Re: Owner Review Dual Core pad - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
      wrote:

      > Ray, are these meals considered "Dual Core pads" because they both
      > pad sharp objects on the interior of your pack and pad your belly
      > when you eat them, or what?
      >
      > <grin>
      >
      > You might want to revise the title of your post.
      >
      > <bigger grin>

      Ha! I was rushing and thought I was clicking the right name on the
      drop-down menu from the auto-compleat function. Whoops.

      > It might just be that you've done one review too many this month!
      >
      > <very big grin>

      Yeah you are right. I had the most fun ever writing the spork OR,
      but have a tent OR that I have been slowly fleshing out and went to
      write more on it and just said, no, I have hit the wall. Time to
      focus on some other things.

      Ray
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006

        > Natural High Foods
        >
        > Owner Review
        > June 30, 2006

        This has been added to the queue. I did not list your previous post
        because it did not have any bearing on your placement in the queue.
        Same spot either way,

        jamie d
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:
          > This has been added to the queue. I did not list your previous post
          > because it did not have any bearing on your placement in the queue.
          > Same spot either way,
          >
          > jamie d

          Thanks Jamie,

          That's OK even if it got pushed off. You guys are welcome to get to
          mine whenever you would like if things get busy. I'm easy.

          Ray
        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
            EDIT: Natural High Foods Owner Review -Raymond Estrella

            Overall another great report Ray. Just a few nitpicky edits and
            suggestions. You know the drill – EDIT = change required.
            SUGGESTION = change as you see fit.

            Once you've made the corrections, considering your experience level,
            you can go ahead and upload to the appropriate folder (Found under:
            Food/Packaged Meals/Richmoor Natural High Camping Foods). No need
            to repost here unless there is specifically something you change
            that you want me to look at again.

            Pam Wyant
            **************************

            Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
            over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
            Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
            the Sierra Nevada, and have put 148 miles (238 km) with a pack on my
            back so far this year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am
            making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

            ###COMMENT: Just a suggestion, but you could put in a bit about
            what type of shelter you use, since you still have around 30 words
            to play with before hitting the 100 word limit.

            Weight listed (Tequila Chicken): 5.25 oz (149 g) Actual weight incl.
            packaging: 6.7 oz (190 g)

            ### SUGGESTION: If the manufacturer lists the weight as "net"
            weight, you might list as follows:

            Net weight listed (Tequila Chicken): 5.25 oz (149 g)
            Actual gross weight (incl. packaging): 6.7 oz (190 g)

            The weight is listed at the
            bottom.

            ### SUGGESTION: I think the weight listed at the bottom is net
            weight, so you might specify that. "The *net* weight is listed…"

            On the back is some marketing hype, cooking instructions,
            the ingredient list and nutritional information.

            ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
            information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to obtain
            on the web, and something that those with food allergies or special
            diets are very interested in.

            Field Conditions

            Over the past 15 years I have used these meals on hikes the entire
            length of California. The highest elevation they have been prepared
            at would be two times at 13,200' (4,023 m) near White Mountain. And
            since my favorite hiking spot is the Sierra Nevada range many have
            been made near that elevation in the past.

            ### SUGGESTION: The wording here is a bit awkward. You might re-
            think it – perhaps "They have been prepared as high as 13,200'
            (4,023 m) twice, near White Mountain. And since my favorite hiking
            spot is the Sierra Nevada range, I have made many more at elevations
            nearly as high. Or however else you choose to re-word.

            They have been used in the desert at Joshua Tree National Monument
            (now Park) and Death Valley. I have eaten them in every month of the
            calendar and in every kind of weather. The coldest trip I ate them
            on saw a low of 10 F (-12 C) in 2003.

            ### SUGGESTION: Again a little awkward wording. Perhaps "The
            coldest trip I ate them on was in 2003, where lows were 10 F (-12 C).

            Observations

            A little history is in order here. I started backpacking in 1974. As
            I lived in Twentynine Palms California at the time that meant a lot
            of desert hiking in JT and carrying plenty of water and a lot of
            canned foods.

            ### EDIT: Casual or international readers may not know JT is Joshua
            Tree. You should probably either spell it out here or use the
            abbreviation following the name in the earlier paragraph – Joshua
            Tree (JT) National Monument (now Park).

            I loved the concept and adopted it whole heartedly.

            ### SUGGESTION: My spell checker suggests a hyphen in "whole-
            heartedly".

            I stayed one for the next ten years, then over the next six slowly
            added poultry and finally beef back in to my diet.

            ### EDIT: *into* as one word.

            With the backpacking foods meatless was not a problem as there a lot
            of pasta
            based stuff (spaghetti, macaroni & cheese, etc.) out there.

            ### EDIT: …not a problem as there *is* a lot of pasta based stuff…

            The Natural High line has become my favorite foods because of the
            taste and the fact that they do not use any additives.

            ### SUGGESTION: either make "foods" a singular *food* or eliminate
            it entirely.

            Here it is for three similar chicken entrees I have
            in our gear room. Example 1: 1360 mg, example 2: 1080 mg, and
            example 3: 1480 mg. As can be seen they are way below the norm.

            ### EDIT/SUGGESTION: You need a colon after gear room, which will
            make a lot of colons in that sentence, so I suggestion using dashes
            after the examples. Also, Example does not need capitalized as
            used. (Here it is for three similar chicken entrees I have in our
            gear room: example 1 – 1360 mg; example 2 – 1080 mg; and example
            3: 1480 mg.) Also, to make it clearer, I suggest, "As can be seen,
            Natural High is way below the norm."

