OWNER REVIEW - Coleman Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag

  • ben.mansfield
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2006
      Owner Review - Coleman Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag

      Reviewer Profile
      Name: Ben Mansfield
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 180 lbs (81.7 kg)
      e-mail Address: benmansfield27@...
      City, State, Country: North Ridgeville, OH, USA
      Date: 26 July 2006

      Backpacking Background

      Over the past 15 years or so, I've tried to average at least one
      weekend trip per month year round, primarily in PA, WV, and VA.
      During the last 8 years, I've tried to take a weeklong trip somewhere
      further, but still usually in the eastern US. I have hiked many
      sections of the AT in Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, and West
      Virginia, and am planning to backpack the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine
      next year. I consider myself a mid-weight hiker, preferring some
      luxury over an ultralight load.

      In addition to backpacking, my wife and I enjoy car camping at nearby
      parks and recreation areas. I am also an avid fly fisherman, mountain
      biker, and snow skier, and enjoy sailing my homemade dingy.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Coleman
      Model: Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.coleman.com
      Listed Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg)
      Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag
      MSRP: $74.99 (website)

      [picture of bag stuffed]
      [picture of bag unstuffed]

      Detailed Product Description

      The Coleman Canyon 32 sleeping bag is an economical warm weather
      sleeping bag suitable for backpacking due to its small pack size and
      light weight. My bag is approximately 6 years old and has been used
      in temperatures ranging from around 20 oF (-6.7 oC) up to around 80 oF
      (26.7 oC). I have spent nearly 100 nights in this bag.

      As printed on the included stuff sack, the bag shell is made from 240T
      Ripstop Nylon, and the lining from 190T Nylon. In addition, 16 oz
      (453.6 g) Dupont Thermolite Micro fill insulation provides the
      necessary heat retention. The pack size is given as 32" W x 86" L
      (0.8m W x 2.2m L).

      According to the manufacturer, the included stuff sack is 7" x 11"
      (17.8 cm x 27.9 cm). By my measurement, the sack is approximately 7"
      x 12.5" (17.8 cm x 31.8 cm). The stuff sack has a flap which covers
      the opening, and two draw strings with spring-loaded closures.

      Unstuffing the Coleman Canyon 32 bag shows a traditional mummy shape
      with a right-hand zipper (right hand as it would be if you were laying
      in it, face up) provided with two pulls. The zipper runs the length
      of the bag, terminating just above the foot box at the bottom and just
      below the hood at the top. A small overlap is provided inside of the
      zipper which can hardly be called a draft tube but serves the same
      purpose in this warm-weather bag. Where the zipper terminates at the
      hood, there is a 3.5" (8.9 cm) piece of Velcro that can be used to
      hold the bag closed while leaving the zipper unzipped. When not in
      use, the Velcro can be doubled back onto a second piece which allows
      it to be secured in an apparent effort to minimize skin irritation.
      Unfortunately, this Velcro strip is the one thing that I really
      dislike about the bag. I have to constantly move it from scratching
      me, despite it being secured.

      [Picture of Velcro closure]

      There is a mummy hood with a drawstring to cinch it tight. A second
      drawstring wraps around the chest area, allowing warm air to be
      trapped in the lower portion of the bag. A small pocket just inside
      the sleeping bag over the chest area provides some storage for
      nighttime necessities. This pocket is approximately 6" x 7" (15.2 cm
      x 17.8 cm), with a 1.5" (3.8 cm) piece of Velcro centered on the
      opening.

      At first appearance, the fill appears inconsequential, though as I'll
      discuss later it is quite sufficient. The trapezoidal-shaped foot
      box provides ample room for my size 11 (US size) feet.

      Sleeping Bag Fit and Function

      A few additional pertinent personal statistics:

      Width @ Shoulders: 21.5" (54.6 cm)
      Width @ Hips: 17" (43.2 cm)
      Girth (Circumference) @ Shoulders: 49.5" (125.7 cm)
      Girth (Circumference) @ Buttocks: 43" (109.2 cm)

      I tend to sleep on my side or back, turning frequently through the
      night. This is often non-conducive to spending a comfortable night in
      a mummy bag. This bag, however, has ample room for movement inside
      the bag, without the necessity to bring the bag with you. That is, I
      can turn without getting tangled in the bag and without ending up with
      my face buried inside the mummy hood and unable to breathe.

      I am a warm sleeper, and as such, probably stretch the use of this
      sleeping bag a little past its intended temperature range. As I
      mentioned above, I have spent almost 100 nights (based on rough
      estimates – it may in fact be many more nights) in this bag, in
      temperatures ranging from around 20 oF (-6.7 oC) up to around 80 oF
      (26.7 oC). I have always used this bag with some type of additional
      insulation between myself and the ground – either a foam or
      self-inflating (Thermarest) pad.

