REPOST: OR - CamelBak StowAway - Mike Lipay

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 6:32 AM
      Ray,

      My reposted review is below, and will be on the website soon. I do
      have a point of disagreement with you:

      On Aug 31, 2006, at 6:43 PM, rayestrella1 wrote:

      > ***my local outfitter had it's usual sale,
      >
      > EDIT: its
      >

      > ***I spotted the CamelBak StoAway with the other hydration packs and
      > read it's hang tag.
      >
      > EDIT: its

      This is the possessive form of "it" and required an apostrophe, not a
      plural form:

      "Possessive nouns usually indicate ownership, as in Tim's hat or the
      lawyer's desk." from my college writer.

      Mike

      CamelBak StoAway Hydration Pack - Owner Review

      by Mike Lipay - August 29, 2006

      Personal Information
      Name Mike Lipay
      Age 51
      Gender Male
      Height 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
      Weight 180 lb (81.65 kg)
      Email hiking AT westernpa DOT us
      City, State Plum Boro, Pennsylvania

      Background
      I've been hiking and backpacking since the '60s. I enjoy hiking solo,
      with my kids, or with local hiking groups. I have taught LNT skills,
      wilderness survival, and outdoor first-aid. I am no ultra-light
      backpacker (my pack typically weighs 29-40 lb (13-18 kg) loaded),
      although I am always looking for ways to cut down on the weight. I'm
      a low-techie, preferring a hiking staff to trekking poles, compass to
      GPS, fire to fuel; but I am open to new products when there is a
      distinct advantage over more traditional "technology".

      Product Information
      Manufacturer CamelBak
      Website http://www.CamelBak.com
      MSRP $35 USD
      Year Manufactured 2005
      Purchased August 2005

      Description
      (From Mfg website) Fits CamelBak-compatible packs perfectly! Our
      StoAway slips easily into the hydration pocket of your backcountry
      pack, or use the convenient D-Rings to strap it anywhere. And,
      external access to the OMEGA fillport makes the StoAway a breeze to
      fill, keeping you out enjoying the snow longer.
      Durable exterior is abrasion-resistant and lightweight
      Includes carry tether for easy loading and transport
      Insulated Tube and Bite Valve covers help keep water from freezing
      External access to the OMEGA Reservoir makes filling fast and easy

      Warranty
      Free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of two
      years from the date of purchase. The warranty is limited to the
      original purchaser of the product and is not transferrable. During
      the two year warranty period, CamelBak will repair or replace, at its
      option, only the defective part of the pack, reservoir, Bite Valve or
      outer pack at no additional charge.

      Specifications
      Manufacturer
      Capacity: 72 oz (2 L) - NOTE: 72 oz coverts to 2.1 L; 2 L is 68 oz.
      No other measurements are listed in the product information or the
      website.

      Tester
      Capacity: 61 oz (1.8 L) Capacity was determined by starting off with
      a measured 68 oz (2 L), holding the StowAway vertically, then pouring
      the water in until it reached the bottom of the opening. I then
      measured the remaining liquid, which came out to 7 oz (200 ml).

      Length: 18 in (46 cm)
      Width: 8 in (20cm)
      Opening: 3.5 in (9 cm)

      Review
      Bladders, or hydration packs, are not uncommon these days: light-
      weight, collapsible, food-grade plastic containers whose primary
      purpose is to carry drinking water. These light-weight wonders have
      all but replaced the age-old canteens. However, unlike the canteens
      they replace, bladders (and their contents) suffer from exposure to
      the elements -- heat in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.
      In the past I have stuffed them inside my backpack, hoping that the
      contents of the pack would keep the water inside the bladder from
      freezing (or getting hot). This worked fine for the most part, but
      offered no real solution for day hikes, or side trips from a base
      camp, when I wasn't carrying my pack.

      At the start of the winter hiking season (so far as gear buying is
      concerned), my local outfitter had its usual sale, and I was there
      checking out the new stuff. I spotted the CamelBak StoAway with the
      other hydration packs and read it's hang tag. The idea of a hydration
      pack that would keep my water from freezing quickly caught my
      attention and, even though the sale cost was a bit more that I would
      normally pay for a bladder, I quickly bought it, feeling that if it
      kept my water from freezing it would be worth the price.

