REPOST: REI Ultralight Jacket by Samson Phan

  • Samson Phan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 2:49 PM
      REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket

      Owner Review

      Samson Phan

      Tester Bio

      Name: Samson Phan

      Age: 26

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5' 10" (1.52 m)

      Weight: 145 lbs (66 kg)

      Email address: Sphan@...

      City: Stanford

      State: California

      Country: USA

      Date: September 13, 2006

      Backpacking background

      I started hiking when I was in high school in the foothills east of
      Fresno, CA over 6 years ago. Afterwards, I helped guide trips with
      a student group at my school, usually on weekends. These consisted
      of taking other students to the outdoors and making sure they had a
      good time(Read: lots of equipment). I've had a number of longer
      excursions, but never for more than a week. My longer trips are
      usually now done overseas (Australia, Peru). Most were in the Sierra
      Nevada. I'm the type of hiker who brings just about everything with
      me, probably resulting from having access to so much gear. I now do
      a lot of car camping, taking hikes from base camp (my car). I've
      also expanded my repertoire to include kayaking and rock climbing,
      so finding gear that will serve all sports is a high priority for

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: REI

      Year of Manufacture: 2005

      Weight as delivered: 14 oz. (397 grams)

      The REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket is a light unlined waterproof shell
      designed for light inclement weather. The following description was
      taken from the REI website:

      * Waterproof, breathable 2.5-layer REI Elements®/nylon with
      microporous polyurethane coating is seam-sealed for complete
      * Inside of fabric features unique topo-map design; Copyright
      (c) 2002 REI, all rights reserved
      * Fully adjustable, zip-off brimmed hood stores inside collar;
      when you zip off the hood the neck flap covers the zipper for a
      clean look
      * Microfleece-lined collar provides added comfort
      * Underarm zippers allow adjustable ventilation
      * Chest pocket with water-resistant zipper holds essentials
      * Two zip handwarmer pockets give added storage space
      * Elastic-drawcord hem and elastic cuffs with adjustment tabs
      help seal out the elements
      * Double-layer front placket keeps wet weather and wind from
      penetrating; VELCRO® brand closures secure placket
      * Includes a 4 x 9 inch stuff sack

      Field Information

      I have used this jacket for just over a year under typical
      conditions associated with snowshoeing, hiking, backpacking and as
      streetwear. I usually hike in mountainous terrain and high elevation
      6000 - 8000 ft (1800 – 2400 m) ASL. The Sierra Nevada can range from
      the upper 90s F (30 C) to below freezing. I bought this jacket
      because my previous, Goretex based jacket had been washed so many
      times and lost its coating, it seemed to absorb more water than
      shed. I wanted something that was light weight and could take more
      than a few washes. I bought the "Bog" (green) version, though it
      comes in black, grey, orange, and blue as well. I wear a small North
      Face Denali fleece, but I bought a large jacket. That way, I can
      layer without being too constrained.

      If I'm just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
      plastic material might not be the best feeling fabric against my
      skin. It feels like one of those old yellow rain jackets.
      Especially during heavy exertion, the fabric will tend to stick.
      For those who layer and wear long sleeves, this is probably a moot

      I am a great fan of its watershedding abilities. I have been
      caught in hard downpours before and this jacket held up very nicely.
      A nice little touch is having the ends of the waist drawstrings go
      into the handwarming pockets, which are zippered to prevent anything
      falling out. I don't have a bunch of loose cords that might snag
      onto things, especially when I pull the waist cord tight. Each
      zipper has an extra long and stiff tab that makes opening and
      closing easier when wearing gloves.

      The jacket goes down to my hip joint and is the same length all
      around. When I bend over, it doesn't ride above my waist and expose
      flesh, which is a good thing, especially for the other campers. I
      know some jackets are longer in the back for this reason, but it
      isn't necessary for this jacket, unless the hem drawstring is pulled
      too tight.

      The hood can be completely detached or tucked into the collar. The
      stiff brim prevents rain from dripping directly onto my face. It
      comes with a drawstring in the back that pulls it away from your
      face. The cord is hidden by a loop where goggles can run through so
      that they aren't lost.

      The bulk of gloves worn during snowshoeing greatly adds to the
      cuff diameter needed. Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable Velcro
      straps. A nice little touch is that the straps are stiffened,
      making it easier to grab when my hands are gloved. I would say my
      arm length is slightly longer than average, which is great for rock
      climbing, but not so much when trying to find clothing that covers
      your wrists. Either it's because I bought a large or REI makes
      their sleeves longer than usual, but I found them to be ample. The
      converse problem, the sleeves being too long and covering your
      hands, is avoided because of the elastic in the sleeves.

      One of the improvements that could be made is integrating the small
      stuff pouch. I've already lost mine many times; I doubt I am the
      exception. Small circles of Velcro are used to keep the zipper flap
      in front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky to just about
      everything except for the microfleece, which is a good thing! A
      continuous line of Velcro would probably do a better job at keeping
      water and wind out.. Having waterproof zippers like the one on the
      front pouch for all the zippers would be icing on the cake. I have
      mixed feelings about having microfleece on the collar. While it
      feels more comfortable than having some plasticized fabric next to
      the skin, it is much less comfortable when wet and tends to stay wet
      longer than other collars.

      Overall, I am very happy with the performance of this jacket. In
      addition to surviving downpours and high winds, the REI Ultra Light
      Jacket hasn't lost its water shedding abilities after numerous
      washes. If only I knew where I put the stuff sack…