Owner Review - Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent - Pat McNeilly

  • mcne4752
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
      Per Andrew Priest's recent request, I am submitting an OR for the Cutter
      Outdoorsman Stick Repellent. Below is a tesxt version of the review.

      Pat McNeilly

      Owner Review – Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent

      Review Date: July 5, 2006

      Name: Pat McNeilly
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: pmcneilly@...
      <mailto:pmcneilly@...>
      City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking for at least 20 years but backpacking for only the
      last three years. Most of my backpacking is done as overnight trips and
      occasional weekend and weeklong trips. My typical packweight is
      approximately 18 to 20 lb (8 to 9 kg) before food or water. Most of my
      backpacking is the three season variety in the mountains of Maryland,
      Virginia, and West Virginia. In addition to backpacking, I also fish,
      hunt, and have been involved in disaster relief. As a result, some of
      my backpacking equipment gets use in a number of different venues.

      Product Information:
      Product: Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Insect Repellent
      Manufacturer: Spectrum Brands, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      <http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/>
      MSRP: $ 5.99 US
      Weight: 1 oz (28 g)
      Product Dimensions: 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

      Product Description:
      The Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Insect Repellent is a DEET containing
      product designed to protect the user from mosquitoes, biting flies,
      tick, chiggers, fleas and no-see-ums. The product is a pale yellow
      transparent gel that comes packaged in a white 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in
      (3.2 cm) cylinder with an orange 1 in (2.5 cm) screw on cap. The
      product label indicates that it contains 30% DEET as its active
      ingredient. The packaging claims that this product will repel insects
      for up to 8 hours.

      There are a number of precautions when using this product. The labeling
      indicates that it should be spread evenly over the skin and to use just
      enough to cover the skin. The Cutter Stick should not be used over
      broken or sunburned skin and should not be used under clothing. The
      products should also be used sparingly around the eyes and ears. The
      label cautions about applying the product on children and recommends
      that when applying it on children it should be applied to your hands and
      then rubbed on the child. The label also cautions about application of
      the product to children's hands. Lastly, the package indicates that
      it is possible to develop skin reactions to the repellent and that the
      product should be discontinued and the skin washed if a reaction occurs.

      The packaging indicates that this repellent will not damage nylon,
      cotton, or wool. However, the packaging goes on to say that the product
      may damage some synthetic fabrics, plastics, watch crystals, leather,
      and painted or varnished surfaces.

      Field Conditions:
      I have used this product for the past three months on a wide range of
      trips including a weekend trip to the Michaux State Forest of
      Pennsylvania and dayhikes in the Shenandoah National Park and the Norvin
      Green State Forest of northern New Jersey. I also took this as my bug
      repellant on a week long trip in the George Washington National Forest
      in central Virginia where I encountered large amounts of heavy rain
      along with a fairly heavy concentration of mosquitoes. The elevation on
      these trips varied from 1000 ft to 3200 ft (305 m to 914 m). The
      temperatures I encountered on these trips ranged anywhere from 52 F to
      87 F (11 C to 30 C).

      Product Review:
      I purchased the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent because I hate having
      to deal with sprays and lotions when I am on the trail. I have found
      that many other liquid DEET containing products I have used seem to leak
      and there are few things nastier than having DEET all over your gear.
      My thinking was that I could simply rub on the product when needed, as I
      am not one who likes to use DEET more than necessary. Another reason I
      thought this might be useful is the small size of the container. It
      easily fits into a small pocket, ready for use when you need it. The
      stick also has a screw-on cap which ensures that the lid stays on. I
      liked this rather insignificant feature because it helped ensure that I
      would not be getting the repellent all over other things in my pack.

      I have been using this particular product for the past three months and
      have found that it seems to repel insects well. I can easily apply the
      product to only the areas I feel need coverage. For instance, I can
      focus on the back of my hands or the back of my neck. The stick glides
      on smoothly and is clear and colorless. Since the product is
      colorless, some care needs to be taken when covering larger areas. The
      backs of the arms and legs are harder to see, making application
      somewhat difficult. I also noted that bugs always seem to find an area
      that I did not cover. I found that I could use my hands to spread the
      gel around on larger areas but I felt that this was defeating my purpose
      of using the stick product. The Cutter Outdoorsman Stick does have the
      smell of DEET which I find somewhat objectionable but it is not too
      overpowering.

      During my weeklong trip, I found that the product worked fairly well. I
      did have a number of insect bites primarily around my legs. I believe
      that this was due to incomplete coverage of the repellent. I did not
      feel that I needed to reapply the repellent more that the recommended
      eight hours unless I was sweating very heavily. At those times, I was
      more likely to reapply the repellent to my ears, neck and face which
      might also explain a greater number of bites on my legs. Over a
      week's time I encountered only two ticks, whereas my companions
      reported finding many more than I was experiencing.

      I find that the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent is small enough to
      easily carry on any hike and convenient to use. I was concerned that
      the 1 oz (28 g) size would not last for multiple outings but there
      appeared to be plenty of product for a number of trips with some to
      spare.

      be easily applied to exposed skin to keep insects at bay. The product
      appears to be best for applying to smaller areas of exposed skin but can
      be used over larger areas if care is taken to get complete coverage.
      The product appears to repel insects for eight hours before
      reapplication is necessary.

