OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

  • raefrog47
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 24, 2006
      Name: Rae Goodman
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'2" (157 cm)
      Weight: 155 lbs. (71kg)
      Email: raefrog at hotmail
      Location: Current – San Francisco. Recent (last 4 yrs): Chicago;
      Davis, CA; Los Angeles area; Washington, DC; Australia; Costa Rica
      Date: November 12, 2006

      Outdoors Background:
      I fell in love with backpacking and all things outdoors in high
      school. In college, I directed the 600+ member outdoors club and the
      outdoor orientation program. Since college, I've directed a variety of
      outdoors programs for high school and college students I've backpacked
      in New England and California, and camped, hiked, done overnight
      bicycling treks, and otherwise explored various areas, mostly in the
      US southwest and in Australia. My experienced is mixed between
      personal trips with 1-3 friends and leading groups of 4-20 for
      informal or formal outdoors education. I'm reviewing here based on
      personal experience, but I also have a lot of secondary experience
      with gear through gear purchase and maintenance for the trips I've
      directed and led. So far, I'm a 3-season hiker, tending towards easier
      hikes since I'm often taking first-timers with me. Right now I'm
      learning about ultralight gear, in preparation for hiking the AT in 07
      or 08.

      Product Information
      Product: Light My Fire Spork
      Year: 2006
      Website: http://www.light-my-fire.se/engines/page___386.aspx
      Weight (listed): 0.2 oz (5.7g)
      Size: 6.6" x 1.5" (16.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
      Price: $3
      Material: Polycarbonate
      Color: Green

      This is listed as a "spork" but it's not really. It's a two-ended
      utensil, with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. The fork has
      a serrated "knife" edge on one side.

      I bought this the second I saw it in REI. I don't like sporks, since
      they aren't very good as either a spoon or a fork, but I also don't
      want to carry two separate utensils made of metal or heavier plastic.
      I've used this at home and out camping around CA, and I love it. It's
      practically weightless, durable, functional.

      Since it's two-ended, you're holding onto the fork while using the
      spoon, or vice versa. So, you have to decide which utensil you want to
      use for a particular meal, or keep cleaning it between using each
      side, or just get your hands dirty. I don't mind just using one
      utensil per meal, especially since camping meals are usually pretty
      simple anyway.

      The "spork" is durable and stiff enough to work well as a fork, unlike
      cheap plastic utensils. I haven't found the "cutting" edge of the fork
      to be very useful. It's not sharp, so about all it might be good for
      would be cutting cheese or similar, but the non-blade edge of the fork
      would probably work just as well for that. Also, I always carry a
      knife when camping anyway, so it's not like I need the "blade." The
      serrated edge was rough on the edge of the mouth when eating the first
      few times, but it's not bad, unless you've already got a sore or
      chapped lips. I might try filing the edge down but I haven't bothered
      yet.

      The spoon end is large enough that eating soup is feasible, again
      unlike a lot of normal sized spoons.

      It claims to be heat resistant, which so far I've found to be mostly
      true. I've run it through the dishwasher and used it on hot pots
      without any trouble, and it's mostly been fine. It does have a small
      scorch mark on the back of the spoon and I'm not sure how it got
      there. But, it doesn't matter much and I keep using it.

      It's also nice that it's plastic and can be used on non-stick
      cookware. I usually use metal and therefore can't use nonstick. It's
      long enough to use in deep containers, especially when using the fork
      end – holding onto the spoon end makes it easy to reach further down.

      Overall, I'd definitely recommend this "spork." It's a great
      alternative to lousy sporks.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
        Hello and welcome to Backpackgeartest.org.

        While we appreciate you posting two Owner Reviews (as per
        the "Requirements to Become a Tester") we find it is more
        advantageous and time saving to only run one through our Owner
        Review Queue at a time. Your second OR has been added to the ON HOLD
        section of the Edit Queue. Once an Editor has picked up your first
        OR and worked with you to complete the editing process you are
        welcome to revise and resubmit your second. This way we can work
        with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits which you can
        incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews before
        submission.

        Additionally, if you feel like you would like some assistance with
        this process, we do have a mentor program. If you are interested,
        please send a message to Jennifer P, the mentor coordinator, at
        (jennifer.pope@...) with MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line
        and she'll get you squared away.

