Owner Review Dual Core pad - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2006
      OK guys, my last OR of the month and maybe the summer. I think that
      I can give presentations on writing ORs now. (Notice I did not say
      how to properly write a good OR.) And they are getting more fun to
      write. MealGear was my funnest. (Is that a word? I don't think so.
      Pam or Roger will tell me.) Well the HTML is here;

      http://tinyurl.com/gf622

      Natural High Foods

      Owner Review
      June 30, 2006

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
      over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
      Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
      the Sierra Nevada, and have put 148 miles (238 km) with a pack on my
      back so far this year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am
      making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Richmoor Corporation
      Web site: www.richmoor.com
      Product: Natural High Gourmet Camping Foods (Entrees)
      Year manufactured: varies
      MSRP: $5.75 – $7.00 (US)
      Weight listed (Tequila Chicken): 5.25 oz (149 g) Actual weight incl.
      packaging: 6.7 oz (190 g)

      Product Description

      Natural High Gourmet Camping Foods are the premier line of camping
      and backpacking foods made by the Richmoor Corporation. They also
      produce the Richmoor Homestyle Camping Foods line.

      The meals come in a plasticized foil bag. On each side of the bag is
      a notch to facilitate tearing the top off to get to the contents. A
      half inch (1.2 cm) below the tear notch is a press-to-seal strip
      inside of the bag. On the top of the bag a "best when used by" date
      is stamped into the material. The bottom of the bag is pleated,
      which when spread open creates a stable base for the bag to stand
      on.

      The front of the package has the Natural High name and logo along
      with the name of the entrée itself. The weight is listed at the
      bottom. On the back is some marketing hype, cooking instructions,
      the ingredient list and nutritional information.

      When opened the bag reveals the main ingredients along with a small
      oxygen absorber packet. Many of the meals also contain small plastic
      pouches of secondary ingredients. These are opened and added to the
      main batch before adding the boiling water. Most of the ingredients
      are freeze-dried but some are dehydrated instead.

      All of their entrees are no-cook. They say to add the boiling water,
      stir and let sit for seven to ten minutes before eating. A
      recommendation is given to simmer in a pot for an additional three
      to four minutes when preparing at higher elevations.

      This is quoted from Richmoor's website. I will comment on it below.

      "Our Natural High brand is an all natural, gourmet brand for the
      upscale and discriminating customer. We use ingredients like
      asparagus, snow peas, and wild rice, and combine them with spicy
      seasonings and unique sauces. Natural High contains no artificial
      ingredients or preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial
      flavors - no artificial anything. Also, no MSG has been added, and
      no more added salt than is absolutely necessary for flavor."

      Field Conditions

      Over the past 15 years I have used these meals on hikes the entire
      length of California. The highest elevation they have been prepared
      at would be two times at 13,200' (4,023 m) near White Mountain. And
      since my favorite hiking spot is the Sierra Nevada range many have
      been made near that elevation in the past.

      They have been used in the desert at Joshua Tree National Monument
      (now Park) and Death Valley. I have eaten them in every month of the
      calendar and in every kind of weather. The coldest trip I ate them
      on saw a low of 10 F (-12 C) in 2003.

      Observations

      A little history is in order here. I started backpacking in 1974. As
      I lived in Twentynine Palms California at the time that meant a lot
      of desert hiking in JT and carrying plenty of water and a lot of
      canned foods. This made for heavy packs and a limited number of days
      I could stay out. In 1979 I moved to Idyllwild CA and became hooked
      on mountains. From there I branched out to the San Bernardino
      Mountains (Big Bear area) and then the Sierra Nevada to experience
      them even more. In a little backpacking store in Big Bear I saw my
      first dehydrated food. I loved the concept and adopted it whole
      heartedly. Unfortunately a lot of it was horrible. Plus quality
      control was not all that great. I got sick from what I am sure were
      bad meals on a couple of trips. When Mountain House started hitting
      our area things took a turn for the better.

