OWNER REVIEW: Seal Line Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L

  • eric.frey@us.army.mil
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2007
      Seal Line Kodiak Window 30 Purge, 15 Purge.
      Name: Eric Frey
      Age: 32
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5� 6� (1.68 m)
      Weight: 160 lbs. (73 Kg)
      E-mail Address: eric.frey@...
      City: Dallas
      State: Oregon
      Country: USA
      Date: 13 January 2006

      Backpacking Background:
      I grew up in the outdoors with a family that loved to Backpack and go for weekend excursions to the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. I grew up in Boy Scouting and Search and Rescue Explorers where most of my gear came from a Surplus Store (aka heavy, bulky and generally canvas). This naturally progressed into serving in the Oregon National Guard as an Infantryman and 15 years later, I am now a Supply Sergeant for a Combat Engineer Company. Currently I backpack with my son�s Boy Scout Troop as well as Car Camping and still do Field Exercises with my Unit. Living in a Rural almost Suburban Community I make recommendations to our Scouts and my soldiers on equipment that is cost effective and reliable. I believe that the most expensive is not always the best, but also just because you can get it at Wal-Mart does not mean it will stand the rigors of Teenage Boys or the unpredictable Northwest Weather. I have Hiked/Camped/Backpacked/Survived in some extreme locations. I have H
      iked Mt. Sinai, done Survival Training in the Southern Sinai Peninsula, Hiked in the Bavarian Alps, Worked in -26 F (-32.21 C) in Umatilla, and spent a 10 Day Camping Trip in Yellowstone NP and logged many nights in the Cascade Mountains, High Desert of Central Oregon and many water logged nights on the Oregon Coast. I am a Mid-weight Backpacker scaled down from a Heavy-Weight-Kitchen-Sink Backpacker.
      Product information
      Manufacturer Cascade Designs
      Manufactured 2005
      www.cascadedesigns.com
      Manufacturer Descriptions:

      30L
      Weight: 9 oz. /255 g
      Volume: 2000 cu. in. /33 liters
      Size: 11 x 25 in. /28 x 64 cm
      Color: yellow or blue
      MSRP: $ 34.95

      15L
      Weight: 7 oz. /198 g
      Volume: 1220 cu. in. /20 liters
      Size: 9 x 20 in. /23 x 50 cm
      Color: yellow or blue
      MSRP: $ 24.95

      Weight as delivered same as manufacturer weight plus Cardboard Cover.
      Manufacturer�s Product description.
      � Translucent TPU window
      � New one-way purge valve
      � Improved roll-down closure
      � Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new hands-free, one-way purge valve* that offers increased compressibility and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every dry storage need.

      Features: Waterproof Level 2: Considered Watertight withstands quick submersions and will float if dropped in the water.
      My Description: The Bag is pretty much as advertised; the TPU window is semi-transparent so that you can identify colors and some specific items of clothing through it. The Nylon appears to be coated with a silicon coating that improves its water tightness but items of clothing do kind of stick to it. The seams appear to be heat sealed and durable. The base is a black heavy-duty nylon that is abrasion resistant which make placing on the ground to pack it a little more worry free.
      How it works: the Bags are simple; you put the top of the bag together (like a folded pant leg) and roll it down until you get resistance. If you want it to be floatable, you can buckle it at this point, or if you want compression, you push down and force air out of the purge valve until you reach the desired compression level. The roll doubles as a handle and next to the buckle is a D-Ring for attaching to gear or securing to a rope.

