Owner Review MSR Titan Cup Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2006
      Well instead of going hiking this weekend I get to take care of my
      sister's dog that just had major surgery, a young raven with a
      broken foot, 5 fish tanks and a cat that thank god is independant. I
      have read the latest Backpacker, a novel and vevything in the test
      folders. I have watched 3 movies and am bored as heck. So how about
      another OR. Are you getting sick of me?

      Thge HTML is here; http://tinyurl.com/ptkof

      I know that one measurement is missing and the completion of one
      sentance. That will get in as soon as I can get back to the office.

      MSR Titan Ti Cup

      Owner Review
      June 23, 2006

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
      over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
      Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
      the Sierra Nevada, and have put 148 miles (238 km) with a pack on my
      back so far this year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am
      making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research, Inc. (MSR)
      Web site: www.msrcorp.com
      Product: Titan Cup
      Year manufactured: 2004
      MSRP: $29.95 (US)
      Capacity listed: 0.4 l (13.5 fl oz) Actual capacity (to brim)
      measured 14 fl oz (0.41 l)
      Weight listed: 1.9 oz (54 g) Actual weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Height measured: 3.3 in (84 mm)
      Diameter measured: 3.2 in (81 mm)

      Product Description

      The Titan Cup is a compact titanium cup aimed at the gram-counting
      Ultra-Light crowd. It is gray in color. The same as the skin on an F-
      18 fighter, and I like to think helps me hike as fast. (I wish.)

      It consists of a cylindrical body made of, that's right, titanium.
      It has two body-hugging bent wire handles that fold to the sides to
      keep its svelte shape when not needed. When deployed for use they
      stick out from the side of the cup 0.0 in ( mm). The handles are
      held on by a plate that is spot welded to the body of the cup. (See
      photo below.)

      At the top of the cup is a rolled lip to minimize the occurrence of
      burned lips when imbibing hot liquids. On the bottom are a couple of
      stampings. One of the MSR logo and the other

      Field Conditions

      This cup has been on many trips above 14,000' (4,267 m) in the
      Sierra Nevada and White ranges, and has been well below sea level
      twice in Death Valley. It has been used on frigid 17 F (-8 C)
      mornings on the John Muir Trail, and on trips that saw highs to 118
      F (48 C) in the Kern canyon. I have carried it on about 600 miles
      (966 km) of trails in the past two years. It has seen use in every
      park and forest in the Sierra Nevada from Yosemite down to Domeland.

      Observations

      I bought this cup in 2004 as part of my weight reduction gear-
      overhaul that was started in 2003. I had been carrying a REI thermos
      mug for about 15 years, and still do in the winter. The fact that
      it would shave two thirds of the (cup) weight from my load was very
      attractive to me. (All right it was just an excuse to get something
      new, gaahÂ…)

      I liked it from the start. It was immediately apparent that it does
      convey heat to the lip much better than my thermos mug or GSI lexan
      cup do, regardless of the rolled lip. I am now very careful of that
      first sip in the morning.

      On one of my first trips with it I bent it a bit out of round. I
      have always known how strong titanium is. (My father is a ME for
      Lockheed Martin.) I did not factor in the gauge of the metal though.
      It was no big deal, I was able to squeeze it back into to shape with
      no problem.

      MSR suggests that the cup can be nestled into the Titan Kettle to
      help with space issues. I have in fact purchased the Kettle since
      using the cup, but keep my Optimus Crux stove and fuel canister in
      it. (See review.) Instead I keep the cup with my food supplies. I
      pack the cup tightly with things like oatmeal, Gookinaid and coffee
      and cider packets to both take up the space inside it and give it
      support.

      I did add two marks inside of the cup to be able to use it as a
      measuring cup; they can be seen in the picture above. I put them at
      4 and 8 oz (118 and 237 ml). I think that the only thing that I
      would do differently about this cup is to give it some pressed in
      indentations at common measuring units. It would not add any weight,
      and would greatly increase its usability in my opinion.

      I have used it directly on the stove only once. It was hard to keep
      the flame low enough to stay in contact with the cup, and not be
      wasting itself blasting past the sides. The handle got very hot
      needless to say.

      In conclusion I have to say that I really like this cup. What would
      make me I say I love it? Give it measuring marks, and increase the
      size to an even 16 oz (473 ml) at the brim. (Most freeze-dried meals
      take that for reconstituting.) Until then I will keep my Titan cup
      with me on most of my hikes.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          Hi Ray,
          A few typos & corrections to fix and then you're good to upload it
          to BGT at its permanent home:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook Gear/Cooking
          Accessories/MSR Titan Cup/

          You know the drill, make sure it's uploaded as an "Owner Review" and
          that the manufacturer's URL is clickable.

          Thanks again,
          Jim
          Edit Moderator

          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > Capacity listed: 0.4 l (13.5 fl oz) Actual capacity (to brim)

          ### I suggest using "L" for the liters abbreviation. It's difficult
          to tell that it's .4 L vs. .41 in the HTML version.

          > measured 14 fl oz (0.41 l)

          ### Suggest "L"

          > keep its svelte shape when not needed. When deployed for use they
          > stick out from the side of the cup 0.0 in ( mm). The handles are

          ### These are the missing measurements?

          > burned lips when imbibing hot liquids. On the bottom are a couple
          of
          > stampings. One of the MSR logo and the other

          ### And the other what?
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
            <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ray,
            > A few typos & corrections to fix and then you're good to upload it

            Hi Jim,

            It is fixed, checked and uploaded. Thank you very much for your help.
            (I will remember that "L" in the future.)