Kevin Hollingsworth Please Read - Re: OR - Coast LED Tactical Torch

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hello Kevin

        This is a pretty good start. The biggest single issue lies with your
        conversions to metric, which you take to too many decimal places. For
        consistency, the general accuracy should be the same. Thus:

        Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)

        is OK (the metric equivalent is down to the centimeter level, the
        imperial to inches, and the level of accuracy is roughly comparable).

        but

        Weight: 190 lbs (86.18 kg)

        has at least one decimal place too many. 86.2 or 86 kg would be
        preferable.

        Please correct as noted below (and in the text above), and send that
        version back to the list prefixed with REPOST where EDIT is currently.
        I'll go over it once more, and assuming there are no significant
        issues I have missed, you may then go to an HTML version in the test
        folder.

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        ### EDIT: Heading should read

        Owner review Coast LED-Lenser V² 6 Chip Dual Color Tactical Torch
        Date: September (whatever), 2006

        > Backpacking Background: I started backpacking and camping when I was
        > in the Cub Scouts and then continued on into Boy Scouts. I spent 20
        > years in the military, which curtailed much of my personal outdoors
        > adventures, but not the military type. I have been mostly day hiking
        > and camping and then hiking. I have been hiking in Colorado, (Pikes
        > Peak area), Korea, Egypt and most recently Shenandoah. My kids are
        > now older and we plan to do more trips, especially in the mountain
        > areas on the east coast.

        ### EDIT: Some indication of your usual pack weight (specify with or
        without consumables) should be provided here. The bio limit is 100
        words, pretty much. You are OK so far.

        > Product Information
        >
        > Manufacturer: Coast Cutlery
        > Year of Manufacture: 2005
        > Note: All measurements are actual (unless otherwise specified)
        > Listed weight with battery: 6.2 ounces (175.77 grams)
        > Weight assembled with battery and carrier: 4 ounces (113.4 grams)
        > Weight assembled with battery: 3.3 ounces (93.44 grams)

        ### EDIT: Two points regarding the section above.

        1. As you are abbreviating elsewhere (as we generally prefer), please
        abbreviate with your weight units here: oz for ounces, g for grams. No
        periods needed.

        2. If providing an equivalent in metric for an imperial unit (or vice
        versa) please keep to the same level of accuracy. In the case of these
        conversions, grams without the decimal (rounding up or down) is fine.

        > Length: 3.875 in (9.842 cm)

        ### EDIT: Since this is 3 7/8 in, 10 cm is the appropriate conversion.
        I doubt that the length is good to a thousandth of a cm!

        @@@ EDIT: 2.5 cm

        > Battery Type: AAA (Alkaline included)
        > Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): None listed.
        > Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): About seventy hours with alkaline
        > battery.
        > Power Output: 62.3 mW
        > Illumination distance: about 11 ft (3.1 m) red light/25 ft (7.6 m)
        > white light
        >
        > Coast

        ### EDIT: The Coast...

        LED-Lenser V² 6 Chip Dual Color Tactical Torch comes in a
        > plastic shrink pack that includes the flashlight, a plastic battery
        > pack, three alkaline batteries, a sheath with a carabineer clip, and a
        > lanyard. The lanyard is about 7.88 in (20.00 cm) in length and the
        > carabineer clip is .19 in (.478 cm) diameter and 1.94 in (4.92 cm) in
        > length.

        ### EDIT: Please correct these conversions.

        The V² has the following features:

        > • Cloverleaf Reflector Tube System
        > • 5 high-intensity white light chips
        > • 1 high-intensity red light chip
        > • 24 ct. gold contacts
        > • Tactical lightweight aluminum casing
        > • Dual switch on/off system
        > • Lifetime Warranty
        >

        > The batteries are placed into a battery pack that hold

        ### EDIT: holds

        > three AAA batteries and then placed into the flashlight body. This
        > would be no easy task in the dark.
        >
        > The light is advertised for use in extreme environments. I have
        > dropped it on hard surfaces and used it in different environments.

        ### EDIT: maybe "...under varied conditions."

        The
        > environment has include

        ### EDIT: included

        temperatures as low as 20 deg F (-6.66 deg C)
        > to 105 deg F (40.55 deg C),

        ### EDIT: Please correct decimal places on Centigrade. & and 41 C are
        fine here. otherwise you are introducing an accidental level of accuracy.

        and in wet and dry condition .It has taken
        > a lot of punishment and I have never had a problem. It has not been
        > advertised as water resistant, but I have used it in many wet
        > environments and seem pretty waterproof.

        ### EDIT: All reports need a section on the field conditions. I could
        use a bit more here, such as elevations at which the lamp has seen
        use, range of weather encountered, etc. "seems pretty waterproof" [not
        seem, btw] is a bit non-specific; have there been any issues with
        moisture or not?