Owner Review: MSR Windpro - Pat McNeilly

  • mcne4752
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
      I am submitting an OR for the MSR Windpro Stove. The text version is
      below and an html version can be found at

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20MS\
      R%20Windpro%20-%20Pat%20McNeilly/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20M\
      SR%20Windpro%20-%20Pat%20McNeilly/>

      I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

      Pat McNeilly

      Owner Review - MSR Windpro

      Review Date: October 5, 2006

      Name: Pat McNeilly
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: patrick.mcneilly@...
      City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for at least 20 years but
      backpacking for only the last three years. Most of my backpacking is
      done as overnight trips and occasional weekend and weeklong trips. My
      typical packweight is approximately 18 to 20 lb (8 to 9 kg) before food
      or water. Most of my backpacking is the three season variety in the
      mountains of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. In addition to
      backpacking, I also fish, hunt, and have been involved in disaster
      relief. As a result, some of my backpacking equipment gets use in a
      number of different venues.

      Product Information:
      Product: Windpro
      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      MSRP: $ 79.95 US

      Listed Weight

      Measured Weight

      Packaged Weight

      10.5 oz (298 g)

      10.1 oz (286 g)

      Stove

      6.8 oz (193 g)

      6.8 oz (193 g)

      Windscreen

      1.6 oz (45 g)

      Heat reflector

      0.6 oz (17 g)

      Repair tool

      0.3 oz (8 g)

      Stuff sack

      0.8 oz (23 g)

      Product Description:
      The MSR Windpro is a lightweight remote canister stove. The stove
      consists of a 2.75 in (7 cm) burner which is supported by three roughly
      triangular legs. The legs also act as pot supports and give the stove
      an assembled diameter of 5.75 in (15 cm) and a height of 3.5 in (9 cm).
      On the bottom of each leg a 0.5 in (1.2 cm) metal tab is bent at a right
      angle to the leg. These metal tabs can be used for securing the Windpro
      to the MSR Trillium Base which allows for greater stability of the stove
      on uneven ground.

      The fuel tank attaches to the stove via a 10.5 in (27 cm) fuel line
      assembly. The fuel line assembly has a threaded head to accept standard
      fuel canisters. The head also has a needle valve with a triangular
      shaped wire control "knob." In addition the head has two black
      rubber seals, one inside the threaded portion and another around the
      outside of the threads. The fuel line runs through a fixed tube
      attached to one edge of the burner. The allows for increased
      vaporization of the fuel prior to it reaching the jet below the burner

      The stove is folded by simply rotating each leg in a counterclockwise
      direction around the outside of the burner until it reaches the stop
      point. The fuel line assembly can be wrapped around the base of the
      stove to make a fairly compact package.

      Included with the Windpro is a 5.5 in (14cm) by 30 in (76 cm) windscreen
      and a 8.75 in (22 cm) diameter heat reflector which is placed under the
      stove during operation. A tool for disassembling the stove if field
      maintenance is needed is included. The stove also comes with a small [4
      in x 7 in (10 cm x 18 cm)] black stuff sack with the MSR logo which
      closes with a drawstring and cordlock.

      Field Conditions:
      I have used this product for approximately the last eight months on a
      number of weekends trip in southern Pennsylvania and in the George
      Washington National Forest of Virginia. I also used this stove on a
      weeklong trip in central Virginia during June 2006. The elevation on
      these trips varied from 1800 ft to 4000 ft (550 m to 1200 m). The
      temperatures I encountered on these trips ranged anywhere from 35 F to
      85 F (2 C to 29 C). The weather conditions, particularly during my
      weeklong trip, included substantial amounts of rain and otherwise soggy
      conditions. I have not used anything other than MSR IsoPro (80/20
      isobutane/propane) fuel with this stove

      Product Review:
      I typically use a homemade alcohol stove when backpacking but purchased
      the MSR Windpro when I started backpacking with a larger group and
      needed the ability to boil much larger amounts of water. I also
      generally prefer the ease of use of a canister stove over liquid fuel.