      Field information
      My reasons for buying these bags. My oldest son is in the Boy Scouts and since we live in the Pacific Northwest, we tend to find ourselves camping in the rain. After my Ziploc Freezer Bags failed me on a Camping Trip to the Columbia River Gorge during a deluge, I decided to get something a bit more durable and dependable. For Novices, Cold Wet Clothing first thing in the morning does not make for a Happy Camper. Also I like to compartmentalize my equipment so that if something leaks everything doesn�t get ruined, White Gas and Dish Soap aren�t something I like wearing.
      a. Locations where tested: I have used these bags on every trip I have been on for the last year and a half but I will focus on four main trips. Snow Camping at Santiam Snow Park in the Cascades, Beach Camping at Fort Stevens SP, 10 day trip to Yellowstone NP and 2 week Annual Training in Redmond, OR
      b. Description of locations: Santiam Snow Park Approx 7000� (2134 m), Mountainous, Snowy, Lowest temp during trip -2 F (-19 C); Fort Stevens at Sea level, Avg Temp 50 F (10 C), Rainy-Downpours and Drizzle, sandy; Yellowstone NP, Canyon Campground, Approx 9000� (2743 m), wooded high country, some rain, Bear Country: Redmond, OR High Desert 6000� (1829m), High Desert, Low Brush, Dusty occasional Downpours, one major down pour (3� (7.6 cm) rain and hail in under 2 hours).
      d. Description of trip and performance:
      Santiam Snow Park: This was a Snowshoe trip up into the backcountry of the Cascades; we traveled to a remote area where the Boy Scouts would not be in the way of Snowboarders, Skiers and folks enjoying the Snow. After several grueling hours of climbing hills and encouraging some very cold boys, we set up our camp. I used the bags to store my kitchen gear in one 30L bag, my clothing in another and my nigh gear and some of my essentials in a 15L bright yellow bag. I was worried that continued exposure to the freezing temperatures might cause the bags to become brittle or cause some structural integrity issues with the seams. Throughout the trip, the bags remained pliable and structurally sound. The Quick Release buckles were easy to use with my thick gloves on and they only occasionally pinched the gloves into the buckle. I was able to get into and out of my equipment without having to take off my gloves. The large handle made by the roll also made it easy to access my equipme
      nt without exposing skin. The Bright yellow of the 15L bag made for good visibility in the dark after my headlamp went out and I was able to quickly and easily locate the bag and get out my candle lantern for light.
      Fort Stevens State Park: this was a hike into a little used area of the State Park reserved for Youth Groups. The area was a bit muddy being very close to the beach was very sandy. As it normally does on the Oregon Coast, it rained on us and then we had some spectacular sun breaks. I was very glad to have these bags with me on this trip since many of the boys had wrapped their equipment up in Garbage Bags and Ziploc bags. The Garbage Bags were shredded before the end of the Trip and could not repel any water from the gear. With the Sand, most of the Ziplocs failed to seal properly and several boys ended up with wet clothing. Even with Sand on the lining of my bags, they were able to seal easily and I was able to segregate my wet sandy clothes from the Dry comfortable clothing (Which Stayed Dry the entire trip). After the Trip, the Bags had some sand in them for several more trips but eventually it all came out. After I had a bit of success with these bags, I also purchased s
      ome for the rest of my family to use during our trip to Yellowstone.
      Yellowstone National Park: this was a 10-Day Family Camping Trip with my wife, our two sons, and I, where we base camped in Canyon Campground and went for excursions from there. Our three main concerns were Bears, Rain, and Organization. With the Bags having a D-ring if we had needed to we could have used them as a Bear Bag and Hoisted it between two trees, and for cost this was much cheaper than buying Bear proof containers. Fortunately, we were able to locate some of the Large Steel Bear proof containers to store our food in so we were not able to test these out. As far as rain went, we had one really good summer rainstorm come through and drenched everything that was not in a sealed container. The Tent leaked and the sleeping bags were wet, but the items inside of the Seal Line bags were dry. As for the organization inside the tent, these worked perfectly, having the Window in them my wife and I could quickly identify whose bag was whose and our sons had their bags color
      coded, yellow and blue. I addition to the normal uses these bags worked well for shower bags, and laundry bags during our trip.
      Finally was the non-standard use trip to Redmond, Oregon where our unit performed Annual Training. When we move our equipment no one is gentle with it, bags are thrown into trucks tossed on the ground and generally drug all over the place. This is Sagebrush, juniper, and tumbleweed area with lots of dust, especially with armored personnel carriers moving around the area. With the rough handling and general abuse these bags received I was certain I was going to puncture them but the seams stayed sealed, the last millimeter of fabric did start to fray a bit, however with about a centimeter of sealing this does not affect the integrity of the product. I had one bag with my cook set and camp stove in it (I need my coffee) and I was very glad to see that even with a little bit of white gas leaking in the bag nothing escaped. The other issue I was worried about was the purge valve and the fine dust that covers everything out there. The small filter over the purge valve worked very
      well to keep the bag from sucking up any dust or dust building up in the valve and making it unsealable.

