Member Comment: OR - Coast LED-Lenser V² 6 Chip Dual Col or Tactical Torch, Model: LL7736D

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      An interesting unit --- I think I’ll stick with something I can wear on my
      head, but I like the two colors of light feature. FWIW, what I do for that
      is carry as my backup light --- rather than spare batteries --- a 9 gram led
      “keychain flashlight” with a red LED,
      http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/miscOrder.html#LED

      It seems likely to me that (at least one of) the reason(s) for the red light
      on your unit is to preserve the user’s night vision. (per Wikipedia, for
      example: “Rhodopsin in the human rods is insensitive to the longer red
      wavelengths <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelengths> of light, so many
      people use red light to preserve night vision as it will not deplete the
      eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell>
      and instead is viewed by the cones <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell>
      .”)

      I’m a bit surprised at the big difference between listed weight with battery
      and measured weight with battery --- might be worth a comment (explanation
      if possible) in the OR? Perhaps the assembled weight leaves off some
      piece(s) that are in the listed weight; if so, I suggest this be made really
      clear.

      I suggest some alternate wording to “multi colored” under the “things I
      like” --- to make it clear (I think anyway) that you’re talking about the
      color of light emitted, and not the color(s) of the flashlight. Ditto I’d
      expand “battery pack” under “things I don’t like” with at least a couple
      more words to connect back to what you don’t like about it (presumeably the
      challenge of changing batteries in the dark).

      Brian Lewis

      _____

      Date: 20 Aug 2006

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking and camping when I was
      in the Cub Scouts and then continued on into Boy Scouts. I spent 20
      years in the military, which curtailed much of my personal outdoors
      adventures, but not the military type. I have been mostly day hiking
      and camping and then hiking. I have been hiking in Colorado, (Pikes
      Peak area), Korea, Egypt and most recently Shenandoah. My kids are
      now older and we plan to do more trips, especially in the mountain
      areas on the east coast.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Coast Cutlery
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Note: All measurements are actual (unless otherwise specified)
      Listed weight with battery: 6.2 ounces (175.77 grams)
      Weight assembled with battery and carrier: 4 ounces (113.4 grams)
      Weight assembled with battery: 3.3 ounces (93.44 grams)
      Length: 3.875 in (9.842 cm)
      Width: 1 in (2.54 cm)
      Battery Type: AAA (Alkaline included)
      Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): None listed.
      Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): About seventy hours with alkaline
      battery.
      Power Output: 62.3 mW
      Illumination distance: about 11 ft (3.1 m) red light/25 ft (7.6 m)
      white light

      Coast LED-Lenser V² 6 Chip Dual Color Tactical Torch comes in a
      plastic shrink pack that includes the flashlight, a plastic battery
      pack, three alkaline batteries, a sheath with a carabineer clip, and a
      lanyard. The lanyard is about 7.88 in (20.00 cm) in length and the
      carabineer clip is .19 in (.478 cm) diameter and 1.94 in (4.92 cm) in
      length. The V² has the following features:

      • Cloverleaf Reflector Tube System
      • 5 high-intensity white light chips
      • 1 high-intensity red light chip
      • 24 ct. gold contacts
      • Tactical lightweight aluminum casing
      • Dual switch on/off system
      • Lifetime Warranty

      The V² uses three AAA batteries. The batteries are mounted into a
      battery pack and then installed by unscrewing the head and inserting
      the battery pack into the body of the flashlight. The 5 high-intensity
      white light chips and the high-intensity red light chip can be used
      separately or simultaneously, through the use of the two on/off
      switches. The switches are colored coded for the modes and the red
      switch has ridges to identify the switch in low light situations. The
      body and head is aluminum. The head contains the LEDs and is screwed
      into the body. Between the head and the body, there is an o-ring that
      is used to prevent moisture from entering the body.

      I have used the V² on many trips in the past two years. These have
      included camping trips in both built-up campsites and backcountry
      sites. These sites have all been in Virginia, mainly the Shenandoah
      National park and in areas around the eastern coast of Virginia. I
      have found the V² to be both dependable and durable. The V² is great
      for general camp uses in either the red light or white light mode. The
      red light is best suited for close in work, such as reading, finding
      something in a back or tent, or for a momentary flash of light. The
      white light is best suited for night hiking or for lighting up a large
      area. The drawback for the white light mode is that the beam is too
      spread out and can not be focused on a single area. The mode switches
      are easily to identify in light, but in the dark, the switches feel
      the same, even though there are ridges on the red switch. The long
      battery life is a plus, but if the battery go out, it would be
      difficult to change the batteries under a low light or no light
      condition. The batteries are placed into a battery pack that hold
      three AAA batteries and then placed into the flashlight body. This
      would be no easy task in the dark.

      The light is advertised for use in extreme environments. I have
      dropped it on hard surfaces and used it in different environments. The
      environment has include temperatures as low as 20 deg F (-6.66 deg C)
      to 105 deg F (40.55 deg C), and in wet and dry condition .It has taken
      a lot of punishment and I have never had a problem. It has not been
      advertised as water resistant, but I have used it in many wet
      environments and seem pretty waterproof.

      The lanyard fits around the hand comfortably and the case can be
      clipped to almost anything by using the carabineer that comes with the
      light. The case can also be attached to a belt using the loop.

      Summary

      Overall I am quite pleased with the Coast LED-Lenser V². It has been
      dependable and durable, and it always worked when I needed it.

      Things I like:
      1. Durable.
      2. Multi colored
      3. Battery life