OWNER REVIEW - Hart, Mark - Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover

  • hart_mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
      Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover - Owner Review

      Personal Information:
      Name: Mark Smylie Hart
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" / 1.80m
      Weight: 200 Lb / 91 Kg
      Email: marksmyliehart at gmail dot com
      Location: Urbana, Illinois - USA

      Brief Background: I started hiking and camping at a very early age and
      I continued for years in the Boy Scouts. Recently I've gotten the
      hiking and backpacking bug again and hope to get out more in the near
      future. My equipment is probably a little heavy for my bare
      essentials...a trait I'm sure I'll put behind me once trail experience
      allows me to get more comfortable with the decisions I make when
      packing. That said, I have recently started to carry less (lighter,
      more multipurpose) equipment in order to accomodate more of my
      photographic gear which can get quite heavy and isn't as compressible
      as a fleece mid-layer.

      Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
      Manufacturer: Patagonia
      Material (from manufacturer's website): Shell: 1.3oz ripstop polyester
      (DWR Finish) - Insulation: 2.7oz Polarguard Delta
      Bought: January 2006
      Website: http://www.patagonia.com
      Size: Men's Extra Large
      Weight: 13oz/369g (measured with cooking scale)
      MSRP: $148

      Testing Locations: Hiking through several park forests on photographic
      day trips as well as daily wear around town.

      own stuff-sack. The jacket has elasticized wrist cuffs and an elastic
      drawstring waist which is operable with one hand. The 1/4 length
      zipper has a rubberized toggle (good for gloved gripping) and the neck
      has a small flap to prevent your chin from touching the zipper in the
      cold, and because it is not covered with microfleece it won't trap
      moisture and freeze. It also has a concealed, zippered chest pocket
      to keep small items handy.

      Review: While this jacket is very spartan in terms of bells and
      whistles, it does one thing and does it very well: it keeps you warm
      and it does so without restricting your movement. Photography is at
      times an activity that requires a wide range of motion in the
      shoulders and I have never felt like I was fighting this jacket to get
      my elbows in the proper position to frame my shot. It feels
      thoroughly windproof and when walking across open spaces in January
      and February; I never felt even the slightest chill. I have used this
      jacket during cold-weather photoshoots in very early spring as well as
      late fall (between 25 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit / -3 to +1 Celsius)
      when the wind is blowing at a steady 15mph/24kph and have been quite
      comfortable carrying up to 20 lb/9 kg of camera equipment, although if
      I don't use a sternum strap the nylon shell floating on the insulation
      can make the shoulder straps of a pack want to roam around a bit.

      The Micro Puff is actually more comfortable to me in those conditions
      than wearing a down parka (North Face McMurdo) in which I find myself
      sweating from medium-paced walking. The Micro Puff also feels as if
      it weighs nothing and sheds snow, light rain and mist without any
      trouble, and its flexibility allows for unrestricted movement when
      slinging my backpack on and off, changing lenses, setting up my tent,
      etc. I haven't put this jacket's Deluge DWR finish to the test in a
      full rain and I doubt that I ever would in the field - I would cover
      it with a shell or get under a shelter. That said, its ability to
      shed sprinkles is comforting in that I know I don't have to scramble
      to dig out my waterproof shell immediately - I can continue doing what
      I was doing.

      Although I haven't become sweaty in this jacket, I have yet to truly
      put it through its paces in moderate to high levels of activity. I
      feel the lack of pit-zips would increase the tendency to overheat and
      sweat if I were to use it while building my campsite or doing serious
      hiking with equipment. However, for the weight it costs and the
      amount of comfort it provides in camp and at rest I wouldn't dream of
      leaving it behind on a trip which promises chilly mornings or evenings
      (it weighs roughly 33% less than either of my 300-weight fleece
      pullovers, and is windproof to boot). This is also the first jacket
      with synthetic insulation I've used that hasn't felt odd or lumpy
      after a short time. This jacket is totally compressible and stuffs
      into its own sack which, incidentally, makes a fantastic pillow once
      you're in your sleeping bag - in the stuff sack the jacket is about
      the size of a cylinder of white fuel.

      I was able to find it on sale for 50% off and similar deals can be
      found all over the Internet, but after using it for nearly a year (off
      and on) I would not hesitate to pay more for it if I were ramping up
      for a winter trip. In fact, I have had such good experiences with
      this jacket that I bought the Micro Puff Vest as well which weighs
      7oz/198g (mine has a snap-placket...not a full zip).

