OWNER REVIEW - LEKI Makalu Titanium Poles

  • d_opland
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
      LEKI Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles

      Name: Dawn Opland
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'5" (1.67 Meters)
      Weight: 120 Pounds (54 Kilograms)
      Email: dawn.opland@...
      City, State, Country: Hudson, WI, United States
      Date: 02 November 2006

      Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for six years, some weeklong trips, but
      mostly shorter weekend trips. I like to pack light, but am not an ultralight diehard. I have
      climbed mountains in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica. I recently moved to
      Wisconsin from Maine and now my weekend trips are in terrain consisting of rolling hills
      with flat sections interspersed. This December I will be traveling to Tanzania to hike
      Kilimanjaro with a friend and have plans to backpack across Isle Royale next August.

      Manufacturer: LEKI
      Leki USA, Inc.
      458 Sonwil Drive
      Buffalo, NY 14225

      Tel: 716-683-1022
      Fax: 716-683-1296
      E-Mail: service@...
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      MSRP: 99.95/pair
      Listed Weight: 16.6 ounces/pair (471 grams/pair)
      Weight as delivered: 16.0 ounces/pair (454 grams/pair)

      Length (measured from the tip):
      50.0 inches fully extended (127 Centimeters)
      24.0 inches collapsed (61 Centimeters)

      Poles are black with silver lettering and a red stripe running along 3-sides of the top
      section. The baskets are 2" diameter and made of black plastic. The foam grips are also
      black with a cork "cap" that houses the wrist strap adjustment. The wrist strap is made of
      black nylon with a soft fleece material sewn onto the side that touches your skin. The
      poles arrive with minimal packaging; the wrist straps are looped together and a plastic clip
      holds the tip ends together. My poles also came with a tiny LEKI carabineer (not intended
      for climbing purposes).

      The sections are extended and collapsed by twisting each section at the "hub" and then
      pulling or pushing the loosened section to lengthen or shorten to the desired height. You
      can get a more detailed explanation behind LEKI's internal tightening mechanism by
      visiting their website.

      Wrist straps are adjusted by pulling the tiny "plug" out from the top of the handgrips, now
      the straps are free and the slack can be adjusted to suit your preference. If you enjoy year
      round hiking you'll likely be adjusting your straps twice a year, once in the winter to
      accommodate your gloves and then again in the spring for your wrists sans gloves. It can
      be difficult to get the plug out of the handgrip without using a pliers.

      I have been using my LEKI poles for the past 3-years, mostly in the granite Appalachian
      Mountains in Maine. The poles are in great shape despite the rough terrain. The only area
      of the poles showing much sign of wear are the plastic baskets, which I will probably
      replace within the next two years. I continue to be impressed with the foam grips, they
      are not disintegrating and do not leave black residue on my hands (I've had this happen
      before).

      My only complaint is that I've had issues adjusting the length during winter snowshoeing
      hikes. In temperatures below 10-degrees Fahrenheit (-12 Celsius) the pole sections do
      not loosen or tighten as well as in the summertime. Speaking of cold temperatures, you
      can adjust the pole's length with gloves on, but it's much easier to just use your bare
      hands. I've seen some newer poles by Black Diamond that use an external locking
      mechanism that may interest anyone who does a lot of hiking in cold weather.

      Another consideration for uses would be as a tent pole. Some ultralight shelters are
      propped up using tent poles. I have never tried this, but it is something to consider if
      you're looking for a way to reduce your pack weight.

      In summary, these poles are fairly light at 16 ounces and a bargain for the manufacturer's
      price of $99.95/pair. They have never inadvertently collapsed on me during ascent/
      descent and are still in great shape after years of use.

      Buy them for:
      1. Low price for their weight
      2. Durability

      Not so hot:
      1. Reliability of locking mechanism in cold temperatures
      2. Wrist straps could be easier to adjust
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
          Hello Dawn,

          You have made a good first effort here. Though I have quite a few
          edits for you, the form of the review is generally good. One
          preliminary remark, however. We customarily abbreviate the units of
          measure, but I am unaware of any requirement to do so, provided that
          the report is internally consistent in this regard.