      Summary: This bag went from one person using it to everyone in the family having at least one bag and being used on every trip we go on. The ease of use and the multiple applications make this a very versatile bag that I would recommend for all campers and backepackers (except the ultra light backpackers). This is a bag where weight is worth the benefit. Two bags to weigh about a pound. I would rather carry a pound of dry though than 5 pounds of wet. I plan to take these bags with me for our rafting trip this summer and would recommend them for most water applications except where they would be submerged for long periods. The only suggested manufacturer�s improvement would be to add a filter screen to the inside of the bag also; we found that when nylon wind pants are right next to the purge valve it prevents the air from escaping.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2007
          Hello Eric,

          Before getting into fully editing this, I have three requests.

          1. Please review your bio. This should be 100 words, give or take
          five. We really only need a brief outline to indicate your experience
          level and backpacking style (i.e. where you fall on the continuum of
          ultralight to ultraheavy in packweight).

          2. Your text has a great deal of unnecessary initial capitalization.
          This makes it quite difficult to read. For example,

          "Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains"

          is fine (these are proper nouns, as names of locations), but

          "The Garbage Bags were shredded..."

          should read

          "The garbage bags were shredded..."

          3. When you repost (put REPOST where EDIT is now), please make sure
          that you are posting plaintext. You'll note a lot of odd nonce
          characters in Yahoo where, for example, quotation marks were. One way
          to avoid this is to save the document as "Text only" in Word or in
          Notepad (better still).

          Thanks very much!

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2007
            Ted: here is my repost with some revisions that I made using the BGT Report Generator.

            Eric

            SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L
            By Eric Frey
            OR
            January 13, 2007

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Eric Frey
            EMAIL: eric.frey@...
            AGE: 32
            LOCATION: Dallas, Oregon
            GENDER: m
            HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
            WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

            I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack and go for weekend excursions to the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. I have spent much of my life in the outdoors, Boy Scouts, Explorers, National Guard Soldier. Currently I do most of my backpacking with my son's Boy Scout Troop. I have explored the Sinai peninsula, hiked in Germany, Spent a winter in Umatilla, Oregon where the low was -26 F (-32.21 C), Climbed Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone National Park, and mostly explore the wilds of Oregon with my family. I am a Mid-weight Backpacker who prefers comfort to lightweight.

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Kodiak Window Line of Bags">>
            Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
            Year of Manufacture: 2005
            Manufacturer's Website: www.cascadedesigns.com
            MSRP: 30L US$ 34.95, 15L US$ 24.95
            Listed weight: 30L 9 oz (255 g), 15L 7 oz (198 g)
            Measured weight: same weight plus card board packaging
            Other details: 30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in (28 x 64 cm); 15L Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x 50 cm)

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "30L Blue">>

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "15L Yellow">>

            Manufacturer's description:
            > Translucent TPU window
            > New one-way purge valve
            > Improved roll-down closure
            > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every dry storage need.

            > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

            MY DESCRIPTION AND THEORY OF USE

            My description: The bags are pretty much as advertised; the TPU window is semi-transparent so that you can identify colors and some specific items of clothing through it. The Nylon appears to be coated with a silicon coating that improves its water tightness but items of clothing do kind of stick to it. The seams appear to be heat sealed and durable. The base is a black heavy-duty nylon that is abrasion resistant which make placing on the ground to pack it a little more worry free.

            How it works: the bags are simple; you put the top of the bag together (like a folded pant leg) and roll it down until you get resistance. If you want it to be floatable, you can buckle it at this point, or if you want compression, you push down and force air out of the purge valve until you reach the desired compression level. The roll doubles as a handle and next to the buckle is a D-Ring for attaching to gear or securing to a rope.

