Owner Review - Tacktikka Petzl Head Lamp

  • canoe21
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
      Test Report for a Tactikka Petzl Head Lamp

      # Tester Biog .

      Name Lawrence Dalrymple

      Age 64

      Gender Male

      Weight 155 lbs . [ 70 kg. ]

      Heath 5'10 " [ 1.78 m ]

      Email camoe21@...

      City Sutton , Ontario , Canada , l0e 1r0

      Backpacking Background

      I started camping when I was around 10 years old in Nova Scotia ,since then I moved to Ontario Canada where I took up Canoe Camping and spending a lot of time in the Great Outdoors , over the years I have canoed in Algonquin ,Temagami and Lake Superior Parks to name a few ,My normal stay is 21 days extending up to 6 week's now that I am retired .

      I like the back country so this means I must Portage a tot up to 5 miles [8.05 km.] at a time so I feel this rates me as a Backpacker ,making up to 3 round trips trip's per portage depending on the length of my stay .

      I like to get out in mid May to the end of Sep ., to hike ,fish, camp ,take a few photos and to enjoy the Great Outdoors gone are days when I would move and travel every day ,a more slower pace has set in ,I now enjoy better gear it sure makes camping and porting a lot more enjoyable , now we like to set up a base camp and do day trips from there ,we can hike the trails and fish the back lakes .

      I think with all time and experience on the trail and in the bush I can test a lot of out door gear to see just how it works in the real world , I know when I am looking for new gear I try to research and find out all I can about it .

      I am especially interested in stuff that can be used together as most of the time I camp with my wife so we zip our sleeping bags together for an example .

      I got my Petzl Headlamp after I lost my Mag lamp ,I was directing some friends home across a Lake in Northern Ontario at night in the rain ,a very dark night and I had my Mag light in my coat pocket but when we got close to there camp sight I reached for my lamp and it was gone , must of paddled it out of my pocked .

      So this is why I got my Tactikka Headlamp I figured this must be a better way .

      I camped in Northern Ont .for around 80 days this year using my Petzl lamp daily around the camp and traveling at night back to our camp site ,never had to replace the batteries as the lamp is still very bright ,Petzl says battery life is around 120 hours I do not question this after all the hours I used mine .

      Size- 2 ¼ " x 1 ¼" [ 56 x 32 mm ]

      Lamp weight - 1.48 oz . [42 g ]

      Lamp and Battery's - 2.29 oz [65 g ]

      Head strap - I "- [ 25.4 mm ]

      Distance -approximate - 20 " [6.10 m ]

      Flip down red lens for night vision

      Lamp has a ratchet adjustment to keep it in one place .

      I find this lamp very handy as it frees up my hands making it much easer to do things at night ,the strap is very comfy as one could almost forget I am wearing it .

      The only trouble I find with this lamp is the on off switch is very stiff my Wife finds it hard to turn on or off ,aside from this I would recommend the Tactikka to any one looking for a good simple reliable light that seams to make the batteries last forever .

      Bernadette & Laurie

    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2006
        Hello Lawrence,

        Thank you for your interest in contributing to BackpackGearTest. We
        are always happy to see a new person come on board. I would like you
        to take a moment to go over some lessons and examples before we get
        to editing your review as it is not quite acceptable as it stands
        now.

        A very good resource for new testers and reviewers can be found here;

        Please refer to this and do a rewrite using these guidelines. I have
        written quite a few reviews myself and you are welcome to see how I
        do it.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

        I am going to be gone hiking this week-end but I will look to see if
        you have a rewrite when I get back and we can go from there.

        A couple of quick pointers.

        This is not a blog, and it is not a test. It is a "review" and
        should be addressed as such.

        Another question that needs to be asked is, are your canoe trips to
        a set point (cabin or such) that you then stay three weeks at, or
        are you exploring the waterways for three weeks, like in the Boundry
        waters. As we test and review backpacking gear, which many canoeists
        use the latter scenario is much more conducive to our kind of
        testing. We want you to know that up front.

        I hope this help, have a great weekend.

