Post: Owner Review: Asolo Odyssey GTX Boots - Karl Fuderer

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
      Owner Review: Asolo Odyssey GTX Hiking Boots
      Report Date: 5 August 06

      Personal Biographical Information:
      Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
      Age: 23 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
      Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
      Email: zkyf@...
      Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

      Background:
      I started backpacking almost a year ago, after converting from cycle
      touring. I've experienced lightweight and middleweight backpacking,
      with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lb) when very remote
      for 2+ weeks, to 14 kg (37 lb) when food is accessible every few
      days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided such as on
      the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and ground
      sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and terrains
      as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
      extraordinary range of equipment.

      Product Specifics:
      Manufacturer: Asolo
      Product: Odyssey GTX
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 570 gm ea
      Measured weight: To be advised
      Size: 10
      Upper: Suede mm 1.6 mm - 1.8 mm water-resistant + Cordura
      Lining: Gore-Tex (Sierra)
      Lasting Board: Duo Asoflex man/woman
      Anatomic Footbed: Lite 2
      Sole: Asolo Syncro rubber - PU
      Fit: MM/ML
      Colour: Tundra (365)
      MSRP: Not Listed

      Product Description (Own words):
      Asolo Odyssey GTX Boots are a specifically designed ultra light
      hiking boot boasting astounding comfort, durability, breathability,
      water resistance and affordability. In a world of such diverse
      ranging variety of hiking footwear, this product stands out with its
      style and aesthetic appearance as a essential piece of hardcore
      hiking. The Italian company Asolo have achieved footwear excellence
      with this uniquely developed pair of technologically advanced gear,
      incorporating parts supplied by such reputable companies as Cordura,
      Gore, and Asoflex. The sole is trademark Asolo design, using similar
      materials and moulding as those by companies like Vibram.As with all
      good footwear, they are developed with a particular foot shape in
      mind. While it will not cater for all foot shapes, for the feet it is
      designed for it will fit "like a glove". Particular attention has
      been placed on providing a wide foot base, especially around the
      toes, while allowing the lacing to tighten the top of the boot over
      the foot and around the ankle. This design wears out the inner sole a
      little faster than other boots would, however the comfort level is
      improved enormously making it all worthwhile.
      The upper has all the necessary trimmings for durability,
      breathability, and support, including small venting holes that access
      the waterproof GTX lining directly, and larger mesh covered vents for
      the upper foot. Support is complemented by a fast draw lacing that
      includes 5 pairs of pivoting, self-locking aluminium loops, plus
      another 2 pairs of open ended hooks up the ankle. The use of these
      lace hooks straps the tongue down, pulls the neck in around the lower
      shin and makes spraining the ankle and straining the outer ligaments
      very difficult.

      Testing Environment:
      My Odyssey boots have travelled over 4000 km (2485 mi) of trekking on
      terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations to 1095 m
      (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest. Most of their life
      has been spent between 100 and 600 m (300 to 2000 ft) above sea
      level, on well-defined tracks in SW Western Australia surrounded by
      sparse trees and semi-dense low-lying shrub. Temperatures range from –
      14 C (7 F) on the coldest night to 35 C (95 F) on the hottest day,
      with averages ranging from 0 C (32 F) at night to 23 C (73 F) in
      daylight. I also use them for working, casual walking around town,
      and any other situation that would require comfortable footwear to be
      worn long term. When I am not wearing them it's because either I have
      been wearing them all day and I need a change, or the circumstances
      recommend something different. Some examples of this are sleeping,
      crossing deep water, swimming, etc.
      Field Review:
      Introduction:
      A pair of Asolo Odyssey GTX boots are a Superb essential to my hiking
      gear. They wear well yet they are extremely comfortable on the soles
      of my feet, allowing a long trek with minimal pain or
      discomfort. They feel as though they are tight around all the areas
      of my foot that have limited nerve ending concentration, such as a
      tightening around the tuberosity of 5th metatarsal bone (bump at base
      of little toe). They also feel spacious enough to move all the
      extremities freely, and really stretch around while in the boot. This
      allows for minimal nerve ending disruption in areas such as the tips
      of the toes and in the small of the foot. This provides a feeling of
      freedom inside the boot, while simultaneously a feeling of safety.
      The only potentially painful area remaining is the effect of gravity
      on the balls and heel, solved by a new inner sole and a little weight
      loss.