            MY MOTIVATION TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM

            My reasons for buying these bags: My oldest son is in the Boy Scouts and since we live in the Pacific Northwest, we tend to find ourselves camping in the rain. After my Ziploc freezer bags failed me on a camping trip to the Columbia River Gorge during a deluge, I decided to get something a bit more durable and dependable. For novices, cold wet clothing, first thing in the morning does not make for a happy hamper. Also I like to compartmentalize my equipment so that if something leaks everything doesn't get ruined, white gas and dish soap aren't something I like wearing.

            FIELD USE

            Locations where tested: I have used these bags on every trip I have been on for the last year and a half but I will focus on four main trips. Snow camping at Santiam Snow Park in the Cascades, beach camping at Fort Stevens State Park, 10 day trip to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and 2 week annual training (AT) in Redmond, Oregon

            Description of locations:
            Santiam Snow Park Approx 7000' (2134 m), mountainous, snowy, lowest temp during trip -2 F (-19 C);
            Fort Stevens at sea level, avg temp 50 F (10 C), rainy-downpours and drizzle, sandy;
            Yellowstone, Canyon Campground, approx 9000' (2743 m), wooded high country, some rain, bear country
            Redmond, Oregon high desert 6000' (1829m), low brush, dusty occasional downpours, one major down pour (3" (7.6 cm) rain and hail in under 2 hours).

            Description of trip and performance:
            Santiam Snow Park: This was a snowshoe trip up into the backcountry of the Cascades; we traveled to a remote area where the Boy Scouts would not be in the way of snowboarders, skiers and folks enjoying the snow. After several grueling hours of climbing hills and encouraging some very cold boys, we set up our camp. I used the bags to store my kitchen gear in one 30L bag, my clothing in another and my night gear and some of my essentials in a 15L bright yellow bag. I was worried that continued exposure to the freezing temperatures might cause the bags to become brittle or cause some structural integrity issues with the seams. Throughout the trip, the bags remained pliable and structurally sound. The quick release buckles were easy to use with my thick gloves on and they only occasionally pinched the gloves into the buckle. I was able to get into and out of my equipment without having to take off my gloves. The large handle made by the roll also made it easy to access my equipment without exposing skin. The Bright yellow of the 15L bag made for good visibility in the dark after my headlamp went out and I was able to quickly and easily locate the bag and get out my candle lantern for light.

            Fort Stevens State Park: this was a hike into a little used area of the state park reserved for youth groups. The area was a bit muddy and being very close to the beach was very sandy. As it normally does on the Oregon Coast, it rained on us and then we had some spectacular sun breaks. I was very glad to have these bags with me on this trip since many of the boys had wrapped their equipment up in garbage bags and Ziploc bags. The garbage bags were shredded before the end of the trip and could not repel any water from the gear. With the sand, most of the Ziplocs failed to seal properly and several boys ended up with wet clothing. Even with sand on the lining of my bags, they were able to seal easily and I was able to segregate my wet sandy clothes from the dry comfortable clothing (which stayed dry the entire trip). After the trip, the bags had some sand in them for several more trips but eventually it all came out. After I had a bit of success with these bags, I also purchased some for the rest of my family to use during our trip to Yellowstone.

            Yellowstone National Park: this was a 10-day family camping trip with my wife, our two sons, and myself, where we base camped in Canyon Campground and went for excursions from there. Our three main concerns were bears, rain, and organization. With the bags having a D-ring if we had needed to we could have used them as a bear bag and hoisted it between two trees, and for cost this was much cheaper than buying bear proof containers. Fortunately, we were able to locate some of the large steel bear proof containers to store our food in so we were not able to test these out. As far as rain went, we had one really good summer rainstorm come through and drenched everything that was not in a sealed container. The tent leaked and the sleeping bags were wet, but the items inside of the SealLine bags were dry. As for the organization inside the tent, these worked perfectly, having the window in them my wife and I could quickly identify whose bag was whose and our sons had their bags color coded, yellow and blue. In addition to the normal uses these bags worked well for shower bags, and laundry bags during our trip.