        Raymond Estrella
        Owner Review Editor
      • Lawrence A. Dalrymple
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > Hello Lawrence,
          >
          > Thank you for your interest in contributing to BackpackGearTest. We
          > are always happy to see a new person come on board. I would like you
          > to take a moment to go over some lessons and examples before we get
          > to editing your review as it is not quite acceptable as it stands
          > now.
          >
          > A very good resource for new testers and reviewers can be found here;
          >
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1
          >
          > Please refer to this and do a rewrite using these guidelines. I have
          > written quite a few reviews myself and you are welcome to see how I
          > do it.
          >
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella
          >
          > I am going to be gone hiking this week-end but I will look to see if
          > you have a rewrite when I get back and we can go from there.
          >
          > A couple of quick pointers.
          >
          > This is not a blog, and it is not a test. It is a "review" and
          > should be addressed as such.
          >
          > Another question that needs to be asked is, are your canoe trips to
          > a set point (cabin or such) that you then stay three weeks at, or
          > are you exploring the waterways for three weeks, like in the Boundry
          > waters. As we test and review backpacking gear, which many canoeists
          > use the latter scenario is much more conducive to our kind of
          > testing. We want you to know that up front.
          >
          > I hope this help, have a great weekend.
          >
          > Raymond Estrella
          > Owner Review Editor

          Hi Ray

          I reposted my owner report on the Petzl Tactikka Led Head Lamp a couple
          of days ago and was wondering if you had a chance to go over it ,I see
          it listed under Lighting and thought you had to edit it first ,I am not
          trying to rush you in any way I am just curious that's all .

          Sad to hear that the weather was cold on your weekend outing the cold
          seams to put a damper on things when you are expecting it .

          Regards

          Lawrence
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hi Lawrence,

            You have incorrectly uploaded your unedited review to the database
            on BGT. It must be approved by an editor via this list before you
            are allowed to do that. Please delete it and post a REVISED version
            here so Ray can take a crack at your first round of edits (which he
            will post here).

            Currently your OR is in limbo in the OR Queue until you post a
            REVISED version.

            Thank you,
            Jamie D.
            Edit Admin Manager

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence A. Dalrymple"
            <canoe21@...> wrote:
            > Hi Ray
            >
            > I reposted my owner report on the Petzl Tactikka Led Head Lamp a
            couple
            > of days ago and was wondering if you had a chance to go over it ,I
            see
            > it listed under Lighting and thought you had to edit it first ,I
            am not
            > trying to rush you in any way I am just curious that's all .
            >
            > Sad to hear that the weather was cold on your weekend outing the
            cold
            > seams to put a damper on things when you are expecting it .
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Lawrence

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > Hi Lawrence,
              >
              > You have incorrectly uploaded your unedited review to the database
              > on BGT. It must be approved by an editor via this list before you
              > are allowed to do that. Please delete it and post a REVISED
              version
              > here so Ray can take a crack at your first round of edits (which
              he
              > will post here).

              Hi Lawrence,

              I had also asked you earlier the following;

              Another question that needs to be asked is, are your canoe trips to
              a set point (cabin or such) that you then stay three weeks at, or
              are you exploring the waterways for three weeks, like in the Boundry
              waters. As we test and review backpacking gear, which many canoeists
              use the latter scenario is much more conducive to our kind of
              testing. We want you to know that up front.

              This information is needed from you prior to going forward with your
              reviews.

              Thank you,

              Ray
            • canoe21
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
                Hi Ray
                Sorry for putting my revue in the wrong place but I was having troubles trying to upload it for a revue and some how got in the wrong area
                I have tried to get back in to the review section to delete my OR but I can not find it to do so ,can you help correct this problem ,thanks .
                My canoe trips are to many places in Ontario,I do like to get out and explore a lot of different places ,Over the years I have canoed an the South fork of the Edisto River and Lynches River in South Carolina ,with many trips to most of Algonquin Park over the years,also Lady Evelyn Smootwater Provinicial Park in the Temagami area of Ontario along with Lake Superior Provincial Park I have canoed over a great deal of the Park and the Lake Anjigimi area ,often I will set up camp on one lake for a few days to explore and to fish the near by rivers and lakes .

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Hello Lawrence,

                  We took care of the other post. Not to worry.

                  Thank you for the repost of your review. I will get to the edits of
                  what is here below. They will take the following format;

                  EDIT: must be changed

                  But once again I will ask you to please browse through the other
                  headlamp reviews and test reports to get an idea of what we are
                  looking for. Your description could use a lot more information. How
                  long/short is the strap? How does it adjust for size? How many
                  batteries does it use? What size? Is the body fixed, or can it be
                  aimed down to illuminate the area in front of your feet? Is the beam
                  adjustable? Is in what ways?

                  The same goes for your Field Use. Does it feel comfortable? Ever
                  fall in the water? Were the batteries hard to install? Have you ever
                  had to hike with it? Read with it? Do you use the red lens? If so
                  what did you think?

                  When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                  to the subject line. (Also you should put your name in it as I added
                  to this one.)

                  ***Tester Owners information

                  EDIT: you are a reviewer, not a tester for this.

