REPOST: OWNER REVIEW: Salomon Women's GCS Comp Trail Running

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Ray,

      Thanks for the edit.

      Just a couple of comments from me:
      - the URL line... I did try to change it, it looks fine in my HTML
      version of this, but when I copy and paste it comes up with the double
      entry. I think I've got it sorted now, but it is OK in the HTML
      version.
      - I changed the manufacturer's paragraphs to something more or less in
      my words. I found it a bit challenging since they use so much technical
      jargon, so I went with a point form version and tried to cut out some of
      their complicated wordiness.
      - The weight differences were the weight of one shoe while the other was
      the pair together. I went with the weight of the pair together since
      when would you ever be wearing just one shoe?

      Jo Ann

      Salomon Women's GCS Comp Trail Running Shoe
      Owner Review

      Name: Jo Ann Moffi
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (168 cm)
      Weight: 175 lbs (79 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 8 women's
      Email address: jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
      Date: August 23, 2006

      Backpacking Background

      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We live
      in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. My most recent foray has been into
      Adventure Racing. When making a decision on gear, I like to go
      lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around extraneous bits
      and pieces.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Salomon
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight: 1lb 9 oz (720 g) per pair
      Weight as delivered: 1lb 9 oz (720 g) per pair
      Material: Sandwich mesh
      Lining: OrthoLite
      Sole: Running Contagrip, Ground Control System
      Lacing: Quickfit
      Recommended Use: Adventure racing, mountain running, off trail
      Colors Available: Tomcat/Bleu Gris/Cristal -- this review, and
      White/Vague/Deep Purple
      Warranty: 1 year
      MSRP: $129.95

      This shoe was designed by Salomon and women athletes for advanced
      off-trail running. The technology Salomon has encorporated in this shoe
      includes:
      - Advanced Chassis stability system that prevents wasted energy while
      running through lateral support
      - Ground Control Shock absorption system that provides a consistently
      stable base without energy loss in the running stride, improved
      cushioning, and reduction in torsional loads on the ankle and knees
      - Lightweight, breathable materials for ventilation
      - Mudguard to prevent seepage
      - Speed Lace system for quick lacing and a perfect fit
      - Specific last, collar shape and sole hardness based on women's input
      - Contagrip sole that combines several different hardensses to provide
      the perfect blend of grip and durability when used over mixed terrain at
      high speeds
      - Forefoot flex grooves, self-cleaning lugs, and defined toe off and
      braking lugs are all features of the outsole that have been field and
      race tested to tackle any terrain

      Bottomline from Salomon: the shoe adapts to the ground, so the foot
      doesn't have to.

      My Opinion on the Look:
      The shoe is an attractive grey and blue colour. The bottom 1/3 of the
      shoe is grey synthetic leather material, the mesh portion is a dusky
      blue colour that covers the toes and runs along the sides of the shoe.
      The tongue is also made of the mesh material; although it is padded with
      the same material as the insides of the shoe along the heel and the back
      1/3 of the foot. The mesh portion is only permeable along the front 2/3
      of the shoe where it is unlined on the inside of the shoe.

      The soles are black and grey with Salomon's Contagrip pattern. The heel
      portion of the sole has four round yellow rubber 'nuts', which extend up
      into the sole. The back portion of the rubber right under the heel is a
      clear rubber and these yellow 'nuts' can be seen through the rubber. I
      would think they are a shock compression detail of the shoe. The dirt
      does not show significantly on the shoes and they are easy to clean with
      a little water and rubbing with my fingers. The quick lacing system is a
      thinner than usual lace with a plastic slider that is pressed and slides
      along the lace to tighten. It is laced as a regular running shoe is; the
      plastic
      slider replaces the bow or knot. The tongue has a pocket where the quick
      lacing system's slider tucks into to keep it from flopping around.

      Field Information

      Location or locations where the shoes were worn:
      In and around Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, upper Michigan, and Anchorage,
      Alaska

      Description of Location(s):
      In Sault Ste Marie and upper Michigan I used these shoes for running on
      snow -- both hard packed and slushy, pavement, concrete, dirt trails,
      muddy trails, gravel trails and roads. In Alaska I used these on hard
      packed snow, slushy snow over paved trails, concrete, pavement, gravel
      trails, and muddy trails. Distance ranged from 2 km (1.2 miles) to 10 km
      (6.2 miles).

