Re: EDIT/APPROVAL Owner Review - SmartWool Tee - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
      Hi Ted,

      Do you want me to make a folder sir?

      I know it was down earlier.

      Ray
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
        Thanks, Ray. That's fine. Looks good.

        I was outside this afternoon seam-sealing the Double Rainbow,
        breathing in those fine mineral spirits (that and fixing a rotted-out
        windowsill on my house). The former probably explains why I feel a
        trifle out of it tonight, but at least the weather let me do it
        outside, rather than poisoning my entire family. Dammit though,
        thinned Silnet is real hard to keep under control. I have several
        extra-well waterproofed spots, well away from seams.

        By the way, that is one nice mountain you are on in the last image.

        Ted.

        <rayestrella@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ted,
        >
        > Do you want me to make a folder sir?
        >
        > I know it was down earlier.
        >
        > Ray

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
          <erd@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Ray. That's fine. Looks good.
          >
          > I was outside this afternoon seam-sealing the Double Rainbow,
          > breathing in those fine mineral spirits (that and fixing a rotted-
          out
          > windowsill on my house). The former probably explains why I feel a
          > trifle out of it tonight, but at least the weather let me do it
          > outside, rather than poisoning my entire family. Dammit though,
          > thinned Silnet is real hard to keep under control. I have several
          > extra-well waterproofed spots, well away from seams.

          I have a few of those on the Squall 2 also. I used 100% silicone
          though. Did the silnet work OK?

          > By the way, that is one nice mountain you are on in the last
          >image.

          That is my nemisis White Mountain. We are ancient enemies, and she
          has gotten the best of me many times. Not that trip though!

          Ray

          > Ted.
          >
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1"
          > <rayestrella@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Ted,
          > >
          > > Do you want me to make a folder sir?
          > >
          > > I know it was down earlier.
          > >
          > > Ray

        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
            > I have a few of those on the Squall 2 also. I used 100% silicone
            > though. Did the silnet work OK?

            Pretty good so far as I can tell. The tent's outside, the sealant is
            dried, and I'm waiting for some rain that's supposed to be headed in
            overnight. I should know better how it went once we have had some
            showers. I'm sure there will be a few spots of touch-up needed, and
            that will let me know where. Henry's instructions call for the
            silicone to be thinned, so multiple applications *may* be required,
            but I think I was thorough, other than one small spot I noticed after
            I had finished cleanup.

            I have accumulated umpteen (well, 4 or 5) tubes of Silnet, so I used
            that rather than the 100 percent silicone a lot of folks use. It also
            thins down OK in mineral spirit, 1 part Silnet to 2 of solvent. I
            applied with a syringe and a sponge brush, also working the stuff into
            the seams with my thumb. I was wearing "Liquid Glove" or some such
            product, so in theory I was protected from the worst effects of the
            solvent. Not the neatest job, but I've never been particularly good at
            seam sealing neatly.

            > That is my nemisis White Mountain. We are ancient enemies, and she
            > has gotten the best of me many times. Not that trip though!

            If I make it out in the next year or so, I'll look you up and we can
            go climb that! I like the looks of it.

            Best,

            Ted.