Owner Review Asolo TPS 520 GTX Boots

  • Robert Troutman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2006
      Asolo Hiking boots TPS 520 GTX

      Tester Bio

      Name: Robert Troutman
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’2’’ (1.88 meters)
      Weight: 178 Lbs (81kg)
      Email Address: my3bees@...
      City, State, Country: Sandy, Utah, United States of America
      Date: July 30, 2006

      Backpacking Background: I began backpacking at age 14 in Colorado doing weekend trips in mountainous Terrain. I backpacked quite often from the ages of 14 to 21. I have just recently returned to hiking and camping with my family in tow. I have 5 year old triplet’s two boys and one girl. We do weekend hikes at this point in the mountains of Utah. My pack is typically moderate in weight and hikes are generally short between 2 to 6 miles. On occasions I do get opportunity to do longer hikes in mostly mountains terrain. I really like summit hikes that require little climbing experience.

      Product Information

      Manufactory Asolo
      Year of Manufactory 2005
      URL www.Asolo.com
      Listed weight 2.2Lb or 1.00kg each
      Weight as delivered 2.2Lb or 1.00kg each

      Product Description
      The Asolo TPS 520 GTX is a full grain leather boot with a gusseted tongue, Vibram sole and Gore-Tex liner.

      I purchased the Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots because I was seeking a sturdy comfortable boot which I hope will provide years of comfort. I have a low volume foot and had a hard time finding a boot which would fit my feet well. When I tried the Asolo boot I was very pleased that the boot held my feet in place so well. I was also surprised by how comfortable they were without being broken in. The boots came in a standard shoe box with tissue paper in the boots. The box also had a Gore-Tex guarantee card that states Gore-Tex will stand behind the waterproof and breathability of the footwear.
      The boots appear to be well constructed they are brown in color with a black tongue which is well padded and protected by a thick layer of leather. These boots came with nylon boot strings which thread through a series of five metal shoe string holders one on each side that lead to three speed loops for ankle support. Overall the boots look well made and of high quality.

      Field Information

      My first test of the Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots was in May 2006 in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains the temperature was around 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit (15 to 21 degrees Celsius) on a bright sunny day. The trail started at about 7000 feet (2100 meters) and goes up to about 8700 feet (2600 meters) in elevation. The trail in May was wet from spring run off and changed to snow pack for the rest of the hike. I was very pleased with well these boots felt walking on the snow pack they provided excellent support and traction on the melting compact snow. I did have to stop a few times to remove snow that got into the top of the boots. My feet remained dry and comfortable throughout the hike. The boots performed well and were quite comfortable. The only “breaking in” I did with these boots was walking around the house for two days. I have since gone on several more hikes in the Wasatch Mountains and the boots have been very comfortable at every temperature and condition I have
      experienced. The only time I had occasion to truly test the boot water resistant capabilities was on July 23, 2006 at Great Basin National Park, Nevada. I was hiking at an elevation around 10,000 feet (3000 meters) when a thunderstorm brought heavy rain and hail for about two hours. I walked down the rain drenched trail and had no problems stomping through puddle after puddle from anywhere form ½ an inch (1cm) of water up to about 4 inches (10cm)of water and the boots remained dry inside. I was very please with their performance.

      I have been on at least seven hikes wearing these boots since May and they have not disappointed me. All of these hikes have been done in mountainous terrain they have been through snow, rain and hail but in primarily dry conditions. The leather is a little scratched up, but other than that they are in great shape and have not shown much signs of breaking down. The only area I see a sign of breaking down is at the top of the boot were the lining of the tongue of the boot is stitched to the leather top of the boot it looks like one of the stitches is broken. These boots have provided very good traction on dry dirt, loose gravel, rain and snow. I believe these boots are an excellent choice for hiking in mountainous terrain.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hello Robert,

          Thank you for your OR. Your initial edits follow. They are fairly
          numerous, but generally not major. Please make these, and send the
          result back to the list, substituting "REPOST" in the subject line
          where "EDIT" is currently.

          I did note that you have not really discussed the soles of your boots.
          A paragraph on these would be a very useful addition to the text. How
          heavily lugged are they? Are they a standard Vibram sole which any
          cobbler can replace, or a custom-made sole which needs special
          equipment (many of Asolo's soles fall in this category). How well does
          it grip wet and dry rock? And so on... The fit and comfort of the boot
          is very important, and you discuss this, but the quality of the sole
          is also an issue.

          In all, I thought this was a very good start, though!

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Asolo Hiking boots TPS 520 GTX

          ### EDIT: Owner Review
          Asolo hiking boots TPS 520 GTX

          [specify owner review in title; hiking doesn't need to be capitalized]

          > Backpacking Background: I began backpacking at age 14 in Colorado
          doing weekend trips in mountainous Terrain. I backpacked quite often
          from the ages of 14 to 21. I have just recently returned to hiking and
          camping with my family in tow. I have 5 year old triplet's two boys
          and one girl. We do weekend hikes at this point in the mountains of
          Utah. My pack is typically moderate in weight and hikes are generally
          short between 2 to 6 miles. On occasions I do get opportunity to do
          longer hikes in mostly mountains terrain. I really like summit hikes
          that require little climbing experience.

