Owner Review - Coppertone Sport Sunblock SPF30 - Brigid Shaw

  • Surel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
      Owner Review: Coppertone Sport Sunblock SPF30
      6/28/06

      Biography:
      Name: Brigid Shaw
      Age: 22
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'10" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 145lb (66 kg)
      Email address: surel3@...
      City, State: Bethesda, MD
      Backpacking Background:
      I'm fairly new to the backpacking scene, although I have done my share
      of camping and day hikes. Although lightweight gear is nice, as a
      recent college graduate my top priority is cheap gear that works. I
      usually keep my pack under 25 lb (11 kg) not including food and water.

      Product information:
      Manufacturer: Coppertone
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      http://www.coppertone.com
      Size: 7 fl oz (207 ml) of spray, plus a bonus 1.5 fl oz (44.4 ml) of
      lotion
      SPF: 30

      Product description:
      This sunblock from Coppertone's sport line came in a 7 fl oz (207 ml)
      spray bottle and also included a smaller "bonus" 1.5 fl oz (44.4 ml)
      bottle of lotion. Both the spray and the lotion are "ultra sweatproof"
      and "waterproof" with a "no slip grip ultra dry formula." They offer
      SPF 30 protection against UVA and UVB.

      I do not have particularly fair skin. I don't burn easily, and when I
      do I generally burn once per summer, it peels off, and then I tan.
      However, I do use sunblock if I plan on being out in the sun for
      extended periods of time and I have no wish to get skin cancer.

      Field Information:
      I bought the bottle of Coppertone Sport sunscreen in preparation for a
      trip to Arizona during the summer. The temperature reached 90 F/26 C
      and elevations around 8000 ft/2500 m, and I used this product for
      around 4 days when I was in the direct sun 6 to 8 hours per day. The
      spray was easy to apply, the only hands-on application being to my
      face. The valve did not clog and neither of the bottles leaked. As I
      was in the field, I reapplied sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours, depending
      on how much sun there was and how much I had been sweating.

      After an hour in the sun, I could feel my skin burning. I reapplied as
      often as I though could possibly be necessary, but all of my skin not
      covered by clothing turned bright red. Unfortunately, we had no plans
      to visit civilization for another week, so I figured I would stick
      with it. I assumed, as usual, that after my first burn I would be
      fine. Instead, my sunburn only got worse. By the end of the fourth day
      the back of my neck and my shoulders had blistered and I finally gave
      up and convinced a friend to lend me some sunscreen until I could buy
      a different brand. I had no further problems with the new brand.

      circumstances. It's possible that SPF 30 was too little, at least in
      Coppertone's line, but two other brands of sunscreen of the same SPF
      value worked fine for me in the same conditions. I tried both the
      spray and the lotion, and neither one of them seemed to have any effect.

      Pros:
      -easy to apply

      Cons:
      -as far as I can tell, does not work
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hello Brigid,

          Your edits follow. A pretty straightforward OR (and a damning one). A
          curious business, this. I'd have suggested that the spray was
          defective, except that the lotion failed to work, and it sounds as if
          matters were worse than if you had used none.

          Please correct as noted and post to the Owner Review test folder and
          let me know when this is available for viewing. Thanks!

          Ted

          BGT OR EDITOR

          > Owner Review: Coppertone Sport Sunblock SPF30
          > 6/28/06

          ### EDIT: To avoid confusion between US and UK dates, it's better to
          spell this out: June 28, 2006

          > Biography:
          > Name: Brigid Shaw
          > Age: 22
          > Gender: Female
          > Height: 5'10" (1.8 m)

          ### EDIT: 5' 10" (1.8 m) [space between feet and inches]

          > Weight: 145lb (66 kg)

          ### EDIT 145 lb (66 kg) [space between integer and unit]

          > Email address: surel3@...
          > City, State: Bethesda, MD
          > Backpacking Background:
          > I'm fairly new to the backpacking scene, although I have done my share
          > of camping and day hikes. Although lightweight gear is nice, as a
          > recent college graduate my top priority is cheap gear that works. I
          > usually keep my pack under 25 lb (11 kg) not including food and water.
          >

          > After an hour in the sun, I could feel my skin burning. I reapplied as
          > often as I though

          ### EDIT: thought

          could possibly be necessary, but all of my skin not
          > covered by clothing turned bright red. Unfortunately, we had no plans
          > to visit civilization for another week, so I figured I would stick
          > with it. I assumed, as usual, that after my first burn I would be
          > fine. Instead, my sunburn only got worse. By the end of the fourth day
          > the back of my neck and my shoulders had blistered and I finally gave
          > up and convinced a friend to lend me some sunscreen until I could buy
          > a different brand. I had no further problems with the new brand.

        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
            <erd@...> wrote:

            > Hello Brigid,
            >
            > Your edits follow. A pretty straightforward OR (and a damning one). A
            > curious business, this. I'd have suggested that the spray was
            > defective, except that the lotion failed to work, and it sounds as if
            > matters were worse than if you had used none.

            I found the failure of the sunscreen curious too, especially since I
            have used both the spray and lotion of this brand extensively and
            found it works very well for me. I have to wonder if the sunscreen
            Brigid purchases was old stock and had deteriorated.

            Pam Wyant
          • Brigid
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
              Ted,
              Thanks for the edits. This one was so much easier than my first OR!
              I've posted the review on the test site for your approval.

              Brigid
            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
                Hi Brigid,

                There was some discussion on the editor list regarding your OR,
                because one member uses the same brand and hasn't had a problem. A
                little online research shows that sunscreen's ability to shield is
                strongly influenced by

                1. Age of sunscreen

                and

                2. Storage temperature (no hot cars where possible, it seems).

                If you have the tube/spray still, could you check the date of expiry
                versus your trip date? And do you recall if it was stored for any
                considerable period of time in a hot car? If you no longer have the
                materials, c'est la vie. It transpires that sunscreen deteriorates
                quite fast, which was news to me.

                I'll look over your HTML in due course (I'm going kayaking in a few
                minutes), but I did want to see if you had this info.

                Best,

                Ted.
              • Brigid
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
                  Ted,

                  Unfortunately, neither bottle lists an expiration date. I did buy the
                  sunscreen less than a week before my trip, but it's possible that it
                  had been sitting on the shelf in the store for a while.

                  Brigid
                • edwardripleyduggan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
                    Hello Brigid,

                    I'm approving your OR for upload. I would like you to add a few words
                    to one section, to address certain concerns that were raised by the
                    editors group.

                    ### EDIT: Where you write

                    I bought the bottle of Coppertone Sport sunscreen in preparation for a
                    trip to Arizona during the summer.

                    I'd like you to reword as follows, or use wording to the same effect.

                    "I bought the bottle of Coppertone Sport sunscreen in preparation for
                    a trip to Arizona during the summer, less than a week beforehand. I
                    didn't check the date on the sunscreen packaging at the time. It
                    should have been current stock, but it's worth noting that sunscreen
                    products may deteriorate quite quickly after the recommended expiry
                    date (often found on the crimp of the tube or on the base of the bottle)."

                    Trust that's OK. Please upload to

                    http://tinyurl.com/ju58r

                    When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
                    marked Owner Review.

                    support group,

                    BGTFileUploadHelp @

                    As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
                    Agreement, for which see:

                    that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
                    the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
                    paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

                    For further details see

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

                    You will also need to join:

                    This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

                    However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
                    Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
                    and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                    Congratulations!

                    Ted

                    BGT OR EDITOR