EDIT: OR- LEKI Ultralite Makula Titanium Trekking Poles - Shelley LaClair

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      EDIT: OR- LEKI Ultralite Makula Titanium Trekking Poles - Shelley
      LaClair

      EDIT BY: Pam Wyant

      Hi Shelley –
      You have a nice description of the poles and their use. I have
      numerous small edits for you, mostly grammatical, and after the
      corrections, it will make a very nice report. Once you've made the
      corrections, please REPOST to this list and I'll take a second look
      before having you upload the HTML version to the test folder.

      Pam
      ************************

      LEKI Ultralite Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles

      ###EDIT: The date should be on the line following the title. (This
      isn't in the survival guide, but has been requested by Jerry, our
      founder and chief moderator.)

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Shelley LaClair
      Age: 43
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 4" (1.52 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: adkhiker at gmail.com
      Location: Rensselaer County, New York, USA
      Date: June 22, 2006

      ### EDIT: Once you've added the date under the title, don't forget
      to remove it here.

      Backpacking Background

      I have been backpacking since 2000 with my husband in the Adirondack
      Mountains of New York State. I have completed several long distance
      thru-hikes including a month long hike on the Long Trail, Vermont.

      Typically I carry a medium-weight to light-weight pack. I try to stay
      under 25 lb (11.34 kg) for gear, food and water on my longer treks.
      For easy hikes, I carry more because I like life's little luxuries.
      While hiking, I have experienced many weather conditions from hot
      humid days/nights, rainy days/nights to cold nights and frosty
      mornings. Happily, I spend most of my weekends, Spring through Fall,
      backpacking.

      ### SUGGESTIONS: Typically it's best to round conversions to
      similar units, so since you round the weight in pounds to an even
      number, it would be best to round the weight in kg to an even 11.
      Your biography is good, but listing weather conditions in detail
      here is a little redundant since they are given in the field
      conditions section. You could condense the part about the weather
      in your biography, and add some information on what type of shelter
      you use instead, i.e. "I hike in all types of weather, and usually
      use a _______ for shelter."

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: LEKI
      Year: 2003
      Manufacturers Website: http://www.leki.com
      Actual Measurements: collapsed 62cm (24.4 inches) extended 130cm (51
      inches)
      Adjusts to: 130cm (51inches), 125cm (49 inches), 120cm (47 inches),
      115 cm (45 inches), 110cm (43 inches)

      ###EDIT: You need to adjust your spacing in this section. A space
      is needed between the numeral and the unit abbreviation, i.e. 62 cm,
      130 cm, 51 in, etc. Also, since you are abbreviating centimeters to
      cm, inches should be abbreviated to in (with no period after it).

      ###EDIT: You do need the weight of the poles, both the
      manufacturer's stated weight (if available, if not, state not
      available), and your measured weight.

      ### COMMENT: Just a thought, but are these available in different
      sizes? If so, please state which size you have. You might also
      list the color of the poles.

      Easy Lock System, 3 piece telescoping pole
      Materials:
      Pole:Titanium
      Handle: top portion Cor-tec, hand grip with softer black dense
      "foam".

      ###EDIT: Check the manufacturer website for the proper way to
      write "Cor-tec". You have it lower case here, but upper case later
      in the report. It should consistently be written the way the
      manufacturer does.

      Tip: Universal Flex Tip "The flexible tip can flex up to 30
      degrees, without damaging the pole shafts. The use of carbide
      provides optimal grip on rock and ice surfaces." (LEKI website)
      Performance Basket "Designed to keep your poles from sinking into
      soft ground or snow." (LEKI webite)

      ###EDIT: *website* (misspelled in the last occurrence)

      Lifetime warranty by LEKI

      Field Conditions
      In 2003, it was Vermont's wettest summer on record since 1903,that
      was
      100 years.

      ### EDIT: Please re-word the above sentence, as it sounds awkward
      as written. A simple way would be "Vermont's wettest summer in 100
      years occurred in 2003", but feel free to re-word a different way if
      you want.

      It rained 23 of the 30 days we were hiking. Conditions
      ranged from wet to wetter with a few days of sunny hot weather thrown
      in to keep us going. 10C (50F) at night to about 27C (81F)

      ### EDIT: Make the section on temperatures a complete sentence
      please. Also you need spaces between each temperature and it's
      suffix, i.e. 10 C, 50 F, etc.

