EDIT: OWNER REVIEW: Seal Line Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Sorry, Eric. Overlooked this. A few minor issues, but this looks good.
      Please place an HTML version in the test folder with the corrections
      noted. I'll give it a further inspection, you can make any needed
      adjustments, and be ready to upload.

      Ted

      > Eric
      >
      > SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L
      > By Eric Frey
      > OR
      > January 13, 2007

      ### EDIT:

      Owner Review SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L

      January 13, 2007

      is pretty much the standard form

      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Eric Frey
      > EMAIL: eric.frey@...
      > AGE: 32
      > LOCATION: Dallas, Oregon
      > GENDER: m
      > HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      > WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)
      >
      > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack and go for weekend
      excursions to the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. I have spent
      much of my life in the outdoors, Boy Scouts, Explorers, National Guard
      Soldier. Currently I do most of my backpacking with my son's Boy Scout
      Troop. I have explored the Sinai peninsula, hiked in Germany, Spent a
      winter in Umatilla, Oregon where the low was -26 F (-32.21 C), Climbed
      Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone National Park, and mostly explore the
      wilds of Oregon with my family. I am a Mid-weight

      ### EDIT: mid-weight

      Backpacker who prefers comfort to lightweight.

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Kodiak
      Window Line of Bags">>
      > Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
      > Year of Manufacture: 2005
      > Manufacturer's Website: www.cascadedesigns.com
      > MSRP: 30L US$ 34.95, 15L US$ 24.95
      > Listed weight: 30L 9 oz (255 g), 15L 7 oz (198 g)
      > Measured weight: same weight plus card board packaging

      ### EDIT: It's assumed that the measured weight is without packaging
      so you can omit the last four words

      > Other details: 30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in
      (28 x 64 cm); 15L Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x
      50 cm)

      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "30L Blue">>
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "15L Yellow">>
      >
      > Manufacturer's description:
      > > Translucent TPU window
      > > New one-way purge valve
      > > Improved roll-down closure
      > > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets
      you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new
      hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility
      and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an
      improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty
      round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands
      upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of
      tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every
      dry storage need.

      > > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick
      submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

      > MY DESCRIPTION AND THEORY OF USE
      >
      > My description: The bags are pretty much as advertised; the TPU
      window is semi-transparent so that you can identify colors and some
      specific items of clothing through it. The Nylon

      ### EDIT: nylon

      appears to be coated with a silicon coating that improves its water
      tightness but items of clothing do kind of stick to it. The seams
      appear to be heat sealed and durable. The base is a black heavy-duty
      nylon that is abrasion resistant which make placing on the ground to
      pack it a little more worry free.

      > How it works: the bags are simple; you put the top of the bag
      together (like a folded pant leg) and roll it down until you get
      resistance. If you want it to be floatable, you can buckle it at this
      point, or if you want compression, you push down and force air out of
      the purge valve until you reach the desired compression level. The
      roll doubles as a handle and next to the buckle is a D-Ring for
      attaching to gear or securing to a rope.

      ### EDIT: There's much use of "you" here. To avoid projecting your
      experience on that of a prospective user, we ask that you keep this in
      the first person. Would you please revise accordingly, both in this
      section and elsewhere?

      > MY MOTIVATION TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM
      >
      > My reasons for buying these bags: My oldest son is in the Boy Scouts
      and since we live in the Pacific Northwest, we tend to find ourselves
      camping in the rain. After my Ziploc freezer bags failed me on a
      camping trip to the Columbia River Gorge during a deluge, I decided to
      get something a bit more durable and dependable. For novices, cold wet
      clothing, first thing in the morning does not make for a happy hamper.
      Also I like to compartmentalize my equipment so that if something
      leaks everything doesn't get ruined, white gas and dish soap aren't
      something I like wearing.

      > FIELD USE
      >
      > Locations where tested: I have used these bags on every trip I have
      been on for the last year and a half but I will focus on four main
      trips. Snow camping at Santiam Snow Park in the Cascades, beach
      camping at Fort Stevens State Park, 10 day trip to Yellowstone
      National Park in Wyoming and 2 week annual training (AT) in Redmond,
      Oregon

      > Description of locations:
      > Santiam Snow Park Approx 7000' (2134 m), mountainous, snowy, lowest
      temp during trip -2 F (-19 C);
      > Fort Stevens at sea level, avg temp 50 F (10 C), rainy-downpours and
      drizzle, sandy;
      > Yellowstone, Canyon Campground, approx 9000' (2743 m), wooded high
      country, some rain, bear country
      > Redmond, Oregon high desert 6000' (1829m), low brush, dusty
      occasional downpours, one major down pour

      ### EDIT: downpour

      (3" (7.6 cm) rain and hail in under 2 hours).

