Re: Light Weight Crampons

  • Justin Vlietstra
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1 12:05 PM
      Any of the mountains in the northeast would be suitable in April. White
      Mountains, Adirondacks, Catskills. I hike in the Adirondacks and I've been
      chest deep in snow in mid June (although that is rare). Snow was pretty
      much gone by memorial day last year. Snowshoes and/or crampons are
      definitely needed to climb the high peaks in early may. The trails are
      usually still well packed snow and ice. I'll probably go on at least one
      trip up there in April so I'll volunteer to test the crampons. It is
      definitely late though. I have 4 more backpacking trips planned in the
      Adirondack high peaks this winter, but the last of them is mid march.

      side. Is there any place back east that would still have ice then?
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2 12:11 PM
        The best I can offer is that we see whats what on april 1st.  I know some of the higher peaks...like giant, marcy, wolf jaw etc may still have some white stuff in april..but you never know...if its there I'll climb it!
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3 8:22 AM
          I have seen snow in the adirondacks as late as june...but I have also seen it ice-less by april 1st...

          I -----Original Message-----
          From: Gear Tester <geartester@...>
          To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:09 AM

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5 11:36 AM
            Hi Jerry,

            I would definitely like to be considered for the Kahtoola test. At a
            minimum, I would be able to do some testing in the White Mountains in patchy
            snow and ice. I could seek out hikes to higher elevations to give myself
            maximum testing time for the crampons. Given the Kahtoola website however,
            I'm sure their ideal testers should be able to put them on and wear them all
            day. I doubt those conditions will exist in the Whites.

            I would suggest you wait until mid to late March to make a final
            determination about testers in the northeast. By then, we should have a
            better idea of the conditions here in the Whites, the ADKs, and anywhere
            else in the northeast people might be able to try them. With any luck,
            we'll have some late season snows followed by freezing rain and a cold snap.
            :-)

            For myself, though I may not be able to find a day long hike to wear them
            on, I could probably play around with them and try them on a variety of
            footwear, from trail shoes, to Limmers, to Sorels. I wear a men's 12 (or
            women's 13). While they are not supposed to be an equivalent tool, I would
            also compare them with my full 12 point hinged adjustable crampons to help
            others understand both the similarities and differences.

            Thanks for your consideration,

            Mara Factor
            AT99, NH4000'ers

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5 2:40 PM
              Jerry..I couldn't agree more...we have been getting some snow up here the past few days...and forecast is for an additional foot or more tonight!  Yeah...but how it will be in 7 weeks is anyones guess...one of the nice things about the weather in the daks is that if you don't like it...stick around it will be different in a few minutes!!--Original Message-----
              From: Mara Factor <m_factor@...>
              To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Monday, February 05, 2001 11:36 AM

              <cmtocci@...>
              >Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:22:47
              -0800

              Message -----

            • bbaker@noochee.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7 1:31 PM
                > I was offered 5 pairs of Kahtoola light weight, flexible,
                collapsible crampons that fit trail shoes, light boots and winter
                boots. I am interested in at least 2 people that are doing the Sierra
                portion of the PCT this year to be included in the reviews. You keep
                the crampons at the end of the test IF YOU COMPLETE ALL THREE REPORTS
                AS REQUIRED. I CAN'T OVER STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF COMPLETING THE
                REPORTS AS REQUIRED! Check them out at www.kahtoola.com .The first
                production run is sold out but I whined and begged and pleaded and
                got a commitment for the 5 by April 1, 2001 which was the best I
                could do. We'll be testing and reviewing them on
                BackpackGearTest@y... .
                > Jerry

                Jerry-
                I'd like to be considered as a volunteer tester for the Kahtoola
                lightweight crampons. I live in Colorado and the crampons would
                be very handy for early season (April-May) 14er attempts as well
                as high altitude backpacking trips. I have experience with
                mountaineering and vertical ice crampons, so I have some
                (tangentially) related products to compare the Kahtoolas with.

                Brad Baker