      Trail
      conditions were often slick and muddy and rocks were slippery and
      hazardous in many places. The first 100 miles of the Long Trail (LT)
      coincides with the Appalachian Trail (AT) causing the trail to be
      well
      worn to bedrock in many locations with steep gains/losses throughout
      the entire trail.

      Since 2003 I have used them on a long distance hike in New Hampshire,
      USA on the Cohos Trail (CT).

      ### EDIT: I have used *the poles* or *the LEKI Ultralite Makalu* on
      a long… Also, please spell out Connecticut, in consideration for our
      foreign readers who may not be familiar with our state abbreviations.

      This trail varied from steep and rocky,
      flat grassy snowmobile trails and paved road walking.

      ### EDIT: …from step and rocky, *to* flat…

      The weather was
      mostly sunny and warm 13C (55F) night to 29C (85F) day, with an
      occasional shower.

      ### EDIT: …mostly sunny and warm *, ranging from 13 C (55 F) at
      night to 29 C (85 F) during the day, …

      I always use them when hiking in the Adirondack Mountains of New York
      State, where the valley trails are typically soft and springy with
      muddy patches scattered throughout the trails.

      ### EDIT: I always use *the poles* …

      There are rocky
      inclines/declines and many areas of corduroy and slippery planking.
      I continue to use the LEKI Ultralite Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles
      whenever I am day hiking or going on a backpacking trip. I have used
      the poles in all weather conditions except deep snow.

      Experiences with product

      My first pair of LEKI poles was given to me by my husband for my
      birthday in 2002 for a 130 mile hike in the Adirondacks because of
      ongoing knee problems. I was happy with my Maluka�s anti-shock
      poles

      ### EDIT: Correct the font problem in "Malukai"

      but after we started on the Long Trail in Vermont, USA, my husband
      decided it was time for him to also have trekking poles. We stopped
      in
      a little Manchester, Vermont store and I bought the LEKI Ultralite
      Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles because they were much lighter.
      I was at first apprehensive about going from an anti-shock LEKI pole
      to one without this feature. It also looked a bit flimsy compared to
      my old trekkers.

      ### EDIT: *They* also looked a bit flimsy…

      I have been pleasantly surprised at the ease of use
      and durability of these poles.

      I have a relatively small hands and very small wrists which are prone
      to tendonitis.

      ### EDIT: Remove the "a" in front of "relatively".

      I have found the grip and straps very comfortable
      although I typically hold it lower than my husband who has a much
      bigger hand.

      ### EDIT: …typically hold *them* lower…

      The wrist straps are adjustable by using a coin or other
      object to turn the screw at the top of the handle. A nice feature of
      the nylon straps is that they are lined with a layer of thin
      fleece-like material. I get no abrasions or blisters from the straps.
      There is a right and left hand pole and for the best fit and comfort
      of the strap, I make sure to use the pole that was designated for
      each
      hand. Each pole is marked with either an R (Right hand) or L (Left
      Hand) at the top near the strap adjustment screw.

      The handle has COR-TEC top for the 2.54 cm (1") and then is covered
      with molded black dense "foam" that has some give to it and comfort.

      ###EDIT: As written, this sounds awkward. Adding "a" in front
      of "COR-TEC" top would help, and changing "comfort" to "feels
      comfortable" would sound better. Also, as noted earlier, be sure to
      check and write "COR-TEC/Cor-tec" consistently as the manufacturer
      does.

      ### SUGGESTION: Can you explain what COR-TEC (Cor-tec) is?

      Even when my hands are wet with rain or sweat, I can keep a firm grip
      on the handle since there are formed grooves help eliminate slippage.

      ### EDIT: …grooves *to* help eliminate…

      I have never received any blisters from the grips. I do use the
      straps
      and it is easy to swing the poles without much effort or grip on an
      easy trail. On steep inclines, I use the strap to support my hand and
      wrist to give my self an added boost up the hill. Downhill, I usually
      put my palm at the very top of the handle to give myself support.

      On days that are very hot and my hands sweat, there have been times
      when the handles have smelled a bit like stinky shoes.

