EDIT: Owner Review - Light-Weight R4 Patagonia Fleece

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi Dexter,

      Congratulations on your first step to becoming a BGT tester. This is
      a nice start. I've made some technical corrections as well as a few
      suggestions for additional information that would be helpful to our
      readers. Once you've had a chance to make the changes & appropriate
      additions, please repost it here with REPOST in the subject line.
      I'll grab it for another look before we move to the HTML step and a
      permanent home at BGT.

      Thanks again for the nice start.
      Jim Hatch
      Edit Moderator

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Dexter Bateman"
      <dexterbateman@...> wrote:

      ### Lucky you, you got me as your editor <grin>.

      > Patagonia Lt-Weight R4

      ### According to Patagonia it's "Lightweight R4 Jacket" unless
      you're reporting on the R4 Vest but we don't know that yet.

      > Date: October, 2006

      ### A day is good here...like October 4, 2006

      > summers and cold winters with some ice and snow. I consider myself
      > lightweight hiker, not using ultra light gear, but taking only the
      bare

      ### "ultralight" is a single word

      > *Product Information:*
      >
      > Product: Light-Weight R4 Fleece

      ### "Lightweight R4 Jacket" or "Vest" depending on what this is.

      > Year of Manufacture: 2005

      ### Date acquired?
      ### MSRP?

      > This fleece is very warm, and only receives the title
      > "Light-weight" because it is compared to the even warmer regular
      R4 jacket.

      ### "Lightweight"

      > *Ventilation:*
      >
      > This is one area where the Lt-Weight R4 could use some

      ### "Lightweight"

      > Longer pit zips positioned farther back would be a big improvement
      over the
      > current design.

      ### Does this imply that there are pit zips? If so, where are they
      located that "farther back" would be better? How large are they?

      > *Overall Comments/Concerns:*
      >
      > * *A highly technical fleece suitable for a variety of
      cold
      > weather activities, this fleece is a very good combination of when
      mobility,

      ### This is a little awkwardly worded..."is a very good combination
      of when"...take a look at rewording.

      > warmth and comfort are required. This is a definitely a quality
      piece of
      > clothing, which shows now signs of wear after nearly a year's use.
      One

      ### Any pilling of the fleece from washing?

      > wrist cuffs. The cuffs are elastic on the back side to create a
      tight fit,
      > but these may stretch if I continue to pull the sleeves up my
      forearms. I

      ### Are you supposing this might happen or has it happened and
      you're now being careful not to pull the sleeves up your arms? I'd
      expect if it hasn't happened after a year of frequent use that it's
      not likely to occur.

      > *Good:*
      >
      > - Very warm
      > - Very windproof

      ### How's the water resistance? Ever use it in the rain?
    • Dexter Bateman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        This is my first owner review ever!! Thanks a lot for looking at this!!

        Patagonia Lt-Weight R4

        Owner Review

        October 1, 2006

        *Reviewer Information*

        Name: Dexter Bateman

        Age: 19

        Gender: Male

        Height: 6'5" (1.93 m)

        Weight: 190 lbs (86 kg)

        E-mail: dexterbateman(at)gmail(dot)com

        City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA, United States

        Date: October, 2006

        *Backpacking Background:*

        I started backpacking a few years ago in the Southern
        Appalachians of North Georgia. I take frequent day hikes and go out for a
        few nights on every long weekend available. I usually get to do two or three
        extended, week long hikes per year. The Georgia Mountains are home to hot
        summers and cold winters with some ice and snow. I consider myself a
        lightweight hiker, not using ultra light gear, but taking only the bare
        essentials.

        *Product Information:*

        Product: Light-Weight R4 Fleece

        Manufacturer: Patagonia

        Year of Manufacture: 2005

        Made In: USA

        Listed Weight: 18 oz (510 g)

        Received Weight: 18.2 oz (516 g)

        Size Men's X-Large: Chest: 46-48" (117-122 cm) Neck: 17-17.5"
        (43.18-44.45cm) Sleeve: 36-37" (91-94cm) Waist: 38" (97cm)

        Color Options: Royal/Channel Blue, Sultan Red/Persian Red, Stainless/Whale
        Blue, Black/Whale Blue.

