The Packa OR - Marie-Noëlle

  • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
      In answer to the monthly call for rain gear OR, here is my Packa
      review. It lacks the actual weight and some pics, but I will add them
      ASAP when the moving company delivers all my stuff next week.
      Hope this won't be too inconvenient for the editing.
      HTML is in the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/yl63oh

      Thanks,
      Marie-Noëlle

      The Packa
      Owner Review
      November 27, 2006
      Reviewer information
      Name Marie-Noëlle Augendre I started backpacking nine years ago,
      day-hiking in Ile-de-France all year round, and doing several one or
      two-week trips in more mountainous regions (Corsica, Pyrénées,
      Cévennes, Lubéron, etc.) each year.

      In the past three years, I have gradually lightened my pack load as I
      changed to a hammock, an alcohol stove, a light pack and running shoes
      instead of boots.

      After living the most part of this year in Quebec (Canada), I'm just
      back to France and currently settling right in the middle of the
      Cévennes, an area that is positively criss-crossed with hiking trails.
      Age 49
      Gender Female
      Height about 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email address augendre.bgt@...
      City,
      Country St André de Valborgne (Gard),
      France

      Product information
      Manufacturer Edward "Cedar Tree" Hinnant
      URL http://www.thepacka.com/
      MSRP ?
      Size S/M
      Weight listed : 11 oz
      actual : ?

      Product description
      The Packa is a silnylon rain jacket, that incorporates a pack cover
      ... unless it is a pack cover with a hood, two sleeves and a front zip
      provided for the protection the backpacker.

      The raglan sleeves are fitted with 1" (2.5 cm) wide elastic and
      velcro-type cuffs, and underarms zips for ventilation. A rectangular
      piece of plastic provides some rigidity to the hood peak, and a
      shockcord with two plastic toggles allows to adjust the closure of the
      hood. The Packa body has a front zip without flap and a bottom
      shockcord with a plastic toggle on each side; the back is longer than
      the front due to an additional a 7" (18 cm) flap under the shockcord.
      The big pocket in the back that makes the pack cover is surrounded
      with an adjusting shockcord and a toggle on the top. The right front
      panel features a large no-see-um lined pocket, closed by a zip with
      rain flap: it is 10.2" (26 cm) high and the same width as the panel,
      and acts as a stuffing pouch for the whole Packa.

      Conditions of use
      I have used the Packa extensively during a ten-day backpacking trip I
      did at the end of October 2004 in the Cévennes (south-east of Massif
      Central, France). The conditions encountered were horrendous almost
      all the time, with heavy showers all day long, strong winds and thick
      fog. Elevations varied between 820 ft (250 m) and 3940 ft (1200 m),
      but the visibility was so poor I missed most of the scenery.
      Temperatures were in the 41°F-54°F (5°C-12°C) range during the day; I
      had nothing to record them at night, but there was a hail shower one
      night - the hailstones were still under the edge of my tarp the
      following morning - and I remember I wore all my clothes, including
      the Packa and my rain pants, two nights in a row.

      I have also used the Packa in many day-hikes in Ile-de-France (a 50 mi
      / 80 km radius area around Paris, France) all the year round.
      Elevations there are mainly between sea-level and 590 ft (180 m).
      Weather conditions were mainly moderate (I tend to avoid hiking when
      steady and/or strong rain is forecasted for the day) so the Packa has
      acted more often as a pack-cover than as a rain-jacket.

      Findings
      So easy to put on
      Putting on a rain poncho has always been seems to be a hard job,
      especially I usually backpack solo and am rather short, so my pack is
      often as high as my head; and if it is windy, it becomes a real
      nightmare. No such problem with the Packa, as I usually use it as a
      pack cover as soon as I expect some rain in the day. All the extra
      parts - front and bottom panels, sleeves and hood - are simply tucked
      up under the cover, against the pack, and are ready to use when I feel
      like it. It is quite simple to pull them out without taking the pack
      off: I slide one hand behind the nape of my neck to catch the hood
      from under the cover, and then follow all along the edges till I have
      pulled the entire jacket from under the pack cover; the Packa is still
      covering the pack and ready to protect myself too.

      Usable in many configurations
      Another advantage of the Packa is its versatility: in light rains, I
      have often used it simply put on the head and shoulders, wide opened
      and without putting the sleeves on. And when the rain stops, there is
      no need to pack the whole thing: I just push behind my head and
      shoulders everything that seems to be in the way, and leave it as it
      is till the next time I need it; however, if it is too windy or the
      trail is bushy, I'd rather take some time to fold everything back
      under the pack cover. When the rain I becomes more consistent, it is
      easy to simply slide the arms in the sleeves and zip up the front
      panels to get additional protection.