      While it was still warm (September), and I had no concerns about my
      water freezing, I couldn't wait to give the StoAway a try. Utilizing
      the D-Rings, and a quick-strap, I fashioned a method to carry it
      without a backpack. The StoAway hung well against my back, not
      sliding or shifting while I walked. For the next 3 months I hiked
      with it every chance I got so as to get use to using the StoAway. I
      quickly discovered that I liked the bite valve cover as it kept the
      valve from picking up dirt when I stopped for lunch breaks (resting
      it against a tree or bolder).

      One problem did appear during this use: filling the wide-mouth
      bottle, while easy at home, was not that easy in the field. You can't
      lay the bottle down to fill it up because the back of the pack will
      come to rest against the mouth of the bottle. The StoAway has to be
      held vertically while filling, a neat trick while using a purifier
      pump (Oh, for an intelligent octopus). Even my SteriPEN was difficult
      to use, trying to hold the pen in the bottle, push the activator
      button, and swish the water around without it splashing out. This is
      definitely a bottle made more for chemical purification than
      mechanical, although mechanical is not impossible.

      Winter came in December and while there wasn't much snow this winter
      there were plenty of days when the temps dipped below the freezing
      point, mostly on weekends (of course). The StoAway worked just as
      promised, regardless of the temperatures the water in my StoAway
      never froze. At night, just to be safe, I would drain the tube back
      into the bottle so that I would not have to contend with a frozen
      tube in the morning. I kept the StoAway itself in the bottom of my
      sleeping bag or, on milder nights, just inside the
      tent.

      When the summer came, rather than storing it until next season, I
      figured I would see how well the StoAway kept drinks cool. Now, this
      isn't the advertised usage for the pack, but what guy ever stays
      within published guidelines? The wide mouth on the StoAway was
      perfect for loading ice cubes. I would load as much ice into the pack
      as I could fit, then fill it the rest of the way with cold water.
      Even though the temperatures reached into the upper 80's F (29+ C)
      the water stayed cool for a good 8 hours. After working with it for a
      while what I eventually did was to half-fill the StoAway with water
      then put it into the freezer overnight, next morning I would fill it
      the rest of the way with refrigerated water. This worked out just as
      well, and was easier than working with ice cube trays.

      Conclusions

      Pros:
      - Keeps water from freezing
      - Bite valve cover keeps dirt from accumulating when set on the ground
      - Keeps water cool in the summer

      Cons:
      - Somewhat difficult to fill in the field from a purifier pump
      - Lid forms a tight seal, sometimes it is difficult to turn

      Personal Comments
      The CamelBak StoAway does what it is intended to do, it keeps water
      from freezing during an average day hike, and, with precautions, will
      do so overnight as well. Additionally, the StoAway does a good job of
      of keeping water cool in the summer, with the addition of ice cubes.
      I would gladly recommend purchasing the StoAway if there is any
      concern about water freezing during a trip.
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 4:22 PM
        Mike,

        Ray's edit is absolutely correct. "It" is not a noun but a pronoun,
        and "its," sans apostrophe, is the correct modern possessive/genitive
        form of that pronoun. When I say *modern*, I should stress that "its"
        has been the accepted form in this context since well before 1800.

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > well, and was easier than working with ice cube trays.
        >

        > Conclusions
        >
        > Pros:
        > - Keeps water from freezing
        > - Bite valve cover keeps dirt from accumulating when set on the ground
        > - Keeps water cool in the summer
        >
        > Cons:
        > - Somewhat difficult to fill in the field from a purifier pump
        > - Lid forms a tight seal, sometimes it is difficult to turn
        >
        > Personal Comments
        > The CamelBak StoAway does what it is intended to do, it keeps water
        > from freezing during an average day hike, and, with precautions, will
        > do so overnight as well. Additionally, the StoAway does a good job of
        > of keeping water cool in the summer, with the addition of ice cubes.
        > I would gladly recommend purchasing the StoAway if there is any
        > concern about water freezing during a trip.

