EDIT: REVISED: Owner Review--Asolo FSN 95 -- Ted R-D.

  • nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi Ted -

      Thanks for the review of the Asolo boots - as usual, a fine and
      literate job. I did have a few edits, noted below, but am approving
      your review for upload with those changes made.

      I know you know the drill, but: once you've made these changes, please
      post the HTML version of your review, including any pictures, to the
      Test area of the site. You'll find that at the very end of the list of
      categories for reviews after you log in to backpackgeartest.org, or
      you can click this link:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

      Review the test version in your browser to make sure it looks good and
      all links work as expected. Once everything is ready to go, you may
      upload your final HTML report on BGT at:

      Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Asolo FSN 95 Gore-Tex Boots

      Log in to BGT, then navigate that that folder. Click "Upload Report,"
      be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
      instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures (if any).

      Thanks for another great report!

      - Steve
      BGT OR Editor

      [EDITS:]

      * Manufacturer's stated weight: 21.7 oz (615 g), for a 1/2
      pair size 8 UK(=8.5 US)
      ***EDIT: consider adding a space between "UK" and "("

      * Upper type: water-resistant Suede, 1.6 to 1.8 mm,
      Cordura nylon
      ***EDIT: add imperial equivalent

      The lowest temperature at which I'm comfortable wearing the Asolos is
      around 20 F, (7 C), and I've worn them up to about 85 F (29 C).
      ***EDIT: there appears to be a superfluous comma after "20 F"

      There's also a central tape on the tongue,
      sewn throough into loops, and it's possible to pass the laces through
      this to keep the tongue centered, and I in fact I do this, and it
      works well.
      ***EDIT: "through"

      One of the few serious reservations I have regarding this product
      are the soles.
      ***EDIT: "is the soles" to match number with "One"

      I have weighed the various pros and cons, and ultimately I have
      decided that there's an overall benefit to the Gore-Tex lining, at
      least for me. I recently ordered a replacement pair of these boots on
      sale. I have not not yet worn them, but they appear identical except
      in color. Sad to say, they are no longer available in 13.5; the sizing
      now jumps from 13 to 14, though half sizes are available for less than
      size 12, and Asolo, to their credit, offers both regular and wide
      widths. Oddly, the 14 appears identical to the 13.5 when I hold the
      soles together. A minor annoyance relating to the liners is a small
      metal tag worded "Gore-Tex" that's affixed to both boots. It's a bit
      ironic, but hardly surprising, given the exposed location of the
      label: one of these pulled out, leaving a tiny, neat hole through
      which water can seep. I feel this is a silly design mistake that
      should have been avoided. No big deal, but...
      ***EDIT COMMENT: The notes on the new sizing seem incongruously
      inserted in the middle of the discussion of the Gore-Tex lining -
      consider rearranging

      [END OF EDITS]
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
        Thanks for the edit, Steve, One quick query. I deliberately left the
        leather thickness without an imperial equivalent. I can't recall
        seeing leather thicknesses specified by commercial bootmakers other
        than in metric. I think this is one of those rare measurements that
        doesn't need converting, but I'll be happy to supply it if you
        disagree. Thanks for catching the other errors--for some reason, this
        OR proved dificult to get satisfactory.

        Best,

        Ted.