Owner Review: Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort

  • kholling55
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Owner Review: Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort

      Date: 1 Oct 2006

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address: kholling55@... <mailto:kholling55@...>
      City, State, Country: Williamsburg, Virginia. USA

      I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent 20
      years in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors adventures.
      I have mostly gone camping and then day-hiking in the surrounding area,
      but have been on a few multi-day hiking trips. While day-hiking, I
      normally carry a light load, a waist pack with mostly food and water,
      with a few other things. On three to four day trips, I will carry a pack
      weighing about 45 - 50 lb (21 - 23 kg). I have been hiking in Colorado,
      Korea, Egypt, and most recently Shenandoah.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Therm-A-Rest
      Year of Manufacture: Approximately 2005

      Listed Specifications (Mat):

      Weight: 51 oz. (1445g)

      Rolled Size: 26 x 5.1 in. (66 x 13 cm)
      Length: 77 in (196 cm)
      Width: 25 In (63 Cm)

      R-Value: 5

      Thickness: 2 in. (5 cm)

      Stuff Sack

      Weight: 2 oz. (57g)

      Dimensions: 6.5 x 28.5in. (16.5 x 72 cm)

      Note: All measurements are mine (unless otherwise specified)
      Weight: 45.12 lbs (1279.13 g)

      Rolled Size: 26.0 x 6.5 in (66.0 x 16.5 cm)

      Length: 77.0 in (195.6 cm)
      Width: 25.5 in (57.2 cm)

      Size: Large
      Color: Sitka Green
      MSRP: $79.95 (Mat), $10.95 (Stuff sack)

      The mat was shipped to me in a box, with the mat covered in a plastic
      film. The stuff sack was purchased separately and came attached to a
      cardboard card.

      * Durable 150-denier rip-stop nylon offers superior durability
      for years of use
      * Low-slip bottom keeps pad from sliding around

      The stuff sack features include:

      * water-resistant
      * daisy chain and end handle for easy unpacking and portability
      * Made from70D nylon taffeta

      I have used the Trail Comfort on five trips this year. These have
      included camping trips in both built-up campsites and backcountry sites.
      These sites have all been in Virginia, mainly the Shenandoah National
      Park and in areas around the eastern coast of Virginia. All trips were
      conducted with a three season tent, ground tarp and a sleeping bag rated
      at 20 F (-7 C). One trip was conducted in February, with weather
      conditions changing from clear to rain and then snow. The temperature
      ranged from 20 to 50 F (-7 to 10 C). The other trips were conducted in
      the spring and fall with temperatures as low as 60 F (15 C) and as high
      as 105 F (41 C), and in mostly dry condition with some dampness at night
      and in the morning. The terrain has included mountains, with altitudes
      around 3000 ft (914 m), and in wooded and clear type areas at around sea
      level.

      I normally do not use a sleeping mat. I have used both a non
      self-inflating pad and foam pad in the past, but have found them tedious
      and on the most part worthless. With the Trail Comfort I was
      surprisingly pleased. It was easy to use, just lay out the mat with the
      valve open, and let it go to work. You do need to make sure it is fully
      inflated, but that usually only takes a few breaths. I was comfortable
      when lying on the mat, even though the ground was not totally level and
      free of obtrusions. The mat kept the ground dampness from me, even in
      the unexpected bad weather. There were no holes or leakage during any
      of the trips. When I woke up, I was not stiff or sore. When breaking
      camp, you open the valve and roll up the mat. It usually takes a few
      rolling, unrolling and rolling again to get the mat small enough for the
      stuff sack, but the mat fitted well in the sack. The stuff sack fits
      well on the exterior of most backpack and kept the mat from getting wet.
      The mat performed extremely well on all the trips.

      The only problems with the mat, was the narrowness of the mat, the
      storage space required, and the price. The mat was a little narrow for
      me. Depending on how I slept, at times part of me may be off the mat. I
      wish that they had a wider size. The mat needs to be unrolled and laid
      flat for storage. This could be a problem if you don't have a large
      home or storage place. I worked around this by storing it under my bed.
      The mat does not come with the stuff sack. It must be purchased
      separately. It is not necessary to have the stuff sack, but in my
      opinion, you will need the stuff sack. It keeps the mat rolled and
      protects the mat from the environment during transport. $90 may be steep
      for someone on a tight budget.

      Summary

      I was quite pleased with the Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort. It actually
      changed my mind on using a mat while backpacking and camping.

      Things I like:

      * Ease of use
      * Comfort
      * Weight

      Things I don't like:

      * Stuff sack was not included
      * Width to narrow for my taste
      * Space required for storage

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2006
          EDIT: Owner Review: Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort Kevin H

          Hi Kevin,

          When posting you should put your name in the subject line. There is
          another review of the same pad right now and it helps avoid
          confusion.

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow.
          They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line.

          Ray

          ***Product Information

          EDIT: you should put in here that the size you are reviewing is the
          Large as it comes in two sizes which a very different.

          ***Stuff Sack
          Weight: 2 oz. (57g)
          Dimensions: 6.5 x 28.5in. (16.5 x 72 cm)

          EDIT: As the review is of the pad you should take this info out of
          the Product Info. I always incorporate this into the body of my
          review somehow so as to still share the info. Like, "I also
          purchased the optional ##.# oz stuff sack to carry it in."

          * Durable 150-denier rip-stop nylon offers superior durability
          for years of use
          * Low-slip bottom keeps pad from sliding around

          EDIT: This is not enough of a product description Kevin. Tell us
          about it. What kind of valve does it have? Plastic, metal? What
          side? Which end? What does the fabric feel like to the touch? Read
          some other pad reviews to get an idea.

          ***I have used the Trail Comfort on five trips this year.

          EDIT: This is fine but give this paragraph a "Field Conditions"
          header. After it you could use a "Field Use" or "Observations" or
          such as a header for the next section.

          ***You do need to make sure it is fully inflated, but that usually
          only takes a few breaths.

          EDIT: We don't use "you" in our reviews as it is projecting. Replace
          with "I" please. Look for all instances of this.

          ***but the mat fitted well in the sack.

          EDIT: fits

          ***The stuff sack fits well on the exterior of most backpack and
          kept the mat from getting wet.

          EDIT: unless you own most backpacks you can't say that. You can
          say "most of my backpacks" or "all of my backpacks" if you have more
          than one, or just "my backpack" if not.

          ***$90 may be steep for someone on a tight budget.

          EDIT: this is projecting again. Suffice to say that you find it a
          bit pricey for yourself.