      > Description of trip and performance:
      > Santiam Snow Park: This was a snowshoe trip up into the backcountry
      of the Cascades; we traveled to a remote area where the Boy Scouts
      would not be in the way of snowboarders, skiers and folks enjoying the
      snow. After several grueling hours of climbing hills and encouraging
      some very cold boys, we set up our camp. I used the bags to store my
      kitchen gear in one 30L bag, my clothing in another and my night gear
      and some of my essentials in a 15L bright yellow bag. I was worried
      that continued exposure to the freezing temperatures might cause the
      bags to become brittle or cause some structural integrity issues with
      the seams. Throughout the trip, the bags remained pliable and
      structurally sound. The quick release buckles were easy to use with my
      thick gloves on and they only occasionally pinched the gloves into the
      buckle. I was able to get into and out of my equipment without having
      to take off my gloves. The large handle made by the roll also made it
      easy to access my equipment without exposing skin. The Bright

      ### EDIT: bright

      yellow of the 15L bag made for good visibility in the dark after my
      headlamp went out and I was able to quickly and easily locate the bag
      and get out my candle lantern for light.

      > Fort Stevens State Park: this was a hike into a little used area of
      the state park reserved for youth groups. The area was a bit muddy and
      being very close to the beach was very sandy. As it normally does on
      the Oregon Coast, it rained on us and then we had some spectacular sun
      breaks. I was very glad to have these bags with me on this trip since
      many of the boys had wrapped their equipment up in garbage bags and
      Ziploc bags. The garbage bags were shredded before the end of the trip
      and could not repel any water from the gear. With the sand, most of
      the Ziplocs failed to seal properly and several boys ended up with wet
      clothing. Even with sand on the lining of my bags, they were able to
      seal easily and I was able to segregate my wet sandy clothes from the
      dry comfortable clothing (which stayed dry the entire trip). After the
      trip, the bags had some sand in them for several more trips but
      eventually it all came out. After I had a bit of success with these
      bags, I also purchased some for the rest of my family to use during
      our trip to Yellowstone.

      > Yellowstone National Park: this was a 10-day family camping trip
      with my wife, our two sons, and myself, where we base camped in Canyon
      Campground and went for excursions from there. Our three main concerns
      were bears, rain, and organization. With the bags having a D-ring if
      we had needed to we could have used them as a bear bag and hoisted it
      between two trees, and for cost this was much cheaper than buying bear
      proof containers. Fortunately, we were able to locate some of the
      large steel bear proof containers to store our food in so we were not
      able to test these out. As far as rain went, we had one really good
      summer rainstorm come through and drenched everything that was not in
      a sealed container. The tent leaked and the sleeping bags were wet,
      but the items inside of the SealLine bags were dry. As for the
      organization inside the tent, these worked perfectly, having the
      window in them my wife and I could quickly identify whose bag was
      whose and our sons had their bags color coded, yellow and blue. In
      addition to the normal uses these bags worked well for shower bags,
      and laundry bags during our trip.

      > Finally was the non-standard use trip to Redmond, Oregon where our
      unit performed AT.

      ### EDIT: Better spell out what AT is!

      When we move our equipment, no one is gentle with it, bags are thrown
      into trucks, tossed on the ground and generally drug all over the
      place. This is sagebrush, juniper, and tumbleweed area with lots of
      dust, especially with armored personnel carriers moving around the
      area. With the rough handling and general abuse these bags received I
      was certain I was going to puncture them but the seams stayed sealed,
      the last millimeter of fabric did start to fray a bit, however with
      about a centimeter of sealing this does not affect the integrity of
      the product. I had one bag with my cook set and camp stove in it (I
      need my coffee) and I was very glad to see that even with a little bit
      of white gas leaking in the bag nothing escaped. The other issue I was
      worried about was the purge valve and the fine dust that covers
      everything out there. The small filter over the purge valve worked
      very well to keep the bag from sucking up any dust or dust building up
      in the valve and making it unsealable.

