OR - Mountain Designs Lexan Flask

  • sportjamos
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      Owner Review - Mountain Designs Lexan Flask

      Date of Review: 20 September 2006

      Personal Information

      Name: Jamie Lawrence
      Age: 25
      Height: 1.70 m (5.74 ft)
      Weight: 70 kg (154 lb)
      Email: lawrenj6@...
      City: Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA

      Backpacking Background

      I was introduced to bushwalking/tramping/hiking around 13 years ago
      as a young child scouting and though my school physical/adventure
      education. After leaving school, I mainly did short daywalks until
      recently when I have started to again re-walk some of Tasmania's key
      hiking routes and try walks I have yet to attempt. I mainly walk in
      the winter months, in Tasmania's central highlands areas. I prefer
      light gear, extended walks (3-5 days) in a group of 3 or shorter
      walks (1-3 days) walking solo.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Mountain Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Model: 1 Litre (33 fl oz)
      Manufacturers URL: http://www.mountaindesigns.com.au
      MRSP: Not Stated

      Product Description

      The Mountain Designs (MD) lexan flask is a versatile wide mouth
      canister designed for carrying liquids, although it may be possible
      to carry powders, but this has not been tested. It has a capacity of
      1 Litre (33 fl oz). The flask has a screw top lid that is connected
      to the body of the flask with a retaining loop attached to the top of
      the lid and mouth of the flask. When screwed shut, the flask is
      completely water tight.

      This flask is constructed from blue transparent lexan, a
      polycarbonate plastic. As well as being water tight, this flask is
      incredibly strong and also has limited thermo properties.

      Field Description

      I have used the flask on many trips, the most recent were a trip to
      Mt Field National Park (Tasmania) and a trip to the Walls of
      Jerusalem National Park (Tasmania).

      The Mt Field National Park is also located in Southern Tasmania,
      Australia (aprox 90 km, 56 miles, north-west of Hobart) and is
      characterized by it's alpine and sub-alpine vegetation and
      geological/glacial landforms. At the time of the walk (August 2006)
      it was a lovely sunny day, with a light breeze. The temperature
      ranged from around 10 C (50 F) during the day to around -5 C (23 F)
      overnight. I did not carry a thermometer on the walk to confirm these
      estimates. Our camps where at various points within the park, at
      altitudes ranging from 1,250 m (4,101 ft) to 1,350 m (4,429 ft) above
      sea level.

      The Walls of Jerusalem National Park forms part of Tasmania's World
      Heritage Area in the Tasmanian central highlands. Containing many
      ancient stands of Pencil Pine with specimens over 1,000 years old, it
      is a spectular alpine environment accessible only by walking tracks.
      The park is dominated by the major peaks of Mount Jerusalem (1,459 m,
      4,787 ft) and King David's Peak (1,499 m, 4,918 ft). During the time
      of the walk (September 2006) the days were sunny with temperatures
      during the day of around 13 C (55 F) dipping to a chilly -7 C (19 F)
      at night. Once again, I did not carry a thermometer on the walk to
      confirm these estimates.

      Field Use

      The MD flask was used as a transport flask for water or sweetened
      drinks on both of these trips. I prefer to leave the flask in a side
      pocket on my pack to make access easy. On both of the above trips,
      there was plenty of drinkable water available from streams or lakes
      so there was no need to carry water with us. When we required water
      (to drink, cook or mix up some sweeter drink) I would simply take the
      flask from the side of my pack, open the lid and place the open mouth
      into a stream where fast water flowed. Depending on the speed of the
      water flow, the flask fills within seconds. Due to it's wide mouth
      design, there is no issues with the air escaping which also improves
      filling time. Given the large lid retaining loop, it is possible to
      fill the flask without getting your hands wet by holding the lid and
      lowering the flask into the stream. This is a welcome bonus given the
      extremely cold water tempratures.

      With this flask nearly always being on the outside of my pack, even
      when the weather is sunny, the contents stays cool for quite some
      time. When at the Walls, the water from a stream was almost too cold
      to drink after nearly an hour after it was collected. My walking
      partner filled an aluminum flask at the same time and it's contents
      was noticeably warmer then that from the MD flask at the same point
      in time. Although I have never used this flask to hold a hot
      contents, I anticipate that these same thermo qualities would be
      observed with heat retention.