      Treatment Received:
      In all the travelling I have done around Western Australia, I have
      not spent a single night at an outback campsite without having worn
      my Odyssey boots. They have been used to wade through rivers, swamps,
      ocean inlets, and muddy crossings, among the terrain involving water.
      The only time water ever afflicted the inside of the boot and thus my
      sock and foot, was when I waded though water I believed was shallow,
      and water came in over the neck. On this occasion I believed my foot
      was wet when it wasn't. I have discerned that this was due to the
      suede outside the Gore-Tex membrane soaking up the water and some
      water vapour making it through the membrane to the sock. After I
      tested this phenomenon, I took the boot off to find the inner
      cushioning and sock to be bone dry. I Do not understand what happened
      on that particular occasion.
      They have been one of my favourite choices of beach walking footwear.
      On soft, deep, and particularly steep beaches having the support of
      an ankle brace allowed me to trek faster than I otherwise would have.
      When ascending off the beach the sand dunes are notoriously deep and
      soft, and with very steep inclines it is often a case of one step
      forward half a step sliding back. When decending to the beach one
      step can often slide me three or four steps down, with a mini sand
      avalanche behind by foot. In both cases, if gaiters are worn to keep
      sand out of the boot, it is very effective to trek this way.
      I greatly appreciated the solid, dense grip when walking on slippery
      gravel, especially when on a steep decline. I wore them while in or
      around camp to do logistical duties of cleaning, set up, pack up,
      cooking, and fire building. They are the only thing I would dare use
      to bush bash while looking for wood for the fire.
      Above all, they have been the most helpful when climbing, as I have
      done several intense climbs of both hill and mountain without fault
      or fail. Their ability to grip stone, even that which was slippery,
      never ceased to amaze. On many an occasion I was absolutely convinced
      my feet would trip out from under me, and they held.
      Despite all this walking, both in and out of camp, The boots still
      look almost new, with an exceptional abrasion on the tongue. I have
      never experienced any injuries to my feet or ankles while wearing my
      Odyssey boots.

      Maintenance:
      Average. Many various things over the 1 year I've owned them have
      affected their appearance, and almost every affliction has been
      removable. Some of those afflictions took considerable time to
      remove, however. The most effective cleaning method I know of to
      clean the outer boot of foreign objects is with a nail brush,
      available at most chemists. The thin, stiff bristles work effectively
      to scrub away dirt, grime and scum, and if used in conjunction with
      an abrasive soap, will get away just about anything.
      Sometimes small stones, sharp prickles, glass, metal, and other small
      objects can get stuck between the grooves of the grip, or penetrated
      the grip material itself. The best way i've found to remove these is
      to take the footwear off, don a pair of thick gloves, and remove it
      by hand or with needle nose pliers in extreme circumstances.

      in harsh terrain. The support provided I would not trade for the
      weight saving of trail runners, even if worn around the home. The
      rigidity of the shape provides additional safety given my being prone
      to stubbing my toe on the door frame. The water resistance is
      excellent, and while not flawless it provides enough protection to
      stand or walk indefinitely in water that submerges the whole foot
      below the ankle without getting wet feet. The grip is superior to a
      high percentage of non-Vibram soles available, and has just the right
      mix of wear and rigidity for the intended use of most wearers of the
      boot. Most of all in my opinion is its affordability. The price is
      well positioned in the wide range of options available today, and
      while not cheap, it is fairly priced and well worth it.

      Pros:
      Lightweight
      Comfortable
      Durable
      Rigid
      Safe
      Supportive
      High tech
      Grips well
      Ventilating
      Water resistant
      Easy to put on and remove
      Dificult to dirty / appropriate colour
      Competitively affordable
      Lots of sizes

      Cons:
      None
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
        Hi Karl,

        This is NOT an edit of your review, just a comment from another member.

        "I started backpacking almost a year ago,"

        "My Odyssey boots have travelled over 4000 km (2485 mi) of trekking on
        terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations to 1095 m
        (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest."

        "Many various things over the 1 year I've owned them have
        affected their appearance,"

        That's a lot of trekking in one year! My hat's off to you.

        Ray
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006

          reviews before submission.

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • Karl
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
[...]

            My Odyssey boots have travelled over 1500 km (932 mi) of trekking on
            terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations to 1095 m
            (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest. Most of their life
            has been spent between 100 and 600 m (300 to 2000 ft) above sea
            level, on well-defined tracks in SW Western Australia surrounded by
            sparse trees and semi-dense low-lying shrub. Temperatures range from –
            14 C (7 F) on the coldest night to 35 C (95 F) on the hottest day,
            with averages ranging from 0 C (32 F) at night to 23 C (73 F) in
            daylight. I also use them for working, casual walking around town,
            and any other situation that would require comfortable footwear to be
            worn long term. When I am not wearing them it's because either I have
            been wearing them all day and I need a change, or the circumstances
            recommend something different. Some examples of this are sleeping,
            crossing deep water, swimming, etc.