      Personal Use & Impression

      Use Locations
      My usage of this bag has been exclusively in the Eastern US, including
      a week in Chattahoochee National Forest in Georgia, several weeks in
      the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania, many weekends in West
      Virginia and Virginia, and countless car camping trips in the same
      region.

      Insulating Qualities
      I have always used this bag with some type of additional insulation
      between myself and the ground – either a foam or self-inflating
      (Thermarest) pad. Overall I believe the 32 oF (0 oC) comfort rating
      is very close to accurate for me with this setup. I have been cold in
      this bag only in temperatures at or below freezing. I typically sleep
      au natural, but on very cold nights will wear a stocking cap and/or
      wool socks. This bag is also comfortable for me on warm nights, when
      I tend to use the bottom zipper to vent the foot box or leave the bag
      completely unzipped (and often zipping it up once the night cools off).

      Moisture Resistance
      I enjoy sleeping under the stars, and often wake up in the morning
      with a layer of dew on the outside of the bag. I am an early starter
      when backpacking, and rarely allow the bag to dry before re-packing it
      for the day's hike. However, I do tend to stop early in the day, and
      always unstuff and lay out the bag as soon as I reach camp.
      Presumably because of the relatively small amount of insulation, this
      bag tends to dry relatively quickly (compared to other bags I own) if
      it becomes wet due to rain or dew.

      Durability
      Sleeping outside rather than in a tent causes a potential problem for
      sleeping bags: the tendency for dirt to be ground into the shell
      and/or sharp rocks or sticks tearing the shell. Although I sleep on a
      pad, I do slide off regularly and have indeed found myself on top of
      some sharp edges. Thanks to the durability of the Ripstop nylon
      shell, however, I have not incurred any damage in all the years I have
      used this bag. I have never had the zipper snag or get stuck.

      Care & Cleaning
      Like most bags in my collection, I tend to be a bit hard on sleeping
      bags. This particular bag did not come with a larger-sized storage
      bag, and unfortunately I store it stuffed into its tiny stuff sack.
      If the sleeping bag came with care instructions either in the package
      or sewn into the bag itself, they are long gone. I wash the bag in my
      home washer (top loading, with agitator – I know I may be asking for
      trouble, but this bag is not particularly bulky and has always been
      OK) periodically, and either line dry it or lay it out flat to dry.

      Summary
      I originally purchased this sleeping bag as an inexpensive summer bag.
      I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a very technical bag,
      because I intended to use it exclusively on warm and hot weather
      trips. At the time, I was looking for the smallest and least
      expensive bag I could find. I accomplished the small size
      requirement, as it fits into the sleeping bag compartment in every
      pack I own, including my Gregory Advent Pro @ 2700 in3 (44L) with room
      to spare for other gear. It also met the inexpensive requirement at
      under a hundred dollars US. I typically tend away from Coleman
      products for use in backpacking (though think they're fantastic for
      car camping), and was a bit reluctant to buy this sleeping bag
      originally. However, this particular product has changed my
      prejudice, as I have very few negatives to report.

      What I like
      1. Small Size
      2. Light Weight
      3. Sufficiently Warm

      What I dislike
      1. Velcro strip near shoulders scratches skin
      2. Easily slides off of sleeping pad – would prefer straps or some
      other method to keep me on the pad and out of the dirt
      3. No large mesh storage bag included
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2006
          Hi Ben,

          I believe this is your first review and it is a very nice start.

          Edits are below and will follow this format;

          EDIT: must change
          Edit: should change, but up to you if you feel it is a style issue
          Comment: just that, or something for you to think about

          When you have made the changes post it back here with REPOST in the
          subject line.

          Ray

          ***Backpacking Background

          EDIT: your bio is 24 words over the 100 word limit. You should
          tighten it up a bit.

          ***Manufacturer: Coleman

          EDIT: it is "The Colman Company Inc."

          ***Listed Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg)

          EDIT: the site has it listed as 2 lb 11 oz. You also need the actual
          weight by you listed.

          ***Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag

          EDIT: can you take the "o" out of all your temps please. Just 32 F
          (0 C) is fine.

          ***I have spent nearly 100 nights in this bag.

          Comment: sweet, nothing like sleeping out.

          ***The pack size is given as 32" W x 86" L (0.8m W x 2.2m L).

          EDIT: this is the size of the bag not the packed size. Also since
          you are using inches it would work better to use the common
          conversion units, in this case cm.

