Lowa OR addendum

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      I have added an addendum to my Lowa boot OR after dealing with
      customer service. The updated HTML is here;

      http://tinyurl.com/qrxpf

      I will post just the addendum here, and will wait for an OK to
      replace the existing review.

      Thanks,

      Ray

      Customer Service Addendum July 2006

      In July I took the Lowa boots back to REI and told them about the
      failure of the GORETEX and the amount of mileage and use incurred.
      They sent the boots to Lowa and said they would contact me with the
      results.

      I was informed that the GORETEX could not be fixed (which I
      expected) and that they would have to replace the entire boots.
      (That too I expected.) But the company decided that due to the
      amount of wear that they would have to pro-rate it and would send me
      new ones for $50.00 (US). (This I did not expect!)

      They asked me if that was OK. As I try to find the humor in
      everything I laughed and said that I guess it is going to have to
      be. They asked if I agreed that it had excessive wear to which I
      replied yes they do, but the fact that it got that excessive wear in
      only 166 miles (267 km) and over the course of 8 months, which last
      I checked was under a year, I don't understand them not being
      covered completely. I gave them my credit card info and expect to
      see some new boots soon. I will very carefully track the usage of
      the new boots again.

      I honestly do like the boots a whole lot. (I am going to start
      breaking the new pair in this weekend for two upcoming hikes.) But
      this has soured it a bit for me.

      August 3, 2006
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi Ray,

        The editor on this would be... me?

        This seems fair. I am a bit surprised at the outcome, as Lowa dealt
        very fairly with me in the matter of the Tanarks. However, that was a
        couple of years ago, and the purchase was directly from them, and the
        deterioration on each pair rapid and easily documented. I wonder if
        you had protested more vehemently they would have been more obliging?
        Hardly worth the rise in blood pressure for $50.

        In regard to boots that have prematurely failed, Black Diamond was
        very good to me a couple of years ago--upgraded me to a much better
        boot after one I had been assured would be fine off-trail proved
        wretchedly inappropriate. I feel that many boot designs are directed
        at someone who will wear them mostly on the sidewalk, and perhaps on a
        few hikes each year, rather than the fifty to seventy-five hiking days
        a year many of us do. Also, East Coast terrain seems to be crueler to
        boots than West. Many honorable exceptions to these generalizations,
        of course.

        Best,

        Ted.

        PS. I will get to your Cutter OR shortly, promise.
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
          <erd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ray,
          >
          > The editor on this would be... me?
          >
          > This seems fair. I am a bit surprised at the outcome, as Lowa dealt
          > very fairly with me in the matter of the Tanarks.
          >I wonder if you had protested more vehemently they would have been
          >more obliging?
          > Hardly worth the rise in blood pressure for $50.

          That is axcactly my thought about it.

          >East Coast terrain seems to be crueler to
          > boots than West. Many honorable exceptions to these
          >generalizations,
          > of course.

          I know that I am tough on boots because of my hiking style and
          locales. A day with only 2000' of gain is a light one for me. In the
          course of 7 days this past week I did two day-hikes and an over-
          nighter with a total of over 16000' of gain and three days over
          10'000 elevation, which means a lot of rock out here.

          Such is life. Thanks Ted I will swap it with the updated file
          tomorrow.

          Ray
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
            With the serious heat we had during the week past, I stayed pretty
            quiet. No 16000 feet for Ted <sniff>! Kayaked for a few hours last
            Saturday (deep wading, while lining a boat up minor rapids, is
            especially pleasant when it's hot)! Sunday I did my favorite ice caves
            hike.

            Worked on this and that over the week to make money, but spent way too
            much time perched on a stepladder fixing a lousy bow-window in front
            of my house in which I discovered the sill (and some other bits) had
            rotted out. Hooray (I hope) for modern wood restoration compounds. All
            over now bar some sanding, a missing bit of trim that needs to be
            dropped in, and a coat of paint or two.

            Ted.