      In 1978 I did an investigative report on food additives. After doing
      the research for the paper I was so disgusted by what I found (and
      wrote up) that I cut out as many additives as I could from my diet,
      stopped eating refined sugar and became an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I
      stayed one for the next ten years, then over the next six slowly
      added poultry and finally beef back in to my diet. With the
      backpacking foods meatless was not a problem as there a lot of pasta
      based stuff (spaghetti, macaroni & cheese, etc.) out there. But a
      lot of the better tasting brands were not the healthiest. And they
      were all so bland that I started carrying a lot of spices to perk
      them up.

      I think it was 1990 that I tried my first Natural High meal. It was
      a meatless entrée called Cheese Enchilada Ranchero. I loved it and
      it became my favorite evening meal. There were trips that I would
      have it two out of three nights. In 1991 I shared some with my
      brother-in-law who did not ever take freeze-dried food. He became a
      convert. (In fact that meal is still his favorite today.)

      The Natural High line has become my favorite foods because of the
      taste and the fact that they do not use any additives. The sodium
      content in them is half (or less) what is found in other brands.
      Here is the sodium contained in a single serving of the Tequila
      Chicken: 560 mg. Here it is for three similar chicken entrees I have
      in our gear room. Example 1: 1360 mg, example 2: 1080 mg, and
      example 3: 1480 mg. As can be seen they are way below the norm.

      (Note: there are other brands that are natural and contain no
      additives. I do use them. But they are not as flavorful, nor do they
      have the variety.)

      My new favorite flavor is the Tequila Chicken pictured above. I have
      about five of them in the gear room right now. Other stand outs are
      the Beef Enchilada, Three Cheese Lasagna, Honey Lime Chicken and
      Chicken Fajitas. I have had about 15 other entrees besides the ones
      mentioned. All have been very good. I won't try the shrimp entrees
      though.

      Preparation is a breeze. Even when I am at high altitude (most of
      the time) I never put it in a pot for extra simmering. Even in
      January the past two years in snow, here is what I do.

      I prep the meal as needed while I start the water boiling, opening
      any secondary pouches and pulling out the oxygen absorber. I spread
      open the pleat at the bottom of the bag and put it into my balaclava
      so as not to burn my hand. When the water is at a full rolling boil
      I pour it into the bag, give it a quick stir, then seal the bags
      with the zip-strip. I then place it, still in my balaclava on my -20
      F (-29 C) sleeping bag and fold the sleeping bag over the meal,
      creating the worlds biggest (and most expensive) cozy. I let it sit
      for about 15 minutes instead of the suggested 7 to 10. It turns out
      great and is still to hot to eat. I eat it right out of the pouch
      and when I am done the little secondary bags, oxygen absorber and
      the top strip of the main bag all go inside it. I press any trapped
      air out, zip it closed and my meal is all cleaned up.

      I eat the whole thing as a single serving. Sometimes in the warmer
      months it is a stretch to finish it, but in the winter it is no
      problem. In fact I even supplement them at times. I will take a
      package of freeze-dried chicken and add it to the water as I start
      it boiling. (Having increased its amount as necessary.) Then Dump it
      into a Three Cheese Lasagna and I have Chicken Alfredo, hiker style.
      I do the same thing by adding beef to the Three Bean Chili. I have
      found that the Chili needs to sit for at least 20 minutes in
      the "cozy" to properly hydrate the beans. Otherwise some will still
      be crunchy. Same thing goes for the Red Beans and Rice.

      I do not take their breakfast items hiking anymore but I used to a
      lot. They are very good but take more work and clean-up than I want
      to spend anymore. I do still use them when camping.

      I have been very pleased with this line of meals and will
      undoubtedly be eating them for some time to come. This picture was
      taken in May of this year. Look what Ray is going to eat tonight!
      (Right side of the door.)
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
        <rayestrella@...> wrote:

        > OK guys, my last OR of the month and maybe the summer. I think
        that
        > I can give presentations on writing ORs now. (Notice I did not say
        > how to properly write a good OR.) And they are getting more fun to
        > write. MealGear was my funnest. (Is that a word? I don't think so.
        > Pam or Roger will tell me.)

