Re: EDIT - OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter

  • tennessee_treader
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2006
      OOP until 7/11. I will finish the rewrite next week.
      Jim

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
      <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Thanks again for the nice work,
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
      > <jwarberg@> wrote:
      >
      > > Manufacturer's Specification Information
      > > (data copied from spec sheet @ www.rei.com)
      >
      > ### Should be from the manufacturer's website
      > (http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/bac
      > kcountry_series/hiker/?
      > conTact_sess_name=71a55e3bd3b7ee558cf1c58b7387fd39)
      >
      > > Manufacturer web site: .... www.katadyn.com.
      >
      > ### This needs to be clickable in the HTML (it's not right now)
      >
      > > MSRP: .................................. $59.95
      >
      > ### Need to add the country (to avoid confusion with other countries
      > like Canada, Australia, etc. which also use the $). "$59.95 US"
      > would work.
      >

      > > Note: any time manufacturer claims are noted in this review, the
      > data
      > > is from the specification sheet that is available for the filter
      > at
      > > www.rei.com.
      >
      > ### You can't use another website for manufacturer's data -- use the
      > manufacturer's website.
      >
      > > Dimensions: ....................... (hard to determine what this
      > > specification meant)
      >
      > ### Usually height/width/depth (at thickest & deepest parts
      > generally)...may also refer to the diameter...not a big deal since
      > the mfg's site only refers to the height.
      >
      > > wide-mouth Nagalene bottles and Camelbak hydration bags; very easy
      >
      > ### "Nalgene" and "CamelBak"
      >
      > > permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
      > > replacement filter (retail price $34.95). Detailed diagrams of the
      >
      > ### Filter or filter cartridge? I think you mean filter cartridge.
      >
      > > Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water
      > > (1.1 quarts) with two tablespoons of bleach through the unit after
      >
      > ### Need metric conversion for the tablespoon measure.
      >
      > > cleaned it after each hike. After the seventh hike, whatever setup
      > in
      >
      > ### "setup"? Not sure what you mean --- perhaps "set up".
      >
      > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
      > are
      > > also available on the Internet and
      >
      > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
      > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
      > product?
      >
      > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
      > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
      >
      > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
      >
      > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
      >
      > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
      > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
      > need to be kept dry)
      >
      > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
      > of
      > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

    • tennessee_treader
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 11, 2006
        Finishing up my re-write this week. I am confused about one item that
        keeps popping up. The tube of lubricant that came with the filter
        cartridge for the rubber seal on it has a label that says "3 gr
        Silicon lubricant", rather than Silicone as you have recommended
        re-writing. So, which spelling do I use?
        Jim (alias, confused in Memphis)

        <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
        > are
        > > also available on the Internet and
        >
        > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
        > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
        > product?
        >
        > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
        > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
        >
        > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
        >
        > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
        >
        > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
        > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
        > need to be kept dry)
        >
        > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
        > of
        > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

      • tennessee_treader
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
          OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter
          June 19, 2006

          Tester Bio
          Name: Jim Warberg
          Age: 45
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6' 0" ( 1.83 meters)
          Weight: 200 Pounds (113 kilograms)
          Email address: jwarberg@...
          City, State, Country: Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.

          Backpacking Background:

          I have 10 years of backpacking experience. I typically make 3-5 trips
          per year. I like to hike the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in
          early spring and late fall. For summer hikes I like to find cooler
          (temperature-wise) destinations, mainly the North Cascades in
          Washington State. I am branching out this year by planning trips to
          Great Basin National Park in Nevada and Rocky Mountains National Park
          in Colorado. I carry a very heavy pack when hiking with my sons. When
          hiking with adults, though, I try and pack lightweight. I have hiked
          portions of the AT and PCT and I like to peak bag.

          Manufacturer's Specification Information
          Product Tested:................... Katadyn Hiker Filter (water filter)
          Weight: ............................... 11.0 ounces (312 grams)
          Height: ............................... 6.5 inches (165 millimeters)
          Hose Length: ....................... 36 inches (914 millimeters)
          Filter medium: .................. Pleated 0.3 micron glass fiber
          carbon core
          Output: ............................. 1 quart per minute (1 liter)
          Pump strokes: .................. 48 per 1 liter (1 quart)
          Cartridge Capacity:......... Up to 200 gallons (depending on water
          quality)
          Manufacturer: .................. Katadyn
          Year of Manufacture: ....... 2004
          Manufacturer web site: ....
          http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/backcountry_series/hiker/

          www.katadyn.com
          MSRP: .................................. $59.95 US

          Tested Performance Information (as delivered)

          Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
          Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6 quarts)
          Pump strokes per liter: .... 47
          Height: .............................. 6.5 inches (165 millimeters)
          Hose Length: .................... 37.5 inches (953 millimeters)
          Cartridge Capacity:......... 27.4 gallons (103.7 liters)
          (Actual pumped capacity
          before having to change filter cartridge)

          Basic Overview The Katadyn hiker is a basic water filtration system.
          It comes with a filter cartridge, pump handle, and accessories to fit
          hydration bladders and canteens. Additionally, it comes with a small
          carrying case for convenient storage in a backpack compartment.
          Manufacturer claims are that the pump filters bacteria and protozoa;
          no claims are made that it can filter out viruses or chemicals.