        Please also keep in mind all BGT operations are run by volunteers so
        please be patient when posting to the list and regarding the editing
        process.

        Again welcome to the group.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Manager
        jdeben@...
      • raefrog47
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 27, 2006
          Name: Rae Goodman
          Age: 24
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5' 2" (157 cm)
          Weight: 155 lbs (71 kg)
          Email: raefrog at hotmail dot com
          Location: San Francisco

          Outdoors Background:
          I've been hiking since high school, starting on pieces of the AT. I've
          hiked, camped, and done overnight bicycling treks, primarily in and
          around California. I work in outdoors programming for ages 13-26, and
          have led trips for 1-50 people. So far, I'm a 3-season hiker, doing
          mostly easier hikes, since I'm often taking first-timers with me. I've
          never kept much track of my gear weight, since I've always been using
          borrowed gear and often carrying group gear. I'm currently planning an
          '08 AT thru-hike, and I'm trying out ultralight gear, researching and
          buying an item at a time.

          Product Information
          Product: Light My Fire Spork
          Year: 2006
          Website: http://www.light-my-fire.se/
          Weight (listed): 0.2 oz (5.7 g)
          Size: 6.6 x 1.5 inches (16.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
          Price: US $3
          Material: Polycarbonate
          Color: Green

          This is listed as a "spork" but it's not really. It's a two-ended
          utensil, with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. The fork has
          a serrated "knife" edge on one side.

          I bought this the second I saw it in REI. I don't like sporks, since
          they aren't very good as either a spoon or a fork, but I also don't
          want to carry two separate utensils made of metal or heavier plastic.
          I've used this at home and out camping around CA, and I love it. It's
          practically weightless, durable, functional.

          Since it's two-ended, I'm holding onto the fork while using the spoon,
          or vice versa. So, I have to decide which utensil I want to use for a
          particular meal, or keep cleaning it between using each side, or just
          get my hands dirty. I don't mind just using one utensil per meal,
          especially since camping meals are usually pretty simple anyway.

          The polycarbonate is strong and slightly flexible. The tines of the
          fork are long enough to be useful in stabbing items or eating pasta,
          unlike sporks. And, unlike disposable plastic utensils, the tines
          don't break off or bend out of the way when I'm trying to stab
          something a bit tougher.

          I haven't found the serrated plastic "cutting" edge of the fork to be
          very useful. It's not sharp, so about all it might be good for would
          be cutting cheddar cheese or similar, but the non-blade edge of the
          fork works just as well for that. Neither the serrated or the smooth
          side of the fork would cut a tougher item like meat or hard cheese.
          Also, I always carry a knife when camping anyway, so it's not like I
          need the "blade." The serrated edge was rough on the edge of the mouth
          when eating the first few times, but I got used to opening a bit wider
          to avoid scaping the side of my mouth. It's not bad, unless I've
          already got a sore or chapped lips.

          The spoon end is large and deep enough that eating soup is easy. The
          bowl/ curve of the spoon is deeper than most camping spoons I've seen.
          And, unlike sporks, the depth of the bowl that's useable for soup
          isn't reduced by having notches for the spork "tines" cut into it.

          It claims to be heat resistant, which so far I've found to be mostly
          true. I've run it through the dishwasher and used it on hot pots
          without any trouble, and it's mostly been fine. It does have a small
          scorch mark on the back of the spoon and I'm not sure how it got
          there. (I suspect one of my housemates used it and left it leaning
          against the edge of a pot while something was cooking). But, it
          doesn't matter much and I keep using it.

          It's also nice that it's plastic and can be used on non-stick
          cookware. I usually use metal silverware and therefore can't use
          nonstick cookware without getting little bits of Teflon in my food.
          This spork is long enough to use in fairly deep containers, especially
          when using the fork end – holding onto the spoon end makes it easy to
          reach further down. I eat out of a ¾ L gladware plastic screw-top
          container that's about 3.5" in diameter by 6" deep. However, this
          isn't a "long handled spoon" like the Firelite 8.4" titanium spoon.