        Well, I can't disappoint you. Nope, funnest isn't a word. :0)

        Subject: Re: Owner Review Dual Core pad

        > Natural High Foods
        >
        > Owner Review
        > June 30, 2006

        <snip>

        > The Product
        >
        > Manufacturer: Richmoor Corporation
        > Web site: www.richmoor.com
        > Product: Natural High Gourmet Camping Foods (Entrees)

        Ray, are these meals considered "Dual Core pads" because they both
        pad sharp objects on the interior of your pack and pad your belly
        when you eat them, or what?

        <grin>

        You might want to revise the title of your post.

        <bigger grin>

        It might just be that you've done one review too many this month!

        <very big grin>

        Pam
      • rayestrella1

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
            wrote:

            > Ray, are these meals considered "Dual Core pads" because they both
            > pad sharp objects on the interior of your pack and pad your belly
            > when you eat them, or what?
            >
            > <grin>
            >
            > You might want to revise the title of your post.
            >
            > <bigger grin>

            Ha! I was rushing and thought I was clicking the right name on the
            drop-down menu from the auto-compleat function. Whoops.

            > It might just be that you've done one review too many this month!
            >
            > <very big grin>

            Yeah you are right. I had the most fun ever writing the spork OR,
            but have a tent OR that I have been slowly fleshing out and went to
            write more on it and just said, no, I have hit the wall. Time to
            focus on some other things.

            Ray
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006

              > Natural High Foods
              >
              > Owner Review
              > June 30, 2006

              This has been added to the queue. I did not list your previous post
              because it did not have any bearing on your placement in the queue.
              Same spot either way,

              jamie d
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:
                > This has been added to the queue. I did not list your previous post
                > because it did not have any bearing on your placement in the queue.
                > Same spot either way,
                >
                > jamie d

                Thanks Jamie,

                That's OK even if it got pushed off. You guys are welcome to get to
                mine whenever you would like if things get busy. I'm easy.

                Ray
              • pamwyant
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                  EDIT: Natural High Foods Owner Review -Raymond Estrella

                  Overall another great report Ray. Just a few nitpicky edits and
                  suggestions. You know the drill – EDIT = change required.
                  SUGGESTION = change as you see fit.

                  Once you've made the corrections, considering your experience level,
                  you can go ahead and upload to the appropriate folder (Found under:
                  Food/Packaged Meals/Richmoor Natural High Camping Foods). No need
                  to repost here unless there is specifically something you change
                  that you want me to look at again.

                  Pam Wyant
                  **************************

                  Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
                  over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
                  Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
                  the Sierra Nevada, and have put 148 miles (238 km) with a pack on my
                  back so far this year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am
                  making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

                  ###COMMENT: Just a suggestion, but you could put in a bit about
                  what type of shelter you use, since you still have around 30 words
                  to play with before hitting the 100 word limit.

                  Weight listed (Tequila Chicken): 5.25 oz (149 g) Actual weight incl.
                  packaging: 6.7 oz (190 g)

                  ### SUGGESTION: If the manufacturer lists the weight as "net"
                  weight, you might list as follows:

                  Net weight listed (Tequila Chicken): 5.25 oz (149 g)
                  Actual gross weight (incl. packaging): 6.7 oz (190 g)

                  The weight is listed at the
                  bottom.

                  ### SUGGESTION: I think the weight listed at the bottom is net
                  weight, so you might specify that. "The *net* weight is listed…"

                  On the back is some marketing hype, cooking instructions,
                  the ingredient list and nutritional information.

                  ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
                  information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to obtain
                  on the web, and something that those with food allergies or special
                  diets are very interested in.

                  Field Conditions

                  Over the past 15 years I have used these meals on hikes the entire
                  length of California. The highest elevation they have been prepared
                  at would be two times at 13,200' (4,023 m) near White Mountain. And
                  since my favorite hiking spot is the Sierra Nevada range many have
                  been made near that elevation in the past.

                  ### SUGGESTION: The wording here is a bit awkward. You might re-
                  think it – perhaps "They have been prepared as high as 13,200'
                  (4,023 m) twice, near White Mountain. And since my favorite hiking
                  spot is the Sierra Nevada range, I have made many more at elevations
                  nearly as high. Or however else you choose to re-word.