            In addition to this I have used them extensively in town because they
            are so comfortable. Currently my only other form of transport besides
            walking is bicycle, and I prefer to wear my boots over other options
            for several reasons. I can estimate I have cycled about 500 km (310
            mi) in them. I also work in them, on all my working hours except
            those that require steel capped boots for safety. My work often
            involves a great deal of standing and walking, and I estimate I've
            walked about 1000 km (621 mi) on the job in them since February. I
            replaced the innersole about Mid February due to unusual progressive
            disconfort from the lack of cushioning on the balls and in the smalls
            of my feet.

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              Hello Karl,

              Here's your edit (of the revised version). Please repost when
              complete. I'll give it a second read, and then you may upload.

              Best,

              Ted.

              BGT OR Editor

              > Product Description (Own words):
              > Asolo Odyssey GTX Boots are a specifically designed ultra light
              > hiking boot boasting astounding comfort, durability, breathability,
              > water resistance and affordability. In a world of such diverse
              > ranging variety of hiking footwear, this product stands out with its
              > style and aesthetic appearance as a essential piece of hardcore
              > hiking. The Italian company Asolo have achieved footwear excellence
              > with this uniquely developed pair of technologically advanced gear,
              > incorporating parts supplied by such reputable companies as Cordura,

              ### EDIT: Cordura is not the company in this case. The manufacturer is
              Invista (which was Du Pont Textiles)

              > Gore, and Asoflex. The sole is trademark Asolo design, using similar
              > materials and moulding as those by companies like Vibram.

              ###EDIT: space missing after Vibram.

              > The upper has all the necessary trimmings for durability,
              > breathability, and support, including small venting holes that access
              > the waterproof GTX

              ### EDIT: Gore-Tex [spell out]

              lining directly, and larger mesh covered vents for
              > the upper foot. Support is complemented by a fast draw lacing that
              > includes 5 pairs of pivoting, self-locking aluminium loops, plus
              > another 2 pairs of open ended hooks up the ankle. The use of these
              > lace hooks straps the tongue down, pulls the neck in around the lower
              > shin and makes spraining the ankle and straining the outer ligaments
              > very difficult.
              >
              > My work often
              > involves a great deal of standing and walking, and I estimate I've
              > walked about 1000 km (621 mi) on the job in them since February. I
              > replaced the innersole

              ### EDIT: inner sole

              about Mid February

              ### EDIT: mid-February

              due to unusual progressive
              > disconfort

              ### EDIT: discomfort

              from the lack of cushioning on the balls and in the smalls
              > of my feet.

              ### COMMENT: I've never heard the expression "smalls of the feet,"
              which may be regional. Please consider rephrasing this more specifically.

              > Field Review:
              > Introduction:
              > A pair of Asolo Odyssey GTX boots are a superb essential

              ### EDIT: "superb addition," perhaps, or "absolute essential." "Superb
              essential" doesn't work, IMO.

              to my hiking
              > gear. They wear well yet they are extremely comfortable on the soles
              > of my feet, allowing a long trek with minimal pain or
              > discomfort. They feel as though they are tight around all the areas
              > of my foot that have limited nerve ending concentration, such as a
              > tightening around the tuberosity of 5th metatarsal bone (bump at base
              > of little toe). They also feel spacious enough to move all the
              > extremities freely, and really stretch around while in the boot. This
              > allows for minimal nerve ending disruption in areas such as the tips
              > of the toes and in the small of the foot.

              ### EDIT: I'm a little uncomfortable with the discussion of nerve
              endings, etc. This is a gear report, not a medical disquisition. As a
              reader, I'm less interested in the exact anatomy of your feet. Instead
              of "tightening around the tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal bone,"
              simply supplying the parenthetic "bump at the base of the little toe"
              is really quite sufficient to convey the location. I'd request that
              you simplify this section.

              This provides a feeling of
              > freedom inside the boot, while simultaneously a feeling of safety.
              > The only potentially painful area remaining is the effect of gravity
              > on the balls and heel,

              ### EDIT: "The only potentially painful areas are the balls and heel
              of the foot" seems sufficient to me. Gravity is a given...

              solved by a new inner sole and a little weight
              > loss.
              >
              > Treatment Received:
              > In all the travelling I have done around Western Australia, I have
              > not spent a single night at an outback campsite without having worn
              > my Odyssey boots. They have been used to wade through rivers, swamps,
              > ocean inlets, and muddy crossings, among the terrain involving water.
              > The only time water ever afflicted the inside of the boot and thus my
              > sock and foot, was when I waded though water I believed was shallow,
              > and water came in over the neck. On this occasion I believed my foot
              > was wet when it wasn't. I have discerned that this was due to the
              > suede outside the Gore-Tex membrane soaking up the water and some
              > water vapour making it through the membrane to the sock. After I
              > tested this phenomenon, I took the boot off to find the inner
              > cushioning and sock to be bone dry. I Do

              ### EDIT: do

              not understand what happened
              > on that particular occasion.
              > They have been one of my favourite choices of beach walking footwear.
              > On soft, deep, and particularly steep beaches having the support of
              > an ankle brace

              ### EDIT: "braced ankle" otherwise this reads as if you were wearing
              an ankle brace in addition to the boot

              allowed me to trek faster than I otherwise would have.
              > When ascending off the beach the sand dunes are notoriously deep and
              > soft, and with very steep inclines it is often a case of one step
              > forward

              ### EDIT "and" or "followed by"

              half a step sliding back. When decending to the beach one
              > step can often slide me three or four steps down, with a mini sand
              > avalanche behind by foot. In both cases, if gaiters are worn to keep
              > sand out of the boot, it is very effective to trek this way.