            I have had about 15 other entrees besides the ones
            mentioned. All have been very good. I won't try the shrimp entrees
            though.

            ### SUGGESTION: The last sentence sort of stands out as an oddity.
            Perhaps you could work it in another way. Something like "I have
            had about 15 other entrees besides the ones mentioned, although I
            don't like shrimp and haven't tried any of those. All have been
            very good.
            OR: I have had about 15 other entrees besides the ones mentioned.
            All have been very good (Disclaimer: I have not tried any shrimp
            entrees due to personal preference.) Your call on this.

            .Even in January the past two years in snow, here is what I do.

            ### EDIT and SUGGESTION: You need a colon instead of a period at
            the end. I suggest re-wording a bit – "For the past two years, even
            in January in the snow, here is what I do:"

            I prep the meal as needed while I start the water boiling, opening
            any secondary pouches and pulling out the oxygen absorber. I spread
            open the pleat at the bottom of the bag and put it into my balaclava
            so as not to burn my hand. When the water is at a full rolling boil
            I pour it into the bag, give it a quick stir, then seal the bags
            with the zip-strip.

            ### EDIT: …quick stir, then seal the *bag* with the zip-strip

            I then place it, still in my balaclava on my -20
            F (-29 C) sleeping bag and fold the sleeping bag over the meal,
            creating the worlds biggest (and most expensive) cozy.

            ### EDIT: need comma after balaclava.
            COMMENT: Oooohhh… I hope it never leaks.

            I let it sit
            for about 15 minutes instead of the suggested 7 to 10. It turns out
            great and is still to hot to eat.

            ### EDIT: …still *too* hot to eat.

            Then Dump it into a Three Cheese Lasagna and I have Chicken Alfredo,
            hiker style.

            ### EDIT: Then *I dump* it…
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
              wrote:

              > EDIT: Natural High Foods Owner Review -Raymond Estrella
              > ###COMMENT: Just a suggestion, but you could put in a bit about
              > what type of shelter you use, since you still have around 30 words
              > to play with before hitting the 100 word limit.

              Too funny,

              I was working on two multi-tool ORs today and noticed the same thing
              and added to my bio. I had chopped it down last month.

              > ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
              > information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to
              >obtain on the web, and something that those with food allergies or
              >special diets are very interested in.

              I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
              have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to the
              excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back out.

              I have made all of your other edits and suggestions also. As always
              you have an excellent eye for the things that are lacking in my
              writing.

              I am thinking about joining you guys as an editor and state that I
              am not being sarcastic or facetious when I say that I admire and am
              somewhat in awe of your editorial abilities.

              So as always, thank you Pam, for making my scribbles a better review.

              Ray
            • pamwyant
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                > > ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
                > > information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to
                > >obtain on the web, and something that those with food allergies
                or
                > >special diets are very interested in.
                >
                > I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
                > have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to
                the
                > excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back
                out.

                I think that link is perfectly appropriate, although Andrew or Jerry
                will be the final authority on that, since with a few exceptions
                only the manufacturer's main home page is allowed. My vote is for
                this to be one of the few exceptions. We'll see if Andrew or Jerry
                veto my vote. :^)

                You do need to correct the sentence spacing in a couple of places in
                the HTML version where you made changes (the section about sodium
                and your preparation section about January in the snow).

                Otherwise it looks great.

                Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad to hear you are joining the
                editor team. You certainly have the enthusiasm and energy for it.

                Pam Wyant
              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                  wrote:
                  > You do need to correct the sentence spacing in a couple of places in
                  > the HTML version where you made changes (the section about sodium
                  > and your preparation section about January in the snow).

                  Aaaah!

                  See what happens when I stay up a few hours past my bedtime? I thought
                  I checked it out. It is fixed now.

                  Thanks Pam,

                  Ray
                • pamwyant
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                    Hey Ray, the spacing is still off in your HTML version in the section
                    giving the examples of sodium. Can you double check it?

                    Thanks -

                    Pam
                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > Hey Ray, the spacing is still off in your HTML version in the
                      section
                      > giving the examples of sodium. Can you double check it?
                      >
                      > Thanks -
                      >
                      > Pam

                      I think I got it. (Where did we hear that before?)

                      I am at my sister's on her computer for net access. I am shuffling
                      stuff between my laptop and her PC with a thumb drive and it is
                      unwieldy. I need to find a CAT 5 cable and get on their network.
                      YThen I can use my own computer.

                      Ray
                    • Andrew Priest
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                        At 12:56 AM 9/07/2006, you wrote:
                        > > I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
                        > > have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to
                        >the
                        > > excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back
                        >out.
                        >
                        >I think that link is perfectly appropriate, although Andrew or Jerry
                        >will be the final authority on that, since with a few exceptions
                        >only the manufacturer's main home page is allowed.

                        G'day

                        Is the link to a page on the manufacturer's website? If yes, then the
                        answer is no, but you could mention in the Owner Review that the
                        manufacturer's website has a useful information page, titled XYZ or
                        whatever. If the page you are referring to is on another website, can
                        you please provide a link for review.

                        Thanks
                        Sir Andrew
                      • rayestrella1
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Is the link to a page on the manufacturer's website? If yes, then
                          the
                          > answer is no, but you could mention in the Owner Review that the
                          > manufacturer's website has a useful information page, titled XYZ or
                          > whatever.

                          This is what I have done. It is changed.

                          Thanks,