      ### EDIT: Again, the above sentence is a little awkward as
      written. Just adding "make" in front of "my hands" would help.

      It usually goes
      away overnight or the handles can be easily washed.

      ### EDIT: *The odor* usually goes away overnight*,* or the handles
      can easily be washed *to eliminate the odor*.

      The LEKI Ultralite Makalu Titanium Trekking Poles have proven to be
      very sturdy. I have repeatedly put my full weight on them and
      trusting
      them when going down very steep descents.

      ### EDIT: Correct the mixed tenses. …put my full weight on them
      and *trusted* them when going…

      They have not bent or
      collapsed with rugged use. On the LT one pole did bend but it was
      after I slipped on a rock and sat on the pole while it was planted in
      the ground and my wrist in the strap.

      ### EDIT: bend*,* but
      ### EDIT: while it was planted in the ground *with* my wrist in the
      strap.

      The bottom third slightly curved
      but did not impact my use of the pole for the rest of the trip. I
      returned the pole to EMS for repair from LEKI at no charge. It was
      returned to me with the bent section replaced.

      ### SUGGESTION: You might give the reader an idea of how long the
      replacement took.

      The tip of the pole works well in most conditions I have encountered.
      On rock there is some vibration of the pole because it does not have
      anti-shock. This was only noticeable to me at first and although I
      know it still exists, I do not notice it any longer. I recently tried
      my older anti-shock poles and I like the fact that my new poles do
      not
      have any give. The tip grips enough on rock to give me balance when I
      need it with little or no slippage. The plastic baskets are well
      suited for the North East (USA).

      ###EDIT: The plastic baskets are well suited for *use in* the
      *northeast United States*.

      I use my poles to test muddy sections
      or depth of water. The baskets keep the poles from really sinking
      into
      the ground. I have used one pole without a basket and found it sunk
      into the ground too deep and the pole was sometimes more trouble than
      what it was worth. I replaced the missing basket.

      The poles are in a three piece telescoping sections.

      ### EDIT: Correct mixed tenses since this is awkward as written.

      The Easy Lock
      System feature when the poles are extended has never loosened with
      use.

      ### EDIT: Again, correct awkward wording in the above sentence.

      I find it easy to change the length of the poles and although
      they are marked with measurements on the barrel of the poles, I just
      loosen the twist locks, make them taller than I normally would use,
      then put my hands on the handles and push down to adjust the height
      of
      each pole to my liking. This is the quickest and easiest way for me
      make adjustments.

      ### COMMENT: This sounds as if you can just push the poles down to
      adjust them and then they stay without further tightening? What
      keeps them from just continuing to slide down when you put pressure
      on them as you use them?

      Conclusion:
      I wouldn't leave home without my LEKI Ultralite Makalu Titanium
      Trekking Poles. I used to have the trail name "Shaky Foot", courtesy
      of my husband and a friend, when I was crossing water or other tricky
      situations.

      ### COMMENT: As written, it sounds like the trail name was only
      used when you were crossing water or in tricky situations. Is that
      what you mean?

      Now with my faithful LEKIs, I use them for balance and to
      leap small obstacles in a single bound.

      ### EDIT: Correct awkward wording. …Now I use my faithful LEKIs
      for balance… OR Now with my faithful LEKIs I no longer have a
      problem with balance and am able to leap …

      It has brought more fun to my
      hikes because I"m less concerned about falling over all the time.

      ### EDIT: Single apostrophe rather than quotation mark in *I'm*.

      The convenience of the poles Easy Lock System allows the telescoping
      poles to shortened enough to strap onto the outside of my pack or
      even
      to placed inside the pack.

      ### EDIT: …to *be* shortened enough… …or even to *be* placed….

      I find it easy to adjust the length as
      needed even while continuing to hike on easy stretches of trail.

      The durability of the poles has been exceptional. I have used them on
      many occasions and surprisingly, the finish is in very good condition
      after two years of hard use. I can still read the measurements for
      length on most of the pole although the spot where I usually adjust
      it
      to is a bit worn off.

      They have taken all my weight on numerous occasions in otherwise
      dangerous situations. They have not failed.
      I often recommend trekking poles to my friends because I like the
      reliability of my LEKI poles. These poles have let me continue to
      hike
      when my knees would have otherwise knocked me out of this sport.