Hey Ray - Asolo Fugitive question

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
      The picture on the bottom of your Asolo Fugitive OR says you were in a
      bit of pain, if you don't mind me asking, why were you in pain? Was
      it the boots?

      jamie
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

        > The picture on the bottom of your Asolo Fugitive OR says you were
        in a
        > bit of pain, if you don't mind me asking, why were you in pain?
        Was
        > it the boots?

        Hi Jamie,

        That trip was supposed to take place one year after we actually did
        it. One week before we left I bought a new pair of boots to handle
        the desert part of the hike. I am a very hot-blooded person by
        nature (no funny comments) and was worried about sweating my feet
        off with the Fugitives. I should not have. I destroyed my feet on
        the hike across the desert. I was told at the ER in Lone Pine to
        quit the hike, and that I might lose one toe. (Not toenail, I lost
        five of those.) I have nerve damage in my right leg to this day. The
        Fugitives and a warmer bag were waiting for me in Lone Pine.

        I had not started journaling my hikes when we did this (2004) but a
        guy from back east wants to do it so bad that I wrote it up for him
        and am going to help him with his logistics. If you want to read
        what I gave him and the pics, give me a shout off-line. I don't want
        to clog the system.

        Ray
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Thanks Ray. I don't have any plans to hike it and I'm not
          interested in the boots but I was still curious about your pain.
          I'm very sorry to hear you had such a rough go and even more so that
          you have lingering damage still. Good to know the toes survived
          though.

          I've been tring to hike the 20 highest (with trails) peaks here in
          AZ but haven't done any in extreme conditions. My toes are a bit
          crooked but I'd like to keep them as they are thank you. :)

          jamie in AZ