared, so my pack usually weighs between 30
        to 40 lbs (13 and 18 kg) while solo, to 60 lbs (27 kg) when leading.
        Information about the author can be found at http://www.corridor9.net
        Product Information:
        Item: Petzl Tikka Plus
        Manufacturer: Petzl
        Website http://petzl.com
        Year of Manufacture: 2006
        MSRP: N/A
        Actual Weight: 2.75 oz (78 g)
        Listed Weight: 2.7 oz (77 g)
        Product Description:
        The Petzl Tikka Plus is a light weight headlamp that provides 3 levels of
        lighting in addition to the strobe function. There are 4 leds that provide
        long lasting, white light. The headband provides a pivot point for the user
        to aim the light. In addition, it is water resistant for all weather use.

        (Information from the Website)

        Adjustable proximity lighting with long burn time.

        * 4 LEDs produces a long-lasting and even, white light.
        * 3 lighting levels (maximum, optimum, economic) and strobe mode, to
        adapt the light to the activity and light duration needs.
        * Produces diffuse, proximity lighting.
        * Light beam can be easily aimed where desired.
        * Adjustable and comfortable elastic headband.
        * Water resistant for all-weather use.

        Here are the light duration statistics from the website:
        Light duration
        Distance
        Test 20°C - alkaline batteries
        4 Leds
        Maximum
        100 h t0 = 32 m
        t30mn = 25 m
        t10h = 15 m
        t30h = 5 m
        Optimum
        120 h t0 = 23 m
        t30mn = 20 m
        t10h = 13 m
        t30h = 6 m
        Economic
        150 h t0 = 15 m
        t30mn = 14 m
        t10h = 11 m
        t30h = 9 m
        Description and Performance:
        I initially bought this product to replace a cheaper headlamp which had a
        slider style switch that kept turning on while inside my pack. When I went
        to the store I was looking for something that was fairly inexpensive, yet
        durable enough to take repeatedly being stuffed inside my pack, being bashed
        against rocks when carried in my thigh pocket on my pants, could provide
        many hours of use on a single set of batteries, yet be light enough that my
        head wasn't bobbing back and forth all night when I was wearing it.

        I settled on the Petzl Tikka Plus due to its relatively light weight, its
        three brightness levels, the fact that it offered 150 hours of light on a
        single set of batteries when in low light mode, and the fact that it was
        made by Petzl. Having a good quality name to back up your product doesn't
        usually mean a lot to me, but when shopping for an item like this, with so
        many alternatives out there, the name just helped tip the balance of choice
        a bit more easily to the Tikka Plus.

        Immediately after opening the package, I was impressed. Inside was a very
        well designed, light weight, headlamp that offered a number of additional
        features I wasn't even considering when making my purchasing decisions. This
        headlamp is noticeably lighter than the old one that I was using.

        One of the things that struck me as ingenious was the fact that when the
        battery cover was removed, there was a small rubber strip holding the front
        of the headlamp to the battery plate. This makes it virtually impossible to
        lose the battery cover unless the rubber piece breaks completely. In
        addition, battery replacement is done relatively easily without the need for
        coins or other prying items to remove the battery cover. While it is plenty
        tough to get the battery plate off without meaning to, a firm push against
        the battery retention clip lets the user remove the battery cover without
        additional tools.

        The battery case does a great job of holding the batteries in place even if
        the cover isn't securely placed. After inserting the batteries into the
        cover, I tried out the light and near blinded myself. The light from the 4
        LEDs are quite bright, and can easily cause discomfort if looked at
        directly, even at a low light setting.

        The headband it made of a stretchable material that is very comfortable. It
        has two hot welded plastic pieces at each end and a clip that allows the
        user to easily adjust the length without much effort. The design is such
        that it is easy to adjust, but doesn't slide unnecessarily when left alone.
        The headlamp isn't designed to be removed from the band and doing so can
        damage the plastic clips. I tried to remove this, but after looking at it
        more closely I wasn't willing to damage my headlamp simply to see if I could
        remove it.

        The Tikka is designed to rotate up and down through a number of positions
        making it easy for the wearer to position the light at the best angle to see
        with. You can see in the picture above and below how the light angles change
        with the tilt of the headlamp. I found it very helpful to position the light
        more toward my feet to avoid blinding the people I was talking to while
        cooking my food or other operations that required me to use the headlamp.
        The radiant light from the Tikka Plus is sufficient to light an area, thus
        limiting the need to rotate the headlamp often to illuminate an area
        directly.

        Even on the lowest setting it was very bright and allowed me to see roughly
        15 m (50 ft) down the trail. I found that only a few times did I need the
        brightest setting as most of the time my eyes were adjusted to the dark
        enough that the low light setting worked perfectly. In addition the four
        light settings (economic, optimum, maximum, and strobe) the Tikka Plus also
        offers a push-and-hold feature that will illuminate the LEDs for only as
        long as the user is holding the button. This feature was wonderful for those
        nights when I needed a simple flash of light to see the shelter doors or the
        zipper of a tent without wanting to totally obliterate my night vision.

        I was completely surprised at the cleaning of this headlamp. The
        instructions state that: "After use in a humid environment, remove the
        batteries and dry out. If sea-water gets into the lamp, remove the
        batteries, rinse thoroughly in fresh water and dry." It was surprising to me
        that the instructions would say to rinse the headlamp in water. I would
        assume that this would allow washing of mud or sand off the headlamp without
        problems. In addition, although it isn't specifically stated in the
        instructions, I would also assume that this headlamp is somewhat water
        resistant. Although I'm sure this isn't a very good situation for the
        batteries, during an emergency situation I won't hesitate to use this lamp
        when wet.

        Another item that struck me as weird was the fact that the instructions
        state NOT to use Lithium batteries. Using such batteries can cause the
        headlamp to overheat and possibly damage the LEDs. Someone who doesn't'
        fully read the instruction manual wouldn't find this information. While I'm
        not sure if using Lithium batteries would void the warranty, I feel this is
        something that should be more visible on the packaging since it isn't
        something that would normally be thought of as a damaging action.

        One of the things that has bothered me with the operation of the Tikka Plus
        is the sequence of lighting that is designed into its electronics. I've
        found that my usual brightness level is the lowest setting. As it stands now
        though, I must click through the maximum and optimal setting to reach this
        lowest brightness level. I feel that the operating levels post an
        unnecessary drain on the battery, as well as additional strain on the
        switch, and should be reversed. The light should start off at the lowest
        level, then progress to the highest light level before reaching the strobe
        function. Not only would this save battery life, but it would also limit the
        decline in night vision adjustment.

        Field Locations:
        I have used this headlamp in a number of conditions ranging from semi-warm,
        dry 70 F (21 C) weather, to cold wet 20 F (-7 C) weather. All the while the
        light from this headlamp stayed steady and true. At no point in time have I
        noticed any sort of dropping in light intensity while wearing this. I'm sure
        that it happens over time due to battery drainage, but my point is that it
        is nearly imperceptible and at no time did it hinder my operations or views
        while hiking the trail at night.

        Petzl Tikka Plus provides. The band was comfortable on my head and didn't
        scratch, nor was the weight heavy in my opinion. I would recommend this
        light to any who are searching out a light weight headlamp for their
        backpacking adventures.