Todd Morken Please Read - Re: Owner Review - Arc'Teryx Arro 22 Daypack

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2006
        Hello Todd,

        Pack reviews are not that straightforward, and I feel you have done a
        good job on this. The edits I have made, while necessary, are
        picayune. Please do try to remember to keep in the first person.
        Having said that, even experienced testers goof on this one now and again!

        If you would post HTML to the test folder after making these changes,
        I'll be able to give you approval for upload, once I have quickly
        re-edited the piece. I feel that you should provide at least one image
        with this review, more if desired.

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        > Arc'Teryx Arro 22 Daypack
        > BY Todd O. Morken
        > November 29, 2006
        >
        > TESTER INFORMATION
        >
        > NAME: Todd O. Morken
        > EMAIL: mantraboy1@...
        > AGE: 32
        > LOCATION: Upper Midwest
        > GENDER: M
        > HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
        > WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)
        >
        > I have been backpacking for 15 years. I take 3-4 trips each year that
        > are a week or longer in duration, as well as several weekend trips. I
        > usually end up with a heavy daypack weighing 20 lb (9.1 kg) as I like
        > to be over-prepared, but I'm learning to lighten my load through
        > better gear selection. My hiking trips range from the mountains to
        > the desert and flat lands. In addition, being from North Dakota I
        > have a lot of experience with hiking and camping in snow and cold
        > temperatures.
        >

        > Product Information:
        >
        > Manufacturer: Arc'Teryx
        > Year of Manufacture: 2005 (Still currently produced)
        > Listed weight: 2 lb 5 oz (1100 g)
        > Actual tested weight: 2 lb 6 oz (1177 g)
        > Size: One Size
        > Volume: 1340 cu in (22 L)
        > Materials: HDPE framesheet, 1680D Ballistic Nylon, Armourlite, Hypalon
        > Warranty: Lifetime
        > MSRP: $130.00 US
        >

        > The body of the pack is made from 1680D Ballistic Nylon, the front
        > Kangaroo pocket is Armourlite, a very tough smooth fabric. The
        > attachment points are made from or reinforced with Hypalon. The back
        > of the pack has a thermoformed padded back panel, and a semi-rigid
        > HDPE framesheet. The shoulder straps have load adjusters and the
        > sternum strap is adjustable for height. Both are features you don't
        > find on many packs of this size but are very useful for fit and pack
        > stability. The waist strap is 1 in

        ### EDIT: conversion missing

        wide, non padded, and user
        > removable. This is also a nice feature since I've found 1"

        ### EDIT: conversion needed

        wide non
        > padded

        ### EDIT: non-padded

        waist straps to be of little use on daypacks of this size and
        > usually just get in the way. There is a heavy duty carry handle on
        > the top of the pack that is very convenient for when you

        ### EDIT: I

        just want to
        > grab the pack and go. The pack has a covered opening on the top that
        > allows the hydration bladder hose to exit the pack and a clip to
        > attach it to the shoulder strap.
        >
        > The front of the pack has two mesh water bottle pockets, one of which
        > has a Velcro closure, and the other elastic. They are not as deep as
        > I would like, but I find this to be the case on most packs. It will
        > hold a Nalgene bottle, but not very securely due to the shallow nature
        > of the pocket. There is one Hypalon loop on the front of the pack
        > that can hold a carabineer.

        ### EDIT: carabiner

        The large vertical zippered kangaroo
        > pocket on the front of the pack has drainage holes at the bottom.
        > It's perfect for either storing wet items, or just small frequently
        > used items you

        ### EDIT: I

        don't want to have to dig into the main pack for.

