REPOST: OWNER REVIEW: Yaktrax Pro - Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for the edits. After I post the OR, I was thinking I could
      have elaborated a bit on the trail useage, but I figured it would be
      better to wait for the edit to occur first.

      The edited version is also in the test folder:
      http://snipurl.com/10wm4

      I have made the edits you indicated, and I have a couple of comments
      of my own:

      YakTrax Pro on Merrell Boots
      ***EDIT: I suggest removing this line and noting which boots you used
      in the body of your review.

      --- Comment: That was just the marker for a picture. It only shows
      up when the picture is not available. It does not appear in the HTML
      version in the test folder. I have removed them from this post, but
      they will still be available for those people who cannot see the
      images on the website.

      Putting on the Yaktrax Pro:

      To get the Yaktrax Pro on, put the toe of the shoe under the Velcro
      strap and into the toe end of the rubber 'frame'. Then, while
      grasping the thickened portion at the back if the Yaktrax Pro, push
      the toe of the shoe into the rubber frame at the same time as
      stretching the Yaktrax Pro over the heel of the shoe. This is easily
      accomplished when wearing the shoe. Getting the force to push the
      shoe and stretch the Yaktrax Pro at the same time when not wearing the
      shoe is a challenge I have yet to master. Once the Yaktrax Pro is on
      the shoe, go around the edge of the shoe and pull up on the outer
      edges of the rubber webbing so that it is around the entire outside
      perimeter of the shoe. The toe end of the Yaktrax Pro has a distinct
      mesh pattern that allows for easy centering at the toe of the shoe and
      the heel end of the Yaktrax has a thickened tab for ease of pulling on
      and off and centering at the heel of the shoe. Once the Yaktrax Pro is
      satisfactorily situated, tighten the Velcro strap across the top of
      the shoe.

      ***EDIT QUESTION: Is this your personal description, or Yaktrax's? If
      the former, personalize it a bit to make that clear; if the latter,
      consider removing this and restating your own experience.

      --- Comment: This is entirely my own description here. Yaktrax
      provides no instruction on how to get them on other than to stretch
      them over the bottom of the shoe and fasten the velcro. :) I'm not
      sure what you mean by personalizing it, there is an 'I' statement in
      there, and this is generally my writing style, analytical and
      technical writing with concise descriptions. If you can expand here, I
      will do what I can to make it more personal.

      Thanks again for the edit Steve!

      Jo Ann
      -----------------------------
      Yaktrax Pro
      Owner Review
      October 15, 2006

      Name: Jo Ann Moffi
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 6" (168 cm)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 8 women's
      Email address: jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      Backpacking Background:

      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We
      live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. My most recent foray has been
      into Adventure Racing. When making a decision on gear, I like to go
      lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around extraneous
      bits and pieces.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Yaktrax, Inc.
      Manufacture Date: 2005
      Style: Yaktrax Pro
      MSRP: $29.95
      Size: Small (Available in unisex sizing Small, Medium, Large, and
      Extra Large)
      Color: Black
      Weight: 154 to 156 g (5.1 to 5.5 oz) depending on size
      Warranty: Full 90 day warranty should anything happen to the Yaktrax
      or if satisfaction is not complete.

      The Yaktrax Pro are made with rubber webbing covered with metal coils.
      The coils are made from 1.4 mm (0.06 in) steel and the rubber is
      touted to be heavy duty, natural rubber. The rubber webbing forms two
      large 'X' patterns on the bottom of the shoe and one smaller 'X' at
      the toe that are covered in the steel coils. Yaktrax, Inc. calls this
      system the SkidLock coiled design that provides 360 degrees of
      traction. The remainder of the rubber webbing around the edge of the
      Yaktrax Pro is not covered in coils. The Yaktrax Pro has a Velcro
      strap that goes across the top of the shoe. This is one of the
      differences between the Yaktrax Walker and the Yaktrax Pro, the other
      being a more durable rubber blend.

      Yaktrax, Inc. claims the Yaktrax Pro gives instant traction,
      confidence and safety on ice and packed snow, enabling the user to
      walk and run as if ice and packed snow were dry surfaces. Yaktrax,
      Inc. indicates the Yaktrax Pro can be worn in temperatures as low as
      -40.55 C (-41 F).

      Yaktrax Pro Features (according to the Yaktrax, Inc. website):
      • Easy On/Off
      • Walk Naturally
      • Spikeless/Ultralight
      • Helps Reduce the Risk of Falls & Injuries

[...]

      I have worn the Yaktrax Pro on my running shoes and hiking boots. My
      normal shoe size is 7.5 to 8.5. I chose a size small based on the
      manufacturer's size guide. The sizing was accurate for my shoes.

      Field Information

      Location or locations where the shoes were worn:
      In and around Sault Ste Marie, Ontario and surrounding Algoma region.

