Re: [BackpackGearTest] EDIT: Owner Review - MSR Pocket Rocket Cannister Stove

  • Tim Tessier
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2006
      Thanks Edward,

      This will take a little getting used to as I need to remember I am writing for a geographically dispersed audience. When in conversation about a product it's easier because you generally share a common point of reference.

      I'll re-do over the weekend and re-submit. Thank you for your help!

      Tim

      edwardripleyduggan <erd@...> wrote:
      Hello Timothy,

      Your edit is below. A good start, although some required details were
      lacking, as indicated. I did wonder if you had had an opportunity to
      read the various materials on owner review writing.

      http://tinyurl.com/rcn4d

      is useful, though there are many other materials on the site,
      including the Survival Guide, which you should most certainly read if
      you have not done so. Please note that there is a conversion table
      located at

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

      Be sure to read the footnotes on how to present units, etc.

      Please correct as indicated, and post the edited version back to this
      list, substituting REPOST where EDIT is now in the subject line.

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor

      > MSR PocketRocket

      ### EDIT: Correct form of the title is as follows:

      Owner Review MSR PocketRocket Canister Stove

      Date: Date: October 1, 2006

      [The title is prefaced by the words "Owner Review"; the type of gear
      is stated; the review date goes under the title]

      > Reviewer Information:
      >
      > Tim Tessier
      > Age: 49
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 6'2" (1.9 Meters)
      > Weight: 215 lbs. (98 Kilograms)
      > Email Address: timothy_tessier@...
      > Located in: Greensboro NC USA
      >
      > Date: October 1, 2006

      ### EDIT: Date can now be removed from here.

      > Backpacking Background: I hiked as a child with my father and
      > started hiking with my son 7 years ago when he was eight years old.
      > We now routinely take 20 mile weekend hikes (two nights)
      > approximately once a month year round. Additionally, we take one,
      > five to seven day extended trip each summer, this past year to
      > Yellowstone. Most of our hiking is done in NC, southern VA, TN, KY,
      > and WV. We go regardless of weather so we have experience in all
      > types of conditions.

      ### EDIT: I'd like some idea of your style of backpacking here; heavy,
      medium, lightweight? An actual packweight for a two-night trip (before
      consumables) is very helpful. [This enables the reader to compare
      their style of baclpacking with yours, important sometimes in
      assessing suitability of gear]. Please keep the total number of words
      to approximately 100.

      > Product Specifications:
      >
      > Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      > Year of Manufacture: 2004
      > Listed Weight: 3 oz. (85 grams) (excluding fuel canister)
      > Weight as delivered: 3 oz. (86 grams) 4 oz. in carrying case.

      ### EDIT: No period after oz, please use g for grams for uniformity in
      abbreviation

      > Height (in plastic carrying case) 4 3/8"
      > Width (in plastic carrying case) 2 1/4" Triangular shape.

      ### EDIT: Metric equivalents on the measurements, please.

      > List Price: $39.95 (per MSR website)
      >
      > Additional Specifications (per manufacturer)
      > Boils Water in 3.5 minutes
      > Simmer or boil with glove friendly controls.
      > Optional WindClip Windshield available (not tested)

      > The PocketRocket is a tiny compact stove designed to be used with
      > canister fuel. The stove comes in a hard-shell protective plastic
      > case.

      ### EDIT: While it's OK to quote the manufacturer's blurb, some
      physical description of the stove in your own words is needed here.
      The line that follows doesn't qualify, as it says nothing about the
      construction, how it folds, configuration of the pot rests (are they
      notched?), lighting mechanism if any, and so on. This portion of the
      text should be after "...case."

      To use the stove, simply remove from the case, extend the pot
      > holders and screw directly onto the top of a compatible fuel
      > canister.