        > Inside the pack is a mesh sleeve for up to a 100 oz (3 L) hydration
        > bladder. There is an interior zipper at the top which allows access
        > to the HDPE framesheet if you

        ### EDIT I

        need or desire to remove it. Other than
        > that there are no other pockets on the inside or outside of the pack.
        > The zippers are heavy duty water resistant YKK zippers. The shoulder
        > straps are nicely padded but not too bulky and have attachment points
        > that can easily accept a small accessory pouch to hold a GPS, cell
        > phone, etc. The bottom of the pack is not flat, the bottom angles up
        > from the back of the pack and then angles back to the top of the pack.
        > This means the pack does not sit up by itself so when it's not on the
        > user it has to be laid on its side, or leaned up against something to
        > stay upright. This angular design creates an aerodynamic sleek look
        > to the pack, but at the expense of some capacity.
        >

        > Field Use:
        >
        > I have used this pack on many short local and weekend hikes. I've
        > used it on the bike as a commuter pack, and even just around town and
        > for school. The pack has performed very well in all these uses. It
        > is comfortable, and is just the right size for an urban commuter pack.
        > It rides very well on the bike, but the top of the pack sits pretty
        > high and tends to contact the back of my helmet on rough rides.
        >

        > It performed on both trips without any problems. The Arro 22 pack is
        > the perfect size to pack a lot of water, and still get the bare
        > essentials such as food, first aid, survival gear, and raingear for a
        > day hike. The pack was never uncomfortable, and the semi rigid
        > framesheet is a great feature. Without a framesheet many daypacks do
        > not sit flat on your

        ### EDIT: "flat on my back" or "flat on the back"

        back because the hydration bladder rounds out the
        > back of the pack. This makes for an uncomfortable pack that does not
        > ride on your

        ### EDIT: my

        back well. The Arro 22 does not suffer from this
        > problem

        ### EDIT: and

        it rode securely over rough and smooth terrain. I never used
        > the waist belt as with a pack of this size I've never seen much use
        > for one. The shoulder straps, load straps, and adjustable sternum
        > strap make for a very adjustable and comfortable fit. The pack
        > proved to be very durable and took everything thrown at it. I would
        > say the average weight of the pack during my use was probably 13 lb
        > (5.5 kg) with a max of somewhere in the 18 lb (7.3 kg) range. It
        > handled these loads comfortably, and securely.
        >
        > As for improvements I would like to see the water bottle pockets made
        > larger, or some type of bottle securing strap built in. I would also
        > like to see a daisy chain added to the front of the pack. I've found
        > them very valuable for attaching carabineers

        ### EDIT: carabiners

        or clipping small items
        > to. A wider padded hip belt would be a nice addition since it is
        > removable and would be much more useful than the thin unpadded strap
        > they provide currently. None of these are big issues in my book and
        > it is still by far my most used pack in this size range.

      • Todd
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2006
          Ted,

          Thanks for the edits, it's going to take awhile to get used to the
          first person thing, but I will get it yet. I have edited and uploaded
          to html at:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20ArcTeryx%20Arro%2022%20Daypack/

          I did not add any images, it's not that I don't think they are
          important as I do, but right now I'm chest deep in moving, finals
          week and graduation/grad school prep, so my pack is already at home so
          it will be a couple weeks before I can get an image up. I can either
          wait with my final edit and upload to the review section or I can add
          it later, if that's possible as well.

          Thanks again!

          Todd
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2006
            Hello Todd,

            Your folder is at

            http://tinyurl.com/vt2xq

            Do add photos when you can. E-mail when you do and I will make sure
            the permissions on the folder are still correctly set.

            One small...

            ### EDIT: Please delete

            (Still currently produced)

            The problem is that this will no longer be correct at some point.

            When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
            marked Owner Review.

            support group,

            BGTFileUploadHelp @

            As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
            Agreement, for which see:

            that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
            the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
            paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

            For further details see

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

            You will also need to join:

            This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

            However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
            Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
            and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

            Congratulations!

            Ted

            BGT OR EDITOR

            > Ted,
            >
            > Thanks for the edits, it's going to take awhile to get used to the
            > first person thing, but I will get it yet. I have edited and uploaded
            > to html at:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20ArcTeryx%20Arro%2022%20Daypack/

            > I did not add any images, it's not that I don't think they are
            > important as I do, but right now I'm chest deep in moving, finals
            > week and graduation/grad school prep, so my pack is already at home so
            > it will be a couple weeks before I can get an image up. I can either
            > wait with my final edit and upload to the review section or I can add
            > it later, if that's possible as well.
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > Todd

          • Todd
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
              Ted,

              Just wanted to let you know that I have now added photos to my review
              and I deleted my old one and uploaded the new version with images.

              Thanks, take care

              Todd