Re: Fwd: Owner Review - Light-Weight R4 Patagonia Fleece

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2006
      Dexter is this a repost? If so please resubmit it to the list with
      the word REPOST in the subject line along with the item name. I
      need to know so I can list it properly in the Edit Queue.

      Thanks
      Jamie D
      Edit Admin Manager

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Dexter Bateman"
      <dexterbateman@...> wrote:

      > This is my first owner review ever!! Thanks a lot for looking at
      this!!

      > Patagonia Lt-Weight R4
      >
      > Owner Review
      >
      > October 1, 2006
      >

      > *Reviewer Information*
      >
      > Name: Dexter Bateman
      >
      > Age: 19
      >
      > Gender: Male
      >
      > Height: 6'5" (1.93 m)
      >
      > Weight: 190 lbs (86 kg)
      >
      > E-mail: dexterbateman(at)gmail(dot)com
      >
      > City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA, United States
      >
      > Date: October, 2006
      >

      > *Backpacking Background:*
      >
      > I started backpacking a few years ago in the Southern
      > Appalachians of North Georgia. I take frequent day hikes and go
      out for a
      > few nights on every long weekend available. I usually get to do
      two or three
      > extended, week long hikes per year. The Georgia Mountains are home
      to hot
      > summers and cold winters with some ice and snow. I consider myself
      > lightweight hiker, not using ultra light gear, but taking only the
      bare
      > essentials.
      >
      > *Product Information:*
      >
      > Product: Light-Weight R4 Fleece
      >
      > Manufacturer: Patagonia
      >
      > Year of Manufacture: 2005
      >
      > Made In: USA

      > Listed Weight: 18 oz (510 g)
      >
      > Received Weight: 18.2 oz (516 g)
      >
      > Size Men's X-Large: Chest: 46-48" (117-122 cm) Neck: 17-17.5"
      > (43.18-44.45cm) Sleeve: 36-37" (91-94cm) Waist: 38" (97cm)
      >
      > Color Options: Royal/Channel Blue, Sultan Red/Persian Red,
      Stainless/Whale
      > Blue, Black/Whale Blue.
      >

      > - Polartec Windbloc laminate
      > - Lined with R1 fleece for wicking moisture on the inside
      > - Adjustable draw cord collar and hem
      > - Hand warmer and chest pockets
      > - Internal stow pockets
      >

      > *Testing:*
      >
      > I have used this fleece for numerous trips since I
      purchased it
      > last fall. I have used it for bumming around chilly Atlanta and
      two extended
      > trips and countless numbers of short hikes on the Appalachian
      Trail in North
      > Georgia. I have also worn the fleece hiking in Washington State
      hiking in
      > Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Parks and day hiking in the White
      Mountains
      > of New Hampshire. Elevations ranged from 500 – 7000 feet (152-2134
      m) and
      > temperatures from 60-10 degrees F (15.56 to -12.21 degrees C).
      >

      > *Warmth*:
      >
      > This fleece is very warm, and only receives the title
      > "Light-weight" because it is compared to the even warmer regular
      R4 jacket.
      > This jacket has always done a wonderful job of keeping me warm. It
      offers
      > several different levels of warmth from wearing the jacket loosely
      unzipped
      > to cinching down all of the drawstrings and zipping all the way up
      to the
      > collar.
      >
      > *Layering/Fit:*
      >
      > * *I love the way this jacket fits me. It is trim and
      feels
      > fitted without being too constricting. The sleeves are long enough
      to extend
      > even when stretching my arms out. This fleece also excels at being
      used with
      > a layering system: There is enough room under all joints and
      sleeves to fit
      > base layers comfortably. The fleece also slides nicely under a
      rain shell.

      > I really like the shoulder seams, which have been
      designed in an
      > "s-shape" to avoid having the seams directly under pack straps.
      This is a
      > lifesaver for extended backpacking trips! The collar is also
      coated with
      > Supplex, so it fits nicely around my neck without being too rigid.
      >
      > *Windproofness:*
      >
      > This is the first windproof fleece I have ever owned.
      I did not
      > really understand the meaning of windproof until I really needed
      it.
      > Ridge-walking in the Presidential Range in New Hampshire is
      definitely the
      > place to test a windproof fleece. The wind blows mercilessly
      through the
      > gulfs and on top of all of the exposed peaks. I would put this
      fleece on as
      > soon as I got into the Alpine zone on every hike and I never felt
      the wind!
      > The main zipper is backed with a Supplex liner, so none of the
      wind can
      > sneak in anywhere. It is incredible!
      >
      > *Ventilation:*
      >
      > This is one area where the Lt-Weight R4 could use some
      > improvement. The torso zippers open into large mesh pockets on the
      inside of
      > the jacket. It definitely makes a difference to open up these
      zippers, but
      > on a long uphill climb in cold weather, I find myself building up
      moisture
      > on the inside. The underarms are made of unlamented R1 fleece
      which provides
      > excellent breathability. This is, however, the one weak point of
      the
      > windproofness: if I lift up my arms, the wind can penetrate this
      area.
      > Longer pit zips positioned farther back would be a big improvement
      over the
      > current design.
      >
      > *Overall Comments/Concerns:*
      >
      > * *A highly technical fleece suitable for a variety of
      cold
      > weather activities, this fleece is a very good combination of when
      mobility,
      > warmth and comfort are required. This is a definitely a quality
      piece of
      > clothing, which shows now signs of wear after nearly a year's use.
      One