Mark Hart Please Read - Re: OWNER REVIEW Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
        Hi Mark,

        Thank you for your Owner Review, it is a very nice job. Your initial
        edits will follow. They will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
        to the subject line.

        Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
        you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
        for example of the proper form.

        Ray

        ***Height: 5'11" / 1.80m

        EDIT: need a space between your numbers. (5' 11")

        ***Weight: 200 Lb / 91 Kg

        EDIT: abbreviations not capitalized, lb and kg

        ***Brief Background:

        EDIT: I hate to have to do it, but can you make it a bit briefer? We
        have a 100 word limit on bio's.

        ***I have recently started to carry less (lighter, more multipurpose)
        equipment in order to accomodate more of my photographic gear

        EDIT: accommodate

        ***Weight: 13oz/369g (measured with cooking scale)

        EDIT: you need the manufacturers listed weight along with your
        weight. Which is 12.5 oz in this case. Also you need a space between
        the abbreviations. (12 oz / 369 g)

        ***Testing Locations: Hiking through several park forests on
        photographic
        day trips as well as daily wear around town.

        EDIT: we like to see more information in the Field Data section. Look
        at some other reviews for examples. Locations, seasons, temps,
        weather conditions, elevations all help the reader know how it was
        used and if it would work for them.

        ***I have used this jacket during cold-weather photoshoots

        EDIT: photo-shoots

        ***This jacket is totally compressible and stuffs into its own sack
        which, incidentally, makes a fantastic pillow once you're in your
        sleeping bag

        EDIT: can you replace "once you're in your sleeping bag" with "once I
        am in my sleeping bag"? We don't use you, your, etc. in our reviews
        to avoid projection. We keep them in the first person.

        ***When wearing this jacket it might make some sense to play it safe
        and push
        the sleeves up or remove the jacket altogether as you start your stove

        EDIT: same thing. Can you reword it?

        ***I can feel comfortable wearing a light jacket/windbreaker and a
        100-weight fleece with a light snowhat

        EDIT: snow hat

        Dislikes:
        *No hand pockets at the waist - this keeps the weight down, but would
        be nice to have a pair of slash pockets from time to time.

        ***Patagonia does make a 'Micro Puff Jacket' that has zippered
        pockets and a hood (MSRP: $188 21oz / 595g)

        EDIT: this should be removed, just stick to the item that you are
        reviewing.

        ***I don't feel as if the the jacket were designed to be high activity

        EDIT: remove extra "the"
      • Hart, Mark Smylie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
          Ray - thanks for your edits. I've gone ahead and made them all, but I'm going to hold off on resubmitting this one...I'm going to do a multi-nighter field test in early February in order to put this jacket through a more useful test...not everyone who would read my review is into photography and I thought some campsite experience would help the review.

          Should I just sit on this for a while and resubmit with the edits made or should we scrap this and start from scratch when I get back from my trip?

          Mark Smylie Hart
          t = 217.778.2908
          e = marksmyliehart@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Hart, Mark Smylie"
            <marksmyliehart@...> wrote:

            > Ray - thanks for your edits. I've gone ahead and made them all,
            but I'm going to hold off on resubmitting this one...I'm going to do
            a multi-nighter field test in early February in order to put this
            jacket through a more useful test...not everyone who would read my
            review is into photography and I thought some campsite experience
            would help the review.

            > Should I just sit on this for a while and resubmit with the edits
            made or should we scrap this and start from scratch when I get back
            from my trip?

            Hi Mark,

            I am fine waiting for a month. Just make sure to let me know here
            when you are ready. Jamie may send you a notice from lack of
            activity. I will try to field it if I remember your name. (You would
            be surprised at how many people we can deal with in 5 weeks time.)
            Have fun collecting more data.

            If you want to get a review in before then, you can pull this one and
            submit a new one. Then use the pull-over for your second review as it
            would be mostly complete. Up to you.