          Overall, I'd definitely recommend this "spork." It's function,
          lightweight, and durable. It's a great alternative to lousy sporks.
          The price is excellent, too.
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2006
            Hi Rae,

            Is this a revised version of your original posting sent here Nov 24th?

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "raefrog47" <raefrog@...>
            wrote:

            > Name: Rae Goodman
            > Age: 24
            > Gender: Female
            > Height: 5' 2" (157 cm)
            > Weight: 155 lbs (71 kg)
            > Email: raefrog at hotmail dot com
            > Location: San Francisco
          • raefrog47
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
              Yes.
              -Rae

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rae,
              >
              > Is this a revised version of your original posting sent here Nov 24th?
              >

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "raefrog47" <raefrog@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Name: Rae Goodman
              > > Age: 24
              > > Gender: Female
              > > Height: 5' 2" (157 cm)
              > > Weight: 155 lbs (71 kg)
              > > Email: raefrog at hotmail dot com
              > > Location: San Francisco

            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                At 04:13 PM 4/01/2007, you wrote:
                >Yes.
                >-Rae

                Dear Rae

                Can you please in future, when re-submitting an Owner Review please
                put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review, if you
                take this route or make any changes to your review BEFORE the review
                has been taken by an Edit Moderator and REPOST if you are reposting
                an edited copy of your Owner Review.

                This makes it much easier for the Editors and Jamie who has to manage
                the process.

                Thanks
                Andrew Priest
                Senior Edit Moderator
              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 21, 2007
                  Hi Rae,

                  Seeing as this is your second review I could not understand why I was
                  seeing so many edits with the basics of the review. Upon pulling your
                  first review I saw that Ted had all the same edits that I was getting
                  ready to write up. It seems you wrote two reviews at the same time.
                  (The date is a pretty good give-away.) Could you please put all of the
                  work that Ted did and the experience you gained to good use and rewrite
                  this to reflect it please?

                  Repost here when it is fixed.

                  Thank you,

                  Raymond Estrella
                • raefrog47
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2 8:54 AM
                    Hello,
                    Are you looking at the first version, which I initially posted on Nov.
                    24th, or the new version, which I reposted on Dec 27th, where I made
                    the basic format edits, based on the comments Ted made on my first
                    review? If you are looking at the repost, please let me know exactly
                    where the problems are, as I thought I'd caught all of the basic
                    format changes.
                    In case you don't have it, here's a copy of the revised version, which
                    I initially (re)posted on Dec 27th.
                    -Rae

                    <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rae,
                    >
                    > Seeing as this is your second review I could not understand why I was
                    > seeing so many edits with the basics of the review. Upon pulling your
                    > first review I saw that Ted had all the same edits that I was getting
                    > ready to write up. It seems you wrote two reviews at the same time.
                    > (The date is a pretty good give-away.) Could you please put all of the
                    > work that Ted did and the experience you gained to good use and rewrite
                    > this to reflect it please?
                    >
                    > Repost here when it is fixed.
                    >
                    > Thank you,
                    >
                    > Raymond Estrella

                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 10 1:06 PM
                      Hello Rae,

                      Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
                      will take the following format;

                      EDIT: must be changed

                      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                      to the subject line.

                      Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
                      you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
                      for example of the proper form.

                      Ray

                      EDIT: the date is needed.

                      ***Location: San Francisco

                      EDIT: we need the state and country too.

                      ***Product Information

                      EDIT: you need a "Manufacturer: name" spot in this

                      ***Weight (listed): 0.2 oz (5.7 g)

                      EDIT: the weight they list is 9 g and you need to weigh it yourself
                      and state the actual weight too.

                      ***Size: 6.6 x 1.5 inches (16.8 cm x 3.8 cm)

                      EDIT: is this the actual dimensions? (Seems to be as it differs from
                      the manufacturers numbers.) We need the listed and actual.

                      ***Price: US $3

                      EDIT: this line should be "MSRP:" and as the manufacturer does not
                      list a price it should be N/A

                      EDIT: You need a Field Data section. Please refer to the lessons for
                      the information that is required for reviews.

                      ***This is listed as a "spork" but it's not really. It's a two-ended
                      utensil, with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other.