              > Maintenance:
              > Average. Many various things

              ### EDIT: "Many" or "Various"--not both

              over the 1 year

              ### EDIT: year (for a single year no enumeration is needed)

              I've owned them have
              > affected their appearance, and almost every affliction has been
              > removable. Some of those afflictions

              ### EDIT: I don't think "affliction" is the word here. It's generally
              used of adverse impacts on living creatures. "Blemish" perhaps in the
              first instance, and perhaps "Some of these took..." in the second.

              took considerable time to
              > remove, however. The most effective cleaning method I know of to
              > clean the outer boot of foreign objects is with a nail brush,
              > available at most chemists. The thin, stiff bristles work effectively
              > to scrub away dirt, grime and scum, and if used in conjunction with
              > an abrasive soap, will get away just about anything.

              ### COMMENT: consider "as" instead of "being"

              a distance walker
              > in harsh terrain. The support provided I would not trade for the
              > weight saving of trail runners, even if worn around the home. The
              > rigidity of the shape provides additional safety given my being prone
              > to stubbing my toe on the door frame.

              ### COMMENT: Maybe "given my tendency [or propensity, if you prefer]
              to stub my toe on the door frame.
            • Karl
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
[...]

                Invista, Gore, and Asoflex. The sole is trademark Asolo design, using
                similar materials and moulding as those by companies like Vibram.As
                with all good footwear, they are developed with a particular foot
                shape in mind. While it will not cater for all foot shapes, for the
                feet it is designed for it will fit "like a glove". Particular
                attention has been placed on providing a wide foot base, especially
                around the toes, while allowing the lacing to tighten the top of the
                boot over the foot and around the ankle. This design wears out the
                inner sole a little faster than other boots would, however the
                comfort level is improved enormously making it all worthwhile.
                The upper has all the necessary trimmings for durability,
                breathability, and support, including small venting holes that access
                the waterproof Gore-Tex lining directly, and larger mesh covered
[...]

                discomfort from the lack of cushioning on the balls, and under the
                arch, of my feet.

                Field Review:
                Introduction:
                A pair of Asolo Odyssey GTX boots are an indispensable assistant to
                my hiking experience. I observe in disbelief when people walk great
                distances barefoot on rough terrain. I've been told it is a
                pleasurable experience to feel the ground underfoot with raw nerve
                sensations. My soles are not yet that dense, but my boots' soles wear
                well yet they are extremely comfortable on my soles. They therefore
                allow for a long trek with minimal pain or discomfort. They feel as
                though they are tight around all the areas of my foot that have
                limited feeling, such as a tightening around the bump at base of
                little toe. They also feel spacious enough to move all the
                extremities freely, and really stretch around while in the boot. This
                provides a feeling of freedom inside the boot, while simultaneously a
                feeling of safety. The only potentially painful area remaining are
                the balls and heel of the feet, solved by a new inner sole and a
[...]

                braced ankle allowed me to trek faster than I otherwise would have.
                When ascending off the beach the sand dunes are notoriously deep and
                soft, and with very steep inclines it is often a case of each step
                forward includes half a step sliding backward. When descending to the
                beach one step can often slide me three or four steps down, with a
                mini sand avalanche behind my feet. In both cases, if gaiters are
[...]

                Average. Many things over the year I've owned them have affected
                their appearance, and almost every blemish has been removable. Some
                of those blemishes took considerable time to remove, however. The
                most effective cleaning method I know of to clean the outer boot of
                foreign objects is with a nail brush, available at most chemists. The
                thin, stiff bristles work effectively to scrub away dirt, grime and
                scum, and if used in conjunction with an abrasive soap, will get away
                just about anything.
                Sometimes small stones, sharp prickles, glass, metal, and other small
                objects can get stuck between the grooves of the grip, or penetrated
                the grip material itself. The best way i've found to remove these is
                to take the footwear off, don a pair of thick gloves, and remove it
                by hand or with needle nose pliers in extreme circumstances.

                often harsh terrain. The support provided I would not trade for the
                weight saving of trail runners, even if worn around the home. The
                rigidity of the shape provides additional safety given my propensity
                to stubbing my toe on door frames. The water resistance is excellent,

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                  Hi Karl,

                  I've read this again carefully. I have a few more edits, but also
                  quite a few comments. Though pertaining to matters of style, I'd ask
                  that you seriously consider treating these also as edits. Your report
                  will read better for it. Once done, please post to the test folder and
                  advise me on list.

