Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Owner Review - Squall 2 Tarptent - Ray Estrella

Expand Messages
  • rayestrella1
    Welcome back everybody. Here is an OR in response to the call. HTML may be found here; http://tinyurl.com/yllhk4 Tarptent Squall 2 Initial Report January 02,
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Welcome back everybody. Here is an OR in response to the call. HTML
      may be found here;


      Tarptent Squall 2

      Initial Report
      January 02, 2006

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 46
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over the state of
      California, and also in Washington, Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho
      and Utah. I hike year-round, mostly in the Sierra Nevada, and average
      500+ miles (800+ km) per year. As I start my 4th decade of
      backpacking I am making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller
      volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the
      afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy
      hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually my brother-in-law
      Dave or girlfriend Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Tarptent by Henry Shires
      Web site: www.tarptent.com
      Product: Squall 2 w/ sewn-in floor
      Year manufactured: 2006
      MSRP: $230.00 (US)
      Size: 2 person
      Weight (complete) listed: 2 lb 3 oz (1.8 kg) Actual weight: 2 lb 2.1
      oz ( kg)
      Interior height listed (at front): 45 in (114 cm) Verified accurate
      but can change with setup
      Height at rear (mine): 21 in (53 cm)
      Length listed: 94 in (239 cm) Verified accurate but can change with
      Width (foot & head) listed: 51 and 78 in (130 & 198 cm) Verified
      Packed size listed: 20 x 4 x 3 in (51 x 10 x 7.5 cm) Verified accurate
      Color: Dusty Green
      Warranty: (quoted from company web site) "Tarptents are fully
      guaranteed against fabric and workmanship failure and you may return
      one uninjured for a full refund if not satisfied. That means you can
      set one up, even try it out overnight, and then decide if it's
      something that will work for you. We stand behind every Tarptent and
      will make every effort to repair or replace products that fail due to
      defects in workmanship or materials. Normal wear and tear repairs
      will be done on a "non profit" basis and we will provide a price
      quote before beginning the work. In many cases, we charge only for
      the return shipping."

      Product Description

      The Squall 2 is a 2-person Tarptent from Henry Shires. It sits
      squarely in the middle of his Tarptent line-up.

      The main covering or "tarp" part of the tent is made of "High
      tenacity 1.1-ounce/yd^2 yd^2
      (m^2) ripstop nylon, impregnated with silicone. Final fabric weight
      is approximately 1.3 ounces/yd^2." (All quotes from manufacturer.) It
      is very slick and slippery feeling. The body sits 4-6 in (10-15 cm)
      above the ground when set-up to allow for ventilation. The front of
      it is split to create an opening that utilizes two strips of Velcro
      to join them together closing the shelter to the elements. Depending
      on the pole height this beak/vestibule ends up being a foot (30 cm)
      or so off the ground.

      The optional floor, which I have, is made of the same material but is
      black in color. The floor has little 3 in (7 cm) walls at the edges
      to create a tub effect to stop running water from flowing over the
      floor. They clip to the corners to help support them. Unclipping will
      let the floor stretch out further to give more room. As I bought this
      to use as a solo shelter I just leave the corners clipped up.

      The floor is attached to the tarp with No-see-um netting along the
      bottom at the back and sides. At the front of the shelter it goes
      across the face from floor to peak to make it bug-proof. A small
      gauge zipper runs down the center of this panel and each side has its
      own at the bottom. Velcro keepers attached to the tarp allow the
      netting to be gathered out of the way when not needed.

      At the top front of the shelter are the "Dual catenary curves with
      strut support". The strut mentioned is made of aluminum and sits in a
      pocket centered over the opening. When one (centered) or two (at each
      end of the strut) poles, trekking poles in my case, are inserted into
      the grommets in front of the strut they become the support for the
      front of the shelter. The catenary curves add strength and help to
      create more head room for the Squall. Here is a shot of the front and
      looking inside.

      The rear of the Squall is supported by an Easton aluminum 7075-
      T9 .344 in (8.74 mm) diameter tubing pole that runs through a sleeve
      at the back and plugs into grommets at the corners. A single stake is
      used with the attached triple-guyline to pull the top of the
      resulting arch away from the front of the tent, keeping the whole
      thing standing upright.