            Finally was the non-standard use trip to Redmond, Oregon where our unit performed AT. When we move our equipment, no one is gentle with it, bags are thrown into trucks, tossed on the ground and generally drug all over the place. This is sagebrush, juniper, and tumbleweed area with lots of dust, especially with armored personnel carriers moving around the area. With the rough handling and general abuse these bags received I was certain I was going to puncture them but the seams stayed sealed, the last millimeter of fabric did start to fray a bit, however with about a centimeter of sealing this does not affect the integrity of the product. I had one bag with my cook set and camp stove in it (I need my coffee) and I was very glad to see that even with a little bit of white gas leaking in the bag nothing escaped. The other issue I was worried about was the purge valve and the fine dust that covers everything out there. The small filter over the purge valve worked very well to keep the bag from sucking up any dust or dust building up in the valve and making it unsealable.

            THINGS I LIKE

            easy to grab handles
            compressible for storage
            durable seams
            not designed for backpacking but very functional

            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            The only suggested manufacturer's improvement would be to add a filter screen to the inside of the bag; we found that when windproof items, or tightly woven fabrics are right next to the purge valve it prevents the air from escaping.
            The waterproofing is sticky so stuffing a sleeping bag can get difficult.

            SUMMARY

            This bag went from one person using it to everyone in the family having at least one bag and being used on every trip we go on. The ease of use and the multiple applications make this a very versatile bag that I would recommend for all campers and backpackers (except the ultra light backpackers). This is a bag where weight is worth the benefit. Two bags weigh about a pound. I would rather carry a pound of dry though than 5 pounds of wet. I plan to take these bags with me for our rafting trip this summer and would recommend them for most water applications except where they would be submerged for long periods.

            SIGNATURE

            Eric J. Frey
            Staff Sergeant
            Oregon Army National Guard

            Boy Scout Troop 288
            Committee Member
            www.t288.org

            Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

            > Before getting into fully editing this, I have three requests.
            >
            > 1. Please review your bio. This should be 100 words, give or take
            > five. We really only need a brief outline to indicate your experience
            > level and backpacking style (i.e. where you fall on the continuum of
            > ultralight to ultraheavy in packweight).
            >
            > 2. Your text has a great deal of unnecessary initial capitalization.
            > This makes it quite difficult to read. For example,
            >
            > "Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains"
            >
            > is fine (these are proper nouns, as names of locations), but
            >
            > "The Garbage Bags were shredded..."
            >
            > should read
            >
            > "The garbage bags were shredded..."
            >

            > 3. When you repost (put REPOST where EDIT is now), please make sure
            > that you are posting plaintext. You'll note a lot of odd nonce
            > characters in Yahoo where, for example, quotation marks were. One way
            > to avoid this is to save the document as "Text only" in Word or in
            > Notepad (better still).
            >
            > Thanks very much!
            >
            > Ted
            >
            > BGT OR Editor
          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              Sorry, Eric. Overlooked this. A few minor issues, but this looks good.
              Please place an HTML version in the test folder with the corrections
              noted. I'll give it a further inspection, you can make any needed
              adjustments, and be ready to upload.

              Ted

              > Eric
              >
              > SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L
              > By Eric Frey
              > OR
              > January 13, 2007

              ### EDIT:

              Owner Review SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L

              January 13, 2007

              is pretty much the standard form

              > TESTER INFORMATION
              >
              > NAME: Eric Frey
              > EMAIL: eric.frey@...
              > AGE: 32
              > LOCATION: Dallas, Oregon
              > GENDER: m
              > HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
              > WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)
              >
              > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack and go for weekend
              excursions to the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. I have spent
              much of my life in the outdoors, Boy Scouts, Explorers, National Guard
              Soldier. Currently I do most of my backpacking with my son's Boy Scout
              Troop. I have explored the Sinai peninsula, hiked in Germany, Spent a
              winter in Umatilla, Oregon where the low was -26 F (-32.21 C), Climbed
              Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone National Park, and mostly explore the
              wilds of Oregon with my family. I am a Mid-weight

              ### EDIT: mid-weight

              Backpacker who prefers comfort to lightweight.