      > THINGS I LIKE
      >
      > easy to grab handles
      > compressible for storage
      > durable seams
      > not designed for backpacking but very functional
      >
      > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
      >

      > The only suggested manufacturer's improvement would be to add a
      filter screen to the inside of the bag; we found that when windproof
      items, or tightly woven fabrics are right next to the purge valve it
      prevents the air from escaping.
      > The waterproofing is sticky so stuffing a sleeping bag can get
      difficult.

      > SUMMARY
      >
      > This bag went from one person using it to everyone in the family
      having at least one bag and being used on every trip we go on. The
      ease of use and the multiple applications make this a very versatile
      bag that I would recommend for all campers and backpackers (except the
      ultra light backpackers). This is a bag where weight is worth the
      benefit. Two bags weigh about a pound. I would rather carry a pound of
      dry though than 5 pounds of wet. I plan to take these bags with me for
      our rafting trip this summer and would recommend them for most water
      applications except where they would be submerged for long periods.

      > SIGNATURE
      >
      > Eric J. Frey
      > Staff Sergeant
      > Oregon Army National Guard
      >
      > Boy Scout Troop 288
      > Committee Member
      > www.t288.org

      > Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

      Window Purge 30L and 15L

      > > Hello Eric,
      > >
      > > Before getting into fully editing this, I have three requests.
      > >
      > > 1. Please review your bio. This should be 100 words, give or take
      > > five. We really only need a brief outline to indicate your experience
      > > level and backpacking style (i.e. where you fall on the continuum of
      > > ultralight to ultraheavy in packweight).
      > >
      > > 2. Your text has a great deal of unnecessary initial capitalization.
      > > This makes it quite difficult to read. For example,
      > >
      > > "Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains"
      > >
      > > is fine (these are proper nouns, as names of locations), but
      > >
      > > "The Garbage Bags were shredded..."
      > >
      > > should read
      > >
      > > "The garbage bags were shredded..."
      > >

      > > 3. When you repost (put REPOST where EDIT is now), please make sure
      > > that you are posting plaintext. You'll note a lot of odd nonce
      > > characters in Yahoo where, for example, quotation marks were. One way
      > > to avoid this is to save the document as "Text only" in Word or in
      > > Notepad (better still).
      > >
      > > Thanks very much!
      > >
      > > Ted
      > >
      > > BGT OR Editor

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2007
        Hello Eric,

        I also use dry bags (lighter, though less full-featured, than yours)
        for backpacking, as well as in my kayak. I find it a terrific way to
        keep everything semi-organized. I do like the windows on yours.

        A few more small edits, and you will be ready for upload. I will
        provide a folder for you at the end of this message.

        ### EDIT: the title should be

        SealLine Kodiak Window Dry Bags

        i.e. Don't specify the sizes in the title, but do specify what they are!

        > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack

        ### EDIT: backpack

        >I am a mid-weight Backpacker

        ### EDIT: I am a mid-weight backpacker

        www.cascadedesigns.com

        This needs to be made clickable

        30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in (28 x 64 cm); 15L
        Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x 50 cm)

        ### EDIT: Keep a space between the number and the unit. 30 L is good;
        30L is not. Please add the space where needed.

        Manufacturer's description:
        > Translucent TPU window
        > New one-way purge valve
        > Improved roll-down closure
        > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets
        you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new
        hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility
        and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an
        improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty
        round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands
        upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of
        tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every
        dry storage need.

        > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick
        submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

        ### EDIT: I strongly suggest centering the pair of images, and putting
        the text underneath. Having the "bulleted" text to the right doesn't
        look good--it's scrunched. Please remove the space before the last
        paragraph (> Waterproof Level 2...)

        The only suggested manufacturer's improvement...

        ### EDIT: the only suggested improvement...

        Boy Scout Troop 288
        Committee Member
        www.t288.org

        ### EDIT: We only allow manufacturer or personal links (to top-level
        URLs). Indeed, overall I don't think this information (all three
        lines) really adds anything, as we know from your text that you are
        involved in Scouting. Please delete.

        Finally, if the photos are yours, no problem, but if they are (as I
        suspect) SealLine's you should state "Photos courtesy of SealLine" or
        words to that effect under the images.

        Please fix as indicated, and upload to the following folder

        http://tinyurl.com/24ul5a

        Please use the test folder first to make sure everything is as it
        should be. Be sure to mark the "Owner Review" radio button upon
        upload. Thank you.

        Ted

        -- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>

      • eric.frey@us.army.mil
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
          Done-had to teach myself some HTML to center the wording but it is uploaded.