OWNER REVIEW- MSR MIOX WATER PURIFIER

  • Joel Foley
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
      MSR MIOX Water Purifier

      Product Info:
      The MSR MIOX Water purifier treats water with Mixed Antioxidants.
      Manufactures site: http://www.msrcorp.com/
      I bought mine in 2005 it was new so I would think is was made the same year

      Brief Bio
      Name: Joel Foley
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5�11�
      Weight: 190
      Email address: JoelF223@...
      City, State, Country: Visalia, Ca, USA
      Date: Bio Created 8th Dec 2006
      Backpacking Background: I currently live in central California. I have been
      backpacking for about ten years, most of it in the Sierras. I consider
      myself an experienced backpacker but not an expert. I try to keep the pack
      light, but don�t always succeed, I�m definitely not an ultra light kind of
      guy. My trips have been anything from weekend trips to an eleven day trip
      across the Sierras. I�ve been on several week long trips and summitted Mt.
      Whitney in California and Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

      Dimensions
      Listed Weight:
      Pen: 3.5 oz./99 g
      Kit: 8 oz./227 g

      Weight of Kit as carried: 6 oz measured on an inexpensive postal scale.
      Length: 7 in
      Width: 1 in

      My Experience
      The MIOX uses an electric charge, coming from a pair or CR123 Batteries, a
      bit of water and some rock salt to create a Mixed Antioxidant solution that
      kills the nasties living in the water you are trying to drink. The �Cell�
      where everything mixes to create this solution is only a little bit bigger
      than a thimble. When you press the activate button, it will bubble a bit,
      it�s fun to watch. You can see the solution mixing when you pour it into a
      water bottle. It will treat up to four liters of water per cycle, depending
      how many times you press the �purify activation button.� There are also
      indicator lights on the unit to let you know how the salt concentration is
      and when the unit is running.
      I�ve used it on three trips in the sierras now. I haven�t gotten sick either
      time so I�m assuming it�s working well. I will be using it more in the
      future and will update with more info if anything changes.
      So far it looks like a sturdy well built little unit it is packaged nicely
      in a mesh bag to keep the salt, extra batteries, instructions and water test
      strips all together. It�s light weight easy and fast, once the initial
      investment is made there shouldn�t be much in the way of expenses like new
      filters or hoses. Just salt and the CR123 batteries. The water tastes great
      to me once it�s been treated no chemical taste and it doesn�t ruin that
      �mountain fresh� taste like boiling water does.

      The only cons I can see is that it doesn�t remove particles or chemicals
      from the water. Chemicals aren�t really an issue in the sierras but you
      would probably want something else if chemicals are an issue where you hike.
      You can�t suck the water out of a mud puddle like you could with a filter,
      so if you are restricted to muddy water you would probably want a filter.
      But for me, so far, the MIOX is great.

      In Summary
      Thing I like
      1. Light weight
      2. Small
      3. Fast
      4. No pumping
      5. There�s definitely some cool factor to it

      Things I don�t like
      1. doesn�t filter chemicals
      2. doesn�t filter particles
      3. the batteries are a little more expensive than AAs

      Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
      by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
          Hello Joel,

          I started to edit your submission, but there are some substantial
          problems with the review. Big chunks of information, including a
          description of the physical appearance and functionality of the Miox,
          as well as the field conditions under which you have used it, are
          lacking. Conversions are few and far between. We do have a certain
          form that we expect to see in reviews--for this see the information at

          For a unit that's still quite novel, a good physical description is
          needed. There are various other defects to the review, in addition.

          I would like to suggest that you seek assistance from the BGT Mentor
          Program before proceeding further, and resubmit this review after
          working on it with a mentor. Please contact Jennifer Pope at

          jennifer.pope@...

          for mentor assistance. I hope this is not too discouraging, but in its
          present form this OR is too far from the mark for simple editing to
          correct.

          Best wishes,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
            Joel -- I have a feeling I gave you the wrong e-mail for Jen, though I
            can't see it because of Yahoo's masking protocol. It is

            jenniferDOTpopeATgmailDOTcom

            Substitute the appropriate symbols for the capitalized sections.

            Ted.