      At various points through these trips, the MD flask held water or
      flavored beverages. When the flask was to be refilled, a simple rinse
      in water removes all evidence of taste and smell of the previous
      contents. This is combined with no noticeable 'plastic' taste, which
      is always unwanted.

      It was with horror at one point when the MD flask dislodged from my
      pack and took a rather big tumble onto the rocky path below. Apart
      from some minor scratching, there was no damage to the flask at all.
      At the time of the drop, the flask was full, so it is fair to say it
      held it's maximum water weight and would withstand future impacts.

      Summary

      The MD flask is now a core piece of equipment and I use it on every
      trip where I plan to carry or collect water. The wide mouth makes it
      easy to fill, and it's thermo properties are an added bonus. When I
      purchased the flask the price was comparable to that of a similar
      size aluminum flask. I have recently purchased another flask with a
      slightly smaller volume so I would definitely consider purchasing
      this product in the future.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hello Jamie,

          Your first edit is below. Please repost when complete, in the usual
          manner (REPOST in subject line). A good piece of work. Please do watch
          the use of "its." The apostrophe is only used when this is an
          abbreviation for "it is."

          I'm also posting separately (following this message) some instructions
          on the use of Word for the preparation of HTML, as these are of
          general utility. Roger Caffin prepared these some while ago, and all
          credit goes to him! I'm hoping you may find this eases the HTML
          preparation process a bit, when we get to that stage (shortly).

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Owner Review - Mountain Designs Lexan Flask
          >
          > Date of Review: 20 September 2006
          >
          > Personal Information
          >
          > Name: Jamie Lawrence
          > Age: 25
          > Height: 1.70 m (5.74 ft)
          > Weight: 70 kg (154 lb)
          > Email: lawrenj6@...
          > City: Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA
          >
          > Backpacking Background
          >
          > I was introduced to bushwalking/tramping/hiking around 13 years ago
          > as a young child scouting and though my school physical/adventure
          > education. After leaving school, I mainly did short daywalks until
          > recently when I have started to again re-walk some of Tasmania's key
          > hiking routes and try walks I have yet to attempt. I mainly walk in
          > the winter months, in Tasmania's central highlands areas. I prefer
          > light gear, extended walks (3-5 days) in a group of 3 or shorter
          > walks (1-3 days) walking solo.

          ### COMMENT: I don't think I asked this last edit, but if you can
          provide a base packweight (i.e. before food and water) that would be good.

          > Product Information
          >
          > Manufacturer: Mountain Designs
          > Year of Manufacture: 2006
          > Model: 1 Litre

          ### EDIT: litre [no cap]. I usually abbreviate, but in fact this is
          one that it doesn't hurt to spell out, as the abbreviation looks like
          the numeral 1

          (33 fl oz)
          > Manufacturers URL: http://www.mountaindesigns.com.au
          > MRSP: Not Stated
          >
          > Product Description
          >
          > The Mountain Designs (MD) lexan flask is a versatile wide mouth
          > canister designed for carrying liquids, although it may be possible
          > to carry powders, but this has not been tested. It has a capacity of
          > 1 Litre

          ### EDIT: litre

          (33 fl oz). The flask has a screw top lid that is connected
          > to the body of the flask with a retaining loop attached to the top of
          > the lid and mouth of the flask. When screwed shut, the flask is
          > completely water tight.
          >
          > This flask is constructed from blue transparent lexan, a
          > polycarbonate plastic. As well as being water tight, this flask is
          > incredibly strong and also has limited thermo properties.
          >
          > Field Description
          >
          > I have used the flask on many trips, the most recent were a trip to
          > Mt Field National Park (Tasmania) and a trip to the Walls of
          > Jerusalem National Park (Tasmania).
          >
          > The Mt Field National Park is also located in Southern Tasmania,
          > Australia (aprox 90 km, 56 miles