      The details I did appreciate
      I used a lot the zips under the arms, to adjust the ventilation when
      the rain was too strong to open the front zip; but the big front
      pocket was not so convenient, as I got wet from there when I left it
      opened. I also like the adjustable hood and its little peak; it might
      have been a bit limp had I worn it by itself, but it was just fine as
      I wore a cap underneath. And the back bottom flap was great to protect
      my bottom and upper legs.

      And those that drove me crazy
      This garment has a lot of seams, and in very exposed areas (shoulders,
      collar, upper arms), but none of them are seam-sealed. So on the
      second day of my trip (and the first of "real" rain), I got completely
      wet, beginning from the shoulders and upper arms then spreading all
      over my garments till I had not a square inch dry after a couple of
      hours; unfortunately there were still several days to go with a
      similar weather... I did seam-seal almost all the seams once back
      home, but I haven't had the opportunity to encounter such conditions
      since then.

      As previously said, the under-arms zips are handy; but why do they
      operate in opposite ways: one opens from forearm to mid-chest, but the
      other one closes that way! I was forever looking for the zips tabs in
      the wrong place.

      The last irritating thing is the hood shockcord: the toggles on both
      sides are strung along a cord loop, but there is nothing to prevent
      the toggle from sliding away from the cord, and the cord itself is not
      long enough for a knot. Of course, the whole thing is against the neck
      and out of sight, and when operated with wet and cold fingers, the
      toggle sometimes go further than expected ...

      Conclusion
      The Packa is very cleverly designed, but its making is somewhat
      lacking on details such as the under arms zips and the collar
      shockcord. Above all, I find it useless if the seams are not properly
      sealed either by the manufacturer or by its user.

      --
      Marie-Noëlle
      Wilderness Addict
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006

        > As previously said, the under-arms zips are handy; but why do they
        > operate in opposite ways: one opens from forearm to mid-chest, but
        the
        > other one closes that way! I was forever looking for the zips tabs in
        > the wrong place.

        Hi Marie-Noëlle,

        Both zippers of my Packa operate same ways. Yours might be defective ?

        Michel Auger
        Montréal, QC
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006

          reviews before submission.

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
            Hi Marie-Noëlle

            Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
            will take the following format;

            EDIT: must be changed

            I will post the edits now. When you get your stuff and update with
            the weights let me know here and I will check it out.

            Ray

            ***Height about 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)

            Edit: why the "about"?

            ***MSRP ?

            EDIT: according to the web site it is $110.00

            ***The raglan sleeves are fitted with 1" (2.5 cm) wide elastic and
            velcro-type cuffs, and underarms zips for ventilation.

            EDIT: Velcro needs to be capitalized as it is a trademarked name.

            ***Putting on a rain poncho has always been seems to be a hard job,
            especially I usually backpack solo and am rather short,

            EDIT: especially "as" I usually backpack solo

            ***I used a lot the zips under the arms, to adjust the ventilation
            when

            Edit may read better as "I used the zips under the arms a lot to
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
              Hi Ray,

              I have taken care of the edits, and uploaded the updated version in
              the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/yl63oh
              Unfortunately, I haven't had time to take some pics and will be OOP
              most of the week. I'll take care of that ASAP, probably next week-end.

              Below a couple of answers to your mail.
              Thanks for helping,
              Marie-Noëlle

              2006/12/7, rayestrella1 <rayestrella@...>:
              > ***Height about 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
              >
              > Edit: why the "about"?

              ### 1.57 m is 5 ft and 1.8 in; how am I about to say that?

              > ***MSRP ?
              >
              > EDIT: according to the web site it is $110.00

              ### Sorry about that; I looked almost everywhere but didn't think to
              click on the Custom Packa link to get the price of the regular one!

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
                Hi Marie-Noëlle,

                You can just let me know when the final version is ready.

                > ### 1.57 m is 5 ft and 1.8 in; how am I about to say that?

                I would just say 5' 2", but you can leave it if you want to. It just
                hit me funny.

                > ### Sorry about that; I looked almost everywhere but didn't think to
                > click on the Custom Packa link to get the price of the regular one!

                No problem, it was a kinda busy site.

                Ray
              • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
                  2006/12/10, rayestrella1 <rayestrella@...>:

                  > Hi Marie-Noëlle,
                  >
                  > You can just let me know when the final version is ready.

                  Will do.
                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2006
                    Hi Ray,

                    Sorry to have been so long, I kept forgetting to take these pictures.
                    Here it is at last, at
                    http://tinyurl.com/yl63oh

                    Thanks,
                    Marie-Noëlle

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
                      Hi Marie-Noëlle,

                      The pics look good. You can put the review here;

                      Reviews > Rain Gear > Jackets and Pants > The Packa > Owner Reviews

                      Or use this;

                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%
                      20Pants/The%20Packa/Owner%20Reviews/

                      Thanks,