      Most of the terrain was level with gradual inclines/declines, some of
      the hard packed snow trails were uneven and rough from previous users,
      the same goes for the muddy and slushy trails. I have also used these
      shoes for walking/hiking the Lake Superior shoreline, in sand, over
      rocks, through the bush and brush on game trails. I wore these shoes
      pretty consistently for about 4 months, logging about 300 km (186
      miles).

      Weather Conditions:
      Anything from sunny early spring to rain/wet snow. Temperatures ranged
      from 14 F (-10 C) to 49 F (15 C).

      Product Review

      These shoes were purchased in late winter/early spring of 2006. I am
      going from road running to trail running and I was looking for (a)
      something that was going to provide more support than my regular running
      shoes, (b) a shoe that will help keep my perpetually hot feet cool, and
      (c) not cause blisters or pressure sores.

      I was very happy that there was no break-in period with these shoes, no
      rub spots, no pressure areas. This to me is a sign that I have got the
      right fit for my feet and the shoe is well made. I purchased a size 7.5,
      a half size smaller than I usually do based on some other online
      recommendations. The shoes fit extremely well from the first time I put
      them on. The lacing system was a bit to get used to, I don't like my
      shoes really tight over the top of my metatarsals
      because I'm prone to neuromas in that area. The manufacturer suggests
      just pulling on the lace system to tighten them and they will self
      adjust to be evenly snug, where as I am pulling up on the first couple
      of lace crossings at the toe to keep the pressure off that area. The toe
      box is a bit narrower than any other shoe I have owned.

      Performance wise, these are great shoes. They are very comfortable to
      run in. However, I was disappointed the mesh over the toes. It lets a
      significant amount of sand and dirt filter through. After one 1 km (0.62
      mile) trek on a sandy beach my socks and toes were gritty with sand.
      This also occurs after walking or running on dusty roads. I would
      anticipate that if I wore these shoes for a run along a beach, and then
      continued for any distance without dealing with the sand I would end up
      with sores around my toes. I have avoided using these in conditions that
      have a lot of sand or small particulate that ends up filtering through
      the mesh of the shoe. After about a month of wearing them for running
      and trekking, both shoes developed a squeak under the little plastic
      portions of the lacing system which has not gone away.

      Summary

      My original reasons for buying these shoes were for more support,
      keeping my feet cool, and not causing any blisters. The shoes met my
      expectations in these areas. My shoe expectations have changed as a
      result of these shoes. I would not buy these shoes again. Since the sand
      and dust gets in so easily, any pair of socks I wear with them come out
      dirty after being in the shoes for even a short period of time. I am
      still happy with the comfort and performance of the shoe and I will
      continue to wear them until they wear out.

    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW: Salomon Women's GCS Comp Trail Running

        Nice turn-around on your edits Jo Ann.

        Just a couple more below.

        Once you've made these changes, please post the HTML version of your
        review, including any pictures (which are always a welcome addition),
        to the Test area of the site. You can find it at the very end of the
        list of review categories after you log in to backpackgeartest.org,
        or you can click this link:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

        After successfully uploading it view the test version in your
        browser to make sure it looks good and all links work as expected.
        Remember that what you see here is what the rest of the world will
        see. If you have trouble with this or questions about posting, I
        encourage you to ask questions at our companion Yahoo! support group
        at:

        Please let me know here when you have it in the test folder. A link
        is always niceĀ…

        Ray

        ***The technology Salomon has encorporated in this shoe includes:

        EDIT: incorporated

        ***Bottomline from Salomon: the shoe adapts to the ground,

        EDIT: Bottom line
      • Jo

          Date: August 23, 2006

          Backpacking Background

[...]

          off-trail running. The technology Salomon has incorporated in this

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            Looks good Jo Ann,

            Let me know when the HTML is in the test folder and we will go from
            there.

            Ray
          • Jo
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
              Hi Ray,

              Here's the link to my OR in the test folder:

              http://snipurl.com/vs27

              Thanks again for all your help,

              Jo Ann
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
                Here we go Jo Ann.

                Your HTML looks very good. The only thing I notice is the photo seems
                to be from a web site. It is OK to use a photo from the manufacturer
                but you need to give them credit for it. If it is from a retailer it
                can not be used. Of course any pics of your own are no problem.

                After you change that you can put your review here;

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%20Shoes/Salomon%
                20GCS%20Comp%20Trail%20Running%20Shoe/

                Congratulations, and I will look forward to your next review.