Thank you Pat McNeilly - Owner Review - Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
        EDIT: Owner Review – Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent – Pat
        McNeilly

        Hi Pat, good review. It looks like we might hike some of the same
        areas if you hike in West Virginia. The Monongahela National Forest
        is one of my favorite backpacking areas, and I've done a little bit
        of the Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National
        Forest.

        Just a few edits, suggestions, and a request for a bit more
        information. When you've made the changes, please REPOST to this
        list.

        Pam Wyant

        **********************
        <http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/>
        MSRP: $ 5.99 US
        Weight: 1 oz (28 g)

        ### EDIT: You aren't clear whether this is the manufacturer's net
        weight, or your measured gross weight. Please clarify. It would be
        best to have both. A measured weight is required.

        Product Dimensions: 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

        ### EDIT: I assume these are your measured dimensions, since I
        doubt the manufacturer specifies dimensions, so please
        add "Measured" to "Product Dimensions".

        There are a number of precautions when using this product. The
        labeling
        indicates that it should be spread evenly over the skin and to use
        just
        enough to cover the skin. The Cutter Stick should not be used over
        broken or sunburned skin and should not be used under clothing. The
        products should also be used sparingly around the eyes and ears.

        ### EDIT: "The *product* should also be used… (no "s" on product)

        The
        label cautions about applying the product on children and recommends
        that when applying it on children it should be applied to your hands
        and
        then rubbed on the child.

        ### EDIT: Avoid using the word "your". Perhaps, "applied to the
        hands of an adult and then rubbed on the child" would work.

        ### SUGGESTION: You might also describe how the packaging works.
        Is it a roll-up product or a push-up product? What do you do to put
        it on?

        Field Conditions:
        I have used this product for the past three months on a wide range of
        trips including a weekend trip to the Michaux State Forest of
        Pennsylvania and dayhikes in the Shenandoah National Park and the
        Norvin
        Green State Forest of northern New Jersey. I also took this as my bug
        repellant on a week long trip in the George Washington National
        Forest
        in central Virginia where I encountered large amounts of heavy rain
        along with a fairly heavy concentration of mosquitoes. The elevation
        on
        these trips varied from 1000 ft to 3200 ft (305 m to 914 m).

        ### EDIT: Since the feet are rounded to the nearest 100, the meters
        should be also, i.e. 300 m to 900 m.

        Product Review:
        I purchased the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent because I hate
        having
        to deal with sprays and lotions when I am on the trail. I have found
        that many other liquid DEET containing products I have used seem to
        leak
        and there are few things nastier than having DEET all over your gear.
        ### EDIT: I have found that many liquid DEET containing products…
        (leave out the "other", since the product you are reviewing isn't
        liquid). OR leave out "liquid" instead.

        ### EDIT: eliminate "your". I.E. …having DEET all over my gear.

        It easily fits into a small pocket, ready for use when you need it.

        ### EDIT: eliminate "you". I.E. …ready for use when *I* need it.

        At those times, I was more likely to reapply the repellent to my
        ears, neck and face which
        might also explain a greater number of bites on my legs.

        ### EDIT: insert a comma after "face"/before "which"
      • mcne4752
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
          Hi Pam,

          Thanks for the edits. I believe I have addressed them all. Below is
          the new text version of the review. I have also placed an HTML version
          on the owner5 review test section.

          We probably cover some of the same hiking areas. I don't get to the
          Monongahela as much as I would like but it is a great area. The GW
          forest is closer and lots of great opportunities for me.

          Pat McNeilly

          Owner Review – Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent

          Review Date: July 11, 2006

          Name: Pat McNeilly
          Age: 43
          Gender: Male
          Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
          Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
          Email address: pmcneilly@...
          <mailto:pmcneilly@...>
          City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, USA

          Backpacking Background:
          I have been hiking for at least 20 years but backpacking for only the
          last three years. Most of my backpacking is done as overnight trips and
          occasional weekend and weeklong trips. My typical packweight is
          approximately 18 to 20 lb (8 to 9 kg) before food or water. Most of my
          backpacking is the three season variety in the mountains of Maryland,
          Virginia, and West Virginia. In addition to backpacking, I also fish,
          hunt, and have been involved in disaster relief. As a result, some of
          my backpacking equipment gets use in a number of different venues.