                  Best,

                  Ted.

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <zkyf@...> wrote:

                  > Owner Review: Asolo Odyssey GTX Hiking Boots
                  > Report Date: 5 August 06
                  >
                  > Personal Biographical Information:
                  > Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
                  > Age: 23 years old
                  > Gender: Male
                  > Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
                  > Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
                  > Email: zkyf@...
                  > Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
                  >
                  > Background:
                  > I started backpacking almost a year ago, after converting from cycle
                  > touring. I've experienced lightweight and middleweight backpacking,
                  > with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lb) when very remote
                  > for 2+ weeks, to 14 kg (37 lb) when food is accessible every few
                  > days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided such as on
                  > the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and ground
                  > sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and terrains
                  > as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
                  > extraordinary range of equipment.

                  ###COMMENT: Karl. I know that you have had "using an extraordinary
                  range of equipment" for a while, but I wonder if it adds much?

                  > Product Specifics:
                  > Manufacturer: Asolo
                  > Product: Odyssey GTX
                  > Year of manufacture: 2004
                  > Listed Weight: 570 gm ea

                  ### EDIT each

                  > Measured weight: To be advised

                  ### COMMENT: Please don't forget!

                  > Size: 10
                  > Upper: Suede mm 1.6 mm - 1.8 mm water-resistant + Cordura
                  > Lining: Gore-Tex (Sierra)
                  > Lasting Board: Duo Asoflex man/woman
                  > Anatomic Footbed: Lite 2
                  > Sole: Asolo Syncro rubber - PU
                  > Fit: MM/ML
                  > Colour: Tundra (365)
                  > MSRP: Not Listed
                  >
                  > Product Description (Own words):

                  ### COMMENT: Don't think you need say "own words"

                  > Asolo Odyssey GTX Boots are a specifically designed

                  ### EDIT: "specifically designed" begs the question "for what?" Either
                  specify, or drop.

                  ultra light
                  > hiking boot boasting astounding comfort, durability, breathability,
                  > water resistance and affordability. In a world of such diverse
                  > ranging variety of hiking footwear, this product stands out with its
                  > style and aesthetic appearance as a essential piece of hardcore
                  > hiking.

                  ### EDIT: Period after "appearance." Drop the rest of the line, which
                  is incomplete (hardcore hiking what)?

                  The Italian company Asolo have achieved footwear excellence
                  > with this uniquely developed pair of technologically advanced gear,

                  ### EDIT: "...this uniquely developed and technologically advanced
                  pair of boots,..."

                  > incorporating parts supplied by such reputable companies as Cordura,

                  ### EDIT: Please drop Cordura. It is *not* a company, but a line of
                  materials made by Invista. Also, isn't Asoflex merely Asolo's
                  proprietary name for their insoles? It isn't a separate company.

                  > Invista, Gore, and Asoflex. The sole is trademark Asolo design, using
                  > similar materials and moulding as those by companies like Vibram.

                  ### EDIT: space before "as"

                  As
                  > with all good footwear, they are developed with a particular foot
                  > shape in mind. While it will not cater for all foot shapes, for the
                  > feet it is designed for it will fit "like a glove". Particular
                  > attention has been placed on providing a wide foot base, especially
                  > around the toes,

                  ### COMMENT: The term of art is "a wide toe box"

                  while allowing the lacing to tighten the top of the
                  > boot over the foot and around the ankle. This design wears out the
                  > inner sole a little faster than other boots would,

                  ### COMMENT: Why? There doesn't seem to be any reason based on what
                  you have written here. Perhaps you could explain further.

                  however the
                  > comfort level is improved enormously making it all worthwhile.

                  ### COMMENT: Suggest dropping "making it all worthwhile." Let the
                  reader be judge of that.

                  > The upper has all the necessary trimmings for durability,
                  > breathability, and support, including small venting holes that access
                  > the waterproof Gore-Tex lining directly, and larger mesh covered
                  > vents for the upper foot. Support is complemented by a

                  ### EDIT: cut "a"

                  fast draw
                  > lacing that includes 5 pairs of pivoting, self-locking aluminium
                  > loops, plus another 2 pairs of open ended hooks up the ankle. The use
                  > of these lace hooks straps the tongue down, pulls the neck in around
                  > the lower shin and makes spraining the ankle and straining the outer
                  > ligaments very difficult.