          It is unnecessary to capitalize them, as they are not proper nouns. I
          haven't marked every instance, but please go through and change the
          case, except in the one instance where I have indicated that upper
          case is correct.

          Also lacking from the owner review is an important and required
          section, indicating the conditions under which the poles have been
          used. You touch on this, but not comprehensively. My way is not the
          only way to do it, but I'm quoting below the statement from one of my
          ORs. All of this information should be included in the review.

          "I have used the Raven in winter in the Catskills and Adirondack
          Mountains primarily, at temperatures down to -15 F (8 C) or a bit
          below (and up to or even a little above freezing), at elevations to
          4500 ft (1372 m). It has been used exclusively under icy or snowy
          conditions, on steep terrain."

          In the case of the Makalus, you might cover the range of weather a
          little further, for rain, etc.

          A few things you don't touch on are the carbide tips, which should be
          discussed--what sort of wear do these show, and have you had to change
          them? Do yours have the anti-shock mechanism? If not, please state; if
          so, talk about that.Do you use both snow and trekking baskets? If so,
          you might want to talk about changing the baskets, and the merits (or
          otherwise) of each.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > LEKI Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles

          ### EDIT: This should be

          Owner Review LEKI Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles

          Review date: Date: 2 November 2006

          > Name: Dawn Opland
          > Age: 30
          > Gender: Female
          > Height: 5'5"

          ### EDIT: For consistency with the other units expressed in this
          review, this should be

          Height: 5 foot 5 inches

          (1.67 Meters)

          ### EDIT: lower-case m (and lowercase initial letter on units
          throughout, please.

          > Weight: 120 Pounds (54 Kilograms)
          > Email: dawn.opland@...
          > City, State, Country: Hudson, WI, United States
          > Date: 02 November 2006

          ### EDIT: Remove date from here as it is now at the head

          > Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for six years, some
          weeklong trips, but
          > mostly shorter weekend trips. I like to pack light, but am not an
          ultralight diehard. I have
          > climbed mountains in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica.
          I recently moved to
          > Wisconsin from Maine and now my weekend trips are in terrain
          consisting of rolling hills
          > with flat sections interspersed. This December I will be traveling
          to Tanzania to hike
          > Kilimanjaro with a friend and have plans to backpack across Isle
          Royale next August.

          ### COMMENT: I generally advise against listing specific trips, as
          this review will be read long after you have made them, at which point
          this will no longer be a valid statement of fact. What I would like
          here is an approximate pack-weight for a typical trip, before food and
          water.

          > Manufacturer: LEKI
          > Leki USA, Inc.
          > 458 Sonwil Drive
          > Buffalo, NY 14225
          >
          > Tel: 716-683-1022
          > Fax: 716-683-1296
          > E-Mail: service@...
          > Year of Manufacture: 2003
          > MSRP: 99.95/pair

          ### EDIT: MSRP: US$99.95/pair

          I have a query. I didn't look very hard, but I didn't see MSRPs on
          LEKI's site. If this is a retailer price, please omit and say simply
          MSRP: n/a. Otherwise, keep as is (with the edit).

          > Listed Weight: 16.6 ounces/pair (471 grams/pair)
          > Weight as delivered: 16.0 ounces/pair (454 grams/pair)
          >
          > Length (measured from the tip):
          > 50.0 inches fully extended (127 Centimeters)
          > 24.0 inches collapsed (61 Centimeters)
          >
          > Poles are black with silver lettering and a red stripe running along
          3-sides

          ### EDIT: I'm not clear what you mean here by 3-sides. Could you
          clarify the language slightly? The hyphen between 3 and sides is not
          required, and arguably, a pole of circular form does not have sides. I
          think probably just "...and three red stripes running along the sides
          of the top section." suffices.

          of the top
          > section. The baskets are 2"

          ### EDIT: 2 inches (and cm conversion, please)

          diameter and made of black plastic. The foam grips are also
          > black with a cork "cap" that houses the wrist strap adjustment. The
          wrist strap is made of
          > black nylon with a soft fleece material sewn onto the side that
          touches your