              > PRODUCT INFORMATION
              >
              > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Kodiak
              Window Line of Bags">>
              > Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
              > Year of Manufacture: 2005
              > Manufacturer's Website: www.cascadedesigns.com
              > MSRP: 30L US$ 34.95, 15L US$ 24.95
              > Listed weight: 30L 9 oz (255 g), 15L 7 oz (198 g)
              > Measured weight: same weight plus card board packaging

              ### EDIT: It's assumed that the measured weight is without packaging
              so you can omit the last four words

              > Other details: 30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in
              (28 x 64 cm); 15L Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x
              50 cm)

              > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "30L Blue">>
              >
              > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "15L Yellow">>
              >
              > Manufacturer's description:
              > > Translucent TPU window
              > > New one-way purge valve
              > > Improved roll-down closure
              > > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets
              you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new
              hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility
              and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an
              improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty
              round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands
              upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of
              tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every
              dry storage need.

              > > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick
              submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

              > MY DESCRIPTION AND THEORY OF USE
              >
              > My description: The bags are pretty much as advertised; the TPU
              window is semi-transparent so that you can identify colors and some
              specific items of clothing through it. The Nylon

              ### EDIT: nylon

              appears to be coated with a silicon coating that improves its water
              tightness but items of clothing do kind of stick to it. The seams
              appear to be heat sealed and durable. The base is a black heavy-duty
              nylon that is abrasion resistant which make placing on the ground to
              pack it a little more worry free.

              > How it works: the bags are simple; you put the top of the bag
              together (like a folded pant leg) and roll it down until you get
              resistance. If you want it to be floatable, you can buckle it at this
              point, or if you want compression, you push down and force air out of
              the purge valve until you reach the desired compression level. The
              roll doubles as a handle and next to the buckle is a D-Ring for
              attaching to gear or securing to a rope.

              ### EDIT: There's much use of "you" here. To avoid projecting your
              experience on that of a prospective user, we ask that you keep this in
              the first person. Would you please revise accordingly, both in this
              section and elsewhere?

              > MY MOTIVATION TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM
              >
              > My reasons for buying these bags: My oldest son is in the Boy Scouts
              and since we live in the Pacific Northwest, we tend to find ourselves
              camping in the rain. After my Ziploc freezer bags failed me on a
              camping trip to the Columbia River Gorge during a deluge, I decided to
              get something a bit more durable and dependable. For novices, cold wet
              clothing, first thing in the morning does not make for a happy hamper.
              Also I like to compartmentalize my equipment so that if something
              leaks everything doesn't get ruined, white gas and dish soap aren't
              something I like wearing.

              > FIELD USE
              >
              > Locations where tested: I have used these bags on every trip I have
              been on for the last year and a half but I will focus on four main
              trips. Snow camping at Santiam Snow Park in the Cascades, beach
              camping at Fort Stevens State Park, 10 day trip to Yellowstone
              National Park in Wyoming and 2 week annual training (AT) in Redmond,
              Oregon

              > Description of locations:
              > Santiam Snow Park Approx 7000' (2134 m), mountainous, snowy, lowest
              temp during trip -2 F (-19 C);
              > Fort Stevens at sea level, avg temp 50 F (10 C), rainy-downpours and
              drizzle, sandy;
              > Yellowstone, Canyon Campground, approx 9000' (2743 m), wooded high
              country, some rain, bear country
              > Redmond, Oregon high desert 6000' (1829m), low brush, dusty
              occasional downpours, one major down pour

              ### EDIT: downpour

              (3" (7.6 cm) rain and hail in under 2 hours).