                  > Testing Environment:
                  > My Odyssey boots have travelled over 1500 km (932 mi) of trekking on
                  > terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations to 1095 m
                  > (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest. Most of their life
                  > has been spent between 100 and 600 m (300 to 2000 ft) above sea
                  > level, on well-defined tracks in SW Western Australia surrounded by
                  > sparse trees and semi-dense low-lying shrub. Temperatures range from –
                  > 14 C (7 F) on the coldest night to 35 C (95 F) on the hottest day,
                  > with averages ranging from 0 C (32 F) at night to 23 C (73 F) in
                  > daylight. I also use them for working, casual walking around town,
                  > and any other situation that would require comfortable footwear to be
                  > worn long term.

                  ### COMMENT: Is this mileage included in the total?

                  When I am not wearing them it's because either I have
                  > been wearing them all day and I need a change, or the circumstances
                  > recommend something different. Some examples of this are sleeping,
                  > crossing deep water, swimming, etc.

                  ### COMMENT: The last line is, I realize, deadpan humor. However, it's
                  so deadpan it could be read literally, eliciting a bit of a puzzled
                  response! Suggest you drop this.

                  > In addition to this I have used them extensively in town because they
                  > are so comfortable. Currently my only other form of transport besides
                  > walking is bicycle, and I prefer to wear my boots over other options
                  > for several reasons. I can estimate I have cycled about 500 km (310
                  > mi) in them. I also work in them, on all my working hours except
                  > those that require steel capped boots for safety. My work often
                  > involves a great deal of standing and walking, and I estimate I've
                  > walked about 1000 km (621 mi) on the job in them since February. I
                  > replaced the inner sole about mid-February due to unusual progressive
                  > discomfort from the lack of cushioning on the balls, and under the
                  > arch, of my feet.
                  >
                  > Field Review:
                  > Introduction:
                  > A pair of Asolo Odyssey GTX boots are an indispensable assistant

                  ### COMMENT: "an indispensable assistant" could be simply
                  "indispensable" It reads better that way.

                  > my hiking experience. I observe in disbelief when people walk great
                  > distances barefoot on rough terrain.

                  ### COMMENT: I have a friend who did all the 35 peaks over 3500 feet
                  in the Catskills barefoot (plus four necessary repeats in winter). The
                  foot doesn't receive "raw nerve sensations" but becomes calloused, at
                  least on the difficult, rocky terrain in this region.

                  I've been told it is a
                  > pleasurable experience to feel the ground underfoot with raw nerve
                  > sensations. My soles are not yet that dense, but my boots' soles wear
                  > well yet they are extremely comfortable on my soles. They therefore
                  > allow for a long trek with minimal pain or discomfort. They feel as
                  > though they are tight around all the areas of my foot that have
                  > limited feeling, such as a tightening around the bump at base of
                  > little toe.

                  ### COMMENT: Not sure what this last sentence communicates. I'm not at
                  all clear what you mean.

                  They also feel spacious enough to move all the
                  > extremities freely, and really stretch around while in the boot. This
                  > provides a feeling of freedom inside the boot, while simultaneously a
                  > feeling of safety. The only potentially painful area

                  ###EDIT: "areas"

                  remaining are
                  > the balls and heel of the feet, solved by a new inner sole and a
                  > little weight loss.
                  >
                  > Treatment Received:
                  > In all the travelling I have done around Western Australia, I have
                  > not spent a single night at an outback campsite without having worn
                  > my Odyssey boots. They have been used to wade through rivers, swamps,
                  > ocean inlets, and muddy crossings, among the terrain involving water.
                  > The only time water ever afflicted

                  ### EDIT: "effected" perhaps? "Afflicted" is too strong a word for
                  this circumstance.

                  the inside of the boot and thus my
                  > sock and foot, was when I waded though water I believed was shallow,
                  > and water came in over the neck. On this occasion I believed my foot
                  > was wet when it wasn't. I have discerned that this was due to the
                  > suede outside the Gore-Tex membrane soaking up the water and some
                  > water vapour making it through the membrane to the sock. After I
                  > tested this phenomenon, I took the boot off to find the inner
                  > cushioning and sock to be bone dry. I do not understand what happened
                  > on that particular occasion.
                  > They have been one of my favourite choices of beach walking footwear.
                  > On soft, deep, and particularly steep beaches having the support of a
                  > braced ankle allowed me to trek faster than I otherwise would have.
                  > When ascending off the beach the sand dunes are notoriously deep and
                  > soft, and with very steep inclines it is often a case of each step
                  > forward includes half a step sliding backward. When descending to the
                  > beach one step can often slide me three or four steps down, with a
                  > mini sand avalanche behind my feet. In both cases, if gaiters are
                  > worn to keep sand out of the boot, it is very effective to trek this
                  > way.
                  > I greatly appreciated the solid, dense grip when walking on slippery
                  > gravel, especially when on a steep decline.

                  ### EDIT: Decline is rarely used as the antonym of incline (I checked
                  the OED on this; it says "rare" for this usage). "Declivity" is the
                  correct term, but simply "downward slope" is easily understood.

