Owner Review - SEA TO SUMMIT Sn240 ULTRA-LIGHT STUFF SACKS - Andrew Priest

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
      Dear Editors

      For your pain of being an editor you can have a
      second Owner Review from me. You will find the
      HTML copy at
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Andrew_OR_Sea_to_Summit_Sn240_Stuff_sacks>

      Thanks
      Andrew Priest

      SEA TO SUMMIT Sn240 ULTRA-LIGHT STUFF SACKS
      Owner Review
      January 2, 2007

      Photo courtesy of Sea to Summit

      Authored by

      Andrew Priest
      Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      aushiker@...

      TABLE OF CONTENTS

      *Product Details and Specifications
      *Tester's Details
      +Personal Biography
      +Testing Playground
      +Testing Environment
      * Review Comments
      + Overview
      + Field Conditions
      + Field Experience

      Andrew, the tester:

      I am a 46 year old male, 180 cm (5' 11") in
      height, I weigh 111 kg (245 lb). I have been
      bushwalking in Western Australia for
      approximately five years. For the past four years
      I have been regularly walking and leading on and
      off-track pack carries with the Perth Bushwalkers
      Club. I have also got into geocaching. I consider
      myself as moving towards being a lightweight
      tent-carrying bushwalker with my pack base weight
      in the 8 to 12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. I have
      completed my End to End of the Bibbulmun Track
      (2003), the Cape to Cape Track (Nov 2001), the
      Coastal Plains Walk Track (numerous times), the
      Larapinta Trail (July 2005) and Fitzgerald River National Park (April 2006).

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Andrew's testing playground:

      The bushwalking environment of the south-west of
      Western Australia allows for bushwalks and
      backpacking from coastal plains to forest.
      Elevation ranges from 0 to 585 metres (0 to 1,920
      feet). Within this region, I walk in varying
      conditions from forestry roads, to sandy tracks
      to single-purpose walking trails, to rock
      hopping, to beach walking to completely off-track
      walking through open and dense country.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      The testing environment:

      During the summer period, daytime temperatures
      average 30° C (86° F), whereas from March through
      to December the daytime average temperatures
      range from 15° C to 26° C (59° F to 79° F).
      During the autumn, winter, and spring periods the
      normal weather pattern is fairly wet with
      frequent heavy rainstorms evident. It does not
      normally snow in Western Australia.

      According to The Times Atlas of the World
      (Concise Edition - Revised 1997) our weather is
      described as being "Mediterranean - rainy
      climates with mild winters, coolest month above
      0° C (32° F), but below 18° C (64° F); warmest
      month above 10° C (50° F)." The atlas depicts the
      coastal area north of Los Angeles, California,
      United States, as having the same climate.

      Product Details:

      * Manufacturer: Sea to Summit (International) or Sea to Summit USA
      * Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      * MSRP: Not available

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Specifications:

      *Manufacturer's specified weight: 14 g (0.5 oz) -
      Size XS; 17 g (0.6 oz ) - Size S
      *My weight: 15 g (0.5 oz) - Size XS; 18 g (0.63 oz ) - size S
      *Manufacturer's Measurements: 13 cm x 30.5 cm (5"
      x 12") - Size XS; 16.5 cm x 33 cm (6.5" x 13") - Size S
      *My measurements: Not measured as I can't
      ascertain how the manufacturer has measured the sacks.
      *Manufacturer's Stated Volume: 4 litres (240 cu
      in) - Size XS; 6.5 litres (430 cu in) - Size S.
      *My Measured Volume: Not measured.

      Review Comments:

      Overview:

      I purchased my Sea to Summit Sn240 Ultra-Light
      Stuff Sacks in combination with some Sea to
      Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks as I need to change my
      packing style when I started testing the Granite
      Gear Stratus Latitude pack. I have used stuff
      sacks and dry bags for a number of years so I am
      familiar with using them. The difference with
      these stuff sacks is their lightweight and their material.

      Sea to Summit do make various sizes, ranging from
      XXS to XXL. I only use a extra small (XS) and
      small (S) sized stuff sack so my comments are in
      the main respective of these sizes. The Sn240
      Ultra-Light Stuff Sacks are according to Sea to
      Summit made of a "30 denier ripstop Siliconised
      [sic] Cordura material. Sea to Summit describe
      the stuff sacks as having "high tear strength,"
      and a "slippery finish for easy packing." The
      stuff sacks are cylindrical in shape with a grab
      handle sewn on the bottom and a draw-cord at the open end.

      Field Conditions:

      As I mentioned early I have used stuff sacks and
      dry sacks for a number of years. I started using
      the Sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sacks in April 2006.
      I have used the stuff sacks on my eight day walk
      of the Fitzgerald River National Park, on weekend
      backpacks in the Yanchep National Park and St
      John's Brook Conservation Park and on a day walk.