      Things I like:

      1. Convenient size
      2. Good repellent qualities
      3. Keeps DEET off hands
      4. Screw on cap

      Things I don't like:

      1. Hard to cover large areas
      2. DEET smell

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
          EDIT: Owner Review – Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent – Pat
          McNeilly

          Hi Pat, good review. It looks like we might hike some of the same
          areas if you hike in West Virginia. The Monongahela National Forest
          is one of my favorite backpacking areas, and I've done a little bit
          of the Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National
          Forest.

          Just a few edits, suggestions, and a request for a bit more
          information. When you've made the changes, please REPOST to this
          list.

          Pam Wyant

          **********************
          <http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/>
          MSRP: $ 5.99 US
          Weight: 1 oz (28 g)

          ### EDIT: You aren't clear whether this is the manufacturer's net
          weight, or your measured gross weight. Please clarify. It would be
          best to have both. A measured weight is required.

          Product Dimensions: 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

          ### EDIT: I assume these are your measured dimensions, since I
          doubt the manufacturer specifies dimensions, so please
          add "Measured" to "Product Dimensions".

          There are a number of precautions when using this product. The
          labeling
          indicates that it should be spread evenly over the skin and to use
          just
          enough to cover the skin. The Cutter Stick should not be used over
          broken or sunburned skin and should not be used under clothing. The
          products should also be used sparingly around the eyes and ears.

          ### EDIT: "The *product* should also be used… (no "s" on product)

          The
          label cautions about applying the product on children and recommends
          that when applying it on children it should be applied to your hands
          and
          then rubbed on the child.

          ### EDIT: Avoid using the word "your". Perhaps, "applied to the
          hands of an adult and then rubbed on the child" would work.

          ### SUGGESTION: You might also describe how the packaging works.
          Is it a roll-up product or a push-up product? What do you do to put
          it on?

          Field Conditions:
          I have used this product for the past three months on a wide range of
          trips including a weekend trip to the Michaux State Forest of
          Pennsylvania and dayhikes in the Shenandoah National Park and the
          Norvin
          Green State Forest of northern New Jersey. I also took this as my bug
          repellant on a week long trip in the George Washington National
          Forest
          in central Virginia where I encountered large amounts of heavy rain
          along with a fairly heavy concentration of mosquitoes. The elevation
          on
          these trips varied from 1000 ft to 3200 ft (305 m to 914 m).

          ### EDIT: Since the feet are rounded to the nearest 100, the meters
          should be also, i.e. 300 m to 900 m.

          Product Review:
          I purchased the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent because I hate
          having
          to deal with sprays and lotions when I am on the trail. I have found
          that many other liquid DEET containing products I have used seem to
          leak
          and there are few things nastier than having DEET all over your gear.
          ### EDIT: I have found that many liquid DEET containing products…
          (leave out the "other", since the product you are reviewing isn't
          liquid). OR leave out "liquid" instead.

          ### EDIT: eliminate "your". I.E. …having DEET all over my gear.

          It easily fits into a small pocket, ready for use when you need it.

          ### EDIT: eliminate "you". I.E. …ready for use when *I* need it.

          At those times, I was more likely to reapply the repellent to my
          ears, neck and face which
          might also explain a greater number of bites on my legs.

          ### EDIT: insert a comma after "face"/before "which"
        • mcne4752
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
            Hi Pam,

            Thanks for the edits. I believe I have addressed them all. Below is
            the new text version of the review. I have also placed an HTML version
            on the owner5 review test section.

            We probably cover some of the same hiking areas. I don't get to the
            Monongahela as much as I would like but it is a great area. The GW
            forest is closer and lots of great opportunities for me.

            Pat McNeilly

            Owner Review – Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent

            Review Date: July 11, 2006

[...]

            Listed Weight: 1 oz (28 g); Measured Weight 1.6 oz (45 g)
            Measured Product Dimensions: 3 in (7.6 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

            Product Description:
            The Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Insect Repellent is a DEET containing
            product designed to protect the user from mosquitoes, biting flies,
            tick, chiggers, fleas and no-see-ums. The product is a pale yellow
            transparent gel that comes packaged in a white and green 3 in (7.6 cm) x
            1.25 in (3.2 cm) cylinder with an orange 1 in (2.5 cm) screw on cap.
            The product label indicates that it contains 30% DEET as its active
            ingredient. The packaging claims that this product will repel insects
            for up to 8 hours. The gel is pushed up from the bottom of the
            container and then rubbed on the surface of the skin.

            There are a number of precautions when using this product. The labeling
            indicates that it should be spread evenly over the skin and to use just
            enough to cover the skin. The Cutter Stick should not be used over
            broken or sunburned skin and should not be used under clothing. The
            product should also be used sparingly around the eyes and ears. The
            label cautions about applying the product on children and recommends
            that when applying it on children it should be applied to an adult's
[...]

            these trips varied from 1000 ft to 3200 ft (300 m to 900 m). The
            temperatures I encountered on these trips ranged anywhere from 52 F to
            87 F (11 C to 30 C).

            Product Review:
            I purchased the Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent because I hate having
            to deal with sprays and lotions when I am on the trail. I have found
            that many liquid DEET containing products I have used seem to leak and
            there are few things nastier than having DEET all over my gear. My
            thinking was that I could simply rub on the product when needed, as I am
            not one who likes to use DEET more than necessary. Another reason I
            thought this might be useful is the small size of the container. It
            easily fits into a small pocket, ready for use when I need it. The

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
              Approval: Owner Review - Cutter Outdoorsman Stick Repellent - Pat
              McNeilly

              Thanks for the good job Pat. Your Owner Review is approved for upload
              here:

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/Insect%
              20Repellents/Cutter%20Outdoorsman%20Repellent/

              Pam Wyant