EDIT - OR Komperdell Savannah Trekking Poles - Tim Tessier

  • timothy_tessier
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2006
      Owner Review Komperdell Savannah Anti-Shock Trekking Poles

      Date: November 26, 2006

      Reviewer Information:

      Tim Tessier
      Age: 49
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.9 Meters)
      Weight: 215 lb (98 Kg)
      Email Address: timothy_tessier@...
      Located in: Greensboro North Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background: I hiked as a child with my father and
      started hiking with my son 7 years ago when he was eight years old.
      We now routinely take 20 mile weekend hikes (two nights)
      approximately once a month year round. Additionally, we take one,
      five to seven day extended trip each summer. Most of our hiking is
      done in NC, southern VA, TN, KY, and WV. We go regardless of
      weather so we have experience in all types of conditions. We do not
      tend to travel very light, with a typical pack weight of 25 lb (11.3
      kg) exclusive of food.

      Product Specifications:

      Manufacturer: Komperdell
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      List Price: N/A

      Additional Specifications (per manufacturer)
      Carbide Tips
      Contoured Cork Grips with Nylon straps
      Anti-Shock Mechanism
      Summer baskets included. Snow baskets are available as an option.

      The Savannahs are three section hiking poles made of aluminum. Each
      pole features a carbide tip, and a removable plastic basket at one
      end, and a contoured cork handle with a nylon webbing strap at the
      other. The baskets are attached to two metal nubs that stick out
      from the sides of the pole. The baskets have notches that you slide
      over the nubs then rotate half a turn to lock into place. The pole
      length can be infinitely adjusted within the maximum and minimum
      lengths and set by the simple twisting of the pole sections. The
      Savannah also features an anti-shock system which can be enabled or
      disabled by a twist of the joint where the top section and middle
      section meet. While the joint is turned half a turn or more to
      adjust the length, it needs to turn only slightly to emit an audible
      click that tells the user the anti-shock system is engaged or
      disengaged.

      The anti-shock system consists of a spring loaded section in the
      joint which allows the pole to give slightly when weight is applied,
      therefore saving wear and tear on wrists. The literature that
      accompanied the poles suggested turning the anti-shock system on for
      downhill and off on uphill climbs to allow the poles to provide
      maximum power.

      The bottom two pole sections are marked with numbers to show how far
      extended they are. Additionally, they are marked with a line and
      STOP printed in large letters to prevent removing one section
      completely from the next. The numbers are useful as they prevent
      you from having to go through trial and error each time the poles
      are extended to find the correct length. After many uses the paint
      has worn off in a neat ring around the joints at the spot where I
      lock them. I actually like this since it clearly marks my optimal
      length, and in no way will degrade the performance or longevity of
      the product.

      In their fully collapsed position the poles fit neatly on the
      outside of a backpack, secured by the compression straps. I am 6'
      2" (1.9 M) and I do not fully extend them to use. I am confident
      that someone taller could use them as well. The "twist to lock"
      locking system is extremely effective. Simply turn the joint to
      loosen it, then slide the sections together, or pull them farther
      apart to achieve the desired length. The poles maintain the set
      length for a full day of hiking and climbing. The poles have
      collapsed on me only twice that I remember, both times were on the
      same trip in heavy snow. This would occur as I would jam one of the
      poles into the snow with all my weight on it as I slid in the wet
      snow. I am not ready to completely blame the poles however, as I
      was tightening the joints on icy poles with snow covered gloves and
      may have simply not tightened them sufficiently. My only gripe with
      this system is that it is sometimes difficult to loosen them if you
      have snugged them tightly and your hands are either sweaty or wet
      from rain or snow when you need to loosen them at the end of the
      day. I have actually had to get my hiking companion to hold one end
      while I used both hands on the other to loosen.

      I have used these poles in a huge variety of conditions including
      stifling summer heat and high humidity on flat sandy soil in eastern
      NC, to the rocky soil of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park,
      and on a week long trip in Yellowstone in both boggy and arid
      conditions. I have used them in deep snow, in rain, in dry dusty
      conditions and as support and balance in dozens of stream
      crossings. In all conditions I have found them to be a joy to use.
      They are so light as to be almost unnoticeable yet they are very
      stable. Whether it is helping to drive me up a mountain or avoid a
      face-plant while going down a steep trail in the snow, they perform
      precisely as advertised. I have found the anti-shock system to be
      useful, as it does save wear on the wrists. My only concern with
      this feature is that it is possible to unintentionally loosen the
      adjustment joint on your pole while trying to simply turn this on or
      off.