      Field Experience:

      My primary use of the stuff sacks is to hold my
      first aid kit which is a loose assortment of
      various items literally stuffed into the sack and
      some other assorted personal items. All my gear
      is stored in either stuff sacks or dry bags
      within my pack. Depending on the walk my pack
      can be packed to its maximum capacity or with
      some spare capacity. On the Fitzgerald River walk
      my pack was pushed to its limit so stuff sacks
      where literally stuffed into the pack for pretty
      much all of the eight days, as even as the food
      was eaten the freed up space was taken up gear from coming in from the cold.

      My comments above lead me to the slippery finish
      of the stuff sacks and to some extent their
      apparent high tear strength. I have mixed
      feelings on the slipperiness of the material. On
      the one hand when getting the stuff sack into a
      tight spot or trying to compress it around things
      the slipperiness is an advantage in my
      experience. I found it really good when I was top
      down packing my pack. However, when I used the
      Stratus Latitude more as a "travel pack", that is
      opening up the whole pack and packing it sort of
      like a suitcase, the slipperiness became a pain
      as it became harder to keep the stuff sacks in
      place whilst adding other gear before partially
      closing up the pack and therefore "locking in" so
      to speak the sacks packed up to that point. What
      this means is that I have found the stuff sack
      slipperiness great when either I packed my pack
      from the top to bottom but not so hot when I took a suitcase approach.

      In respect of the durability and tear strength of
      the material, my usage to date has not result in
      any damage to the sacks material. My initial
      impression of the material had me a little
      concerned about its durability such that I have
      continued to store my gas stove in a thicker
      material stuff sack. Having now used the Sn240
      stuff sacks for awhile I am ready to try using
      one to store my stove and accessories.

      I also have found that the sacks do not appear to
      take up dirt easily so have not bothered to wash
      mine yet. Similar usage of my nylon stuff sacks
      would have seen me washing them after each trip.

      On the negative side I have managed to break the
      cord lock on the small sack. I do feel that the
      cord lock are not as substantive as I would like.
      The lock on the small sack went with a few days
      of purchase. It has not been a major hassle but
      still it would be nice if the cord lock where more substantive in my view.

      The other feature I like about the stuff sacks is
      the grab handle on the bottom of the sack. This
      can make it just that bit easier to get the gear
      out of the sack, especially when it is stuffed in
      tight. A handy feature in my view.

      So in summary I am pretty happy with the Sea to
      Summit Sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sacks and will
      continue to use them as my stuff sacks. I can
      live with the slipperiness of the material but
      would like to see the cord locks being of a more substantive material.

      [Click here to return to the top]
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2007
          Hello Andrew,

          Here's your edit. When complete, please upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/ylo3gj

          Incidentally, no biggie but I noticed in both your reviews some
          arbitrary changes in typeface in the HTML. The preliminary information
          tends to be (mostly) in sans-serif, the main text in a serifed
          typeface. Not sure if this was deliberate.

          Best,

          Ted.

          > Review Comments:
          >
          > Overview:
          >
          > I purchased my Sea to Summit Sn240 Ultra-Light
          > Stuff Sacks in combination with some Sea to
          > Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks as I need to change my
          > packing style when I started testing the Granite
          > Gear Stratus Latitude pack. I have used stuff
          > sacks and dry bags for a number of years so I am
          > familiar with using them. The difference with
          > these stuff sacks is their lightweight

          ### EDIT: light weight

          and their material.

          > Sea to Summit do make various sizes, ranging from
          > XXS to XXL. I only use a extra small (XS) and
          > small (S) sized stuff sack so my comments are in
          > the main respective of these sizes. The Sn240
          > Ultra-Light Stuff Sacks are according to Sea to
          > Summit made of a "30 denier ripstop Siliconised
          > [sic] Cordura material.

          ### EDIT: close quote

          Sea to Summit describe
          > the stuff sacks as having "high tear strength,"
          > and a "slippery finish for easy packing." The
          > stuff sacks are cylindrical in shape with a grab
          > handle sewn on the bottom and a draw-cord at the open end.
          >

          > Field Experience:
          >
          > My primary use of the stuff sacks is to hold my
          > first aid kit which is a loose assortment of
          > various items literally stuffed into the sack and
          > some other assorted personal items.

          ### COMMENT: This is a bit of a breathless sentence. Personally, I
          think "a loose assortment of various items, and some assorted personal
          gear, literally stuffed into the sack" would read easier. Your call.

          All my gear
          > is stored in either stuff sacks or dry bags
          > within my pack. Depending on the walk my pack
          > can be packed to its maximum capacity or with
          > some spare capacity. On the Fitzgerald River walk
          > my pack was pushed to its limit so stuff sacks
          > where

          ### EDIT were

          literally stuffed into the pack for pretty
          > much all of the eight days, as even as the food
          > was eaten the freed up space was taken up gear from coming in from
          the cold.