      The front of the Squall uses a guy line also to support the shelter
      and to hold the beak/vestibule when closed up. A small clip tied to
      the guy-line with a prussic knot (allowing it to slide for
      adjustment) holds tension against the beak. All of the guy-lines have
      cool line-tensioners on them, maybe the strongest and easiest
      adjusting tensioners I have ever used.

      Inside of the tent is a small gear pocket.

      Field Conditions

      I first used the Squall 2 on a five (supposed to be eight) day trip
      to the western Sierra Nevada, leaving from Edison Lake and going over
      three major passes. I started with a 37.5 lb (17 kg) pack. This trip
      saw temps down to 29 F (-2 C) with rain and snow. This area is very
      rocky especially above tree-line. At lower elevations it is packed
      dirt with a good helping of rock mixed in. A tough area to get stakes
      into the ground.

      I also used it on two trips to the San Bernardino Mountains. The
      temps got down to 27 F (-3 C). I was set up at 9250' elevation (2820


      I bought the Squall 2 in May of 2006 but could not use it because of
      testing duties. I decided to give it a thorough first use by taking
      it on a 95 mile (153 km) hike from Edison Lake in the Sierra Nevada
      west side to Roads End in Kings Canyon National Park at the beginning
      of October. The weather had been forecast to be great. Sunny all
      week with a 30% chance of rain one day in the middle.

      Alas the weather forecast changed dramatically the morning we hit the
      trail. By 1:30 PM our first day we were in rain gear. We found a good
      spot to camp and since it had dropped to a sprinkle decided to take
      it and hurry getting our Tarptents up. (Dave had the new Contrail.) I
      had only set the Squall 2 up twice in the front yard before this
      trip, yet I had it up fast. The following evenings went even faster.

      I set it on a piece of Tyvek I had cut as a ground-cloth. As the rain
      came down in earnest after getting it up I climbed inside to make
      dinner. I was a little nervous about firing the stove up inside of
      the little vestibule. Was it going to disappear into a few smoking
      shreds from the slightest bit of escaping heat? No. I boiled water
      for mine and later Dave's dinners with no mishap.

      I went to bed after dinner as there is not much else to do when it is
      pouring out and the temps is steadily dropping. While lying on my
      back it was interesting to watch the play of the rain drops that I
      could see very clearly through the sil-nylon of the tarptent. I guess
      I did a good job seam sealing it as I had no leaks. The rain grew in
      intensity as the night went on. I was concerned as to it coming
      through the side mesh and over the little walls of the floor. But it
      never did. I was very impressed by the way the Squall 2 handled the
      precip. I noticed no build up of condensation even though it was
      raining so hard. (I felt the walls each time I woke in during the

      At 3:00 AM I woke up and noticed that the sound of the rain had
      changed. It was pitch-black and even though I could not see something
      felt funny. I turned on my head lamp to find the walls of the Squall
      almost touching me everywhere. The rain had turned to snow and was
      stretching the sil-nylon out quite severely. Henry Shires had told me
      to expect this and to be prepared to know the snow off and tighten
      the line to keep the tarp taut. I started banging off the snow and
      was treated to a rain shower inside my tent! The walls that were so
      dry earlier were heavily covered in condensation. I got water all
      over the place. I had to beat snow off the rest of the morning until
      I got up at 5:45 AM.

      I had to break camp in heavy snow fall. I packed as much as I could
      inside of the Squall 2 and then had to get it put away. I had wiped
      it down inside with my washcloth, having to wring it out three times
      in the process. I shook as much water as I could from the outside
      then folded/rolled it up as quick as possible, shoving it inside of
      the stuff sack. When I took it out the next evening I found that I
      should have seam sealed the stuff sack. A lot of water ran out of the
      sil-nylon and through the sack right onto my sleeping bag.