      Caveats: This jacket is made from nylon which makes it subject to
      melting if it comes in contact with flame or even a hot ember. When
      wearing this jacket it might make some sense to play it safe and push
      the sleeves up or remove the jacket altogether as you start your
      stove, stoke a wood fire or fan the flames - a spark could potentially
      put a hole in the jacket that the designers didn't intend.

      One final item of note regarding this review: I am typically warmer
      than average. I can feel comfortable wearing a light
      jacket/windbreaker and a 100-weight fleece with a light snowhat when
      others I've camped with felt cold while wearing 600-fill down jackets.
      I feel it is important to mention this because while I feel this
      jacket is quite warm and comfortable, someone else with a different
      body type may be too hot or too cold in the same situation.

      Likes:
      *Very warm - like a sleeping bag with arms
      *Very light
      *Windproof
      *Water Resistant
      *Insulates well even when damp/wet
      *Compressible and insulation is crush-proof (maintains its loft very well)

      Dislikes:
      *No hand pockets at the waist - this keeps the weight down, but would
      be nice to have a pair of slash pockets from time to time. Patagonia
      does make a 'Micro Puff Jacket' that has zippered pockets and a hood
      (MSRP: $188 21oz / 595g)
      *No pit zips - again to keep the weight down I'm sure, but then again
      I don't feel as if the the jacket were designed to be high activity
      jacket...more of a keep warm while in camp / in evil weather jacket.
      *Rubberized zipper makes it impossible to attach a zipper pull which
      makes it difficult to grab with mittens, although gloves seem to work
      fine.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hi Mark,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, it is a very nice job. Your initial
          edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
          you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
          for example of the proper form.

          Ray

          ***Height: 5'11" / 1.80m

          EDIT: need a space between your numbers. (5' 11")

          ***Weight: 200 Lb / 91 Kg

          EDIT: abbreviations not capitalized, lb and kg

          ***Brief Background:

          EDIT: I hate to have to do it, but can you make it a bit briefer? We
          have a 100 word limit on bio's.

          ***I have recently started to carry less (lighter, more multipurpose)
          equipment in order to accomodate more of my photographic gear

          EDIT: accommodate

          ***Weight: 13oz/369g (measured with cooking scale)

          EDIT: you need the manufacturers listed weight along with your
          weight. Which is 12.5 oz in this case. Also you need a space between
          the abbreviations. (12 oz / 369 g)

          ***Testing Locations: Hiking through several park forests on
          photographic
          day trips as well as daily wear around town.

          EDIT: we like to see more information in the Field Data section. Look
          at some other reviews for examples. Locations, seasons, temps,
          weather conditions, elevations all help the reader know how it was
          used and if it would work for them.

          ***I have used this jacket during cold-weather photoshoots

          EDIT: photo-shoots

          ***This jacket is totally compressible and stuffs into its own sack
          which, incidentally, makes a fantastic pillow once you're in your
          sleeping bag

          EDIT: can you replace "once you're in your sleeping bag" with "once I
          am in my sleeping bag"? We don't use you, your, etc. in our reviews
          to avoid projection. We keep them in the first person.

          ***When wearing this jacket it might make some sense to play it safe
          and push
          the sleeves up or remove the jacket altogether as you start your stove

          EDIT: same thing. Can you reword it?

          ***I can feel comfortable wearing a light jacket/windbreaker and a
          100-weight fleece with a light snowhat

          EDIT: snow hat

          Dislikes:
          *No hand pockets at the waist - this keeps the weight down, but would
          be nice to have a pair of slash pockets from time to time.

          ***Patagonia does make a 'Micro Puff Jacket' that has zippered
          pockets and a hood (MSRP: $188 21oz / 595g)

          EDIT: this should be removed, just stick to the item that you are
          reviewing.

          ***I don't feel as if the the jacket were designed to be high activity

          EDIT: remove extra "the"
        • Hart, Mark Smylie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
            Ray - thanks for your edits. I've gone ahead and made them all, but I'm going to hold off on resubmitting this one...I'm going to do a multi-nighter field test in early February in order to put this jacket through a more useful test...not everyone who would read my review is into photography and I thought some campsite experience would help the review.

            Should I just sit on this for a while and resubmit with the edits made or should we scrap this and start from scratch when I get back from my trip?

