EDIT - Sierra Designs Wild Bill 20 F Sleeping Bag - Larry Kirschner

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      EDIT: - Sierra Designs Wild Bill 20 F Sleeping Bag - Larry Kirschner

      Hi Larry

      Welcome to BGT.
      > Note: First OR Post--please be gentle! (LOL)
      You jest of course! Novice misery is our speciality ... :-)

      A sleeping bag is an expensive item for a first OR, and we try to encourage newcomers to start with simpler things while
      learning the 'BGT way". This Or may be a shade short but lets see how it goes. Anyhow, I have some small edits for you
      to fix, listed below.

      When you have done these REPOST your OR on this channel. At the same time please put your HTML version in the Tests /
      Owner Reviews folder on BGT, along with the pictures you intend to use. We very strongly encourage the inclusion of
      pictures as they convey so much information. They will be required later on in Tests.

      Let me know that you have posted the html version, and if possible include the URL for it to make my life easier. (I am
      usually editing several ORs at a time.) We always check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
      manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout.

      Some of us have an unofficial convention here:
      EDIT: you must fix this
      Edit: you are advised to seriously consider this
      Comment: just that.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am criticising is actually a matter of personal writing
      style, feel free to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably clear what you mean.

      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have a Mentor program that was established to help newbies through the
      somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers. We're also here for veteran testers who'd like to get some feedback
      on their test applications or test reports. Whatever stage you're at we're here to help. If you'd like a Mentor, please
      contact the Mentor Coordinator (jennifer.pope@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in your subject line.

      In some cases when editing a review I find problems with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML
      file is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem, you could consider trying one of the free
      HTML/text editors such as Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in. Some people who know nothing
      about HTML like NVU, although I don't. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the problems may be that you used MS Word to generate
      the HTML file. We have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been responsible for most of the really
      bad layout problems I have ever seen. In addition, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix just one small
      error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML into a mess. I would strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
      create the html. However, if Word is all you have, please save the file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web
      page' or XML. The filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly.

      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'.

      If you require assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by
      the rules and complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't. Sometimes things happen, and if you let us
      know up front we will understand. We do put family needs first. The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim hatch. For Jim's address see msg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are
      now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are announced:
      This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      -------------------------------
      > Sierra Designs Wild Bill 20 F Sleeping Bag
      EDIT: Need date under this, in 01-Sep-2006 format please for international readers.

      > Height: 5’9” (1.75 m)
      EDIT: 5' 9" with space

      > Date of Review: August 25, 2006
      Edit: optional here, but must be under the title

      > Wild Bill 20 F (-7C) synthetic fill sleeping bag
      EDIT: Model: ...

      > Size; Regular
      EDIT: Size: Regular

      > MSRP: 99.99
      EDIT: either $99.99 or US$99.99

      > Listed weight: 3 lbs, 0 oz (46 oz, 1.36 kg)
      > Weight as delivered: 3 lbs, 1 oz (49 oz , 1.39 kg)
      EDIT: change format to 3 lb 0 oz - no comma, no 's'

      > Fill weight: 27 oz
      EDIT add metric

      > Product description.
      > Insulation type: Polarguard 3D.
      > Stuffed size listed: 9 x 19 in (23 x 48 cm)
      EDIT: need more here: hood? zip? length? width? loft?

      > Warranty: (from company web site), “Sierra Designs guarantees that the
      Edit: you don't need to quote all this. It does not describe the bag at all, and the reader can get the warranty details
      from the company web site.

      > Ohio where the temperature was in the 50’s and 60’s at night. This was also
      EDIT: metric temps too please, here and everywhere else. I have not listed them all. There is a converter on the BGT web
      site if you need one.

      > of New Mexico, elevations from 6000 to 12000 ft. Sleeping temperature
      EDIT: metric conversions everywhere pls.

      > backpack (5600 cubic inches)
      EDIT: metric pls - it should be possible.

      > is big enough for a small amoung of soft
      EDIT: check spelling. 'amount'