          ### EDIT: If you could put a numerical value to that packweight,
          before food and water, it would be helpful.

          One further thing. Bios tend to be retained from review to review. You
          write:

          "I have just recently returned to hiking and camping with my family in
          tow. I have 5 year old triplet's two boys and one girl. We do weekend
          hikes at this point in the mountains of Utah."

          The first sentence above is already out of date, and should be
          dropped. You'll need to remember to update your children's ages. Of
          course, with triplets (wow) this is easy!

          > Product Information
          >
          > Manufactory Asolo
          > Year of Manufactory 2005

          ### EDIT:

          Manufacturer: Asolo
          Year of manufacture: 2005

          > URL www.Asolo.com
          > Listed weight 2.2Lb or 1.00kg each
          > Weight as delivered 2.2Lb or 1.00kg each

          ###EDIT: Listed weight 2.2 lb or 1.0 kg each
          Weight as delivered 2.2 lb or 1.0 kg each

          Please note the correct spacing of number and unit of measure, and the
          abbreviation of pound does not need a cap

          ### EDIT: Also needed here is your shoe size, and the color of the
          boots (brown)?

          > Product Description
          > The Asolo TPS 520 GTX is a full grain leather boot with a gusseted
          tongue, Vibram sole and Gore-Tex liner.

          > I purchased the Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots because I was seeking a
          sturdy comfortable boot which I hope will provide years of comfort. I
          have a low volume foot and had a hard time finding a boot which would
          fit my feet well. When I tried the Asolo boot I was very pleased that
          the boot held my feet in place so well. I was also surprised by how
          comfortable they were without being broken in. The boots came in a
          standard shoe box with tissue paper in the boots.

          ### EDIT: Packaging is not really necessary information unless out of
          the ordinary, certainly not to the point of specifying the tissue paper.

          The box also had a Gore-Tex guarantee card that states Gore-Tex will
          stand behind the waterproof and breathability of the footwear.
          > The boots appear to be well constructed they

          ### EDIT: ...constructed. They... [open new sentence]

          are brown in color with a black tongue which is well padded and
          protected by a thick layer of leather. These boots came with nylon
          boot strings

          ### EDIT: bootlaces [not strings]

          which thread through a series of five metal shoe string holders one
          on each side that lead to three speed loops for ankle support. Overall
          the boots look well made and of high quality.

          > Field Information
          >
          > My first test of the Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots was in May 2006 in
          Utah's Wasatch Mountains the

          ### EDIT: ...Mountains. The... [new sentence]

          temperature was around 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit (15 to 21 degrees
          Celsius)

          ### EDIT: There's no need to spell this out in full, or state degrees
          (which are implied). More Customary would be "...60 to 70 F (15 to 21
          C)...

          on a bright sunny day. The trail started at about 7000 feet (2100 meters)

          ### EDIT: 7000 ft (2100 m) [also correct the next measurement]

          and goes up to about 8700 feet (2600 meters) in elevation. The trail
          in May was wet from spring run off

          ### EDIT: runoff

          and changed to snow pack for the rest of the hike. I was very pleased
          with well

          ### EDIT at how well [instead of "with well"]

          these boots felt walking on the snow pack they

          ### EDIT: ...pack. They... [new sentence]

          provided excellent support and traction on the melting compact snow.
          I did have to stop a few times to remove snow that got into the top of
          the boots.

          ### COMMENT: This is a less an issue with the boot than the fact that
          you were presumably not wearing gaiters?

          My feet remained dry and comfortable throughout the hike. The boots
          performed well and were quite comfortable. The only "breaking in" I
          did with these boots was walking around the house for two days. I
          have since gone on several more hikes in the Wasatch Mountains and the
          boots have been very comfortable at every temperature and condition I have
          > experienced.

          ### EDIT: new paragraph

          The only time I had occasion to truly test the boot water resistant
          capabilities was on July 23, 2006 at Great Basin National Park,
          Nevada. I was hiking at an elevation around 10,000 feet (3000 meters)

          ### EDIT: correct measurement as noted above

          when a thunderstorm brought heavy rain and hail for about two hours.
          I walked down the rain drenched trail and had no problems stomping
          through puddle after puddle from anywhere form ½ an inch (1cm) of
          water up to about 4 inches (10cm)

          ### EDIT: ...from .5 in (1 cm) up to about 4 in (10 cm)

          of water

          ### EDIT: I'd drop "of water"--it's implied by "puddle" in this context

          and the boots remained dry inside. I was very please

          ### EDIT: pleased

          with their performance.

          > I have been on at least seven hikes wearing these boots since May
          and they have not disappointed me. All of these hikes have been done
          in mountainous terrain they

          ### EDIT: ...terrain. They... [new sentence]

          have been through snow, rain and hail but in primarily dry
          conditions. The leather

          ### EDIT: of the boots

          is a little scratched up, but other than that they are in great shape
          and have not shown much signs of breaking down. The only area I see a
          sign of breaking down

          ### EDIT: instead of repeating "breaking down," maybe "deterioration"

          is at the top of the boot were

          ### EDIT: "where"

          the lining of the tongue of the boot is stitched to the leather top
          of the boot it looks like one of the stitches is broken. These boots
          have provided very good traction on dry dirt, loose gravel, rain and
          snow. I believe these boots are an excellent choice for hiking in
          mountainous terrain.

          ### EDIT: You really need a summary paragraph here. You could take
          from "These boots" on and add a few sentences to that.