              > Description of trip and performance:
              > Santiam Snow Park: This was a snowshoe trip up into the backcountry
              of the Cascades; we traveled to a remote area where the Boy Scouts
              would not be in the way of snowboarders, skiers and folks enjoying the
              snow. After several grueling hours of climbing hills and encouraging
              some very cold boys, we set up our camp. I used the bags to store my
              kitchen gear in one 30L bag, my clothing in another and my night gear
              and some of my essentials in a 15L bright yellow bag. I was worried
              that continued exposure to the freezing temperatures might cause the
              bags to become brittle or cause some structural integrity issues with
              the seams. Throughout the trip, the bags remained pliable and
              structurally sound. The quick release buckles were easy to use with my
              thick gloves on and they only occasionally pinched the gloves into the
              buckle. I was able to get into and out of my equipment without having
              to take off my gloves. The large handle made by the roll also made it
              easy to access my equipment without exposing skin. The Bright

              ### EDIT: bright

              yellow of the 15L bag made for good visibility in the dark after my
              headlamp went out and I was able to quickly and easily locate the bag
              and get out my candle lantern for light.

              > Fort Stevens State Park: this was a hike into a little used area of
              the state park reserved for youth groups. The area was a bit muddy and
              being very close to the beach was very sandy. As it normally does on
              the Oregon Coast, it rained on us and then we had some spectacular sun
              breaks. I was very glad to have these bags with me on this trip since
              many of the boys had wrapped their equipment up in garbage bags and
              Ziploc bags. The garbage bags were shredded before the end of the trip
              and could not repel any water from the gear. With the sand, most of
              the Ziplocs failed to seal properly and several boys ended up with wet
              clothing. Even with sand on the lining of my bags, they were able to
              seal easily and I was able to segregate my wet sandy clothes from the
              dry comfortable clothing (which stayed dry the entire trip). After the
              trip, the bags had some sand in them for several more trips but
              eventually it all came out. After I had a bit of success with these
              bags, I also purchased some for the rest of my family to use during
              our trip to Yellowstone.

              > Yellowstone National Park: this was a 10-day family camping trip
              with my wife, our two sons, and myself, where we base camped in Canyon
              Campground and went for excursions from there. Our three main concerns
              were bears, rain, and organization. With the bags having a D-ring if
              we had needed to we could have used them as a bear bag and hoisted it
              between two trees, and for cost this was much cheaper than buying bear
              proof containers. Fortunately, we were able to locate some of the
              large steel bear proof containers to store our food in so we were not
              able to test these out. As far as rain went, we had one really good
              summer rainstorm come through and drenched everything that was not in
              a sealed container. The tent leaked and the sleeping bags were wet,
              but the items inside of the SealLine bags were dry. As for the
              organization inside the tent, these worked perfectly, having the
              window in them my wife and I could quickly identify whose bag was
              whose and our sons had their bags color coded, yellow and blue. In
              addition to the normal uses these bags worked well for shower bags,
              and laundry bags during our trip.

              > Finally was the non-standard use trip to Redmond, Oregon where our
              unit performed AT.

              ### EDIT: Better spell out what AT is!

              When we move our equipment, no one is gentle with it, bags are thrown
              into trucks, tossed on the ground and generally drug all over the
              place. This is sagebrush, juniper, and tumbleweed area with lots of
              dust, especially with armored personnel carriers moving around the
              area. With the rough handling and general abuse these bags received I
              was certain I was going to puncture them but the seams stayed sealed,
              the last millimeter of fabric did start to fray a bit, however with
              about a centimeter of sealing this does not affect the integrity of
              the product. I had one bag with my cook set and camp stove in it (I
              need my coffee) and I was very glad to see that even with a little bit
              of white gas leaking in the bag nothing escaped. The other issue I was
              worried about was the purge valve and the fine dust that covers
              everything out there. The small filter over the purge valve worked
              very well to keep the bag from sucking up any dust or dust building up
              in the valve and making it unsealable.

              > THINGS I LIKE
              >
              > easy to grab handles
              > compressible for storage
              > durable seams
              > not designed for backpacking but very functional
              >
              > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
              >

              > The only suggested manufacturer's improvement would be to add a
              filter screen to the inside of the bag; we found that when windproof
              items, or tightly woven fabrics are right next to the purge valve it
              prevents the air from escaping.
              > The waterproofing is sticky so stuffing a sleeping bag can get
              difficult.

