Thank you Ray Estrella - Re: Owner Review - BearVault BV400 -

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:
      > You didn't waste any time did you?? hahaha

      It has been half written for a month. I have a bunch in various states
      of completion.

      Ray
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
        Hello Ray,

        Here ya go!

        Please upload corrected version to

        http://tinyurl.com/y5vrp7

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        > http://tinyurl.com/g496s
        >
        > Ray
        >

        > Inside if

        ### EDIT: cut "if"

        the lid are six ribs radiating out from the center to give
        > added strength. (See below.) The threads on the lid and the body are
        > very aggressive. More about them later.
        >
        > The unit locks with the use of a tab protruding from both the lid at
        > the bootom of the lip, and the body at the shoulder just below the
        > threads. As the lid screws down the body to the shoulder the tab on
        > it "clicks" past the tab on the body courtesy of the angled face the
        > lid tab has. Once past they have oppsing

        ### EDIT: opposing

        angle sides hitting each
        > other making it near impossible to just unscrew the lid back off. To
        > get it to unlock the lid must be pressed in at the small textured
        > (knurled) area which will flex the lid enough to allow the tabs to
        > clear each other. Here is a picture of it all.
        >

        > The company claims that the BV400 can carry seven days worth of
        > food. They also claim that it has a "rain-proof opening". I do not
        > understand what they refer to as if it is open, it is open. There is
        > nothing to keep rain out!

        ### COMMENT: This is perplexing. I can only assume they *mean*
        "rain-proof closure" but that's not what they are stating!

        > Field Conditions
        >
        > I have used the BV400 on two backpacking trips for a total of 9 days
        > in the field. One trip was from Onion Valley to Horseshoe Meadows
        > via Cottonwood Pass. This was a four day 58 mile (93 km) trip on the
        > east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

        ### EDIT: Perhaps you should indicate the state (CA, I assume).

        The BV400 was carried in a
        > Mountainsmith Auspex pack that weighed 32.5 lb (14.74 kg)

        ### EDIT: 14.7 kg is sufficient accuracy to match the lb measure. The
        remaining .04 is presumably a conversion artefact?

        at the
        > start. Temperatures ranged from a low of 30 F (-1 C) to a high of 80
        > F (27 C). Low altitude was the start at 9200' (2804 m) to a high of
        > 13180' (4017 m)
        >
        > The second trip was an 88 mile (142 km) hike in the Sierra Nevada's

        ### EDIT: Sierra Nevadas

        > west side in October of 2006. I was in lows of 29 F (-2 C) at night.
        > I camped at elevations of 8700' to 10000' (2652-3048

        ### EDIT: Close bracket, period [i.e. ).]

        Again it was
        > carried in the Auspex with a starting weight of 37.5 lb (17 kg).
        > This trip was supposed to be an eight day hike, but was cut short
        > due to weather.
        >

        > The company says that the BV400 can carry a seven day supply of
        > food. I can attest to that. On the 4

        ### COMMENT: A niggle, but since you are spelling out seven and eight
        days, you should spell out "four" for consistency. Picky, picky, I know!

        day trip Dave and I shared one
        > canister. And for the eight day trip I had the following items
        > inside of the BV400.
        >
        > 7 freeze-dried dinners
        > 15 1-quart/liter servings of GU2O in locking bags
        > 15 Lara Bars
        > 5 Pro Bars
        > 4 2 oz (57 g) bags of hulled sunflower seeds
        > 2.5 oz (71 g) dark chocolate covered coffee beans in a plastic bag
        > 4 oz (113 g) assorted sugar-free hard candies
        > Seven locking bags of vitamins and wheat grass tablets.
        > Here is all of it spread out on my plan table.
        >

        > And here it is packed in the BV400.
        >

        > I should mention that I never actually carry my food inside of

        ### EDIT: delete "of"

        the
        > canister. To keep the weight placed the way that I want it I put my
        > sleeping bag and fleece pillow case (and sometimes my Phantom down
        > jacket) inside of the canister which goes in the bottom of my pack.
        > The food is carried in a sack that I place as close to my shoulders
        > in the pack as possible. Once in camp I pull everything out and put
        > the food in the BearVault. When sharing with Dave we do the same
        > thing. I carry the canister and my food, Dave carries his food and
        > we put it in the BearVault once we get to camp. (I hope no rangers
        > are reading this.)

        ### COMMENT: Can't you carry the food on the top level of the pack? I
        do this, and keep my water against my back. I wouldn't think the lever
        arm would be significantly different. You have more experience than me
        with those pesky canisters, so this is a personal inquiry rather than
        a critique.