          Field Conditions

          I have tested this filter on seven hikes and in all four seasons. In
          the Smoky Mountains it was tested under cold and snowy conditions on
          winter and spring hikes with temperatures ranging from 15 to 65
          Fahrenheit (-9 to 18 Celcius) and elevations of 2000 to 5400 feet (610
          to 1646 meters). In Washington state it was tested during dry and
          dusty summer conditions with temperatures ranging from 35 to 75
          Fahrenheit (2 to 24 Celcius) and elevations ranging from 2500 to 7200
          feet (762 to 2195 meters). All water filtered was from lakes and
          streams with water that appeared clean.

          Field information

          After years of using iodine and boiling to purify water, I decided to
          purchase a water filtering system, mostly because I was tired of the
          iodine taste and wanted good tasting water to drink on a hike. I chose
          the Katadyn Hiker Filter, because I found it on sale.

          I have used the filter on four hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains
          National Park and three hikes in the North Cascade Mountains of
          Washington State. I have used and abused the filter in all weather
          conditions (wet, bitter cold, very hot, dusty, muddy, dry,..) and it
          has performed well as a four season filter.

          The positives of this pumping system are ease of use and pumping
          performance. The filter beat the 48 strokes per liter claimed in the
          manufacturer's specifications; it was easy to use and pumped water as
          quickly as I wanted on every occasion.

          Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
          wide-mouth Nalgene bottles and CamelBak hydration bags; very easy to
          setup and fill containers. I also bought an additional fitting for
          Platypus water containers. The pump comes with a somewhat compact bag
          for storage in a backpack; it is a bit of pain to find space for it,
          because it takes up valuable space and weight for a lightweight
          backpacker like me.

          As for the glass/fiber core filter, it remained clean after six trips
          and soiled up on the seventh; I have filtered approximately 27.4
          gallons (104 liters) of water through the unit. The manufacturer's
          specs claim that each cartridge is good for filtering up to 200
          gallons (757 liters) of water, depending on water quality. The filter
          cartridge got dirty in color on the seventh trip after I pumped water
          out of a spring on the Appalachian Trail (AT). I filtered water
          without using the pre-filter on the end of the inlet hose. The water
          looked clean, but there obviously was dirt in it that was imperceptible.

          WARNING: It is critical to always use the pre-filter on the inlet hose
          to avoid any debris from clogging up the filter cartridge. After the
          AT hike (where I pumped without the pre-filter), whatever I had pumped
          into the cartridge that discolored it set up when dried and
          permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
          replacement filter cartridge (retail price $34.95 US). Detailed
          diagrams of the filter and maintenance instructions are available by
          Googling "Katadyn Hiker Maintenance"(a set also comes with the pump).

          Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water (1.1
          quarts) with two tablespoons (29.6 milliliters) of bleach through the
          unit after each hike. After the first six trips, the original filter
          cartridge was still nearly the same color as when I purchased it; I
          faithfully cleaned it after each hike. After the seventh hike,
          whatever set up in the filter cartridge did not come clean by using
          the bleach and water method. After pumping the bleach solution, I
          would hang out the inlet & outlet tubes and set out the filter
          cartridge to dry before putting the pump in its storage pack. I
          trusted the bleach solution to kill bacteria in the hoses and filter
          cartridge. Cleaning instructions can also be found on internet sites
          similar to those found when looking for the illustrated parts
          breakdown. Although the filter and pump can only be cleaned at home,
          that wasn't an issue for me; I have used it for up to six days at a
          time on hikes and only the AT experience was a problem. I would
          suggest bringing some sort of chemical water treatment as a backup, in
          case the unit fails in the field. Even though I did not take care to
          keep the unit from freezing on my hikes, I have not noted any
          perceptible freeze damage.

          The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
          (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.). The pump handle is
          easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump handle
          seal. Katadyn includes a tube of their silicon lubricant in its
          replacement cartridges for lubricating the rubber seal on the filter
          cartridge. The only difficulty that I have had with maintaining the
          pump was taking the filter off for the first time; it was screwed on
          so tight that it seemed impossible to get off (and I am a manly-man).

          The filter is relatively easy to setup and use. For example, time to
          setup, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and
          put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of the inlet
          and outlet hoses are only three feet (91 centimeters), so I did have
          to find a place to sit or hunker down where I was close to the water
          source. The pump handle has a large grip and the handle shaft slides
          smoothly, enabling the expeditious pumping & filtering of water. I
          found the pump easy to use.

          After all that we finally get to taste; this unit pumps water that has
          no perceptible aftertaste (which is exactly what I bought it for).