                      EDIT: as that makes it a combined spoon and fork it is, as the
                      manufacturer says, a "spork". You can say that it is not like
                      the "traditional sporks" you are used to seeing.

                      ***It's practically weightless, durable, functional.

                      EDIT: It's practically weightless, durable, "and" functional.

                      ***Neither the serrated or the smooth side of the fork would cut a
                      tougher item like meat or hard cheese.

                      EDIT: if you have not tried it, you can't say that it wont. That is
                      projecting.

                      ***I got used to opening a bit wider to avoid scaping the side of my
                      mouth.

                      EDIT: scraping

                      ***I eat out of a ¾ L gladware plastic screw-top container that's
                      about 3.5" in diameter by 6" deep. However, this isn't a "long
                      handled spoon" like the Firelite 8.4" titanium spoon.

                      EDITS: GladWare (note proper spelling) needs to be capitalized and
                      all numbers need conversions.
                    • raefrog47
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 22 11:03 PM
                        Hi Ray,
                        Here's my edited review. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I get
                        the messages in digest format, and I think I must have just missed
                        your edit, since it comes to the list and not me directly.

                        A few responses to your comments -
                        The measurement discrepancies came from the conversions - The listed
                        measurements were the measurements that I obtained in inches, so they
                        differed when converted to cm. I changed it to the listed cm
                        measurement, with the conversion in inches.
                        Sorry about the date missing - there was some confusion with my last
                        owner review and I was told to delete the date, so I did so on this
                        one, too, at the time.

                        Thanks for the comments. I'll be more careful with my tenses in the
                        future.
                        -Rae

                        Name: Rae Goodman
                        Age: 24
                        Gender: Female
                        Height: 5’ 2” (157 cm)
                        Weight: 155 lbs (71 kg)
                        Email: raefrog at hotmail dot com
                        Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
                        Date: February 18, 2007

                        Outdoors Background:
                        I’ve been hiking since high school, starting on pieces of the AT. I’ve
                        hiked, camped, and done overnight bicycling treks, primarily in and
                        around California. I work in outdoors programming for ages 13-26, and
                        have led trips for 1-50 people. So far, I’m a 3-season hiker, doing
                        mostly easier hikes, since I’m often taking first-timers with me. I’ve
                        never kept much track of my gear weight, since I’ve always been using
                        borrowed gear and often carrying group gear. I’m currently planning an
                        ’08 AT thru-hike, and I’m trying out ultralight gear, researching and
                        buying an item at a time.

                        Product Information
                        Manufacturer: Light My Fire
                        Product: Spork
                        Year: 2006
                        Website: http://www.light-my-fire.se/
                        Weight (listed): 0.32 oz (9 g)
                        Weight (measured): 0.35 (10g)
                        Size (listed): 6.6 x 1.5 inches (16.8 cm x 3.7 cm)
                        Size (measured): 6.6 x 1.5 inches (16.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
                        MSRP: N/A
                        Price: US $3 (at REI, Backpackinglight.com)
                        Material: Polycarbonate
                        Color: Green

                        This is listed as a “spork” but it’s not a traditional spork. Instead
                        of having a spoon with a few small teeth cut into it, it’s a two-ended
                        utensil, with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. The fork has
                        a serrated “knife” edge on one side.

                        Field Information
                        Testing locations: Various, in southern California, northern
                        California, and Colorado. Trips ranged from day-hikes to multi-day
                        camping and backpacking trips. I also use this utensil extensively at
                        home, as one of my regular utensils on a daily basis.
                        Trips conditions â€" Northern CA â€" Rainy, 0-

                        Narrative:
[...]

                        very useful. It’s not sharp, so about all it’s good for is cutting
                        cheddar cheese or similar, but the non-blade edge of the fork works
                        just as well for that. Neither the serrated nor the smooth side of the
                        fork will cut a tougher item like meat or hard cheese. I’ve managed to
                        cut/ tear off bite-sized pieces of very cooked stew meat, with about
                        equal success with both sides of the fork. Also, I always carry a
                        knife when camping anyway, so it’s not like I need the “blade.” And,
                        it’s easier to have a second utensil when cutting something tough like
                        meat â€" one to hold it still and one to cut. The serrated edge of the
                        fork was rough on the edge of the mouth when eating the first few
                        times, but I got used to opening a bit wider to avoid scraping the
                        side of my mouth. It’s not bad, unless I’ve already got a sore or
                        chapped lips.