                  I wore them while in or
                  > around camp to do logistical duties of cleaning, set up, pack up,
                  > cooking, and fire building. They are the only thing I would dare use
                  > to bush bash while looking for wood for the fire.
                  > Above all, they have been the most helpful when climbing, as I have
                  > done several intense climbs of both hill and mountain without fault
                  > or fail. Their ability to grip stone, even that which was slippery,
                  > never ceased to amaze. On many an occasion I was absolutely convinced
                  > my feet would trip out from under me, and they held.
                  > Despite all this walking, both in and out of camp, The boots still
                  > look almost new, with an exceptional abrasion on the tongue. I have
                  > never experienced any injuries to my feet or ankles while wearing my
                  > Odyssey boots.
                  >
                  > Maintenance:
                  > Average. Many things over the year I've owned them have affected
                  > their appearance, and almost every blemish has been removable. Some
                  > of those blemishes took considerable time to remove, however. The
                  > most effective cleaning method I know of to clean the outer boot of
                  > foreign objects is with a nail brush, available at most chemists. The
                  > thin, stiff bristles work effectively to scrub away dirt, grime and
                  > scum, and if used in conjunction with an abrasive soap, will get away
                  > just about anything.
                  > Sometimes small stones, sharp prickles, glass, metal, and other small
                  > objects can get stuck between the grooves of the grip

                  ### EDIT: when you write "grip," do you intend "sole?"

                  , or penetrated
                  > the grip material itself. The best way i've

                  ### EDIT: I've

                  found to remove these is
                  > to take the footwear off, don a pair of thick gloves, and remove it
                  > by hand or with needle nose pliers in extreme circumstances.

                  > often harsh terrain. The support provided I would not trade for the
                  > weight saving of trail runners, even if worn around the home.

                  ### COMMENT: I would not trade the support provided for the weight
                  saving of trail runners. [drop "even if worn around the home].

                  The
                  > rigidity of the shape provides additional safety given my propensity
                  > to stubbing my toe on door frames. The water resistance is excellent,
                  > and while not flawless it provides enough protection to stand or walk
                  > indefinitely

                  ### COMMENT: Do you really mean indefinitely? That's a big claim. Most
                  Gore-Tex lined boots will soak out eventually.

                  in water that submerges the whole foot below the ankle
                  > without getting wet feet. The grip is superior to a high percentage
                  > of non-Vibram soles available, and has just the right mix of wear and
                  > rigidity for the intended use of most wearers of the boot. Most of
                  > all in my opinion is its affordability. The price is well positioned
                  > in the wide range of options available today, and while not cheap, it
                  > is fairly priced and well worth it.

                  COMMENT: "The price, while not cheap, is fair and well worth it." I'd
                  suggest this wording. The other sounds a bit jargon-y.

                  > Pros:
                  > Lightweight
                  > Comfortable
                  > Durable
                  > Rigid
                  > Safe
                  > Supportive
                  > High tech
                  > Grips well
                  > Ventilating
                  > Water resistant
                  > Easy to put on and remove
                  > Dificult to dirty / appropriate colour
                  > Competitively affordable
                  > Lots of sizes
                  >
                  > Cons:
                  > None

                • Brian Lewis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                    > Listed Weight: 570 gm ea

                    (20 ounces)

                    > Size: 10

                    I suggest this be stated as UK/AUS size, and also be given in US size (11),
                    and European (44-1/2).

                    Does BGT have a meaningful audience in countries that use yet other shoe
                    sizing systems?? (Japan does, at least)

                  • Karl
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                      Gday Ted,
                      Upload to test folder to follow shortly. Some responses to your
                      comments.

                      ### COMMENT: The last line is, I realize, deadpan humor. However, it's
                      so deadpan it could be read literally, eliciting a bit of a puzzled
                      response! Suggest you drop this.

                      Response: After writing it I realised it read humourous. However
                      while writing it I had intentions of it being literal. The ingrained
                      tester in me wanted to see how they performed in these situations,
                      and this was lon before I'd heard about BGT. I can honestly advise
                      hikers not to use their boots in these circumstances unless
                      unavoidable, speaking from experience. Therefore if a reader sees it
                      as humourous and/or literal it's ok with me.

                      ### COMMENT: Do you really mean indefinitely? That's a big claim. Most
                      Gore-Tex lined boots will soak out eventually.

                      Response: Definition of indefinately (American Heritage
                      Dictionaries): Not definite, especially:

                      Unclear; vague.
                      Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
                      Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.

                      I did not mean to imply forever, or into eternity.

