OR - Dermatone Spot Protection Stick - Gail S.

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
      Wow! I finally finished two OR's today that I have
      been working on for awhile in my spare moments
      (probably a month). This one is in response to
      Andrew's July Call:

      HTML:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Dermatone%20Spot%20Protection%20Stick%20-%20Gail%20S./

      Owner Review:
      Dermatone Spot Protection Stick
      July 5, 2006

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 53
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 140 (64 kg)
      Email: woodswoman2001@...
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
      Photo Album Website:
      http://community.webshots.com/user/isleroyalegirl

      For the last 16 years, backpacking has become a
      passion. I am a four-season backpacker and an
      off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips
      to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my
      trips are in Michigan and Canada. My pack weight
      varies considerably but my base weight is less than 18
      lb (8.16 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who
      averages more than 50 nights a year backpacking in a
      huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Dermatone Laboratories
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Phone: 1.800.225.7546
      Model: Dermatone Spot Protection Stick
      SPF: 23
      Manufacturer's Weight: 0.75 oz ( 21 g)
      MSRP: $6.70 US

      Product Description

      Dermatone is a sunscreen product that comes in several
      different forms including tins, cremes and sticks. The
      product is based on a Swedish formula that was
      developed to protect the skin from harsh cold, wind
      and sun. The formula is specifically waterfree for
      cold weather sports. It forms a barrier on the skin so
      that it can help retain the skin's own moisture. Many
      levels of SPF are available from 18 to 30. Dermatone
      also manufactures other sunscreen products including
      lip balms, and zinc-oxide products. The Dermatone Spot
      Protection Stick SPF 23 is the basis for this review.

      Active Ingredients
      Purpose
      Petrolatum
      51.3 %
      Skin Protectant
      Padimate O
      8.0 %
      Sunscreen
      Benzophenone-3
      4.0 %
      Sunscreen

      The Inactive Ingredients consist of C 18-36 Acid
      Glycol Ester, C 18-36 Triglyceride, Cocoa Butter,
      Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Paraffin and Fragrance.

      Field Information

      I have used Dermatone Sunscreen Products for more than
      twenty years. As a longtime nordic ski racer I first
      noticed them in ski shops that I frequented. Because I
      spent a great deal of time outdoors in brutal windy
      and cold conditions, I was eager to find a sunscreen
      that protected my face from chapping and dryness. I
      actively used other sunscreens but they always left my
      face quite wind burnt and dry. This sunscreen was
      simply different from any others I had ever tried. It
      looked very much like petroleum jelly but was not
      greasy, it was very thick but easy to apply and it
      came in a tin. I was ready to give anything a try to
      combat the elements. I purchased my first tin and the
      rest is history.

      I generously applied the sunscreen to my face before I
      went out on my multi-hour ski trainings and was
      pleased with the results. Like all sunscreens it
      should be applied 30 minutes before exposure. Even
      though a tin looks awfully small it goes a lot way. In
      the early years I bought the tins regularly but when
      the stick form became available I was elated. I had
      some times struggled with opening the tins especially
      if I left them in my cold car for days. The stick form
      was much more conducive to using with cold fingers. It
      also eliminated coating my fingers with the sunscreen
      to apply on my face. It was a cleaner experience all
      around. The stick form differs somewhat from the tin
      version as there is a lot more Petrolatum in the
      latter making the stick a bit less messy in my
      experience. However I still use both products on my
      dry hands and lips to protect them from chapping too.

      Several years ago I started winter backpacking so that
      I could pursue the sport year round. I automatically
      packed the Dermatone Stick to fend off environmental
      exposure on long winter trips. The stick is available
      in several types and sizes so they are easy to
      transport in my waistbelt or parka jacket. I usually
      have them packed in a couple of places so that I can
      access them whenever I want.

      I normally apply the sunscreen while I am still in my
      shelter each morning of a winter trip. My skin absorbs
      it fast and it doesn't feel greasy. I occasionally
      reapply a bit more to my nose and cheeks if the day
      has premium exposure and snow reflection. The layer of
      sunscreen stays on quite nicely all day long. At camp
      I usually wash my face in the evening and reapply it
      each morning.

      I have also used this product in nonwinter months. I
      don't particularly like the feel of it on my skin if
      the temperatures are really hot but then most
      sunscreens at those temperatures feel yucky too. At
      least it doesn't run into my eyes like I've had
      problems with some products when I am sweaty.

      The majority of my backpacking trips and skiing
      excursions were taken either in the state of Michigan,
      USA or in Ontario, Canada. The terrain included hilly
      boreal and deciduous forest, lakeshore and open areas.
      Elevations ranged from 600 ft (183m) to 2000 ft (610
      m) and temperatures ranged from a low of -20F (-29C)
      to a high of nearly 100 F (38 C).

      Overall the Dermatone Spot Protection Stick has been
      not only convenient to use but it is an important part
      of my regime to ward off exposure to harsh weather
      including wind, sun and cold. It has many fine
      qualities that I haven't found combined in any other
      sunscreen product. I would highly recommend it to
      anyone that spends many continuous hours in the
      outdoors.

      Pros:

      * Lightweight
      * Available in tins, sticks or cremes
      * An effective barrier against harsh climate
      * Retards frostbite
      * Many sizes available
      * Stays on skin a long time
      * Sweat proof
      * Waterproof

      Cons:

      * Tins can be hard to open in cold weather (stick
      form is much easier)
      * Expensive
      * Distribution is more limited (sports stores)

      ***Gail***

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, woodswoman
          <woodswoman2001@...> wrote:

          > Wow! I finally finished two OR's today

          Hey lady, what are you doing flooding the OR boards? You trying to
          swamp these guys, or what?

          Uh wait a second....

          Nevermind.

          Ray
        • Jenn K.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            Ray, I think you hold the record for the most owner reviews. How much
            gear do you have? Send some my way.
            Jenn

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, woodswoman
            > <woodswoman2001@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow! I finally finished two OR's today
            >
            > Hey lady, what are you doing flooding the OR boards? You trying to
            > swamp these guys, or what?
            >
            > Uh wait a second....
            >
            > Nevermind.
            >
            > Ray

          • woodswoman2001
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
              <rayestrella@...> wrote:

              > Hey lady, what are you doing flooding the OR boards? You trying to
              > swamp these guys, or what?
              >
              > Uh wait a second....
              >
              > Nevermind.
              >
              > Ray

              Ray,
              Don't worry I'll never catch up to you although I have a lot of ideas
              floating around in my mind for new OR's :)
              Gail
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2006
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K." <jennksnowy@...>
                wrote:

                > Ray, I think you hold the record for the most owner reviews. How
                much
                > gear do you have? Send some my way.
                > Jenn

                Hi Jenn,

                Oh no, I am not even close. One of our compadres is around forty I
                think. Because Dave and I hike in every season and condition we have
                quite a lot of gear. Plus I just love trying new technology. (OK,
                toys) We have a very secure gear room at our office. Dave has one
                side I have the other. Dave is more into UL so his does not use up
                as much space. :-0

                I am trying to get him into BGT. He does stuff I don't like hiking a
                hundred miles in trail runners, and living for a week on bird-seed.
                (At least it looks like it.)

                I do give a lot of gear away, most to my family. The problem is that
                I am taller than any of them so packs and bags don't fit. How tall
                are you Jenn? Ooh that sounds kinda personal. Better take this off-
                forum....