[...]

                        when using the fork end â€" holding onto the spoon end makes it easy to
                        reach further down. I eat out of a ¾ L GladWare plastic screw-top
                        container that’s about 3.5 inches (8.9 cm) in diameter by 6 inches (15
                        cm) deep. However, this isn’t a “long handled spoon” like the Firelite
                        8.4 inches (21 cm) titanium spoon.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 23 6:35 AM
                          Hi Rae,

                          This is looking better. Still a few edits but once they are made
                          repost here. You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review test
                          folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main
                          page or here;

                          http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

                          The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

                          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

                          Although by the messed up punctuation in your repost it looks like
                          you have the HTML already. Let me know when it is in the Test folder.

                          Ray

                          ***Location: San Francisco, CA, USA

                          EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international
                          readers.

                          ***Price: US $3 (at REI, Backpackinglight.com)

                          EDIT: we do not list retail prices, please delete this line

                          ***Field Information
                          Testing locations: Various, in southern California, northern
                          California, and Colorado. Trips ranged from day-hikes to multi-day
                          camping and backpacking trips. I also use this utensil extensively at
                          home, as one of my regular utensils on a daily basis.
                          Trips conditions â€" Northern CA â€" Rainy, 0-

                          EDIT: did you start writing this section and stop, forgetting to come
                          back to it?

                          *** I eat out of a ¾ L GladWare plastic screw-top container

                          EDIT: I eat out of a ¾ L "(¾ qt)" GladWare plastic screw-top
                          container… needs conversion as shown
                        • Elizabeth Davis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 17 12:57 PM
                            LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK

                            TESTER BIO
                            Name: Elizabeth Davis
                            Age: 18
                            Gender: Female
                            Height: 5' 4'' ( 1.63 meters)
                            Weight: 125 pounds (57 kilograms)
                            Email address: elizrd AT gmail DOT com
                            City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
                            Date: December 28, 2007
                            Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking occasionally since I
                            was about eleven. During the last two years I have been hiking and
                            backpacking every chance I get. I hike about twice a month, and more
                            on holidays. I usually go on short backpacking trips of about
                            two/three days, but I would really like to stay out longer. I pack as
                            light as possible, but I am not really a "lightweight" backpacker. I
                            hike in Pisgah, Cherokee, Natahalah, and the Cumberlands, but mainly
                            the Smokies. The Smokies are extremely wet and fairly rugged in
                            places. Temperatures vary from 70 F (21.11 C) to some 0 F (0 C)
                            nights.

                            PRODUCT INFORMATION

                            Manufacturer: Light My Fire
                            Year of Manufacture: 2007
                            Manufacturer's Website: www.lightmyfire.com
                            MSRP: none listed
                            Weight: 7 grams (0.25 oz.)
                            Product Information: Avaliable in 15 colors, including metallic, the
                            spork is a polycarbonate spoon-knife-fork combo.

                            ( insert photo here, caption: "An
                            army of sporks!" )

                            FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW

                            I have used this spork on multiple backpacking trips in a variety of
                            temperatures. I have used it in Pisgah and in the Smokies, in rain,
                            snow, and sunshine. It has been used with a stainless steel pot and a
                            MSR Whisperlight white gas stove. I have also used it to eat lunch
                            from a plastic container during school.
                            This spork is lightweight, and sturdy. It is a useful length of 6.5
                            in. (16.5 cm). I have used it for soup, pasta (of both the spaghetti
                            and the shorter types), and to spread peanut butter and nutella. I
                            have found that I use the spoon end most often. The spoon end is
                            useful for soup and short pasta. The spoon is deep enough to hold a
                            bite of soup without it falling out. The fork end can be used for
                            spaghetti type pasta, though not as easily as regular silverware. The
                            tines of the fork are somewhat short and stubby, but they are still
                            able to pick up pieces of pasta. The knife is a serrated edge on the
                            outside of the tine of the fork. The knife is not terribly useful for
                            cutting tough objects because it is serrated. It can be used to cut
                            bread, but it is rather short, only about 0.75 in (1.91 cm). It can
                            also be used to cut small vegetables, such as carrots, though it is a
                            challenge. I find it easier to just carry a pocket knife to do any
                            cutting for my dinner. The knife can be used to spread peanute
                            butter-like substances, and in this case it is very useful because it
                            saves me having to clean gunk off of my pocket knife.
                            I especially appreciate the ease with which the spork can be cleaned.
                            The polycarbonate is smooth, and can be washed easily. I can even get
                            spaghetti sauce off without effort, and it does not leave residue.
                            The spork is very sturdy. I have not noticed any signs of wear. The
                            spork appears to be in like new condition. It is flexible, and I can
                            toss it in my backpack without fear of it breaking. The tines and
                            knife are not very sharp, so I do not have to worry about it
                            puncturing anything.