      The carbide tip provides excellent traction on anything but pavement
      or slick rock, and shows absolutely no wear after lots of use. The
      plastic baskets are useful in rainy or boggy conditions to keep the
      pole from simply sinking out of sight when planted. The plastic
      baskets can come loose under use. When in Yellowstone I had one
      come off on the trail and, had I not been in the lead, it would have
      been gone.

      I have found that the cork grips are quite comfortable. They are
      contoured, much like a bicycle grip so that they fit snugly into
      your palm and provide a comfortable grip for your fingers as well.
      With use the cork grip has become smoother and even more
      comfortable, feeling as if it were custom made to fit the hand. The
      nylon web strap is plenty strong enough and shows absolutely no wear
      after months of use. The straps will absolutely freeze solid and
      stiff on a cold snowy day.

      I was curious if the cork handles would be sufficient to float the
      poles should they fall out of a canoe, or be dropped in a stream. I
      went to a local lake and tested this. In their fully collapsed
      configuration the answer was a resounding no. The pole promptly
      sank out of sight, not to be seen again save the string I had tied
      onto the strap. However, when extended the poles do possess enough
      buoyancy to float, no thanks to the cork grips. I let it float
      around for several minutes and decided that they would float long
      enough to be recovered should they fall overboard.

      I would absolutely recommend the Komperdell Savannahs for general
      backpacking use. The intelligent design and excellent construction
      make these trekking poles an excellent value.

      Likes: Light weight
      Extremely comfortable cork grips
      Length adjustment that provides infinite control and
      stays where it's put.

      Dislikes: Turning anti-shock on/off can loosen joints.
      Straps need to be a little more supple.
      Basket attachment is undependable.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2006
        Hi Tim,

        This looks pretty good. I never did hear back if it could go or not,
        but since we have been working on it offline lets just run with it. I
        have just a few edits (two are old ones). After you make these why
        don't you put a copy in the test folder and let me know here where it
        is.

        Ray

        ***Most of our hiking is done in NC, southern VA, TN, KY, and WV.

        EDIT: you need to spell out the states for our international readers.
        And I know it will bump your word count over. I played with mine a
        long time.

        ***The numbers are useful as they prevent you from having to go
        through

        EDIT: the dreaded "you" again. How about "they prevent me from having
        to go…"

        *** they fit snugly into your palm and provide a comfortable grip for
        your fingers as well.

        EDIT: "your" and "your" again. Try "my" instead.
      • Tim Tessier

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2006
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Tim Tessier
            <timothy_tessier@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ray,
            >
            > I've downloaded the review using the html editor. Bad news is I
            have no idea how to attach pictures... can you help with that? I can
            use the instructions I received previously for converting Word
            documents to html and attach pictures. Let me know what you
            recommend...

            Tim what I recommend is getting a hold of the experts at;

            I am trying to figure out HTML myself. (I know I have a ton of stuff
            but I hold my head a certain way and pray...)

            I am very poor at HTML. I use word, but have been using it since v
            2.0 My girlfriend is trying to clue me in on the real stuff, but I am
            not able help others yet.

            I had to use the group my first two times too.

            Ray
          • Tim Tessier
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2006
              Ray,

              Hi,

              It's uploaded in the test folder. I got the html thing figured out.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
                Hi Tim,

                I looked at your HTML. It looks good, the links work. You have some
                spacing issues that we can live with, but if you want to play with it
                to get rid of some of them it will make your review look better.

                You can upload the review to the following permanent home here when
                you are happy with it;

                Reviews > Trekking Poles > Poles > Komperdell Savannah Anti-Shock
                Poles

                Be sure to highlight the Owner Review button.

                I think this is your second approved review, if so and you have
                submitted a Tester Agreement, for which see:

                20Agreement\%20Docs/

                that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
                the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
                paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

                For further details see

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

                You will also need to join:

                This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

                However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
                Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this
                won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                Congratulations!

                Raymond Estrella