                  They have been used in the desert at Joshua Tree National Monument
                  (now Park) and Death Valley. I have eaten them in every month of the
                  calendar and in every kind of weather. The coldest trip I ate them
                  on saw a low of 10 F (-12 C) in 2003.

                  ### SUGGESTION: Again a little awkward wording. Perhaps "The
                  coldest trip I ate them on was in 2003, where lows were 10 F (-12 C).

                  Observations

                  A little history is in order here. I started backpacking in 1974. As
                  I lived in Twentynine Palms California at the time that meant a lot
                  of desert hiking in JT and carrying plenty of water and a lot of
                  canned foods.

                  ### EDIT: Casual or international readers may not know JT is Joshua
                  Tree. You should probably either spell it out here or use the
                  abbreviation following the name in the earlier paragraph – Joshua
                  Tree (JT) National Monument (now Park).

                  I loved the concept and adopted it whole heartedly.

                  ### SUGGESTION: My spell checker suggests a hyphen in "whole-
                  heartedly".

                  I stayed one for the next ten years, then over the next six slowly
                  added poultry and finally beef back in to my diet.

                  ### EDIT: *into* as one word.

                  With the backpacking foods meatless was not a problem as there a lot
                  of pasta
                  based stuff (spaghetti, macaroni & cheese, etc.) out there.

                  ### EDIT: …not a problem as there *is* a lot of pasta based stuff…

                  The Natural High line has become my favorite foods because of the
                  taste and the fact that they do not use any additives.

                  ### SUGGESTION: either make "foods" a singular *food* or eliminate
                  it entirely.

                  Here it is for three similar chicken entrees I have
                  in our gear room. Example 1: 1360 mg, example 2: 1080 mg, and
                  example 3: 1480 mg. As can be seen they are way below the norm.

                  ### EDIT/SUGGESTION: You need a colon after gear room, which will
                  make a lot of colons in that sentence, so I suggestion using dashes
                  after the examples. Also, Example does not need capitalized as
                  used. (Here it is for three similar chicken entrees I have in our
                  gear room: example 1 – 1360 mg; example 2 – 1080 mg; and example
                  3: 1480 mg.) Also, to make it clearer, I suggest, "As can be seen,
                  Natural High is way below the norm."

                  I have had about 15 other entrees besides the ones
                  mentioned. All have been very good. I won't try the shrimp entrees
                  though.

                  ### SUGGESTION: The last sentence sort of stands out as an oddity.
                  Perhaps you could work it in another way. Something like "I have
                  had about 15 other entrees besides the ones mentioned, although I
                  don't like shrimp and haven't tried any of those. All have been
                  very good.
                  OR: I have had about 15 other entrees besides the ones mentioned.
                  All have been very good (Disclaimer: I have not tried any shrimp
                  entrees due to personal preference.) Your call on this.

                  .Even in January the past two years in snow, here is what I do.

                  ### EDIT and SUGGESTION: You need a colon instead of a period at
                  the end. I suggest re-wording a bit – "For the past two years, even
                  in January in the snow, here is what I do:"

                  I prep the meal as needed while I start the water boiling, opening
                  any secondary pouches and pulling out the oxygen absorber. I spread
                  open the pleat at the bottom of the bag and put it into my balaclava
                  so as not to burn my hand. When the water is at a full rolling boil
                  I pour it into the bag, give it a quick stir, then seal the bags
                  with the zip-strip.

                  ### EDIT: …quick stir, then seal the *bag* with the zip-strip

                  I then place it, still in my balaclava on my -20
                  F (-29 C) sleeping bag and fold the sleeping bag over the meal,
                  creating the worlds biggest (and most expensive) cozy.

                  ### EDIT: need comma after balaclava.
                  COMMENT: Oooohhh… I hope it never leaks.

                  I let it sit
                  for about 15 minutes instead of the suggested 7 to 10. It turns out
                  great and is still to hot to eat.

                  ### EDIT: …still *too* hot to eat.

                  Then Dump it into a Three Cheese Lasagna and I have Chicken Alfredo,
                  hiker style.