                            THINGS I LIKE

                            lightweight
                            easy to clean
                            sturdy
                            flexible

                            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

                            knife is not especially effective for cutting

                            SIGNATURE

                            elizrd AT gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 20 10:25 PM

                              reviews before submission.

                              Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
                              backpackgeartest.org).

                              Moderator.

                              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

                              the list or contact me directly.

                              Edit Administration Manager
                            • André Corterier
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 9, 2008
                                > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

                                Dear Elizabeth (or is there some short form you'd rather be called?),

                                this is your first edit for your first Owner Review.
                                Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org! I'm happy to see you've posted.
                                There's a bunch of things you can read about how these things work,
                                and judging by your report you've found (and read!) some of them
                                already. Excellent. If there's more you need to know or something you
                                don't understand, don't hesitate to ask. It is also always possible
                                to ask for a mentor. Just holler (well, better yet: Send an email to
                                that effect, entitled "Mentor Request" to this list, or better yet
                                to "mentor@...").

                                There tend to be a bunch of edits on a first review - I know mine had
                                a lot. Don't sweat it, a lot of it is just things we've developed
                                over the years at backpackgeartest.org that one needs to get used to.
                                It can be bothersome at first, but becomes easier with time. And it's
                                definitely worth it! (I was in your position almost exactly four
                                years ago.)

                                So, as per the Bylaws,
                                (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0)
                                my edit will take the following form: "EDIT" indicates an issue which
                                requires changing - grammar, typo, or house rules like "projection",
                                which I will explain if necessary; "Edit" indicates something that
                                struck me as odd or off, and that you are requested to consider doing
                                something about, although the final call is yours; "Comment"
                                indicates I couldn't keep my mouth shut...
                                ;-)

                                > LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK
                                >
                                > TESTER BIO
                                > Name: Elizabeth Davis
                                > Age: 18
                                > Gender: Female
                                > Height: 5' 4'' ( 1.63 meters)

                                EDIT: That's 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m) -- please refer to the table at the
                                bottom of our conversion chart, which lists how we abbreviate:
                                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

                                > Weight: 125 pounds (57 kilograms)

                                EDIT: ditto (125 lb / 57 kg)

                                > Email address: elizrd AT gmail DOT com
                                > City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
                                > Date: December 28, 2007

                                EDIT: I know we're a bit behind with our editing queue, but not that
                                far behind, are we?
                                ;-)

                                > Backpacking Background:

                                EDIT: I deleted the exact spot, but you once give "0 C" as the
                                equivalent temperature of "0 F". "0 F" actually equals -18 C (I
                                assume you checked the "Temperature Difference" conversion rather
                                than the "Temperature" conversion by accident (that happens all the
                                time, even to veteran testers, and often the only one who notices is
                                bloody foreigners like myself).

                                > PRODUCT INFORMATION
                                >
                                > Manufacturer: Light My Fire
                                > Year of Manufacture: 2007
                                > Manufacturer's Website: www.lightmyfire.com
                                > MSRP: none listed
                                > Weight: 7 grams (0.25 oz.)
                                > Product Information: Avaliable in 15 colors, including metallic, the
                                > spork is a polycarbonate spoon-knife-fork combo.
                                >
                                > ( insert photo here,
                                caption: "An
                                > army of sporks!" )

                                Comment: This reads as though you've already downloaded the Report
                                Writer feature. Is that so? If so, it'll also produce an HTML file
                                for you to upload to the test folder at backpackgeartest.org.
                                If not - please create an HTML document of this report, and upload it
                                there. Should you have difficulties with this, please do not hesitate
                                to ask the friendly and knowledgeable folks at

                                > FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW
                                >
                                > I have used this spork on multiple backpacking trips in a
                                variety of
                                > temperatures.