                  ***Date Oct . 29,2006

                  EDIT: October 29, 2006

                  ***Height 5' 10" 1.78 m.

                  EDIT: no period after your unit abbreviations "1.78 m" please change
                  all instances.

                  ***Weight 155 lbs. 70 kg.

                  EDIT: no "s" in lb "155 lb (70 kg)"

                  ***Personal biographical information

                  EDIT: you need to shorten your bio to stay under the 100-word limit

                  ***Petzl Tackikka Head Lamp

                  EDIT: "Tactikka"

                  ***Tactikka has a row of three Led Lamps

                  EDIT: LED lamps

                  ***Purchased for $39.94 [Canadian ] in March 2006 ]

                  EDIT: you can list the MSRP if the manufacturer lists one, in this
                  case they do not so it should be, MSRP: N/A

                  ***Size 2 1/4"x1 1/4" {56x32 mm ]

                  EDITS: Size "measured" so the readers know this is your measurement.
                  Also you hit the wrong bracket, and a space between "x" and the
                  numbers. [56 x 32 mm]

                  ***Lamp Weight 1.48 oz. [42g ] from the web

                  EDITS: no period after oz need a space before "g" and lose the one
                  after it. [42 g]
                  This also needs to be weighed by you with the result listed.

                  ***Lamp and battery's 2.29 oz. [65 g ]from the web

                  EDITS: "batteries" and same thing as above.

                  ***Head strap 1" [ 24.4 mm ]

                  EDIT: spacing, [24.4 mm]

                  ***Light beam approximate 20' [6.10 m.]

                  EDIT: 20' what? In diameter, in distance?

                  ***The Tactikka is a well made compact head with

                  EDIT: head "lamp"

                  ***three Led's lamp

                  EDIT: it is "three LED bulbs"

                  ***with no bells or whistles except for the fold down lens

                  Edit; well actually it does, you just have not mentioned them.

                  ***that works well to save night vision,with a ratchet action to
                  keep the lamp in one place

                  EDIT: period after vision. Start a new sentence to talk about the
                  ratcheting action. You should mention what the ratcheting action is
                  for.

                  ***along with a very comparable head strap .

                  EDIT: comparable to what?

                  ***Petzl says on there web page

                  EDIT: "their" web page

                  ***that batteries will last up to 120 hours I believe this to be
                  true

                  EDIT: period after hours

                  ***as I used my lamp four 80 days and the led's are still bright on
                  the same batteries .

                  EDITS: as I used my lamp "for" 80 days and the LED's are still
                  bright "with" the same "batteries".

                  ***Weather conditions were from light snow , rain , fog with
                  temperature's from
                  around 30 f. [-1.10 c ] to over 95 f. [35 c ]

                  EDITS: Fahrenheit and Celsius abbreviations are capitalized, C and F
                  with no periods. And please fix spacing.

                  ***I used my Tactikka for 80 days this year while camping in
                  Northern Ontario on a daily bases

                  EDIT: "basis"

                  ***and traveling at night back to our camp through a wide range of
                  conditions ,it gave me a lot of light making camping a lot more
                  enjoyable liked the fold down red lens for traveling and getting in
                  and out of my canoe and not loose my night vision .

                  EDIT: please start a new sentence after "conditions,
                  and "enjoyabale". Loose should be spelled "lose".

                  ***The on off switch is very stiff and some times hard to turn on in
                  the dark when
                  I can not see it this is the only fault I could find with my
                  Tactikka .

                  EDIT: …when I can not see it. This is the only..
                • canoe21
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
                    Thanks Again Ray
                    I am leaving early in the AM for Halifax,Nova Scotia for two weeks approximately will edit when I return once again I thank you for all your patience with me as it seams I have a lot to learn .
                    Regards
                    Lawrence

                    Bernadette & Laurie

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, canoe21 <canoe21@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Again Ray
                      > I am leaving early in the AM for Halifax,Nova Scotia for
                      two weeks approximately will edit when I return once again I thank
                      you for all your patience with me as it seams I have a lot to learn .

                      No problem that is what we are here for.

                      Since you are leaving and do not want your review to get dropped
                      from the queue, do this.

                      Post a message here. In the subject line put "your name" OOP
                      (meaning Out Of Pocket)and the date you will be back online.

                      Example if I were going to be gone for two weeks I would write;

                      Ray Estrella OOP until November 17th

                      Then I would put the same line in the body of my message along with
                      anything else I wanted to share. (I got invited to be the guest
                      speaker at the Girl Scouts Alumni Reunion, see you guys in a couple
                      weeks, or 5 to 10 years...)

                      This will let them know that you are not ignoring the edit post.

                      Have a great trip.