      • Travis Beals
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3 2:19 AM
          Ray's edit is correct. "It's" is used solely as a contraction of "it
          is". The possessive is "its". Both Strunk and White's "The Elements
          of Style" and the Oxford "Fowler's Modern English Usage" agree on
          this point of usage.

          Sorry to be acting like the grammar police. I'm able to restrain
          myself in most cases, except for "it's / its" and "affect / effect /
          impact" misuse. :-)
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4 6:01 AM
            OK, corrected the its issue as well.

            Mike

            On Aug 31, 2006, at 6:43 PM, rayestrella1 wrote:

            > EDIT: OR - CamelBak StowAway - Mike Lipay
            >
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > You may want to take a look at your HTML. I am viewing it on two
            > computers and the "Review" section on both is crowded into a tiny
            > column on the left. Give me a yell when you change it and I will
            > take another look.
            >
            > Your edits follow,
            >
            > Ray
            >
            > ***Fits CamelBak-compatible packs perfectly! Our StoAway slips
            > easily into the hydration pocket of your backcountry pack, or use
            > the convenient D-Rings to strap it anywhere. And, external access to
            > the OMEGA fillport makes the StoAway a breeze to fill, keeping you
            > out enjoying the snow longer.
            >
            > EDIT: Since you are obviously quoting the manufacturer you should
            > say that somewhere. If those are your words you have a lot of
            > projection going on. :-)
            >
            > ***Most people are familiar with bladders, or hydration packs, these
            > days:
            >
            > EDIT: now you really are projecting, I bet even together you and I
            > don't know most peopleā€¦ Can you reword this?
            >

            > ***These light-weight wonders have all but replaces the age-old
            > canteens.
            >
            > EDIT: replaced
            >

            > ***However, unlike the canteens they replace, bladders (and their
            > contents) suffer from exposure to the elements
            >
            > Comment: canteens and bottles being steel, aluminum and later
            > plastic were effected by the elements also. Hence the insulated
            > covers made for them.
            >

            > ***my local outfitter had its usual sale,
            >
            > EDIT: its
            >

            > ***I spotted the CamelBak StoAway with the other hydration packs and
            > read its hang tag.
            >
            > EDIT: its
            >

            > ***Even my Ster-pen was difficult to use,
            >
            > EDIT: SteriPEN
            >

            > ***This is definately a bottle made more for chemical purification
            > than
            >
            > EDIT: definitely

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4 6:21 PM
              Hi Mike,

              I just got back I town.

              Thanks for taking care of the edits.

              For some reason the table that you have your section titled Review is
              squashed to the side. All of your other section tables are fine. Maybe
              I can have someone else look at it to see if it is just my two
              computers.

              Does it layout right for you?

              Ray
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5 2:07 AM
                I think it has to do with how wide your browser is, the words should
                wrap to the left of the photo until they reach the bottom, then
                expand to fill the area under the photo. On my browser the first line
                reads "Bladders, or hydration packs, are not"

                Then the third paragraph expands under the photo and ends with the
                words "freezing, I couldn't"

                Mike

                On Sep 4, 2006, at 9:21 PM, rayestrella1 wrote:

                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > I just got back I town.
                >
                > Thanks for taking care of the edits.
                >
                > For some reason the table that you have your section titled Review is
                > squashed to the side. All of your other section tables are fine. Maybe
                > I can have someone else look at it to see if it is just my two
                > computers.
                >
                > Does it layout right for you?
                >
                > Ray

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5 6:02 AM
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

                  > I think it has to do with how wide your browser is, the words should
                  > wrap to the left of the photo until they reach the bottom, then
                  > expand to fill the area under the photo. On my browser the first
                  line
                  > reads "Bladders, or hydration packs, are not"

                  If it looks OK to you go ahead and upload it. That one section is 1/3
                  the width of the other sections to me. We will see if anyone else
                  notices it after it is uploaded.

                  You can put it here;

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                  20Systems/Bladders/CamelBak%20StowAway/