          ### EDIT: The last part of this sentence doesn't make sense to me.
          Should be "by gear" BTW but I don't understand the "coming in from the
          cold." Could you elaborate, please?

          > In respect of the durability and tear strength of
          > the material, my usage to date has not result in
          > any damage to the sacks

          ### EDIT: sack's or sacks'

          material. My initial
          > impression of the material had me a little
          > concerned about its durability such that I have
          > continued to store my gas stove in a thicker
          > material stuff sack. Having now used the Sn240
          > stuff sacks for awhile I am ready to try using
          > one to store my stove and accessories.

          ### COMMENT: Have you tried a water test i.e. filling the bag? Often
          revealing.

          > I also have found that the sacks do not appear to
          > take up dirt easily so

          ### EDIT I

          have not bothered to wash
          > mine yet. Similar usage of my nylon stuff sacks
          > would have seen me washing them after each trip.
          >
          > On the negative side I have managed to break the
          > cord lock on the small sack. I do feel that the
          > cord lock are not as substantive

          ### EDIT: substantial [this could be regional--the words are very
          close in meaning]

          as I would like.
          > The lock on the small sack went with

          ### EDIT: within

          a few days
          > of purchase. It has not been a major hassle but
          > still it would be nice if the cord lock where more substantive

          ### EDIT: was more substantial

          in my view.

          > The other feature I like about the stuff sacks is
          > the grab handle on the bottom of the sack. This
          > can make it just that bit easier to get the gear
          > out of the sack, especially when it is stuffed in
          > tight. A handy feature in my view.
          >
          > So in summary I am pretty happy with the Sea to
          > Summit Sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sacks and will
          > continue to use them as my stuff sacks. I can
          > live with the slipperiness of the material but
          > would like to see the cord locks being of a more substantive

          ### EDIT: see above re substantive

          material.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2007
            Hello Andrew,

            > Not sure why this is happening. When I check the font tags in
            > FrontPage it all comes up as "Arial," i.e., no other fonts are used.
            > Suggestions?

            ### Not really. I've never used FP. I haven't had time to look at the
            HTML, sorry to say (I'm been helping a daughter design a website for a
            school project). The font is not a critical issue, and some people
            browse with their own preset fonts anyhow.

            > AP:> Changed to "by gear". Have you read the "Spy who came in from
            > the Cold" by <http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Who-Came-Cold/dp/0743442539>
            >
            > John le Carre? My use of the expression was an oblique reference to
            > bring gear from the outside of the pack to the inside.

            ### Long ago. Good book. BTW, should be "taken up by gear coming in
            from the cold." The "from" is misplaced, I think. Actually, I think
            the reference would be clearer if you put quotes around "coming in
            from the cold."

            > Does not "sack's or sacks' " refer to ownership of what follows? As
            > nothing follows wouldn't "sacks" be correct? I wait your advice.

            ### it refers to the sacks ownership of the material, the next word in
            the sentence. "sack's material" if you are referring to a single sack,
            "sacks' material" if you are referring to a multiple.

            > No but interested in what you think it will show.

            ### my periodic test to see if dry bags are still waterproof. But
            then, I'm not sure if these are supposed to be water-resistant, as
            this is described as a stuff sack--I may be confusing it with another
            Sea to Summit Sn240 product I own, which has a roll-top dry bag closure.
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2007
              Hi Ted

              Thanks for your edits. I think all taken onboard. Some minor comments below.

              Regards
              Andrew

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
                At 07:43 AM 12/01/2007, you wrote:
                >### Long ago. Good book. BTW, should be "taken up by gear coming in
                >from the cold." The "from" is misplaced, I think. Actually, I think
                >the reference would be clearer if you put quotes around "coming in
                >from the cold."

                AP:> I have added the quotation marks and turned it into two
                sentences but otherwise left the expression as is :-).

                > > Does not "sack's or sacks' " refer to ownership of what follows? As
                > > nothing follows wouldn't "sacks" be correct? I wait your advice.
                >
                >### it refers to the sacks ownership of the material, the next word in
                >the sentence. "sack's material" if you are referring to a single sack,
                >"sacks' material" if you are referring to a multiple.

                AP:> Okay. I missed the split in the edit .... Now fixed.

                > > No but interested in what you think it will show.
                >
                >### my periodic test to see if dry bags are still waterproof. But
                >then, I'm not sure if these are supposed to be water-resistant, as
                >this is described as a stuff sack--I may be confusing it with another
                >Sea to Summit Sn240 product I own, which has a roll-top dry bag closure.

                These are stuff sacks, not dry bags, so waterproofness or even
                water-resistance is not applicable.

                Now uploaded. Thanks for your edits Ted.

                Andrew