              > SUMMARY
              >
              > This bag went from one person using it to everyone in the family
              having at least one bag and being used on every trip we go on. The
              ease of use and the multiple applications make this a very versatile
              bag that I would recommend for all campers and backpackers (except the
              ultra light backpackers). This is a bag where weight is worth the
              benefit. Two bags weigh about a pound. I would rather carry a pound of
              dry though than 5 pounds of wet. I plan to take these bags with me for
              our rafting trip this summer and would recommend them for most water
              applications except where they would be submerged for long periods.

              > SIGNATURE
              >
              > Eric J. Frey
              > Staff Sergeant
              > Oregon Army National Guard
              >
              > Boy Scout Troop 288
              > Committee Member
              > www.t288.org

              > Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

              Window Purge 30L and 15L

              > > Hello Eric,
              > >
              > > Before getting into fully editing this, I have three requests.
              > >
              > > 1. Please review your bio. This should be 100 words, give or take
              > > five. We really only need a brief outline to indicate your experience
              > > level and backpacking style (i.e. where you fall on the continuum of
              > > ultralight to ultraheavy in packweight).
              > >
              > > 2. Your text has a great deal of unnecessary initial capitalization.
              > > This makes it quite difficult to read. For example,
              > >
              > > "Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains"
              > >
              > > is fine (these are proper nouns, as names of locations), but
              > >
              > > "The Garbage Bags were shredded..."
              > >
              > > should read
              > >
              > > "The garbage bags were shredded..."
              > >

              > > 3. When you repost (put REPOST where EDIT is now), please make sure
              > > that you are posting plaintext. You'll note a lot of odd nonce
              > > characters in Yahoo where, for example, quotation marks were. One way
              > > to avoid this is to save the document as "Text only" in Word or in
              > > Notepad (better still).
              > >
              > > Thanks very much!
              > >
              > > Ted
              > >
              > > BGT OR Editor

            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23, 2007
                Hello Eric,

                I also use dry bags (lighter, though less full-featured, than yours)
                for backpacking, as well as in my kayak. I find it a terrific way to
                keep everything semi-organized. I do like the windows on yours.

                A few more small edits, and you will be ready for upload. I will
                provide a folder for you at the end of this message.

                ### EDIT: the title should be

                SealLine Kodiak Window Dry Bags

                i.e. Don't specify the sizes in the title, but do specify what they are!

                > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack

                ### EDIT: backpack

                >I am a mid-weight Backpacker

                ### EDIT: I am a mid-weight backpacker

                www.cascadedesigns.com

                This needs to be made clickable

                30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in (28 x 64 cm); 15L
                Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x 50 cm)

                ### EDIT: Keep a space between the number and the unit. 30 L is good;
                30L is not. Please add the space where needed.

                Manufacturer's description:
                > Translucent TPU window
                > New one-way purge valve
                > Improved roll-down closure
                > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets
                you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new
                hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility
                and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an
                improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty
                round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands
                upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of
                tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every
                dry storage need.

                > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick
                submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

                ### EDIT: I strongly suggest centering the pair of images, and putting
                the text underneath. Having the "bulleted" text to the right doesn't
                look good--it's scrunched. Please remove the space before the last
                paragraph (> Waterproof Level 2...)

                The only suggested manufacturer's improvement...

                ### EDIT: the only suggested improvement...

                Boy Scout Troop 288
                Committee Member
                www.t288.org

                ### EDIT: We only allow manufacturer or personal links (to top-level
                URLs). Indeed, overall I don't think this information (all three
                lines) really adds anything, as we know from your text that you are
                involved in Scouting. Please delete.

                Finally, if the photos are yours, no problem, but if they are (as I
                suspect) SealLine's you should state "Photos courtesy of SealLine" or
                words to that effect under the images.

                Please fix as indicated, and upload to the following folder

                http://tinyurl.com/24ul5a

                Please use the test folder first to make sure everything is as it
                should be. Be sure to mark the "Owner Review" radio button upon
                upload. Thank you.

                Ted

                -- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>

              • eric.frey@us.army.mil
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Done-had to teach myself some HTML to center the wording but it is uploaded.