          ### EDIT: 56 mi

          , north-west of Hobart) and is
          > characterized by it's

          ### EDIT: its

          alpine and sub-alpine vegetation and
          > geological/glacial landforms. At the time of the walk (August 2006)
          > it was a lovely sunny day, with a light breeze. The temperature
          > ranged from around 10 C (50 F) during the day to around -5 C (23 F)
          > overnight. I did not carry a thermometer on the walk to confirm these
          > estimates. Our camps where at various points within the park, at
          > altitudes ranging from 1,250 m (4,101 ft) to 1,350 m (4,429 ft) above
          > sea level.
          >
          > The Walls of Jerusalem National Park forms part of Tasmania's World
          > Heritage Area in the Tasmanian central highlands. Containing many
          > ancient stands of Pencil Pine with specimens over 1,000 years old, it
          > is a spectular alpine environment accessible only by walking tracks.
          > The park is dominated by the major peaks of Mount Jerusalem (1,459 m,
          > 4,787 ft) and King David's Peak (1,499 m, 4,918 ft). During the time
          > of the walk (September 2006) the days were sunny with temperatures
          > during the day of around 13 C (55 F) dipping to a chilly -7 C (19 F)
          > at night. Once again, I did not carry a thermometer on the walk to
          > confirm these estimates.
          >
          > Field Use
          >
          > The MD flask was used as a transport flask for water or sweetened
          > drinks on both of these trips. I prefer to leave the flask in a side
          > pocket on my pack to make access easy. On both of the above trips,
          > there was plenty of drinkable water available from streams or lakes
          > so there was no need to carry water with us. When we required water
          > (to drink, cook or mix up some sweeter drink) I would simply take the
          > flask from the side of my pack, open the lid and place the open mouth
          > into a stream where fast water flowed. Depending on the speed of the
          > water flow, the flask fills within seconds. Due to it's

          ### EDIT: its

          wide mouth
          > design, there is no issues with the air escaping which also improves
          > filling time. Given the large lid retaining loop, it is possible to
          > fill the flask without getting your

          ### EDIT: my

          hands wet by holding the lid and
          > lowering the flask into the stream. This is a welcome bonus given the
          > extremely cold water tempratures.
          >
          > With this flask nearly always being on the outside of my pack, even
          > when the weather is sunny, the contents stays cool for quite some
          > time. When at the Walls, the water from a stream was almost too cold
          > to drink after nearly an hour after it was collected. My walking
          > partner filled an aluminum flask at the same time and it's

          ### EDIT: its

          contents
          > was

          ### EDIT were

          noticeably warmer then that

          ### EDIT: those

          from the MD flask at the same point
          > in time. Although I have never used this flask to hold a

          ### EDIT: drop "a"

          hot
          > contents, I anticipate that these same thermo

          ### EDIT: thermal

          qualities would be
          > observed with heat retention.
          >
          > At various points through these trips, the MD flask held water or
          > flavored beverages. When the flask was to be refilled, a simple rinse
          > in water removes all evidence of taste and smell of the previous
          > contents. This is combined with no noticeable 'plastic' taste, which
          > is always unwanted.
          >
          > It was with horror at one point when the MD flask dislodged from my
          > pack and took a rather big tumble onto the rocky path below. Apart
          > from some minor scratching, there was no damage to the flask at all.
          > At the time of the drop, the flask was full, so it is fair to say it
          > held it's

          ### EDIT: its

          maximum water weight and would withstand future impacts.

          > Summary
          >
          > The MD flask is now a core piece of equipment and I use it on every
          > trip where I plan to carry or collect water. The wide mouth makes it
          > easy to fill, and it's

          ### EDIT: its

          thermo

          ### EDIT: thermal

          properties are an added bonus. When I
          > purchased the flask the price was comparable to that of a similar
          > size aluminum flask. I have recently purchased another flask with a
          > slightly smaller volume so I would definitely consider purchasing
          > this product in the future.

        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
            Jamie,

            I noted three more small issues. I could catch them next round, but
            prefer to deal with them now.

            > This flask is constructed from blue transparent lexan, a
            > polycarbonate plastic. As well as being water tight, this flask is
            > incredibly strong and also has limited thermo properties.

            ### EDIT: watertight [not water tight]. Lexan is a proprietary name,
            so the initial L needs to be capitalized. Finally, thermo isn't a
            word, just a prefix (as noted elsewhere in the initial edit). This
            should read "limited thermal properties" presumably, but you should
            explain precisely what you mean by this.

            Best,

            Ted.