      Description of Location(s):
      Around town on ice and snow covered sidewalks and streets, snow and
      ice covered trails, some muddy trails. Local trails included:

      * 5 km (3.11 mi) trail along the Sault Ste. Marie Canal system,
      including St. mary's Island and Whitefish Island. Trails are
      reasonably well marked, some are only there because they are well
      frequented. These trails are not maintained in the winter and travel
      on them is at your own risk. Many feet traverse these trails so they
      are easy to find. The trails here are flat, with the occasional water
      crossing (ice crossing in winter).
      * Hiawatha Highlands trails including the Crystal Creek Trail
      system, Lookout Trail system, and Red Pine Trail system.
      Approximately 40 km (24.84 mi) of trail through Boreal Forest. Trails
      are well marked and regularly maintained. In the winter, they are
      groomed for use as cross country ski trails, both skate skiing and
      classic skiing. Walking on the trails is prohibited from late
      November to late March/early April. The trails are somewhat hilly on
      the Red Pine Trail and the Crystal Creek Trail systems.
      * Fort Creek Conservation area is approximately 77 hectares (191
      acres) with trails snaking randomly throughout. This area gets a fair
      amount of use in winter, but the trails are not maintained.

      From about January until March, I primarily used the Yaktrax on snow
      covered sidewalks and streets. I wore them on the trails at the Sault
      Ste. Marie Canal and the Fort Creek Conservation area periodically
      from January until March. Once the trails were no longer ski-able at
      Hiawatha Highlands, I also started heading out there for weekly outings.

      Weather Conditions:
      Bitter cold January and February averaging -10 C (18 F), March
      averaging -4 C (7.2 F). Snowfall coverage in January and February
      averages 50 cm (19.69 in). Active weather included snow flurries,
      blowing snow, overcast, and sunny days.

      Product Review

      My original reason for purchase of the Yaktrax was for running on ice
      and snow around town. After several near wipe outs in slippery
      conditions, I ordered the Yaktrax Pro from an online retailer,
      sight-unseen. The Yaktrax arrived in a plastic wrapped package with
      instructions. The instructions gave a brief outline on how to put on
      the Yaktrax Pro, care, and use guidelines.

      The Yaktrax Pro are fairly easy to get on and off while indoors.
      However, once outside, getting the Yaktrax Pro on and off with cold
      fingers and (usually) wet/snowy shoes or boots is not a pleasant
      experience. Removing the Yaktrax Pro with gloves and/or mittens is
      possible it is easy enough to just rip open the Velcro strap and pull
      on the tab at the back of the Yaktrax Pro in a downward direction.
      The rubber just springs off the shoe. Putting them on is not easily
      accomplished without removing gloves, and is impossible without
      removing mittens. If the gloves are not bulky, putting on the Yaktrax
      Pro is just like doing it with ungloved hands. Too much dexterity is
      required of the fingers to make it possible to stretch the rubber over
      the shoe with mittens on. This is the nature of winter though, and I
      certainly don't expect any different. The design of the Yaktrax is
      intentionally tight to ensure the Yaktrax Pro do not come off during
      walking and running. It would be extremely difficult to design a
      removable traction device without this issue.

      I used the Yaktrax Pro while hiking on snow packed trails. Most days
      I wore a small waist pack for water carrying, a couple of times on
      longer walks with my nephews, I would carry a backpack for water and
      extra 'kid' paraphernalia like mitts, hats, snacks, etc. The Yaktrax
      Pro performed similarly to ice and snow packed roads. When hiking up
      snow packed and ice covered hills, the Yaktrax Pro performed just as
      well as on flat land. I would hike between 5 km (3.11 mi) and 10 km
      (6.21 mi), depending on my time availability for the day.

      When used on muddy trails, the Yaktrax does slip a bit until they hit
      a more solid surface to bite into. They still perform better than a
      naked shoe in muddy conditions. Yaktrax, Inc. does not advocate using
      their product in these conditions.

      I also used the Yaktrax Pro for most of my winter runs last year. I
      ran mostly in town on snow and ice covered sidewalks and streets. The
      Yaktrax Pro performed exceptionally well. Not once can I recall
      slipping, even when running on glare ice. It takes a bit to have the
      confidence to run/walk on such surfaces without instinct kicking in
      and changing your stride. Once I was sure I wasn't going to be
      slipping, I actually came to enjoy those slippery patches just for the
      chance to 'test' the Yaktrax Pro!

      As the winter progressed and the weather started turning warmer, it
      was a bit more of a challenge running in the Yaktrax Pro on sidewalks
      and roads. Yaktrax, Inc. does not recommend wearing the Yaktrax Pro on
      any hard surface like pavement, concrete, gravel, tile, linoleum, etc.
      There were times when I was running partially in the snowbank to avoid
      the melted spots on the sidewalks. On longer portions of trail and
      sidewalk that we clear of ice and snow I would remove the Yaktrax Pro
      and put them back on later if necessary.

      The Yaktrax Pro saw about 12-15 km (7.45-9.32 mi) of running per week,
      plus 5-10 km (3.11-6.21 mi) of hiking per week over the course of four
      months. There was no evidence of wear on the rubber, and some mild
      wear on the metal coils. The coils were shiny when I purchased the
      Yaktrax Pro and they are dull now.

      As a final note, when I was pulling these out for the first time this
      year, the steel coils had some rust on them. After wearing them on
      one outing, the rust is now gone.

      Most desirable features:
      - Exceptional traction on ice and packed snow.
      - Stay on both my hiking boots and running shoes without slipping.

      Least desirable features:
      - Not easy to get on with cold fingers.

      Summary
      The Yaktrax Pro provide exceptional traction on ice and snow while
      hiking, running, walking, etc. They will be my traction device of
      choice for many years to come. An excellent product!