          *** there is a 3.5" (8.9 cm) piece of Velcro that can be used

          As Velcro is a trademarked brand name we can not use it in reviews
          unless we know that that is what the hook and loop material is.
          Coleman does not say that it is Velcro so you should change it. (All
          instances, please.)

          ***ample room for my size 11 (US size) feet.

          EDIT: ample room for my size 11 (US) feet.

          ***temperatures ranging from around 20 oF (-6.7 oC) up to around 80
          oF
          (26.7 oC).

          EDIT: since you are rounding off the degrees F go ahead and round
          off the degree C. "around 20 F (-7 C) up to around 80 F (27 C)."

          ***either a foam or self-inflating (Thermarest) pad.

          EDIT: Therm-a-Rest

          ***Like most bags in my collection, I tend to be a bit hard on
          sleeping
          bags.

          Edit: do you mean that "like most bags in my collection, I tend to
          be a bit hard on this one"?
        • ben.mansfield
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I'll get them taken care of and & repost ASAP.

            Ben

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ben,
            >
            > I believe this is your first review and it is a very nice start.
            >
            > Edits are below and will follow this format;
            >
            > EDIT: must change
            > Edit: should change, but up to you if you feel it is a style issue
            > Comment: just that, or something for you to think about
            >
            > When you have made the changes post it back here with REPOST in the
            > subject line.
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***Backpacking Background
            >
            > EDIT: your bio is 24 words over the 100 word limit. You should
            > tighten it up a bit.
            >

            > ***Manufacturer: Coleman
            >
            > EDIT: it is "The Colman Company Inc."
            >

            > ***Listed Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg)
            >
            > EDIT: the site has it listed as 2 lb 11 oz. You also need the actual
            > weight by you listed.
            >

            > ***Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag
            >
            > EDIT: can you take the "o" out of all your temps please. Just 32 F
            > (0 C) is fine.
            >

            > ***I have spent nearly 100 nights in this bag.
            >
            > Comment: sweet, nothing like sleeping out.
            >

            > ***The pack size is given as 32" W x 86" L (0.8m W x 2.2m L).
            >
            > EDIT: this is the size of the bag not the packed size. Also since
            > you are using inches it would work better to use the common
            > conversion units, in this case cm.
            >

            > *** there is a 3.5" (8.9 cm) piece of Velcro that can be used
            >
            > As Velcro is a trademarked brand name we can not use it in reviews
            > unless we know that that is what the hook and loop material is.
            > Coleman does not say that it is Velcro so you should change it. (All
            > instances, please.)
            >

            > ***ample room for my size 11 (US size) feet.
            >
            > EDIT: ample room for my size 11 (US) feet.
            >

            > ***temperatures ranging from around 20 oF (-6.7 oC) up to around 80
            > oF
            > (26.7 oC).
            >
            > EDIT: since you are rounding off the degrees F go ahead and round
            > off the degree C. "around 20 F (-7 C) up to around 80 F (27 C)."
            >

            > ***either a foam or self-inflating (Thermarest) pad.
            >
            > EDIT: Therm-a-Rest
            >

            > ***Like most bags in my collection, I tend to be a bit hard on
            > sleeping
            > bags.
            >
            > Edit: do you mean that "like most bags in my collection, I tend to
            > be a bit hard on this one"?

          • ben.mansfield
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              Ray,

              I left the weight as I originally had it, since it's stamped on the
              stuff sack - perhaps it's gone a little heavier since I bought mine so
              many years ago. Otherwise, your edits have been incorporated, as
              shown below. Thanks again for the help.

              Owner Review - Coleman Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag

              Reviewer Profile
              Name: Ben Mansfield
              Age: 29
              Gender: Male
              Height: 6'0" (1.8 m)
              Weight: 180 lbs (81.7 kg)
              e-mail Address: benmansfield27 AT gmail DOT com
              City, State, Country: North Ridgeville, OH, USA
              Date: 1 August 2006

              Backpacking Background

              Over the past 15 years or so, I've tried to average at least one
              weekend trip per month year round, primarily in PA, WV, and VA.
              During the last 8 years, I've tried to take a weeklong trip somewhere
              further, but still usually in the eastern US. I have hiked many
              sections of the AT, and am planning to backpack the 100 Mile
              Wilderness in Maine next year. I consider myself a mid-weight hiker,
              preferring some luxury over an ultralight load. I am also an avid fly
              fisherman, mountain biker, and snow skier, and enjoy sailing my
              homemade dingy.