          ## EDIT: We generally avoid the use of "you," your," etc., as
          projecting the writer's experience on the reader. "...on the side that
          touches my skin."

          skin. The
          > poles arrive with minimal packaging; the wrist straps are looped
          together and a plastic clip
          > holds the tip ends together

          ### EDIT: add "when received" for clarity

          . My poles also came with a tiny LEKI carabineer

          ### EDIT: carabiner or karabiner is correct.

          (not intended
          > for climbing purposes).
          >
          > The sections are extended and collapsed by twisting each section at
          the "hub" and then
          > pulling or pushing the loosened section to lengthen or shorten to
          the desired height. You
          > can get a more detailed explanation

          ### EDIT: A more detailed explanation of LEKI's internal tightening
          mechanism may be found by visiting their website. [avoids "you"]

          behind LEKI's internal tightening mechanism by
          > visiting their website.
          >
          > Wrist straps are adjusted by pulling the tiny "plug" out from the
          top of the handgrips, now
          > the straps are free and the slack can be adjusted to suit your
          preference. If you enjoy year
          > round hiking you'll likely be adjusting your straps twice a year,
          once in the winter to
          > accommodate your gloves and then again in the spring for your wrists
          sans gloves.

          ### EDIT: Please reword the previous sentences to put this in terms of
          your experience, not the hypothetical "you."

          It can
          > be difficult to get the plug out of the handgrip without using a pliers.
          >
          > I have been using my LEKI poles for the past 3-years

          ### EDIT: three years

          , mostly in the granite Appalachian
          > Mountains in Maine. The poles are in great shape despite the rough
          terrain. The only area
          > of the poles showing much sign of wear are the plastic baskets,
          which I will probably
          > replace within the next two years. I continue to be impressed with
          the foam grips, they
          > are not disintegrating and do not leave black residue on my hands
          (I've had this happen
          > before).

          ### COMMENT: Maybe " (I've had this happen with other brands of pole).
          Don't specify the brand or style though; we don't do "shootout" reviews.

          > My only complaint is that I've had issues adjusting the length
          during winter snowshoeing
          > hikes. In temperatures below 10-degrees Fahrenheit (-12 Celsius)

          ### COMMENT: caps for Fahrenheit and Celsius are right and proper, as
          they are named for Messrs. Fahrenheit and Celsius!

          the pole sections do
          > not loosen or tighten as well as in the summertime. Speaking of
          cold temperatures, you
          > can adjust the pole's length with gloves on, but it's much easier to
          just use your bare
          > hands.

          ### EDIT: Lose the yous, please! <g>--that rhymes.

          I've seen some newer poles by Black Diamond that use an external
          locking
          > mechanism that may interest anyone who does a lot of hiking in cold
          weather.

          ### EDIT: Because of the "shootout" factor, please discard this last
          sentence, or just state that you have seen poles with such an external
          mechanism that may work better. Actually, I do a lot of winter
          mountaineering (Catskills, Dacks, and occasionally Whites) and I have
          never had too many issues the Leki locking mechanism. The BD Flicklock
          mechanism *is* better, but the "Binary" mechanism found on the lower
          section of some of their poles is a trifle awkward at the best of
          times, and impossible in winter.

          > Another consideration for uses would be as a tent pole. Some
          ultralight shelters are
          > propped up using tent poles. I have never tried this, but it is
          something to consider if
          > you're looking for a way to reduce your pack weight.

          ### EDIT: All perfectly correct, and indeed I was using my poles in
          this manner on Saturday might. The issue is that you haven't done
          this. You can get away with the first two sentences as a simple
          statement of fact but things go awry around "I have never tried this."
          Better to say "I have never tried this, but it might be something I
          would consider for reducing my pack weight." [If indeed it is].

          > In summary, these poles are fairly light at 16 ounces and a bargain
          for the manufacturer's
          > price of $99.95/pair.

          ### EDIT: See query as per price above.