re OR - CamelBak StowAway - Mike Lipay

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      > > > ***I spotted the CamelBak StoAway with the other hydration packs and
      > > > read it's hang tag.
      > > EDIT: its
      > This is the possessive form of "it" and required an apostrophe, not a
      > plural form:
      > "Possessive nouns usually indicate ownership, as in Tim's hat or the
      > lawyer's desk." from my college writer.

      Isn't the English language wonderful?
      Note the word <usually> in the sentence you quoted Mike. It means there are exceptions. It's these exceptions which
      decorate (some might say dominate) our language, to the sheer utter frustration of so many. The form <it's> is used as a
      contraction of <it is>, so the possessive form has to be simply <its>. Don't ask why: it just is so.
      :-)

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
        No bashing you in particular, but it isn't necessary for everyone to
        jump in and reiterate the same point. Once is sufficient.

        Mike

        On Sep 3, 2006, at 5:54 AM, Roger Caffin wrote:

        >>> EDIT: its
        >> This is the possessive form of "it" and required an apostrophe, not a
        >> plural form:
        >> "Possessive nouns usually indicate ownership, as in Tim's hat or the
        >> lawyer's desk." from my college writer.
        >
        > Isn't the English language wonderful?
        > Note the word <usually> in the sentence you quoted Mike. It means
        > there are exceptions. It's these exceptions which
        > decorate (some might say dominate) our language, to the sheer utter
        > frustration of so many. The form <it's> is used as a
        > contraction of <it is>, so the possessive form has to be simply
        > <its>. Don't ask why: it just is so.
        > :-)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Roger Caffin
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
          Yahoo message issues rather than repetition, I'd wager.

          Ted.