            Mark Smylie Hart
            t = 217.778.2908
            e = marksmyliehart@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Hart, Mark Smylie"
              <marksmyliehart@...> wrote:

              > Ray - thanks for your edits. I've gone ahead and made them all,
              but I'm going to hold off on resubmitting this one...I'm going to do
              a multi-nighter field test in early February in order to put this
              jacket through a more useful test...not everyone who would read my
              review is into photography and I thought some campsite experience
              would help the review.

              > Should I just sit on this for a while and resubmit with the edits
              made or should we scrap this and start from scratch when I get back
              from my trip?

              Hi Mark,

              I am fine waiting for a month. Just make sure to let me know here
              when you are ready. Jamie may send you a notice from lack of
              activity. I will try to field it if I remember your name. (You would
              be surprised at how many people we can deal with in 5 weeks time.)
              Have fun collecting more data.

              If you want to get a review in before then, you can pull this one and
              submit a new one. Then use the pull-over for your second review as it
              would be mostly complete. Up to you.

              Ray
            • Hart, Mark Smylie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
                Ray - I think I've gotten this one wrapped up. Got a little more data and I think it's a better review now.

                Here's the whole shootin' match again:

                =====

                Patagonia Micropuff Pullover

                Owner Review - Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover

                Personal Information:
                Name: Mark Smylie Hart
                Age: 34
                Gender: Male
                Height: 5' 11" (1.80m)
                Weight: 200 Lb (91 Kg)
                Email: marksmyliehart at gmail dot com
                Location: Urbana, Illinois - USA

                Brief Background: Years after a stint in the Boy Scouts, I've gotten the hiking and backpacking bug again and hope to continue to get out more in the near future. My equipment is probably a little heavy for my bare essentials, but I have recently started to carry less (lighter, more multipurpose) equipment in order to accommodate camera gear.

                Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
                Manufacturer: Patagonia
                Material (from manufacturer's website): Shell: 1.3oz ripstop polyester (DWR Finish) - Insulation: 2.7oz Polarguard Delta
                Bought: January 2006
                Website: http://www.patagonia.com
                Size: Men's Extra Large
                Weight: 12.5 oz (354 g) / 12 oz (340 g) without stuff sack measured with cooking scale
                MSRP: $148

                Testing Locations and Conditions: Multi-day backpacking trips in Central Illinois (Starved Rock), as well as day hikes in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin in wind and wet snow. I have also used this jacket to walk to and from work - 4 Miles (6.4 Km) in each direction while carrying a 16 Lb (7.2 Kg) daypack. Temperatures ranged from 15 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 to +4 Celsius) at an average of 900 ft (274m) above sea level.

                Description: This jacket is available in multiple colors and comes with its own stuff-sack. The jacket has elasticized wrist cuffs and an elastic drawstring waist which is operable with one hand. The 1/4 length zipper has a rubberized toggle (good for gloved gripping) and the neck has a small flap to prevent your chin from touching the zipper in the cold, and because it is not covered with microfleece it won't trap moisture and freeze. It also has a concealed, zippered chest pocket to keep small items handy.

                Review: While this jacket is rather spartan in terms of bells and whistles, it does one thing and does it very well: it keeps you warm and it does so without restricting your movement. Photography is at times an activity that requires a wide range of motion in the shoulders and I have never felt like I was fighting this jacket to get my elbows in the proper position to frame my shot. It feels thoroughly windproof and when walking across open spaces in January and February; I never felt even the slightest chill. I have used this jacket during cold weather photo-shoots in the middle of winter, very early spring as well as late fall between 15 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 to +4 Celsius) when the wind is blowing at a steady 15 mph (24 kph) and have been quite comfortable carrying up to 20 Lb (9 Kg) of camera equipment, although if I don't use a sternum strap the ripstop polyester shell floating on the insulation can make the shoulder straps of my backpack want to roam around a bit. While stationary in camp and at night, the Micro Puff has kept me warm while sitting near a medium fire and continued to keep me warm enough in my sleeping bag (military mummy bag) that I could leave the bag's zipper partially open and comfortably read a book in any position.

                The Micro Puff also feels as if it weighs nothing and sheds snow, light rain and mist without any trouble and its flexibility allows for unrestricted movement when slinging my backpack on and off, changing lenses, setting up my tent, etc. I haven't put this jacket's Deluge DWR finish to the test in a full rain and I doubt that I ever would in the field - I would cover it with a shell or get under a shelter. That said, its ability to shed sprinkles is comforting in that I know I don't have to scramble to dig out my waterproof shell immediately - I can continue doing what I was doing.