                  ### EDIT: Then *I dump* it…
                • rayestrella1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > EDIT: Natural High Foods Owner Review -Raymond Estrella
                    > ###COMMENT: Just a suggestion, but you could put in a bit about
                    > what type of shelter you use, since you still have around 30 words
                    > to play with before hitting the 100 word limit.

                    Too funny,

                    I was working on two multi-tool ORs today and noticed the same thing
                    and added to my bio. I had chopped it down last month.

                    > ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
                    > information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to
                    >obtain on the web, and something that those with food allergies or
                    >special diets are very interested in.

                    I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
                    have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to the
                    excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back out.

                    I have made all of your other edits and suggestions also. As always
                    you have an excellent eye for the things that are lacking in my
                    writing.

                    I am thinking about joining you guys as an editor and state that I
                    am not being sarcastic or facetious when I say that I admire and am
                    somewhat in awe of your editorial abilities.

                    So as always, thank you Pam, for making my scribbles a better review.

                    Ray
                  • pamwyant
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                      > > ### SUGGESTION: You might consider listing the nutritional
                      > > information and ingredients, since that sometimes is hard to
                      > >obtain on the web, and something that those with food allergies
                      or
                      > >special diets are very interested in.
                      >
                      > I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
                      > have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to
                      the
                      > excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back
                      out.

                      I think that link is perfectly appropriate, although Andrew or Jerry
                      will be the final authority on that, since with a few exceptions
                      only the manufacturer's main home page is allowed. My vote is for
                      this to be one of the few exceptions. We'll see if Andrew or Jerry
                      veto my vote. :^)

                      You do need to correct the sentence spacing in a couple of places in
                      the HTML version where you made changes (the section about sodium
                      and your preparation section about January in the snow).

                      Otherwise it looks great.

                      Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad to hear you are joining the
                      editor team. You certainly have the enthusiasm and energy for it.

                      Pam Wyant
                    • rayestrella1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                        wrote:
                        > You do need to correct the sentence spacing in a couple of places in
                        > the HTML version where you made changes (the section about sodium
                        > and your preparation section about January in the snow).

                        Aaaah!

                        See what happens when I stay up a few hours past my bedtime? I thought
                        I checked it out. It is fixed now.

                        Thanks Pam,

                        Ray
                      • pamwyant
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                          Hey Ray, the spacing is still off in your HTML version in the section
                          giving the examples of sodium. Can you double check it?

                          Thanks -

                          Pam
                        • rayestrella1
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                            wrote:

                            > Hey Ray, the spacing is still off in your HTML version in the
                            section
                            > giving the examples of sodium. Can you double check it?
                            >
                            > Thanks -
                            >
                            > Pam

                            I think I got it. (Where did we hear that before?)

                            I am at my sister's on her computer for net access. I am shuffling
                            stuff between my laptop and her PC with a thumb drive and it is
                            unwieldy. I need to find a CAT 5 cable and get on their network.
                            YThen I can use my own computer.

                            Ray
                          • Andrew Priest
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                              At 12:56 AM 9/07/2006, you wrote:
                              > > I agree. But as I am attempting to review an entire (as much as I
                              > > have experience with) product line I would like to add a link to
                              >the
                              > > excellent info file on the site. If you want I will pull it back
                              >out.
                              >
                              >I think that link is perfectly appropriate, although Andrew or Jerry
                              >will be the final authority on that, since with a few exceptions
                              >only the manufacturer's main home page is allowed.

                              G'day

                              Is the link to a page on the manufacturer's website? If yes, then the
                              answer is no, but you could mention in the Owner Review that the
                              manufacturer's website has a useful information page, titled XYZ or
                              whatever. If the page you are referring to is on another website, can
                              you please provide a link for review.

                              Thanks
                              Sir Andrew
                            • rayestrella1
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
                                wrote:
                                > Is the link to a page on the manufacturer's website? If yes, then
                                the
                                > answer is no, but you could mention in the Owner Review that the
                                > manufacturer's website has a useful information page, titled XYZ or
                                > whatever.

                                This is what I have done. It is changed.

                                Thanks,