        - Polartec Windbloc laminate
        - Lined with R1 fleece for wicking moisture on the inside
        - Adjustable draw cord collar and hem
        - Hand warmer and chest pockets
        - Internal stow pockets

        *Testing:*

        I have used this fleece for numerous trips since I purchased it
        last fall. I have used it for bumming around chilly Atlanta and two extended
        trips and countless numbers of short hikes on the Appalachian Trail in North
        Georgia. I have also worn the fleece hiking in Washington State hiking in
        Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Parks and day hiking in the White Mountains
        of New Hampshire. Elevations ranged from 500 � 7000 feet (152-2134 m) and
        temperatures from 60-10 degrees F (15.56 to -12.21 degrees C).

        *Warmth*:

        This fleece is very warm, and only receives the title
        "Light-weight" because it is compared to the even warmer regular R4 jacket.
        This jacket has always done a wonderful job of keeping me warm. It offers
        several different levels of warmth from wearing the jacket loosely unzipped
        to cinching down all of the drawstrings and zipping all the way up to the
        collar.

        *Layering/Fit:*

        * *I love the way this jacket fits me. It is trim and feels
        fitted without being too constricting. The sleeves are long enough to extend
        even when stretching my arms out. This fleece also excels at being used with
        a layering system: There is enough room under all joints and sleeves to fit
        base layers comfortably. The fleece also slides nicely under a rain shell.

        I really like the shoulder seams, which have been designed in an
        "s-shape" to avoid having the seams directly under pack straps. This is a
        lifesaver for extended backpacking trips! The collar is also coated with
        Supplex, so it fits nicely around my neck without being too rigid.

        *Windproofness:*

        This is the first windproof fleece I have ever owned. I did not
        really understand the meaning of windproof until I really needed it.
        Ridge-walking in the Presidential Range in New Hampshire is definitely the
        place to test a windproof fleece. The wind blows mercilessly through the
        gulfs and on top of all of the exposed peaks. I would put this fleece on as
        soon as I got into the Alpine zone on every hike and I never felt the wind!
        The main zipper is backed with a Supplex liner, so none of the wind can
        sneak in anywhere. It is incredible!

        *Ventilation:*

        This is one area where the Lt-Weight R4 could use some
        improvement. The torso zippers open into large mesh pockets on the inside of
        the jacket. It definitely makes a difference to open up these zippers, but
        on a long uphill climb in cold weather, I find myself building up moisture
        on the inside. The underarms are made of unlamented R1 fleece which provides
        excellent breathability. This is, however, the one weak point of the
        windproofness: if I lift up my arms, the wind can penetrate this area.
        Longer pit zips positioned farther back would be a big improvement over the
        current design.

        *Overall Comments/Concerns:*

        * *A highly technical fleece suitable for a variety of cold
        weather activities, this fleece is a very good combination of when mobility,
        warmth and comfort are required. This is a definitely a quality piece of
        clothing, which shows now signs of wear after nearly a year's use. One
        improvement that could be made, however, is a better method a sealing the
        wrist cuffs. The cuffs are elastic on the back side to create a tight fit,
        but these may stretch if I continue to pull the sleeves up my forearms. I
        would really like to see a Velcro type closure for these cuffs. I look
        forward to bringing this jacket on all of my cold weather excursions this
        winter!

        *Good:*

        - Very warm
        - Very windproof
        - High quality
        - Great fit

        *Could be better:*

        - Ventilation**
        - Wrist cuffs **

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2006
          Dexter is this a repost? If so please resubmit it to the list with
          the word REPOST in the subject line along with the item name. I
          need to know so I can list it properly in the Edit Queue.

          Thanks
          Jamie D
          Edit Admin Manager