re EDIT: BLACK DIAMOND MEGA LIGHT TENT - Jim Warberg

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      re EDIT: BLACK DIAMOND MEGA LIGHT TENT - Jim Warberg

      Hi Jim2

      > I'll take care of the conversion accuracy. I am an engineer; I understand
      > this one...
      Right.

      > > You have a statement that the silnylon was saturated. This puzzles me
      > > greatly.
      > Roger maybe you can help me on this one. After getting back to town to a
      > hotel and having escaped the snowstorm, I know that I squeezed the
      > material out just like wringing out a washcloth and a BUNCH of water came
      > out. The material felt cold and wet when I stuffed it back in the stuff
      > sack. Temp was about 34 F with a lot of wet snow when I stuffed it back
      > in the sack. Any ideas on what I experienced? I am not sure now...
      Aha! Now what follows is my GUESS; it's up to you to decide whether it bears any resemblance to reality.

      > When packing
      > up the tent during the break in the snow storm, I could not squeeze
      > out much excess water from the saturated wall material and ended up
      > carrying a couple extra pounds of water that was still in the tent
      > material. I had to dry it out once I was back to civilization.
      I think you may have had a lot of hoar frost on the inside of the silnylon, and may not have realised it. When you
      packed the tent up the hoar frost came with the silnylon. Of course you couldn't squeeze out any excess water then: it
      was ice. But it subsequently melted and then you could wring it out in the hotel. Yes, I have had that myself on many
      occasions. Makes for a heavy pack! We have even resorted to spreading out the tent at lunch-time to drip dry.

      The point here is that you do know the rolled-up tent had water inside - OK. But you don't KNOW that the fabric was
      saturated, and in fact we know silnylon does not absorb water like that. So while it is important to report the facts,
      we have to be careful about the explanation.

      Hope this helps
      Cheers
      Roger