              Product Information

              Manufacturer: The Coleman Company, Inc.
              Model: Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag
              Manufacturer URL: http://www.coleman.com
              Listed Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg) (as listed on the included stuff sack)
              Measured Weight: 2 lb 6 oz (1.1 kg) (per my 6 lb/3 kg analog scale)
              Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag
              MSRP: $74.99 (website)

              [picture of bag stuffed]
              [picture of bag unstuffed]

              Detailed Product Description

              The Coleman Canyon 32 sleeping bag is an economical warm weather
              sleeping bag suitable for backpacking due to its small pack size and
              light weight. My bag is approximately 6 years old and has been used
              in temperatures ranging from around 20 F (-6.7 C) up to around 80 F
              (26.7 C). I have spent nearly 100 nights in this bag.

              As printed on the included stuff sack, the bag shell is made from 240T
              Ripstop Nylon, and the lining from 190T Nylon. In addition, 16 oz
              (453.6 g) Dupont Thermolite Micro fill insulation provides the
              necessary heat retention. The bag size is given as 32" W x 86" L
              (81.3 cm W x 218.4 cm L).

              According to the manufacturer, the included stuff sack is 7" x 11"
              (17.8 cm x 27.9 cm). By my measurement, the sack is approximately 7"
              x 12.5" (17.8 cm x 31.8 cm). The stuff sack has a flap which covers
              the opening, and two draw strings with spring-loaded closures.

              Unstuffing the Coleman Canyon 32 bag shows a traditional mummy shape
              with a right-hand zipper (right hand as it would be if you were laying
              in it, face up) provided with two pulls. The zipper runs the length
              of the bag, terminating just above the foot box at the bottom and just
              below the hood at the top. A small overlap is provided inside of the
              zipper which can hardly be called a draft tube but serves the same
              purpose in this warm-weather bag. Where the zipper terminates at the
              hood, there is a 3.5" (8.9 cm) piece of hook and loop material that
              can be used to hold the bag closed while leaving the zipper unzipped.
              When not in use, the hook and loop material can be doubled back onto
              a second piece which allows it to be secured in an apparent effort to
              minimize skin irritation. Unfortunately, this hook and loop strip is
              the one thing that I really dislike about the bag. I have to
              constantly move it from scratching me, despite it being secured.

              [Picture of hook and loop closure]

              There is a mummy hood with a drawstring to cinch it tight. A second
              drawstring wraps around the chest area, allowing warm air to be
              trapped in the lower portion of the bag. A small pocket just inside
              the sleeping bag over the chest area provides some storage for
              nighttime necessities. This pocket is approximately 6" x 7" (15.2 cm
              x 17.8 cm), with a 1.5" (3.8 cm) piece of hook and loop material
              centered on the opening.

              At first appearance, the fill appears inconsequential, though as I'll
              discuss later it is quite sufficient. The trapezoidal-shaped foot
              box provides ample room for my size 11 (US) feet.

[...]

              temperatures ranging from around 20 F (-7 C) up to around 80 F (27 C).
              I have always used this bag with some type of additional insulation
              between myself and the ground – either a foam or self-inflating
              (Therm-a-Rest) pad.

              Personal Use & Impression

              Use Locations
              My usage of this bag has been exclusively in the Eastern US, including
              a week in Chattahoochee National Forest in Georgia, several weeks in
              the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania, many weekends in West
              Virginia and Virginia, and countless car camping trips in the same
              region.

              Insulating Qualities
              I have always used this bag with some type of additional insulation
              between myself and the ground – either a foam or self-inflating
              (Therm-a-Rest) pad. Overall I believe the 32 F (0 C) comfort rating
[...]

              I tend to be a bit hard on sleeping bags, and of the seven in my gear
              room, this sleeping bag gets the most use and subsequent wear and
              tear. This particular bag did not come with a larger-sized storage
[...]

              1. Hook and loop strip near shoulders scratches skin

              <rayestrella@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ben,
              >
              > I believe this is your first review and it is a very nice start.
              >
              > Edits are below and will follow this format;
              >
              > EDIT: must change
              > Edit: should change, but up to you if you feel it is a style issue
              > Comment: just that, or something for you to think about
              >
              > When you have made the changes post it back here with REPOST in the
              > subject line.
              >
              > Ray
              >

              > ***Backpacking Background
              >
              > EDIT: your bio is 24 words over the 100 word limit. You should
              > tighten it up a bit.
              >

              > ***Manufacturer: Coleman
              >
              > EDIT: it is "The Colman Company Inc."
              >

              > ***Listed Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg)
              >
              > EDIT: the site has it listed as 2 lb 11 oz. You also need the actual
              > weight by you listed.
              >