      As we both had a lot of wet gear (Dave slept right through the snow
      and when I could not wake him up I finally got up to check on him. He
      was asleep with his Tarptent collapsed over him. Everything was
      soaked.) we decided to stop early at a nice location to spread things
      out to dry. I set the Squall up and strapped the vestibule back.
      Within a couple of hours it was dry inside. As the weather was not
      bad I kept the vestibule open that night. I had no condensation, and
      in fact did not have any bad problems as long as it was not snowing.
      It may help that I use the two-person Squall as a solo shelter
      though. Here is a picture at this camp on the San Joaquin River in
      Kings Canyon national Park.

      The next day we went 24 miles (38 km) and found a suitable space for
      the Tarptents with only about 45 minutes of daylight left. I whipped
      out the Squall 2 expecting to have it up in a couple of minutes.
      Aaah! I lost my stakes! I must have dropped them at our last camp
      site. I used a combination of rocks and sticks. It was not very
      secure and I had a hard time keeping everything taut.

      Because of weather issues we had to backtrack a long way the same way
      we came to get out of the Sierra ahead of a two-day storm that the
      Forest Service told us was bearing down on us. (We had a satellite
      phone.) I told Dave I would carry some of his gear to help him go
      farther/faster if we could make it back to our previous campsite. He
      asked why and I told that I would feel a lot better about getting
      caught by the storm if I could have the Squall securely set up with
      stakes. I did not like the way it was the night before. We made it
      back almost at dark again. The stakes were there, thank God, so I was
      able to set the Squall 2 up right.

      On the two trips in southern California the Squall worked out
      wonderfully. As I was on a peak bagging trip for one of them I set up
      the Squall and put most of my gear inside of it. Then I took the
      trekking poles back out and let the tent collapse over everything. I
      put a rock on the collapsed beak area and left for the day to climb
      two peaks. When I got back I just popped my poles under it again and
      I was ready to go. Here is a picture of it at High Creek, south of
      Mount San Gorgonio.

      I have come to a few conclusions about my Tarptent. I am not
      concerned about using it in wet weather. It handled the rain with
      aplomb. I will not take it on any trip that I even think will get
      snow. I could tell by the build-up of snow collecting around the
      sides of the tent as I knocked it from the body that it would be easy
      to get enough snow to block the venting capabilities of the design.
      (Remember that this is NOT positioned as a winter tent. I am not
      knocking it.) When I would pack it up I would look back and see a 3-
      sided rectangle of snow where it was sitting.

      I will also use this just in my lower altitude trips. One site that
      we skipped on was because it was exposed and solid rock. There was no
      place to get a stake in and the wind was blowing hard enough to think
      we may have had a problem to try just gathering rocks to hold it. I
      have placed free-standing tents in locations like this many times.
      Maybe I am wrong about this, but I went with my gut feeling.

      I would also like to mention that Henry Shires, the owner of
      Tarptent, is the most helpful and approachable person I have ever
      dealt with. I have purchased a Rainshadow and Contrail from him too.
    • chcoa
      PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN FULL. IT IS MOST IMPORTANT! Thanks for your Owner s Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      • 0 Attachment

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner
        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do
        not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our
        Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response
        from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben@....

        To assist in this process, if this is your first Owner Review we ask
        that you post only ONE Owner Review for edit at a time. Our
        experience is that it is more efficient for both the Editors and
        yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved
        and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews.
        This way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy
        edits which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent
        reviews before submission.

        If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community!
        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints,
        to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely
        manner. Once these first two Owner Reviews have been approved and
        you have submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to
        start applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance
        with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to
        Jennifer P, the mentor coordinator, at (jennifer.pope@...).

        You may receive edits or comments from other members of the group.
        These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
        carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your
        review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list
        will usually result in a better review, as well as making things
        easier for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject
        line of your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any
        changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit

        Additionally, it is important for you to monitor the Yahoo Groups
        list to keep track of the progress of your Owner Review. Once an
        Editor has taken your OR and made the necessary edits they will post
        their comments to the list with EDIT in the subject line. Once you
        have incorporated these edits into your review please use REPOST in
        the subject line. When your OR has been approved by the Editor they
        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR, the entire
        Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on Fridays.

        If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask via
        the list or contact me directly.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Manager
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.