                      Will stay in touch.
                      Peace,
                      Karl

                      <erd@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      Most
                      > Gore-Tex lined boots will soak out eventually.
                      >
                      > in water that submerges the whole foot below the ankle
                      > > without getting wet feet. The grip is superior to a high
                      percentage
                      > > of non-Vibram soles available, and has just the right mix of wear
                      and
                      > > rigidity for the intended use of most wearers of the boot. Most
                      of
                      > > all in my opinion is its affordability. The price is well
                      positioned
                      > > in the wide range of options available today, and while not
                      cheap, it
                      > > is fairly priced and well worth it.
                      >
                      > COMMENT: "The price, while not cheap, is fair and well worth it."
                      I'd
                      > suggest this wording. The other sounds a bit jargon-y.

                    • edwardripleyduggan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2006
                        Hello Karl,

                        The OED says (definition 2):

                        2. To an indefinite amount or extent; without specified or assignable
                        limit or end; unlimitedly.

                        That's surely close to forever!

                        No big deal one way or the other.

                        Ted.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 21, 2006
                          Gday Ted,
                          I agree we are talking semantics here, and so it isn't (or at least
                          shouldn't) be a big deal. Semantics are, however, one of my favourite
                          subjects of idle conversation, because clear communication regarding
                          things that are important relies on accurate understanding, so
                          therefore I ask:

                          how can something that is dificult to calculate, measure or
                          deductively project, be assumed to be, be default, without limit. How
                          long is a piece of string of unknown length? It's not limitless, it
                          doesn't go on forever, but it does go on indefinately ("indefinate"
                          being an amalgam of "in", a antonomous prefix meaning the opposite
                          to; and "definate", meaning precise). The length of string is not
                          precisely known.

                          I hope this has cleared up your understanding of the word
                          indefinately. Moreso, I hope you would do the same for me if
                          positions were reversed. For a long time I couldn't define the
                          difference between jealously and envy. I know the difference very
                          well now, but I wish someone had alerted me to my mistake earlier.

                          If you want to (and I'd be happy to) talk about this further, I
                          suggest we take it off list.

                          Enjoy awareness,
                          Karl

                          <erd@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Karl,
                          >
                          > The OED says (definition 2):
                          >
                          > 2. To an indefinite amount or extent; without specified or
                          assignable
                          > limit or end; unlimitedly.
                          >
                          > That's surely close to forever!
                          >
                          > No big deal one way or the other.
                          >
                          > Ted.
                          >
                          > > ### COMMENT: Do you really mean indefinitely? That's a big claim.
                          Most
                          > > Gore-Tex lined boots will soak out eventually.
                          > >
                          > > Response: Definition of indefinately (American Heritage
                          > > Dictionaries): Not definite, especially:
                          > >
                          > > Unclear; vague.
                          > > Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
                          > > Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.
                          > >
                          > > I did not mean to imply forever, or into eternity.

                        • Jerry Goller
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 22, 2006
                            No. The size should be stated in the system the tester uses and state that
                            (Size 10, U.S.)

                            Jerry

                            reviews and tests on the planet.

                            I suggest this be stated as UK/AUS size, and also be given in US size (11),
                            and European (44-1/2).

                            Does BGT have a meaningful audience in countries that use yet other shoe
                            sizing systems?? (Japan does, at least)

                            To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ Yahoo!
                            Groups Links
                          • Karl
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 23, 2006
                              G'day Jerry,
                              Message Received. Is this acceptable?

                              "
                              Measured weight: To be advised
                              Size: US/Aus 10
                              Upper: Suede mm 1.6 mm - 1.8 mm water-resistant + Cordura
                              "

                              Will post Saturday to the BGT test folder, with pictures. I'm not in
                              any rush to complete upload, but before end of month would be great.
                              I have long term backpacking (testing) travel plans beginnning Sept 1
                              (2 at latest), and don't know when my next internet access will be
                              from then.

                              Hope to hear from you soon,
                              Karl Fuderer

                              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                              <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                              > No. The size should be stated in the system the tester uses and
                              state that
                              > (Size 10, U.S.)
                              >
                              > Jerry
                              >

                              > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive
                              interactive gear
                              > reviews and tests on the planet.

                              Odyssey GTX
                              > Boots - Karl Fuderer
                              >
                              > > Listed Weight: 570 gm ea
                              >
                              > (20 ounces)
                              >

                              > > Size: 10
                              >
                              > I suggest this be stated as UK/AUS size, and also be given in US
                              size (11),
                              > and European (44-1/2).
                              >
                              > Does BGT have a meaningful audience in countries that use yet other
                              shoe
                              > sizing systems?? (Japan does, at least)

                              Yahoo!
                              > Groups Links

                            • Karl
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 25, 2006
                                Gday Ted,
                                OR Asolo Oddysey GTX in OR test folder awaiting edit or approval. I
                                will be OOP from 8/31 for days or weeks so urgent reply will be
                                greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

                                Kind regards,
                                Karl