Owner Review-Eureka Solitaire

  • greeny7337
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2006
      Tester Bio:

      Name: Scott O'Halloran
      Age: 13
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.56m)
      Weight: 116 lbs. (53kg)
      Email address: Greeny7337@...
      City, State, Country: San Jose, California, United States
      Date: July 7, 2006

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking four years ago in my Boy
      Scout troop. I normally backpack once a month and every summer I do
      about 50 miles (81km) in about four days. Last year I went to Alaska
      for a two week trip covering 70+ miles (113km) hiking. I normally hike
      with 30-40 lbs (14-18kg) in my pack but sometimes I go ultra light and
      hike with only 10lbs (5kg).I normally backpack in sunny and rainy
      weather conditions.

      Eureka Solitaire- Solo Tent

      Manufacturer: Eureka

      Year Purchased: 2005

      Listed Weight: 2lbs. 9oz. (1.16kg)

      Description

      >1 person, 3 season, steak dependant, bivy style tent

      >21.33 (2 sq m) square feet, center height = 2' 4" (71cm)

      >yellow and black nylon

      >Two fiberglass poles

      >attached rain fly

      >8 steaks included

      >mesh ceiling

      The Tent:

      I first saw this tent on my trip to Alaska. I was already looking into
      a solo ten and this one looked comfortable. When I came back I bought
      this tent from Mel Cottons for about 100 dollars (relatively cheap
      compared to most tents).

      The length of the tent is great because it gives you room to sleep and
      also lots of room for your pack since there is no vestibule. The tent
      has two entrances; the most convenient is the roof entrance which
      unzips almost the length tent. The roof is almost completely mesh
      making for some awesome stargazing and great ventilation.

      The rain fly is always connected to the tent so, when it rains all you
      have to do is unroll it and connect the elastic rings to the steaks.
      When the rain fly is up you cannot see outside. You should use a tarp
      under the tent to keep the bottom dry. In the inside there are two
      storage pockets near your shoulders when sleeping and a flashlight
      loop above your head.

      Setting it up:

      The tent is real easy to setup if the ground is soft because you have
      to use the steaks. The poles just slide in and you put the steaks in
      and its up.

      In the field:

      The first time I used this tent was at Cutter Boy Scout Camp situated
      about halfway down the skyline to sea trail in central California. I
      loved it and all my gear fit in to it greatly. On the second night
      somebody half asleep walked backward and fell right on top of the
      front pole and me. The pole broke and I brought it to Mel Cottons and
      they fixed in a couple of weeks. Other than that the tent has been
      great for the two years I've had it. Also the other pole broke after a
      bunch of wear and tear throughout these two years I've had it.

      This tent is real great for lightweight and normal backpacking. I've
      used it on countless trips and it has never weighed my pack down. It
      does well in rain with a tarp under it. The poles are very week and
      break after normal usage. It's very easy to set up but would be much
      harder on hard surfaces. After this tent I think I will buy a roomier
      and durable tent even if it weighs a bit more.

      Pros:

      -lightweight

      -easy to set up

      -long enough for you and your gear

      -mesh roof for stargazing

      Cons:

      -weak poles

      -cramped if your claustrophobic

      -steak dependant

      -no vestibule
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2006
        Hi Scott,

        Welcome to Backpackgeartest.org (BGT) and thank you for posting an
        Owner Review to the yahoo group. Before we can accept your Owner
        Review I would like to inform you that BGT has a policy of not
        allowing anyone under the age of 18 to particpate in the testing
        process. What this means to you is, while you can post as many
        Owner Reviews as you would like, and we are certainly happy to work
        with you on those and eventually see them posted to our main
        webpage, until you turn 18 you will not be able to test any items
        provided through BGT.

        Please let me know if you still want to go forward with the edit
        process on your Eureka Tent Owner Review. If so I will add it to
        our Edit Queue and you will be contacted by an editor within at
        least 10 days.

        Thank you and again welcome.
        Sincerely,
        Jamie DeBenedetto