      After using the Windpro for the past six months I am happy with its
      performance. The stove performs well given the typical limitations of a
      canister stove. The stove is easy to light and boils a liter of water
      in approximately 5 minutes. One beauty of this stove is that there is
      excellent flame control. The flame is easily adjusted to a simmer with
      a turn of the control knob. Although I have used the stove to boil lots
      of water, I was able to cook pancakes on more than one occasion with the
      stove and felt that I could control the heat perfectly so as not to burn
      the breakfast.

      The size of the burner and supports allows for use of large pots. I
      have used pots as large as 8 qt (8 L) without much difficulty. The
      largest pots need to placed on the stove with care but I felt that the
      stove could handle them without fear of dumping the container. I would
      also point out that when I used pots 6 qt (6 L) or larger, I attached
      the Windpro to an MSR Trillium Base (separate purchase) which helps with
      stability. When using smaller pots, I needed to adjust the flame to the
      size of the pot. If the flame adjustment was too high, the flame would
      be running up the sides of the pot which I felt was not very efficient.

      Boiling times appeared to be fastest when using the bottom heat
      reflector and wind screen. This was particularly the case in colder
      temperatures which was not unexpected. I also observed that the stove
      works well in windy conditions (hence the Windpro name) but needed the
      windscreen for best results in these conditions. As is typical of
      canister stoves, the Windpro performs better in warmer conditions. I
      found that the stove took longer to boil water in colder conditions but
      felt that this was due, in part, to cooling of the canister as fuel is
      used.

      I have had very few problems with the Windpro. The stove is pretty much
      a no brainer. Attach the fuel canister, turn on the gas and light. I
      did have one problem after using the stove for four days straight. My
      group was boiling water in a large pot which seemed to take an
      inordinately long amount of time. I noticed that the stove was quieter
      than normal. After removing the pot I noticed that not much flame was
      being produced. My companions and I were a little perplexed because
      there is not much that can go wrong with the stove. It turned out that
      the stove's jet was clogged and needed cleaning out. The stove
      performed fine after a quick cleaning. I felt that some dirt or food
      got into the jet since the stove burns very cleanly. This experience
      also gave me opportunity to take the stove apart. The burner and leg
      assembly is held together by two screws which can easily be removed, as
      can the jet itself, with the supplied wrench. However, no tool for
      cleaning the jet was included with the stove.

      The remote burner design not only allows for good pot stability but also
      makes flame adjustment easy. The is no worry about burned fingers or
      gloves since the control is a good 10 in (25 cm) away from the burner.
      MSR also suggests that this design allows for use with a backpacking
      oven, however, I have no experience with such an apparatus.

      One minor aspect of the stove that I have had problems with is its shape
      when folded. When collapsed, the stove has an awkward configuration
      which I notice always finds a way to poke me in the back if I don't
      pack it just right.

      The MSR Windpro is an easy to use, light weight remote burner stove.
      The stove can easily handle both a variety of pots sizes and has
      excellent flame control which allow for cooking a wide range of foods.
      The Windpro works well in windy conditions but does have some
      performance problems with in colder conditions.

      Things I like:
      1. Light weight for remote burner stove
      2. Good stability with large pots
      3. Performs well in windy conditions

      4. Excellent flame control

      Things I don't like:
      1. Awkward folded shape
      2. Cold weather performance

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          EDIT/Approval: Owner Review: MSR Windpro - Pat McNeilly

          Hi Patrick,

          Thank you for your Owner Review. Your HTML looks very nice, your
          edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes go ahead and place it in the folder
          here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%
          20WindPro/

          Please check it over first in the test folder again to make sure all
          is well.

          Ray

          EDIT: MSR calls it the "WindPro" please change all instances to
          their version of spelling.

          ***My typical packweight is approximately 18 to 20 lb (8 to 9 kg)
          EDIT: pack weight

          ***The stove is easy to light and boils a liter of water in
          approximately 5 minutes.

          EDIT: needs Imperial conversion (1 quart)

          ***The stove is pretty much a no brainer.

          EDIT: no-brainer
        • mcne4752
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
            Hi Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. It is interesting that my manual for the
            stove lists it as Windpro but the website has it as WindPro. No
            matter it is all fixed now and uploaded. Nice catch.

            Pat