                On the cold end of my testing temperature range the Micro Puff is actually more comfortable than wearing a down parka (North Face McMurdo) in which I find myself sweating from medium-paced walking without carrying a load. In the Micro Puff with air temperature of 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius), I did not sweat at all carrying a 16 Lb (7.2 Kg) backpack although I have found that when the temperature is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 Celsius) and above, this jacket is too warm for moderate hiking. I feel the lack of pit-zips inreases my tendency to overheat and sweat. However, for the weight it costs and the amount of comfort it provides in camp and at rest, I wouldn't dream of leaving it behind on a trip which promises chilly mornings or evenings (it weighs roughly 33% less than either of my 300-weight fleece pullovers, and is windproof to boot). This is also the first jacket with synthetic insulation I've used that hasn't felt odd or lumpy after a short time. This jacket is totally compressible and stuffs into its own sack which, incidentally, makes a fantastic pillow once I'm in my sleeping bag - in the stuff sack the jacket is about the size of a large cylinder of propane fuel.

                Caveats: This jacket is made from nylon which makes it prone to melting if it comes in contact with flame or even a hot ember. When wearing this jacket, I play it safe and push the sleeves up or remove the jacket altogether when starting my stove and I am mindful of the wind's direction when I stoke a wood fire or fan the flames - a spark could potentially put a hole in the jacket that the designers didn't intend.

                One final item of note regarding this review: I am typically warmer than average. I can feel comfortable wearing a light jacket/windbreaker and a 100-weight fleece with a light snow hat when others I've camped with felt cold while wearing 600-fill down jackets. I feel it is important to mention this because while I feel this jacket is quite warm and comfortable, someone else with a different body type may be too hot or too cold in the same situation.

                Likes:
                *Very warm - like a sleeping bag with arms
                *Very light
                *Windproof
                *Water Resistant
                *Insulates well even when damp/wet with snow
                *Shorter collar works well to retain heat, but doesn't crowd the neck and chin when wearing a hardshell
                *Compressible and insulation is crush-proof (maintains its loft very well)
                *Easy to layer over clothing in colder conditions

                Dislikes:
                *No hand pockets at the waist. It would be nice to have a pair of slash pockets from time to time.
                *No pit zips - although I don't feel as if the jacket were designed to be high activity jacket...more of a keep warm while in camp / evil weather jacket.
                *Rubberized zipper is quite small and impossible to attach a zipper pull which makes it difficult to grab with mittens, although gloves seem to work fine.

              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
                  Hi Mark,

                  Thank you for your revised Owner Review; it is a very nice job. Your
                  initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

                  EDIT: must be changed

                  When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                  to the subject line.

                  Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
                  you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
                  for example of the proper form.

                  Ray

                  ***Height: 5' 11" (1.80m)

                  EDIT: need a space at 80 m

                  ***Weight: 200 Lb (91 Kg)

                  EDIT: lb and kg
                  (Please change all the capitalized abbreviations, Kg, Lb, Km, etc. to
                  lower case throughout.)

                  ***Material (from manufacturer's website): Shell: 1.3oz ripstop
                  polyester

                  EDIT: need metric conversions for all units. Also need a space at 1.3
                  oz

                  ***Insulation: 2.7oz Polarguard Delta

                  Edit: where did you come up with this number? I can't find it.

                  ***Weight: 12.5 oz (354 g) / 12 oz (340 g) without stuff sack
                  measured with cooking scale

                  EDIT: need to clarify Listed weight, and measured /actual weight.

                  ***MSRP: $148

                  EDIT: "$148.00 (USD)" we need to say what currency it is as there are
                  other dollar currencies.

                  ***average of 900 ft (274m) above sea level.

                  EDIT: 274 m

                  ***and the neck has a small flap to prevent your chin from touching
                  the zipper

                  EDIT: please change "your" to "my". As I said in the first batch of
                  edits the review needs to stay in the first person.

                  ***it keeps you warm and it does so without restricting your
                  movement.

                  EDIT: same thing

                  ***I feel the lack of pit-zips inreases my tendency to overheat and
                  sweat.

                  EDIT: increases

                  ***However, for the weight it costs and the amount of comfort it
                  provides

                  EDIT: do you mean "for what it weighs"? "Costs" is the wrong word
                  here.