            Ray
          • Hart, Mark Smylie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
              Ray - I think I've gotten this one wrapped up. Got a little more data and I think it's a better review now.

              Here's the whole shootin' match again:

              =====

              Patagonia Micropuff Pullover

              Owner Review - Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover

              Personal Information:
              Name: Mark Smylie Hart
              Age: 34
              Gender: Male
              Height: 5' 11" (1.80m)
              Weight: 200 Lb (91 Kg)
              Email: marksmyliehart at gmail dot com
              Location: Urbana, Illinois - USA

              Brief Background: Years after a stint in the Boy Scouts, I've gotten the hiking and backpacking bug again and hope to continue to get out more in the near future. My equipment is probably a little heavy for my bare essentials, but I have recently started to carry less (lighter, more multipurpose) equipment in order to accommodate camera gear.

              Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
              Manufacturer: Patagonia
              Material (from manufacturer's website): Shell: 1.3oz ripstop polyester (DWR Finish) - Insulation: 2.7oz Polarguard Delta
              Bought: January 2006
              Website: http://www.patagonia.com
              Size: Men's Extra Large
              Weight: 12.5 oz (354 g) / 12 oz (340 g) without stuff sack measured with cooking scale
              MSRP: $148

              Testing Locations and Conditions: Multi-day backpacking trips in Central Illinois (Starved Rock), as well as day hikes in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin in wind and wet snow. I have also used this jacket to walk to and from work - 4 Miles (6.4 Km) in each direction while carrying a 16 Lb (7.2 Kg) daypack. Temperatures ranged from 15 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 to +4 Celsius) at an average of 900 ft (274m) above sea level.

              Description: This jacket is available in multiple colors and comes with its own stuff-sack. The jacket has elasticized wrist cuffs and an elastic drawstring waist which is operable with one hand. The 1/4 length zipper has a rubberized toggle (good for gloved gripping) and the neck has a small flap to prevent your chin from touching the zipper in the cold, and because it is not covered with microfleece it won't trap moisture and freeze. It also has a concealed, zippered chest pocket to keep small items handy.

              Review: While this jacket is rather spartan in terms of bells and whistles, it does one thing and does it very well: it keeps you warm and it does so without restricting your movement. Photography is at times an activity that requires a wide range of motion in the shoulders and I have never felt like I was fighting this jacket to get my elbows in the proper position to frame my shot. It feels thoroughly windproof and when walking across open spaces in January and February; I never felt even the slightest chill. I have used this jacket during cold weather photo-shoots in the middle of winter, very early spring as well as late fall between 15 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 to +4 Celsius) when the wind is blowing at a steady 15 mph (24 kph) and have been quite comfortable carrying up to 20 Lb (9 Kg) of camera equipment, although if I don't use a sternum strap the ripstop polyester shell floating on the insulation can make the shoulder straps of my backpack want to roam around a bit. While stationary in camp and at night, the Micro Puff has kept me warm while sitting near a medium fire and continued to keep me warm enough in my sleeping bag (military mummy bag) that I could leave the bag's zipper partially open and comfortably read a book in any position.

              The Micro Puff also feels as if it weighs nothing and sheds snow, light rain and mist without any trouble and its flexibility allows for unrestricted movement when slinging my backpack on and off, changing lenses, setting up my tent, etc. I haven't put this jacket's Deluge DWR finish to the test in a full rain and I doubt that I ever would in the field - I would cover it with a shell or get under a shelter. That said, its ability to shed sprinkles is comforting in that I know I don't have to scramble to dig out my waterproof shell immediately - I can continue doing what I was doing.