                                EDIT: Not good enough. I realize listing every incidence an item was
                                used becomes impossible once it's been used long enough (not to
                                mention pointless), but giving a more concrete range of examples and
                                a ballpark figure for the number of meals eaten with it (three, a
                                dozen, dozens?) is necessary.

                                I have used it in Pisgah and in the Smokies, in rain,
                                > snow, and sunshine. It has been used with a stainless steel pot and
                                > MSR Whisperlight white gas stove. I have also used it to eat lunch
                                > from a plastic container during school.
                                > This spork is lightweight, and sturdy. It is a useful length
                                of 6.5
                                > in. (16.5 cm).

                                Edit: Is this the total length? or just the handle? measured from
                                where to where?

                                I have used it for soup, pasta (of both the spaghetti
                                > and the shorter types), and to spread peanut butter and nutella.

                                EDIT: as a proper name, that's spelled "Nutella" (capitalized).

                                > have found that I use the spoon end most often. The spoon end is
                                > useful for soup and short pasta. The spoon is deep enough to hold a
                                > bite of soup without it falling out. The fork end can be used for
                                > spaghetti type pasta, though not as easily as regular silverware.
                                The
                                > tines of the fork are somewhat short and stubby, but they are still
                                > able to pick up pieces of pasta. The knife is a serrated edge on the
                                > outside of the tine of the fork. The knife is not terribly useful
                                for
                                > cutting tough objects because it is serrated. It can be used to cut
                                > bread, but it is rather short, only about 0.75 in (1.91 cm). It can
                                > also be used to cut small vegetables, such as carrots, though it is
                                > challenge. I find it easier to just carry a pocket knife to do any
                                > cutting for my dinner. The knife can be used to spread peanute
                                > butter-like substances, and in this case it is very useful because
                                it
                                > saves me having to clean gunk off of my pocket knife.

                                EDIT: that "of" is redundant.

                                > I especially appreciate the ease with which the spork can be
                                cleaned.
                                > The polycarbonate is smooth, and can be washed easily. I can even
                                get
                                > spaghetti sauce off without effort, and it does not leave residue.
                                > The spork is very sturdy. I have not noticed any signs of
                                wear. The
                                > spork appears to be in like new condition. It is flexible, and I
                                can
                                > toss it in my backpack without fear of it breaking. The tines and
                                > knife are not very sharp, so I do not have to worry about it
                                > puncturing anything.
                                >
                                > THINGS I LIKE
                                >
                                > lightweight
                                > easy to clean
                                > sturdy
                                > flexible
                                >
                                > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
                                >
                                > knife is not especially effective for cutting
                                >
                                > SIGNATURE
                                >
                                > elizrd AT gmail.com

                                Wow, that is one of the best 1st drafts for a first Owner Review I
                                have ever seen. Do you perchance have a Mentor already?

                                While you go over the above remarks, please also consider:

                                Has the spork ever appeared brittle (if used below freezing), or
                                partially melted (if trying to spear something being deep-fried in
                                fat)? (The latter happened to me.) Are there things that you can't
                                get the fork's tines into that a metal fork would enter (some fresh
                                vegetables might come to mind). Do you use the knife part for
                                anything other than spreading something on bread, because it's faster
                                than taking out your pocket knife - like, say, cutting a slice of
                                bread in two, cutting pasta etc.?

                                Once you've done this, please repost to this list by replying to this
                                message with the word "REPOST" substituted for the word "EDIT" in the
                                header. Please also upload an HTML version to the test folder (with
                                your pictures), and include a shortlink (tinyurl or snipurl) with
                                your text post here.

                                That seems like a lot of things to do already, but you've come so far
                                already with your first Owner Review draft, that I'm sure you'll
                                manage. And again - if not, just ask! We do like to help.

                                André
                                OR Editor