          Even with my mistake with pre-filtering, I still highly recommend the
          purchase of this water filtration system both for ease of pumping and
          for great tasting water.
        • tennessee_treader
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
            Colonelcorn,
            I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links are "clickable".
            I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
            what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).

            <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
            > are
            > > also available on the Internet and
            >
            > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
            > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
            > product?
            >
            > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
            > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
            >
            > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
            >
            > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
            >
            > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
            > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
            > need to be kept dry)
            >
            > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
            > of
            > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
              <jwarberg@...> wrote:

              > Colonelcorn,
              > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
              are "clickable".
              > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
              > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).

              Jim,

              I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that
              is how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
              silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;

              Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
              table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
              metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
              It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making
              up 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
              occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide
              in different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
              silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
              another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
              sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
              the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the
              form of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is
              also a component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances
              often confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in
              semiconductors because it has a lower reverse leakage current than
              the semiconductor Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily
              grown in a furnace and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric
              interface than almost all other material combinations.

              Ray
            • tennessee_treader
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                I will change the spelling in my report. Thanks for the Infomation.
                Jim

                <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
                > <jwarberg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Colonelcorn,
                > > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
                > are "clickable".
                > > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                > > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).
                >
                > Jim,
                >
                > I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that
                > is how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
                > silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;
                >
                > Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
                > table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
                > metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
                > It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making
                > up 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
                > occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide
                > in different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
                > silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
                > another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
                > sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
                > the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the
                > form of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is
                > also a component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances
                > often confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in
                > semiconductors because it has a lower reverse leakage current than
                > the semiconductor Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily
                > grown in a furnace and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric
                > interface than almost all other material combinations.
                >
                > Ray

              • tennessee_treader
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006

                  Manufacturer web site: .... www.katadyn.ch
[...]

                  seal. Katadyn includes a tube of their silicone lubricant in its
[...]

                • colonelcorn76
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                    Hi,
                    Looks pretty good. I've flagged a few things that once you fix you
                    can upload it to the correct folder this time:
                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water
                    Treatment/Filters/Katadyn Hiker Water Filter/

                    Remember to mark it as an "Owner Review" when you upload it so it
                    gets titled correctly by the site.

                    Thanks again for the nice job,
                    Jim
                    Edit Moderator

                    <jwarberg@...> wrote:

                    > OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter
                    > June 19, 2006

                    ### July 14, 2006

                    > Weight: 200 Pounds (113 kilograms)

                    ### Except for proper names (e.g. Farenheit) units are not
                    capitalized. This should be "pounds"

                    > Output: ............................. 1 quart per minute (1 liter)

                    ### Better to write it as "1 quart (1 liter) per minute" where the
                    metric conversion immediately follows the Imperical measure.

                    > Pump strokes: .................. 48 per 1 liter (1 quart)
                    > Cartridge Capacity:......... Up to 200 gallons (depending on water
                    > quality)

                    ### Need a metric conversion for gallons

                    > Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
                    > Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6
                    quarts)

                    ### You're mixing unit typing here -- sometimes it's metric first
                    (as here) and sometimes Imperial first (as in the mfg specs section
                    above). Please switch to one or the other and stay consistent
                    throughout the review.

                    > The positives of this pumping system are ease of use and pumping
                    > performance. The filter beat the 48 strokes per liter claimed in

                    ### "per liter (quart)"

                    > Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
                    > wide-mouth Nalgene bottles and CamelBak hydration bags; very easy
                    > setup and fill containers. I also bought an additional fitting for

                    ### "set up and"

                    > cartridge. Cleaning instructions can also be found on internet
                    sites

                    ### "Internet" is a proper noun and should be capitalized

                    > The filter is relatively easy to setup and use. For example, time

                    ### "set up and" -- set up as a verb is 2 words, as a noun it's one
                    (setup)

                    > setup, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and

                    ### "set up," ... "break down" is not a compound word
                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 15, 2006
                      It really doesn't matter. As long as the reader understands what the lub is,
                      that is all that is important.

                      Jerry

                      reviews and tests on the planet.

                      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
                      > <jwarberg@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Colonelcorn,
                      > > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
                      > are "clickable".
                      > > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                      > > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).
                      >
                      > Jim,
                      >
                      > I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that is
                      > how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
                      > silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;
                      >
                      > Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
                      > table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
                      > metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
                      > It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making up
                      > 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
                      > occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide in
                      > different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
                      > silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
                      > another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
                      > sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
                      > the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the form
                      > of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is also a
                      > component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances often
                      > confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in semiconductors
                      > because it has a lower reverse leakage current than the semiconductor
                      > Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily grown in a furnace
                      > and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric interface than almost all
                      > other material combinations.
                      >
                      > Ray

                      Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/V4TolB/TM

                      To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ Yahoo!
                      Groups Links
                    • tennessee_treader
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 18, 2006
                        I have made the changes and will try and upload it today or tomorrow
                        morning to the correct folder :) . Thank you for your quidance on my
                        first review.