              On the cold end of my testing temperature range the Micro Puff is actually more comfortable than wearing a down parka (North Face McMurdo) in which I find myself sweating from medium-paced walking without carrying a load. In the Micro Puff with air temperature of 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius), I did not sweat at all carrying a 16 Lb (7.2 Kg) backpack although I have found that when the temperature is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 Celsius) and above, this jacket is too warm for moderate hiking. I feel the lack of pit-zips inreases my tendency to overheat and sweat. However, for the weight it costs and the amount of comfort it provides in camp and at rest, I wouldn't dream of leaving it behind on a trip which promises chilly mornings or evenings (it weighs roughly 33% less than either of my 300-weight fleece pullovers, and is windproof to boot). This is also the first jacket with synthetic insulation I've used that hasn't felt odd or lumpy after a short time. This jacket is totally compressible and stuffs into its own sack which, incidentally, makes a fantastic pillow once I'm in my sleeping bag - in the stuff sack the jacket is about the size of a large cylinder of propane fuel.

              Caveats: This jacket is made from nylon which makes it prone to melting if it comes in contact with flame or even a hot ember. When wearing this jacket, I play it safe and push the sleeves up or remove the jacket altogether when starting my stove and I am mindful of the wind's direction when I stoke a wood fire or fan the flames - a spark could potentially put a hole in the jacket that the designers didn't intend.

              One final item of note regarding this review: I am typically warmer than average. I can feel comfortable wearing a light jacket/windbreaker and a 100-weight fleece with a light snow hat when others I've camped with felt cold while wearing 600-fill down jackets. I feel it is important to mention this because while I feel this jacket is quite warm and comfortable, someone else with a different body type may be too hot or too cold in the same situation.

              Likes:
              *Very warm - like a sleeping bag with arms
              *Very light
              *Windproof
              *Water Resistant
              *Insulates well even when damp/wet with snow
              *Shorter collar works well to retain heat, but doesn't crowd the neck and chin when wearing a hardshell
              *Compressible and insulation is crush-proof (maintains its loft very well)
              *Easy to layer over clothing in colder conditions

              Dislikes:
              *No hand pockets at the waist. It would be nice to have a pair of slash pockets from time to time.
              *No pit zips - although I don't feel as if the jacket were designed to be high activity jacket...more of a keep warm while in camp / evil weather jacket.
              *Rubberized zipper is quite small and impossible to attach a zipper pull which makes it difficult to grab with mittens, although gloves seem to work fine.

            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
                Hi Mark,

                Thank you for your revised Owner Review; it is a very nice job. Your
                initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

                EDIT: must be changed

                When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                to the subject line.

                Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
                you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
                for example of the proper form.

                Ray

                ***Height: 5' 11" (1.80m)

                EDIT: need a space at 80 m

                ***Weight: 200 Lb (91 Kg)

                EDIT: lb and kg
                (Please change all the capitalized abbreviations, Kg, Lb, Km, etc. to
                lower case throughout.)

                ***Material (from manufacturer's website): Shell: 1.3oz ripstop
                polyester

                EDIT: need metric conversions for all units. Also need a space at 1.3
                oz

                ***Insulation: 2.7oz Polarguard Delta

                Edit: where did you come up with this number? I can't find it.

                ***Weight: 12.5 oz (354 g) / 12 oz (340 g) without stuff sack
                measured with cooking scale

                EDIT: need to clarify Listed weight, and measured /actual weight.

                ***MSRP: $148

                EDIT: "$148.00 (USD)" we need to say what currency it is as there are
                other dollar currencies.

                ***average of 900 ft (274m) above sea level.

                EDIT: 274 m

                ***and the neck has a small flap to prevent your chin from touching
                the zipper

                EDIT: please change "your" to "my". As I said in the first batch of
                edits the review needs to stay in the first person.

                ***it keeps you warm and it does so without restricting your
                movement.

                EDIT: same thing

                ***I feel the lack of pit-zips inreases my tendency to overheat and
                sweat.

                EDIT: increases

                ***However, for the weight it costs and the amount of comfort it
                provides

                EDIT: do you mean "for what it weighs"? "Costs" is the wrong word
                here.