      ### COMMENT: Such stoves can generally be used with all standard
      canisters. You may want to mention this.

      This design is simple, and as you attach the stove
      > without use of a hose,

      ### EDIT: ...and as the stove is attached without use of a hose

      [avoid the use of you, yours etc., which in effect project your
      experience on that of the readers]

      there is one less thing to carry or to
      > damage. The MSR fuel canisters have a concave bottom surface which
      > allows them to provide a stable base virtually anywhere. I have
      > used the MSR canisters exclusively.
      >
      > A control valve extends outward approximately 1 1/4"

      ### EDIT: metric conversion also, please

      from the base
      > of the stove to allow simple control of the heat level. This
      > control valve folds up for packing.

      > The PocketRocket is extremely easy to use and in appropriate weather
      > conditions extremely dependable.

      ### EDIT: lacking from this section are the range of field conditions
      under which you have used the stove. At minimum, elevation range,
      temperature range, and weather conditions should be detailed. Where
      units are supplied, metric equivalents should be present e.g. with the
      elevation and temperatures.

      I have been using this stove for
      > approximately two years now without the slightest trouble. The
      > PocketRocket delivers a tremendous jet of heat almost instantly.
      > There is no priming, pumping, or pressurization routine required,
      > simply turn on the valve and light the stove. MSR offers a clip-on
      > windscreen which I have not tested. However, I have on many
      > occasions used a simple piece of aluminum foil as a windshield with
      > satisfactory results.
      >
      > The valve can easily be controlled with gloved fingers, though this
      > does bring up the one serious drawback I have found with this
      > product. While the stove is a spectacular product there is a
      > fundamental drawback with the fuel. In temperatures at 40 degrees
      > (Fahrenheit)

      ### EDIT: instead of "40 degrees (Fahrenheit)" this should be "40 F (4
      C)" [metric equivalent lacking] Note that "degrees" is implied and
      need not be stated.

      or lower the fuel will separate, and no longer burn
      > properly. Once separated the fuel will not re-constitute into it's

      ### EDIT: its

      > proper mixture. On a recent trip to Yellowstone I ended up having
      > to hold a pot holder in one hand while shaking the stove in another
      > to keep it running well enough to boil water for my breakfast
      > coffee.
      >
      > I would not recommend counting on a PocketRocket for use on
      > wintertime backpacking trips, even in temperate areas. For
      > summertime use where temperatures will not fall below 40 degrees,

      ### EDIT: see above

      > however, the PocketRocket is an appropriately named little torch of
      > a stove.
      >
      > Likes: Tiny size and weight
      > Instant start
      > Easy and dependable simmer control.

      ### EDIT: you have mention of simmer control in the summary, but no
      discussion of the simmer performance in the main text. Performance at
      various settings should be addressed there. It would also be very
      helpful to know what pot or pots you have used the stove with, whether
      the flame pattern is suitable for them on all settings (sometimes the
      diameter of small pots is less than the diameter of the flame, leading
      to lost heat and (potentially) scorched fingers. I would like some
      more detail on these aspects of performance in the main body of text,
      please.

      > Dislikes: Undependable performance in cold weather

      ### COMMENT: Typical with canister stoves, although there are a
      variety of fixes for this, of varying degrees of effectiveness, Just
      my comment, nothing you need discuss.

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2006
        Hello Timothy,

        Yup, that is one of the bih challenges. BGT's volunteers alone are
        Australian, German, French, English etc... as well as American. Our
        readers are yet more diverse. It's one reason why manufacturers test
        with us. It's also why we have to be consistent, why we have a sort of
        "house style" in fact.

        This doesn't mean that we want all reports to read the same
        stylistically (we deliberately avoid editing style unless it gets in
        the way of understanding). We aim to ensure that metric measurements
        are covered, that the conditions under which gear is tested are
        specified, etc. These are some of the common points of reference we
        must cover. It does take a little getting used to!

        BTW, one missed edit below, which (if you catch this in time), we can
        incorporate on this round:

        > Height: 6'2" (1.9 Meters)
        > Weight: 215 lbs. (98 Kilograms)

        ### EDIT:

        Height: 6' 2" (1.9 m)
        Weight: 215 lb (98 kg)

        Best.

        Ted.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Tim Tessier

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2006
          Hi Edward,

          It's done...

          BTW, please call me Tim or T2 or Dudly (my trail name).