              > ***Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag
              >
              > EDIT: can you take the "o" out of all your temps please. Just 32 F
              > (0 C) is fine.
              >

              > ***I have spent nearly 100 nights in this bag.
              >
              > Comment: sweet, nothing like sleeping out.
              >

              > ***The pack size is given as 32" W x 86" L (0.8m W x 2.2m L).
              >
              > EDIT: this is the size of the bag not the packed size. Also since
              > you are using inches it would work better to use the common
              > conversion units, in this case cm.
              >

              > *** there is a 3.5" (8.9 cm) piece of Velcro that can be used
              >
              > As Velcro is a trademarked brand name we can not use it in reviews
              > unless we know that that is what the hook and loop material is.
              > Coleman does not say that it is Velcro so you should change it. (All
              > instances, please.)
              >

              > ***ample room for my size 11 (US size) feet.
              >
              > EDIT: ample room for my size 11 (US) feet.
              >

              > ***temperatures ranging from around 20 oF (-6.7 oC) up to around 80
              > oF
              > (26.7 oC).
              >
              > EDIT: since you are rounding off the degrees F go ahead and round
              > off the degree C. "around 20 F (-7 C) up to around 80 F (27 C)."
              >

              > ***either a foam or self-inflating (Thermarest) pad.
              >
              > EDIT: Therm-a-Rest
              >

              > ***Like most bags in my collection, I tend to be a bit hard on
              > sleeping
              > bags.
              >
              > Edit: do you mean that "like most bags in my collection, I tend to
              > be a bit hard on this one"?

            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
                EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Coleman Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag - Ben
                Mansfield

                Hi Ben,

                This looks great. Just one edit. You can make the change and post it
                as a HTML file in the Tests/Owner Reviews section on
                Backpackgeartest.org After you login it will be at the end of the
                catagories list. Let me know here when it is in place.

                Almost there…

                Ray

                ****Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag

                EDIT: Can you please remove the "o" that you have as a degree mark?
                Just 32 F (0 C) is fine.
              • ben.mansfield
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Thanks, Ray. Guess I missed one in the original edit. All fixed now,
                  and it's in the test folder under Owner Reviews...

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Coleman%20Canyon%20Sleeping%20Bag/

                  Thanks again for your help.

                  Ben

                  <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                  > EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Coleman Canyon 32 Sleeping Bag - Ben
                  > Mansfield
                  >

                  > Hi Ben,
                  >
                  > This looks great. Just one edit. You can make the change and post it
                  > as a HTML file in the Tests/Owner Reviews section on
                  > Backpackgeartest.org After you login it will be at the end of the
                  > catagories list. Let me know here when it is in place.
                  >
                  > Almost there…
                  >
                  > Ray
                  >

                  > ****Product Description: 32oF (0oC) Rated Sleeping Bag
                  >
                  > EDIT: Can you please remove the "o" that you have as a degree mark?
                  > Just 32 F (0 C) is fine.

                • rayestrella1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Hi Ben,

                    Your HTML looks good. I love the picture of the hook and loop. Humor
                    is a good thing, ask me…

                    There are a couple of extra line spaces that got added during
                    upload. They don't look bad; I will leave it to you if you want to
                    get rid of them. Please put the current date on it and you are ready
                    to go.

                    I would like to say that this is an excellent first review Ben.
                    Sleeping bags are a harder item to review "right" than most people
                    think. You nailed it. I will look forward to your next review.

                    Ray

                    Once you've made these changes, please post the HTML version of your
                    review, including any pictures (which are always a welcome addition),
                    to the Test area of the site. You can find it at the very end of the
                    list of review categories after you log in to backpackgeartest.org,
                    or you can click this link:

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

                    After successfully uploading it view the test version in your
                    browser to make sure it looks good and all links work as expected.
                    Remember that what you see here is what the rest of the world will
                    see. If you have trouble with this or questions about posting, I
                    encourage you to ask questions at our companion Yahoo! support group
                    at:

                    Once everything is ready to go, you may upload your final HTML report
                    on BGT at:

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
                    20Bags/Coleman%20Canyon%2032%20sleeping%20bag/

                    Log in to BGT, then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload Report,"
                    be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
                    instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures (if any).

                    Thanks for the Owner Review!
                  • ben.mansfield
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Ok, all set. Thanks for your help and the kind words, Ray. I tried
                      to be as thorough as possible, but welcome any comments from you
                      and/or the entire group on general formatting, things to include (or
                      exclude), etc. in the future.

                      BTW, there's nothing funny about an itchy shoulder ;-).

                      I guess I'll get working on my next OR.

                      Thanks Again,

                      Ben