          Product Information:
          Product: Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Insect Repellent
          Manufacturer: Spectrum Brands, Inc.
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          <http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/>
          MSRP: $ 5.99 US
          Listed Weight: 1 oz (28 g); Measured Weight 1.6 oz (45 g)
          Measured Product Dimensions: 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

          Product Description:
          The Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Insect Repellent is a DEET containing
          product designed to protect the user from mosquitoes, biting flies,
          tick, chiggers, fleas and no-see-ums. The product is a pale yellow
          transparent gel that comes packaged in a white and green 3 in (7.6 cm) x
          1.25 in (3.2 cm) cylinder with an orange 1 in (2.5 cm) screw on cap.
          The product label indicates that it contains 30% DEET as its active
          ingredient. The packaging claims that this product will repel insects
          for up to 8 hours. The gel is pushed up from the bottom of the
          container and then rubbed on the surface of the skin.

          There are a number of precautions when using this product. The labeling
          indicates that it should be spread evenly over the skin and to use just
          enough to cover the skin. The Cutter Stick should not be used over
          broken or sunburned skin and should not be used under clothing. The
          product should also be used sparingly around the eyes and ears. The
          label cautions about applying the product on children and recommends
          that when applying it on children it should be applied to an adult's
          hands and then rubbed on the child. The label also cautions about
          application of the product to children's hands. Lastly, the package
          indicates that it is possible to develop skin reactions to the repellent
          and that the product should be discontinued and the skin washed if a
          reaction occurs.

          The packaging indicates that this repellent will not damage nylon,
          cotton, or wool. However, the packaging goes on to say that the product
          may damage some synthetic fabrics, plastics, watch crystals, leather,
          and painted or varnished surfaces.

          Field Conditions:
          I have used this product for the past three months on a wide range of
          trips including a weekend trip to the Michaux State Forest of
          Pennsylvania and dayhikes in the Shenandoah National Park and the Norvin
          Green State Forest of northern New Jersey. I also took this as my bug
          repellant on a week long trip in the George Washington National Forest
          in central Virginia where I encountered large amounts of heavy rain
          along with a fairly heavy concentration of mosquitoes. The elevation on
          these trips varied from 1000 ft to 3200 ft (300 m to 900 m). The
          temperatures I encountered on these trips ranged anywhere from 52 F to
          87 F (11 C to 30 C).

          Product Review:
          I purchased the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent because I hate having
          to deal with sprays and lotions when I am on the trail. I have found
          that many liquid DEET containing products I have used seem to leak and
          there are few things nastier than having DEET all over my gear. My
          thinking was that I could simply rub on the product when needed, as I am
          not one who likes to use DEET more than necessary. Another reason I
          thought this might be useful is the small size of the container. It
          easily fits into a small pocket, ready for use when I need it. The
          stick also has a screw-on cap which ensures that the lid stays on. I
          liked this rather insignificant feature because it helped ensure that I
          would not be getting the repellent all over other things in my pack.

          I have been using this particular product for the past three months and
          have found that it seems to repel insects well. I can easily apply the
          product to only the areas I feel need coverage. For instance, I can
          focus on the back of my hands or the back of my neck. The stick glides
          on smoothly and is clear and colorless. Since the product is
          colorless, some care needs to be taken when covering larger areas. The
          backs of the arms and legs are harder to see, making application
          somewhat difficult. I also noted that bugs always seem to find an area
          that I did not cover. I found that I could use my hands to spread the
          gel around on larger areas but I felt that this was defeating my purpose
          of using the stick product. The Cutter Outdoorsman Stick does have the
          smell of DEET which I find somewhat objectionable but it is not too
          overpowering.

          During my weeklong trip, I found that the product worked fairly well. I
          did have a number of insect bites primarily around my legs. I believe
          that this was due to incomplete coverage of the repellent. I did not
          feel that I needed to reapply the repellent more that the recommended
          eight hours unless I was sweating very heavily. At those times, I was
          more likely to reapply the repellent to my ears, neck and face, which
          might also explain a greater number of bites on my legs. Over a
          week's time I encountered only two ticks, whereas my companions
          reported finding many more than I was experiencing.

          I find that the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent is small enough to
          easily carry on any hike and convenient to use. I was concerned that
          the 1 oz (28 g) size would not last for multiple outings but there
          appeared to be plenty of product for a number of trips with some to
          spare.

          be easily applied to exposed skin to keep insects at bay. The product
          appears to be best for applying to smaller areas of exposed skin but can
          be used over larger areas if care is taken to get complete coverage.
          The product appears to repel insects for eight hours before
          reapplication is necessary.

          Things I like:

          1. Convenient size
          2. Good repellent qualities
          3. Keeps DEET off hands
          4. Screw on cap

          Things I don't like:

          1. Hard to cover large areas
          2. DEET smell

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
            Approval: Owner Review - Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent - Pat
            McNeilly

            Thanks for the good job Pat. Your Owner Review is approved for upload
            here:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/Insect%
            20Repellents/Cutter%20Outdoorsman%20Repellent/

            Pam Wyant